Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oct 17th was the BIG DAY, when found out I was accepted for the class of 2013 at Ga-PCOM! I'm really excited and can't wait to begin my career in medicine next fall. I just wanted to give my CONGRATS to all those accepted for the c/o '13!! For those accepted, have interviews, or still waiting to hear from Ga-PCOM, GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance!! Are you from Georgia?? I'm trying to decide between PCOM-GA, Touro-NY and AZCOM. Really hard decision!

congrats guys, hope to see ya in the fall. rest up now! sleep and dead time will be gone before you know it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance letter a few days ago. I'm going to send my new student form tomorrow. I'm excited, but I have alot of questions (financial aid, where am I going to live, etc etc...). Oh well, I guess I've got a while before I need to get those questions answered. But first thing is first: I have to focus on finishing out classes this semester! Believe me, it is not going to be easy now that I'm already in med school...

Good luck to everybody still going through it all!

congrats! in a few months you will get a binder sent to you that has a checklist of everything you need to do before school starts. it will include some housing suggestions, financial aid info, and other relevant stuff like your nucleus account password, etc. good luck finishing undergrad and hollar if youve got questions.

got accepted also. dont know which school to attend. azcom, pcom-ga, touro-ny. lived in atlanta and liked it. glendale seems nice but dont like rotation sites and cost of tuition. every time i visit ny i like it but its so new. weather doesnt bother me although i live in florida. im goin crazy trying to decide. im leaning towards ny or pcom. i like metropolitan areas.

haha, thats really bizarre. I am in the same exact dilemma (yea which is weird that I already started a facebook group for pcom heh, yea might not go over so well if I decide to go to azcom...).. I have to decide between AZCOM, Touro-NY, and PCOM-ga. and i honestly change my mind every day.

I really liked glendale and AZCOM (i love that its big school, has on campus housing, nice library) and arizona in general, but...tuition is high rotation sites kinda suck, and no ones really heard of it (or at elast on the east coast.)

Touro-NY had really nice caring faculty, but the facilities were sub-par and living in NYC is mad expensive, even if you live in brooklyn!!!!

PCOM-ga, has the name appeal, nice facility, (don't really like the library..too small and where are the books??), really like the people I interviewed with (not sure if that means anything), swanee seems nice and livable.

Just some of my thoughts. Good luck deciding!!

where do you live now? i want to move to ny. the tuition at azcom is 11k more than touro. and in nyc u dont need a car and insurance. i found apartments(studios & 1bdrms) in harlem from 1000-1200/month. i want to live alone and an apt in az is like 700-800/ month. so i think it all evens out with living bc in glendale i would be at 1200-1300 per month for rent & transportation. except for the fact that everything else is more expensive in the city. i guess theres trade offs for everything. i spoke to the dean at azcom and he said about 200 students would rotate in the phoenix area. i dont know where to go. i dont complain much so i think any school will be sufficient for me. just need the textbooks and i'll make the most of it. but im still undecided.

I'm living in Atlanta now. you can find one bedrooms for around 600 in suwanee, near the school. What didn't you like about GA-PCOM?

If you want to move to NYC, I would go for it~!

i lived in midtown i think 805 peachtree, and in atlantic station. anyways, i liked pcom. just think nyc would be a great experience. if i went there i believe id live in suwanee for first 2 yrs and then midtown or buckhead. not expecting to go out much first 2 yrs and if i did its to far from the clubs at night. also im jewish, not religious but like spending time with my family for the holidays. ny is half the price to come home and touro observe all holidays. pcom: the facilities were nice, and just like ny they are a newer school. can you rotate out of state at ga-pcom for yrs 3 & 4? im so indecisive.

haha, thats really bizarre. I am in the same exact dilemma (yea which is weird that I already started a facebook group for pcom heh, yea might not go over so well if I decide to go to azcom...).. I have to decide between AZCOM, Touro-NY, and PCOM-ga. and i honestly change my mind every day.

I really liked glendale and AZCOM (i love that its big school, has on campus housing, nice library) and arizona in general, but...tuition is high rotation sites kinda suck, and no ones really heard of it (or at elast on the east coast.)

Touro-NY had really nice caring faculty, but the facilities were sub-par and living in NYC is mad expensive, even if you live in brooklyn!!!!

PCOM-ga, has the name appeal, nice facility, (don't really like the library..too small and where are the books??), really like the people I interviewed with (not sure if that means anything), swanee seems nice and livable.

Just some of my thoughts. Good luck deciding!!

The library is big enough, and there are more than enough books. Trust me. You'll rarely use that ****. When you get three weeks worth of lecture packets, and they fill up an entire 3" binder, the last thing you'll care about is checking books out from the library.

