Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There better not be! That's one reason why I chose GA-PCOM over LECOM. and... because of LECOM's lame dress code. ;)

You should ask more people about this. I guess they are still telling people there is no "official" attendance policy. You should ask some of the preclinical people who are around.

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask more people about this. I guess they are still telling people there is no "official" attendance policy. You should ask some of the preclinical people who are around.

I've heard that some professors give pop quizzes to check attendance but most professors don't mind. I believe TT's done some skipping during his first year and he came out fine. :thumbup: He's been telling us incoming freshmen to learn to distinguish between helpful lectures and not so helpful lectures so that we'll learn to not waste time going to class if we're not getting anything out of it anyways.

Some profs will require attendance and others will not. Most do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that some professors give pop quizzes to check attendance but most professors don't mind. I believe TT's done some skipping during his first year and he came out fine. :thumbup: He's been telling us incoming freshmen to learn to distinguish between helpful lectures and not so helpful lectures so that we'll learn to not waste time going to class if we're not getting anything out of it anyways.

TT gives sound advice. I more or less quit going all together. Apparently most of the faculty there now is completely new, so I don't know much about them.

I will give some advice, though. Go to Matayoshi's lectures. Learn from him. A l of people whined about him but he really does know what he's doing. He forces people to learn physio, not memorize it. This will help you immensely in the years to come.

TT gives sound advice. I more or less quit going all together. Apparently most of the faculty there now is completely new, so I don't know much about them.

I will give some advice, though. Go to Matayoshi's lectures. Learn from him. A l of people whined about him but he really does know what he's doing. He forces people to learn physio, not memorize it. This will help you immensely in the years to come.

New since a few years ago or new since last year? What's the reason for the completely new faculty members? Did the old faculty members receive better offers at other places or were they asked to leave or a mixture?

New since a few years ago or new since last year? What's the reason for the completely new faculty members? Did the old faculty members receive better offers at other places or were they asked to leave or a mixture?

I'm only getting my information second-hand so I don't know how accurate it is, but I believe it's more a matter of people getting better offers. It is my understanding one of the better anatomy professors was swept up by the new MD school opening at UGA in Athens. We were short one embryo professor so I assume he has since been replaced. A couple of new faculty members showed up at the beginning of my second year.

It's not really a red flag I guess, just something to be expected from a fairly-new school. Besides, it really doesn't matter. What you learn is up to you, not your professor.

I'm only getting my information second-hand so I don't know how accurate it is, but I believe it's more a matter of people getting better offers. It is my understanding one of the better anatomy professors was swept up by the new MD school opening at UGA in Athens. We were short one embryo professor so I assume he has since been replaced. A couple of new faculty members showed up at the beginning of my second year.

It's not really a red flag I guess, just something to be expected from a fairly-new school. Besides, it really doesn't matter. What you learn is up to you, not your professor.

I see, well... I'm sure GA-PCOM found some excellent professors so I'm not too worried but hopefully this won't happen every year.

Very true. Thanks for the info and the advice, really appreciate it.
What year are you now?

Actually, I just did some stalking on SDN :laugh: and found out that you are a MSIV. I hope that's going well. How did you like your rotations during 3rd and 4th year?

so i just started working back at school for summer workstudy and met the new embryo professor. shes an MD names chris aldermatt i believe, and has been practicing obgyn for quite a while. she seems pretty cool and she did a guest lecture for us last year and brought a lot of clinical information to the lecture. the other anatomist replacement is also an MD named Vlad S. Don't know anything about him, but I assume he will be teaching a lot with Dr. Fisher during SPOM. I actually think it will be good to be learning SPOM from 2 physicians and 1 phd, as opposed the 3 phd's we had. You may get some good clinical insight that our professors kinds of steered clear from. It's true, two awesome professors left for greener pastures (MCG athens), but hopefully these new guys will work out well for the incoming class. if not, just dont go to class :)

Actually, I just did some stalking on SDN :laugh: and found out that you are a MSIV. I hope that's going well. How did you like your rotations during 3rd and 4th year?

