Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I haven't done my FAFSA yet...am I leaving it horribly late?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do my FAFSA for the school year we're in until August 1st and got the loans I wanted/needed.

Not condoning doing it late. Just saying I did it almost as late as it could be and didn't have problems. But like SkiOtter said, they released it way earlier this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. I've often left mine close to the deadline just because I forget. This year I was planning to do it in January so I haven't done it yet either.

This makes me feel better. I've never actually filled it out before and the early open made me nervous.

No, for undergrad it matters to do it early because I think there's a limited amount of Pell grant money available, but that's not available at all for vet school. Some undergrad schools also tend to have earlier deadlines because they use that info to determine scholarship eligibility, but I think most vet schools have you apply for scholarships during orientation/early first year.

Yep. It's more important to complete the FAFSA earlier in undergrad so that you can be considered for need-based grants (mainly Pell) and a few scholarships. For vet school, you're basically relying solely on loans and you will receive however much you need regardless of when your FAFSA is finished. Scholarships generally go through the individual schools; you'll likely receive some sort of email or notification whenever you are able to apply for them. Just keep in mind that most vet school scholarships are hardly a drop in the bucket at maybe a few thousand at the most, and many students don't get even one. Try for them, for sure, but just realize that they most likely will cover your living costs for a semester at the most and not make so much as a dent in your tuition. Unfortunately. Unless you're insanely lucky and get one of the more substantial award packages.

Reactions: 3 users
Something I was just thinking about today: for many of the people on this thread, you entered 2017 not knowing if you're going to vet school, but you'll be entering 2018 having finished your first semester of veterinary school.

Years are exciting, mysterious things and are often full of great surprises - maybe not always the surprises we expect or want, but always the surprises that move us forward to something new and different.

Good luck to all of you who are applying this cycle! I hope you all hear good news soon. :luck:

Reactions: 22 users
How do scholarships mainly work for schools? I assume its different depending on the school, but for me, though it would be rare I understand, receiving a scholarship would significantly impact my overall decision of where to attend. Does anyone have info on what some schools do or how to apply? Thanks!

How do scholarships mainly work for schools? I assume its different depending on the school, but for me, though it would be rare I understand, receiving a scholarship would significantly impact my overall decision of where to attend. Does anyone have info on what some schools do or how to apply? Thanks!
For K-State (and many other schools I believe), you apply at the beginning of first year, so unfortunately you wouldn't know about scholarships in time to make an attendance decision. :/ But there are third-party scholarships you can apply for, although most scholarships in general are around ~$1000. So it would help with textbooks or other living costs, but not really make a dent in your overall debt unfortunately.

We got our first e-mail about scholarships on December 9. I didn't get any information during the application cycle, but then again I didn't ask as this was the only school I was accepted to. I'm not sure if anyone in my class did get any information about scholarships before December (except for outside scholarships).

Looks like I will not be part of c/o 2021. Best of the luck to the rest of the applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any pointers for Kansas State interview questions?

Looks like I will not be part of c/o 2021. Best of the luck to the rest of the applicants!
Yep, same here. I have a feeling I will be unfollowing this thread soon after hearing back from Tufts and Penn:/ Oh well, I'll be following the 2022 thread!!

Anyone else still in limbo for a school(s)? Haven't heard any updates on my alt-for-interview status at OSU, they've already had their first round of interviews and I think the last interview days are in a couple weeks. Afraid to check portal, but the email said they would keep you up to date with any status changes/immediately contact if a spot opens. No one seems to know the process behind this "alternate for interview" thing, as it's pretty new. That's my last school to hear back from.

Anyone else still in limbo for a school(s)? Haven't heard any updates on my alt-for-interview status at OSU, they've already had their first round of interviews and I think the last interview days are in a couple weeks. Afraid to check portal, but the email said they would keep you up to date with any status changes/immediately contact if a spot opens. No one seems to know the process behind this "alternate for interview" thing, as it's pretty new. That's my last school to hear back from.

Still waiting for penn. OSU still has two more weekends for interviews. Basically you're on call if someone drops last minute. Keep your hopes up but sadly gotta look at it like it's a no until they say yes. Good luck dev!

Hi @Devastating I am with you, I only applied to one school this cycle and they do not do interviews and traditionally do not release decisions until Jan-Feb (looking like February when considering their deadlines, etc this year) so you are not alone with the feeling of "limbo". Hang in there!

Hi @Devastating I am with you, I only applied to one school this cycle and they do not do interviews and traditionally do not release decisions until Jan-Feb (looking like February when considering their deadlines, etc this year) so you are not alone with the feeling of "limbo". Hang in there!

Same! Which is why I should really stop spending so much time looking at the forum- time is going 10x slower!

Hey guys, I would imagine quite a few of you have yet to hear back. Just relax. If you're still on break, do break things. If you've started classes, focus on that. Don't just hang around here. It'll drive you nuts.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, I would imagine quite a few of you have yet to hear back. Just relax. If you're still on break, do break things. If you've started classes, focus on that. Don't just hang around here. It'll drive you nuts.
Second this. SDN gave me horrible anxiety my last semester of undergrad and I had already been accepted by then, so I imagine it's even more relentlessly unbearable when you're waiting to hear back from your top choice or only schools. If you absolutely can't get off SDN, stick to the social threads and try your best to relax.

Best of luck to you all! :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly we need more sober people in that thread. Every bar allows DDs in and gives them free soda for the night!

I don't need more sober people judging me. But if they're fun we can make exceptions

Reactions: 4 users
Second this. SDN gave me horrible anxiety my last semester of undergrad and I had already been accepted by then, so I imagine it's even more relentlessly unbearable when you're waiting to hear back from your top choice or only schools. If you absolutely can't get off SDN, stick to the social threads and try your best to relax.

Best of luck to you all! :luck:
I definitely agree with bats and VMH. At this point last year, I had no decisions and still hadn't heard so much as a peep regarding interviews from my IS school. The wait is all the more difficult when it seems like everyone else has acceptances or knows where they're going, but just remember that several schools aren't finished with the admissions process quite yet and that there are a few months left in the cycle. Go do something fun to help take your mind off of things. Take a break from SDN if you need. You'll have plenty of stress and anxiety come the start of vet school, so enjoy the time that you've got now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting for penn. OSU still has two more weekends for interviews. Basically you're on call if someone drops last minute. Keep your hopes up but sadly gotta look at it like it's a no until they say yes. Good luck dev!
In a way I sorta have, because during this winter break I've honestly forgotten about it from time to time...then I suddenly remember "hang on, it's almost time for me to go back and I'm still technically in the running for one school" :p I am holding on to hope, but if a spot doesn't open I'm at least encouraged by the fact that I made real progress this cycle compared to last year. Good luck to you BoB, and @Awapi and @finneganfox too!

I feel ya! I'm waitlisted at Oregon State and Iowa State with one more interview to go at Kansas State! I'm really hoping this interview goes well and I get in :) otherwise I'll still be in limbo with the rest of you waiting for April to roll around!

Hey kids, move it to the drunk thread. ;) This thread is for serious business related to applying to be in the c/o 2021.

You're safe I have no power to kick you out here.
@Trilt
53697461.jpg

You're hopeless, Honorsry. Try daiquiri, pina colada, margarita
Oh god how could I forget to add coconut to the list

And have tried strawberry daiquiris but the alcohol flavor is too strong and it's gross. I figured that'd be the one I'd like, since I like it sans-alcohol, but nope. Too much alcohol flavor.