The online library is excellent. I've used that a hell of a lot more than I've used hard copy books from the library. Especially for radiology, where you can really see the images in hi-res on your computer. There are areas where there is probably some room for improvement, but the library certainly is not one of them, and overall, I think they are doing a pretty good job with my education.

I check this site maybe a couple times a week, and usually just a quick once-over, so I won't see every post. But if any of you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line in a private message or on facebook or whatever. I am a first-year.

To any of the current students, "what do you guys wear to school daily?" Tie, jeans, scrubs, slacks, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed, everybody was in casual clothes (e.g., jeans, polo, t-shirts, etc). The atmosphere was really relaxed, which is another thing I loved about the school.

All Jwalker9 cares about is stealing my school's defensive coordinator.

Dress code is tuxedo.

All Jwalker9 cares about is stealing my school's defensive coordinator.

Dress code is tuxedo.
have you been reading my posts on espn? a poster said that a friend of his told him that muschamps house in Auburn is no longer for sale and there was a jet leaving from Austin to Columbus this afternoon. it all sounds really reliable... just give him back already

You can have Mike Leach. He's cocky and he has a quick wit, and he gives good press conferences and says off-the-wall **** about pirates. He'll score a ton of points, and the defense will be solid, but the stats won't show it because they're on the field all the time. But I promise you the Bama folks will hate him. What more could you possibly want?

Oh and he was in Alabama today. That is true. He was with a couple other coaches though, recruiting some kid.

Congrats on everyone's acceptances!! I'm so excited!!
Question- Will we only get the binder once we pay the big $2000 deposit, or will we still get it by sending the $250 deposit??

Congrats on everyone's acceptances!! I'm so excited!!
Question- Will we only get the binder once we pay the big $2000 deposit, or will we still get it by sending the $250 deposit??
After the $250 deposit. Last year binders came in February and we had our first accepted student luncheon in April. The $200 deposit is due in April I think

Kewl you should definitely go to NY then. And as a fellow Jew (and one that is religious) Atlanta is an awesome place for that/lots of shauls big jewish community, but you cant get better then NY. I would go for it. Honestly, I was really tempted to go to Touro bc of the big community, kashrut, observant school etc etc.

and yes you can rotate out.

i lived in midtown i think 805 peachtree, and in atlantic station. anyways, i liked pcom. just think nyc would be a great experience. if i went there i believe id live in suwanee for first 2 yrs and then midtown or buckhead. not expecting to go out much first 2 yrs and if i did its to far from the clubs at night. also im jewish, not religious but like spending time with my family for the holidays. ny is half the price to come home and touro observe all holidays. pcom: the facilities were nice, and just like ny they are a newer school. can you rotate out of state at ga-pcom for yrs 3 & 4? im so indecisive.

I'm pretty sure the $200 deposit is due soon after you get your letter, and the $2000 is in April. That's what my letter said.

Did you guys get confirmation that they received the $250 deposit? They still haven't cashed my check.

yogi,

what scholl did you decide on?

does anybody know when binders will be sent out? i'm getting kind of anxious...

After I sent the $250 deposit I received a letter that said:

"The Student Affairs Office will send you a "Getting Started at PCOM" binder in late January, 2009, which addresses areas such as student life, housing, orientation, important dates and the academic calendar. The Financial Aid Office will keep you informed about the latest developments in financial aid and will send you a Financial Aid Handbook as well as an application packet as soon as they become available."

That's all I got. Hope that helps a bit. :)

Man... this class thread is dead!

Seriously, you people are going to need to pick it up a bit. Not only is this class thread dead, but like half the posts here are by me and JWalker09, and we aren't even in this class.

Thanks so much Texas, JWalker, and other members from PCOM-GA for your input on SDN. You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all of the valuable information that you guys share. I guess not many people have questions because your class thread and the other PCOM-GA class threads answer a lot of our questions (thats what I assume). I was accepted a while ago and I'm just waiting for the package. Its suppose to be sent to us soon (late January). I sort of don't know what to do with myself these days... currently I work at a hospital and I've been trying to read some books. Should I be doing something to prepare for the school year? Oh, when should I fill out FAFSA? Thanks. :)

Do you guys know where you're living yet? I was thinking of driving to atlanta this weekend and going apt hunting. Any suggestions? Also does anyone know when we start? Is it July or August? Thanks guys! Congratulations to all of you :thumbup: :)

Congrats akanshaS!! I'm not sure where I'll be living but I did look around online. It looks like the most affordable apts are in Lawrenceville. I've heard good and bad things about the area. I'm almost positive school starts in the second week of August.