For the most part I liked it. Some are good, some are bad. Some I went outside of their little network and setup on my own. I'm doing a forensic path rotation now and it's actually really cool (if you ignore the stinkers we get) for the most part. Unfortunately I wrap up this week -- right in the middle of an investigation into what appears to be turning into a new serial killer.

I have a question about a part of the curriculum for the first two years. I know it is an integrated curriculum but I was wondering when we hit physiology the hardest? Is it term 1 with gross or term 2 or is it pretty much consistently given across the first year? Or is it hit the hardest in the 2nd year with systems? Its just kinda hard to tell from the schedules when things like path, physio, immuno, biochem and these things are drive home the hardest.

For the most part I liked it. Some are good, some are bad. Some I went outside of their little network and setup on my own. I'm doing a forensic path rotation now and it's actually really cool (if you ignore the stinkers we get) for the most part. Unfortunately I wrap up this week -- right in the middle of an investigation into what appears to be turning into a new serial killer.

Whoa... it's like the show Dr. G. A friend of mine fell in love with pathology and is now in his first year at Emory as a pathology resident. Good luck with everything!

so i just started working back at school for summer workstudy and met the new embryo professor. shes an MD names chris aldermatt i believe, and has been practicing obgyn for quite a while. she seems pretty cool and she did a guest lecture for us last year and brought a lot of clinical information to the lecture. the other anatomist replacement is also an MD named Vlad S. Don't know anything about him, but I assume he will be teaching a lot with Dr. Fisher during SPOM. I actually think it will be good to be learning SPOM from 2 physicians and 1 phd, as opposed the 3 phd's we had. You may get some good clinical insight that our professors kinds of steered clear from. It's true, two awesome professors left for greener pastures (MCG athens), but hopefully these new guys will work out well for the incoming class. if not, just dont go to class :)

Jwalker~ How was the vacation?
Thanks for the insight. It's too bad that we lost the two professors but it sounds like we're gonna have a good team of new professors. And as you've suggested, if they're not good, I'll just skip.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about a part of the curriculum for the first two years. I know it is an integrated curriculum but I was wondering when we hit physiology the hardest? Is it term 1 with gross or term 2 or is it pretty much consistently given across the first year? Or is it hit the hardest in the 2nd year with systems? Its just kinda hard to tell from the schedules when things like path, physio, immuno, biochem and these things are drive home the hardest.

From what I remember, you hit physio really hard in the first term of M2. The big block was Cardiopulmonary/Renal Physiology. GI phys is second term (I think) and taught by Aduonum (I don't even know what she looks like).

I don't remember much physio from M1. SPOM is all anatomy, and not very useful anatomy. Most of what you get pimped on during surgery rotations is surgical anatomy. I don't remember learning about the Triangle of Calot and Calot's node during SPOM. Some of it is relevant, most isn't.

Apparently you do neuro in M1T2.

The last big class, whatever it's called, is micro and a bunch of other crap. Buxton is really good at highlighting what you need for COMLEX I. Yes, they do test you on the minutiae. I remember one question on the morphology of some random bacteria I never heard of.

Jwalker~ How was the vacation?
Thanks for the insight. It's too bad that we lost the two professors but it sounds like we're gonna have a good team of new professors. And as you've suggested, if they're not good, I'll just skip.

So did Dr. McWhorter leave? What about Dr. Jenney? Those two guys interviewed me, and I was looking forward to their classes.

msw. the vacation was awesome! thanks for asking.
old medic, yeah, drs. mcwhorter and MT left, Jenney is still there. Everyone was really bummed out about Dr. McWhorter since he was arguably the best teacher in the school. he made sure to leave his contact info with us and said if any of you guys need assistance or tutoring or something next year, to put you in touch with him. I believe he and dr MT are spending the year building new curriculum for the MCG athens campus that starts next year. he got offered a full professor position at MCG though and a lot more freedom then he had here, as well as a nice pay raise. sucks for us, good for him : /

McWhorter and MT were both great. They will be missed, but I think there is typically a lot of turnover among medical school faculty. These new people should be fine too. Probably a little different slant to things than what we had, but that might not be a bad thing. Just different. Ultimately, most of your learning will be done on your own, in the lab and in the library.

Hey this is probably a dumb question but i swear i can't find anything on this to save my life (no pun intended)
Are incoming PCOM GA students required to be certified in CPR/First Aid before school starts? It seemed like every school I've looked at had this requirement yet I can't find such info about PCOM. I'm currently certified but won't be by the time school starts unless I take the test again.

nope, its part of the curriculum during your first year here, so you will get certified at some point if you aren't already.

Does anybody know where i can find the Proof of Insurance form? The website says the deadline is tomorrow to sign up for PCOM insurance or prove you have your own.

Thanks!

Does anybody know where i can find the Proof of Insurance form? The website says the deadline is tomorrow to sign up for PCOM insurance or prove you have your own.

Thanks!

Sign into nucleus and in the middle column, under Student Health Insurance, you should see GA-PCOM Health Insurance. Click that and under Forms and Waivers click on Annual Proof of Insurance Form. Fill it out and attach it to the email that you will send to [email protected] once you're finished.

Thanks! Just got it in before the deadline...

Thanks! Just got it in before the deadline...

No Problem. I still have to get the medical history form filled out by a doc. I think thats due before classes start.

Yeah whew!

Thanks for the info guys. I had been meaning to enroll into PCOM's health insurance but was out of town and didnt check on it for about 3 weeks.

Also I just picked up my blood titers. If you guys are in Atlanta and want cheap immunizations or dont have insurance call your local county health department as a nice cheap option. Most immunizations are about $10-15 and the blood titers were $25 each (75 total for varicella, MMR, and Hep B).

Does anyone know of events going on for the new class? Trips to six flags or anything? Ways of people getting together before class starts?

Yeah whew!

Thanks for the info guys. I had been meaning to enroll into PCOM's health insurance but was out of town and didnt check on it for about 3 weeks.

Also I just picked up my blood titers. If you guys are in Atlanta and want cheap immunizations or dont have insurance call your local county health department as a nice cheap option. Most immunizations are about $10-15 and the blood titers were $25 each (75 total for varicella, MMR, and Hep B).

Does anyone know of events going on for the new class? Trips to six flags or anything? Ways of people getting together before class starts?

Have you joined the GA-PCOM class of 2013 facebook group? A few weeks ago some people were talking about trips to six flags and to the braves game or something like that.

Hey Guys,

So my computer crashed a few weeks ago and I was planning on buying a new one before school started. I was looking at the mac computers..although I've never used one before. I was wondering if any of you had mac's and if it would be suitable for school. I don't know if we have any specific software we will need to dowload for school, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advise. I basically will need it just for school.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

So my computer crashed a few weeks ago and I was planning on buying a new one before school started. I was looking at the mac computers..although I've never used one before. I was wondering if any of you had mac's and if it would be suitable for school. I don't know if we have any specific software we will need to dowload for school, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advise. I basically will need it just for school.

Thanks!

I recently got a macbook 13 inch and its awesome.

Wise words of Jwalker (2nd year student at GA-PCOM):

"msw...very wise decision. I'm a long time mac user currently using a white macbook for my school computer. i'd say that 1/3 of my class has macbooks, so you will not be the only one when you get here. to answer your question, no, you do not need windows for anything at ga-pcom. the only reason i can think of that you may eventually want windows is in 2 years when you are prepping for boards...there is a really good board prep program called boards bootcamp that a lot of our second-years are using. unfortunately, it is not currently compatible with mac osx. maybe that will change in 2 years, but all the second-years using boards bootcamp have to dual boot into windows or just use the school computers. other than that, you should have no issues. a lot of people run office for mac, and others just bought iwork because you can open, edit, and save .doc and .xls files, and it looks cooler. either one will do, although iwork is a good bit cheaper. have fun with the new macbook, and if you can wait a little longer, a refresh is expected in early june with the yearly back to school promotion (you get a free ipod touch and the discounted education price)."

Thanks msw. That's just what I wanted to hear! :)

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

I say go for TABLET PC. i just bought HP TOUCHSMART and i love it.

You can write your notes on pp slides and read it straight from there.

So you don't have to take paper handout and collect it and carry that heavy weight around.

In radiology and pathology lec. tablet will prove to be very useful.