FAFSA... fill out now. It is available. Get that **** out of the way. Take care of your PLUS loans and all that too if you're going that route.

As for doing something to prepare... nah. If you do anything, I'd say practice reading. It probably doesn't matter what, but make it something you like. If you've got a few free hours, see if you can't sit down and read for a few hours straight. Do this occasionally, and keep trying to improve your comprehension.

Mastery of the material is not typically the hard part of med school. The hard part is adjusting your study skills to meet the demands of the work load. You are going to need to be at a point where you can sit down and read for 5-8 hours at a time, with minimal breaks, and you're going to need to be able to do this with a high level of retention.

To be honest, I feel like I am just now starting to get this down. And even then, there is still a lot of room for improvement. However, I didn't come straight from undergrad. It had been about three years between the last time I was a full-time student and the start of med school. I was, and still am, pretty rusty.

So if you're going to practice anything, practice that. Don't worry about trying to learn **** though. It will be futile. Just try to sharpen your skills.

Don't worry. They start you out easy with SPOM. Then CMBM hits in 2nd term, and that is the beginning of the end of fun. SPOM is tough, but CMBM... have you ever seen the Shawshank Redemption? Remember the part where Andy is in solitary, and the warden comes down to talk to him, and Andy tries to tell him that he's going to stop doing all the accounting stuff for his little scam?

The warden's response is a good metaphor for CMBM. And I'm sure it doesn't get any easier from here.

Thanks for all of the detailed information. I was curious if you have an idea of the number of your classmates that plan to take USMLE in addition to COMLEX?

completely off the brain estimate - 60-70%. Most people want as many open doors and options as possible. we keep hearing from residency directors that the COMLEX is becoming more accepted in the allopathic world, but doing well on USMLE as a DO is a great equalizer if there is any dispute.

Thanks for the advice Texas. That is exactly what I'm trying to do right now. To read and learn to sharpen my study skills. I've been out of school for almost a year and I'm starting to get a little too comfortable with relaxing and having fun. As soon as I get my W2 (which should be very soon) I'm gonna work on the FAFSA.

Have you guys heard anything from 4th years about where they've interviewed for residency? And where they're most likely gonna go? I've PMed sketches and he told me where he interviewed but I'm just curious at what other programs the other 4th years were applying to.

I'm interested in allo programs especially Emory but I've heard that they're not D.O. friendly. I've heard its not impossible but very hard to match into Emory.

By the way, all of PCOM-GA students on SDN are very helpful! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance to GA-PCOM! Enjoy the summer because your lives will soon change:) Anyhow, I know apt hunting can be trying, but I wanted to give you a suggestion that could also make you some money on the side. I live at 5375 Sugarloaf Apt complex and have lived here since starting school in 05. This apt complex is VERY nice and only 5-6 mins away from campus. It is located close to Discover Mills mall, publix, many restaurants and last but not least Walmart. This apt complex will do your laundry for FREE and provide a light breakfast every morning. There is a nice gym with free weights and lovely pool amongst other perks. Here is the website, see for yourself www.5375sugarloaf.com. If you decide you want to live here mention my name (Tiffany Sanders) as your referral source and we can split the referral fee of 500 dollars. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Once again good luck and remember the amount of success you acheive is up to you. Best Wishes.

A surgeon I used to work with used to be the director of an internship program at Baylor College of Medicine, and he will also be involved in the surgery residency that they are about to establish at my (former) hospital. I asked him for some advice, and what he told me was this (paraphrase):

"Since you're at an osteopathic school, take the USMLE. At his program, he said they have nothing against osteopathic students, but that it can be hard to compare COMLEX scores with USMLE scores, and thus, hard to compare applicants. Let's say you've got 150 applicants for a spot, and only 8 of them took only COMLEX, you're going to be at a disadvantage."

Having said that, it really isn't a concern yet. Hell, I haven't even given it much thought.

He also told me that they look VERY closely at your rotation grades, and that pre-clinical grades are virtually meaningless, as long as you don't fail and have to remediate a class.

As for things not to worry about: don't give a **** about Emory at this point. I know you think you're interested in their residency programs, but I'm going to guess that you haven't really taken a look at many residency programs at this point, and you probably wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

When the time comes, if the guy in charge of the program you're interested in has something against you because you're a DO.... **** 'em. There are plenty of programs out there that are just as good, or better. If you take care of business, you'll have plenty of options.

As for allopathic vs. osteopathic programs, there are plenty of good options in both. You would be wise to keep your mind open at this point (so says the guy who has practically pledged his undying love for emergency medicine or trauma surgery... but even then... I'm going to see what else is out there)

Having said that, a big medical system like theirs is going to have plenty of DOs.