Yeah whew!

I first got my immunization done from county health dept. They DON'T GIVE QUANTITATIVE RESULTS for TITERS. so I called PCOM philly and they sent me discount form to get titers done from their affiliated clinic.
I had to pay twice for titers.

I'm on the 17" macbook pro. It's the sweetest thing I've ever bought, and this comes from a PC guy...

Thanks msw. That's just what I wanted to hear! :)

No problem. Apple has a great deal going on right now. You get a free iTouch and a free printer when you purchase a macbook!! Also, you get a education discount on your macbook. You have to pay for all three items but if you fill out a rebate form and send it off, they will send you a check within 3 weeks. I was a PC user my entire life and I got use to mac's operating system pretty quickly. Go get it noooooooooooooooow~! :)

I've seen the class scheduled from this past school year, but have a couple of questions:

Do the lectures take up all of the time shown on the schedule, or do any of the professors dismiss class early and allow for study time?

Second, how much time would any of you estimate that you study per day outside of the published class schedule.

Finally, how much time do you devote to lab outside of the published lab sessions?

Thanks!

I agree that the mac book deal is sweet. I actually bought a mac book pro last year with the same deal they have going on right now. I actually ended up selling the touch and with the teacher/student discount came out about even with what I would have spent on a pc (plus i think i ended up with better hardware). I did find a cheap version of win xp on ebay and use both operating systems which is really sweet for software incompatibility issues (which you will have w a mac, sorry). As far as running med programs i have no idea which is better. Id say as long as the mac promotion is going on thats the best deal. If you miss it I'd recommend just going pc all the way. Tablet PCs are cool too!

Just a quick note if anyone is still looking for a place to live: I am a 2nd year who just closed on a new townhouse ~2miles from school down Old Peachtree. It is a swell 3 bedroom 3.5 bath 3-story townhouse in a gated neighborhood. Roommates will be myself and another male 2nd yr plus a third person to be determined. Guy or gal is fine as the bedrooms are all completely private with their own bath. Large hardwood kitchen, furnished livingroom with large HDTV, deck, the works. Best part is that rent will only be 400 plus 1/3 utilities. You won't find a better place than this for school in terms of great place and super cheap. Any more questions or to see the place please contact me by email williamst at pcom dot edu. Not sure if cell phone #s on a public forum are such a swell idea.

Will

Hi everyone!
I already have a two bedroom apartment lined up for immediate move-in. I'm looking for a female roommate that is a non smoker and doesnt have any pets. If interested, email me. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hiii i'm a second year here at Georgia PCOM, i wanted to answer the question regarding class time. If you have seen the schedule you will see that we have a lot of class, sometimes more than other students at other schools. Most of that time will be spent in class, a few teachers let out a little early but most go right to the 50 minute point. most give 5-8 minute breaks per hour.

I personally don't learn as much in class as I do on my own, so a lot of my time out of class was spent in the library. if we got out of class at 4, i would normally take an hour break and study for another 6 or more hours after class. It sort of depends on your study habits and you will definitely see what works best as time goes on.

I loved lab time, and would probably go in extra time a 2-3 times extra each week for an hour or so to make sure i got everything on various cadavers. but I would also stay late sometimes as well. because you guys have some new teachers I have no idea how they will work in the lab but for us our lab was pretty thorough and some people would only go in extra when a test was coming up :) hope that answered some of your questions!! please feel free to PM me and ask more questions. see ya'll at orientation! :):)

e are medical students and I am moving more in town. The apt is a nice roomie 2 bedroom, with your own big bathroom. granite countertops, fireplace, washer and dryer, the other roommate is clean and quiet.

The rent is $440.00 (per person) plus utilities. Lots of benefits living at 5375 Sugarloaf like FREE LAUNDRY and FREE BREAKFAST every morning.

I am looking to move out either November 22nd or December 20th (when our term ends), and looking for someone to take over the least on either of these two dates.

We prefer female student but not a requirement.

http://www.5375sugarloaf.com/

Please contact Rachel at [email protected]

Congrats y'all!

I'm a 4th year at GA PCOM and am selling my textbooks - CHEAP! If you are interested, PM me.