It is easy to look ahead right now, but once you get a couple weeks into class, all that nonsense will be the furthest thing from your mind. Everything will slow down for you a lot, and you will be able to focus only on the task in front of you, because you won't have room in your head for anything else.

Okay, back to diseased penises for me. I'll check on here every now and then to see if y'all have any questions.

Good point, thanks Texas. This is the way I see it... when classes begin, I'll be working my butt off and not think about boards or residency programs until I have to later during my second year. But I thought it would be a good idea to look into some residency programs now while I have time so that I have an idea about whats out there. Its probably true that I don't have a clue at what I am looking for in residency programs but I don't think it hurts to look. I was just wondering where 4th year PCOM-GA students have interviewed. I know the match results will come out in Feb and March so I guess I can wait until then to find out.

I've only taled to a couple 4th-years, and they were military, so they had interviewed primarily at those programs.

When you're in school, they have various program directors, residents, etc. come by and talk to us. They'll give you a feel for their programs, and you can talk to them about that sort of thing. You'll also interact with tons of people on rotations where you can get some insight. Then on your interviews, you'll be able to talk to the current residents at these programs, and see how they like it, what they think, whatever you want to know.

Also, you don't really know what kinds of programs you'll be competitive at yet. What if you end up doing not so hot on Step 1, and you need to re-evaluate your options? What if you totally blow the doors off Step 1, and decide you might want to take a shot at ophtho or something that hadn't even entered your mind before?

I'm all for seacrching around on the internet, looking at different programs, and seeing what they're all about. But don't take it too seriously yet. At this time two years from now, you'll have a hell of a lot better idea of what to look for, and in three years, you'll really be able to narrow it down nicely.

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forum and the SDN site. I have browsed the forums before, but this is my first post.

After an agonizing 16 days of waiting after my interview, I have been accepted into the Class of 2013 at GA-PCOM! I'm looking forward to being there and meeting all of you.

I live about 25 - 30 minutes northeast of the school up the I-85 corridor, so will be driving in each morning. My family is well-rooted where we are, so didn't want to have to move.

I hope to see some of you at events later this Spring - Buffie told me that we'd have a "welcome" event, probably sometime in March.

congrats oldmedic, glad to hear the good news. it will be nice to keep your family settled and only drive half an hour down 85 to get to class. we had a welcome event last year and it was a good time. about 2/3 of our class showed up and we all got to eat together, play some get to know you games and ask questions. something to look forward to.

For anybody who's curious, I just called PCOM to see if binders had been sent out yet and was told they would be sent out in a week or so.

Awesome! Thanks for posting that info. I'm actually really excited about getting the binder. I want to get things started already! :D

For anybody who's curious, I just called PCOM to see if binders had been sent out yet and was told they would be sent out in a week or so.

That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

Does anybody know if they have set a date for the new student luncheon? Buffie mentioned that it would maybe be sometime in March.

I haven't heard the date for the luncheon yet either. However, Buffie did also tell me that it would probably be on either a Friday or Saturday in March.

Did any of you interview with me on January 5th?

Does anybody know what type of laptop you'll be bringing to class in the fall? I'm contemplating a tablet, but I haven't decided. Does PCOM have any required specs for a computer?

Thanks!

Congrats to all y'all.
A word of advice:
USe your upperclassmen. They are infinitely more useful as sources of information than anyone that works for GA-PCOM.
Trust me, coming from the first class, we had no one to turn to and have taken ALOT of lumps and hard lessons because of it.

I should rephrase: use all upperclassmen but me. I'm so jaded right now, i'd tell you to go to dental school before it's too late.

Namaste and good luck.

Hey if anybody is starting to look for housing, I have a 3br two bath house that i will be renting out just a few miles from school. Its a fenced in property and on a cult de sac. If you have children its in a great sending district as well. Im a 4th year and would prefer to keep it with PCOM students. Please PM me if you are interested.

Art: a laptop is not required (at least for my class), but is strongly recommended. At least by me.

If you get a tablet, make sure you know how to use it. At the same time, I've heard a lot of these tablets are a little flimsy, and the last thing you want is for your computer to crap out in the middle of a term.

If money is no object (within reason), I'd go with a thinkpad. Those things are bulletproof. With me, money was an object, and I got something on sale.

I'm thinking about buying a mac... has anyone with a mac have any compatibility issues with accessing anything that the school provides? Macs can run windows so I'm guessing there shouldn't be any problems. Just making sure before I spend a whole bunch of money on it.