Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there! I'm a nontraditional student as well ;) applying this year! It's so close already wow! As an OOS everywhere I'm wondering if I should bother applying to schools that have a really small OOS acceptance rate with a complicated academic history? Washington for instance has something crazy like 4% for OOS. I would love to go there because of IS tuition after the first year, but should I even waste money applying if there's such a small chance? I doubt I'm in the top 4% of OOS academically or experience wise, but I've got plenty of maturity and life experience. How much do schools really look at a person vs numbers? Thanks for the advice guys! Looking forward to eventually being colleagues with everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I'm a nontraditional student as well ;) applying this year! It's so close already wow! As an OOS everywhere I'm wondering if I should bother applying to schools that have a really small OOS acceptance rate with a complicated academic history? Washington for instance has something crazy like 4% for OOS. I would love to go there because of IS tuition after the first year, but should I even waste money applying if there's such a small chance? I doubt I'm in the top 4% of OOS academically or experience wise, but I've got plenty of maturity and life experience. How much do schools really look at a person vs numbers? Thanks for the advice guys! Looking forward to eventually being colleagues with everyone!
I'd be interested to know this as well. My academic record is pretty average so I have to stand out somehow. I do have a unique story and experiences though. Does your state not have a contract w another one close by? You could always move somewhere to gain IS status before starting school. I know that may not be super feasible but it's an option.

How a vet school looks at you will have differences no matter where you go. It's nice to apply to places that will let you switch to IS after year 1, but there's a few more OOS schools that do that that I don't believe look at only top 4%. If you don't believe you are a competitive OOS, then yes, it's probably a waste of app fees to apply to WSU or UGA or TAMU, which take very small amounts of OOS. You just have to do your research on it. Mizzou, NCSU, and Ohio are all schools that let OOS switch residency. It's dependent on you as an applicant. However, we can't tell you if you aren't competitive enough for a tough OOS without knowing your stats. If you post in the what are my chances thread, there's a lot of people there to help. Just tell them your GPAs, GRE, where you plan to apply, and they can help you gauge it because they've been there. Also check out threads from past cycles of the schools you're interested in and they may be able to tell you what it takes. :)

What state are you a resident of? You may have contract seats with a school somewhere. When I look at the APVMA page I'm surprised to see a lot of people who think they are OOS everywhere do not know they have contract seats with a school! These can be very competitive too, but it's nice to know they're available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested to know this as well. My academic record is pretty average so I have to stand out somehow. I do have a unique story and experiences though. Does your state not have a contract w another one close by? You could always move somewhere to gain IS status before starting school. I know that may not be super feasible but it's an option.

I honestly was quite an average applicant. The little things--glowing LORs, an excellent personal statement, a feasible explanation for any mess ups academically, unique experiences--do help you when it comes down to it. There's never a time to stop working on your app. Keep getting cool vet experiences! You can sell yourself well.

I am in the same boat as you. Maine resident.

I'm a NH resident, I checked around there is no contract for my state which is a total bummer :/ it seems almost as if where you live is a large determining factor if you can be a vet which honestly is discrimination. I understand they have to take a majority of IS students for funding purposes, but for people like me that means a lot more debt. Anyways I have definitely posted on what are my chances and gotten some awesome feedback, so thanks it's really good advice. I have checked out the past years thread but my situation is rather unique as I'm sure most nontraditional students experiences are. I have something like a 3.01 GPA in undergrad but a 4.0 in post-grad for prerequisites. Washington is the one I'm wavering the most one, but I'm also applying to schools who mainly factor science and last 45 GPA like Kansas, UC Davis (another low OOS acceptance rate), Ohio, Iowa, Tufts, CSU, and Florida. Some are location based as well.

I will always strive to improve! Thanks for the tidbits @rockatiel I appreciate your advice.
@lhmhtd I would move if I could, but my husband and I have jobs here, and I'm already asking him to move potentially cross country for vet school so asking to move for residency is really not an option. I'm quite envious of people who can just pick up and move like that and save so much money!

Any advice for applying to those schools would be appreciated, even if all you can say is how much one school values particular criteria. Thanks again!

I'm a NH resident, I checked around there is no contract for my state which is a total bummer :/ it seems almost as if where you live is a large determining factor if you can be a vet which honestly is discrimination. I understand they have to take a majority of IS students for funding purposes, but for people like me that means a lot more debt. Anyways I have definitely posted on what are my chances and gotten some awesome feedback, so thanks it's really good advice. I have checked out the past years thread but my situation is rather unique as I'm sure most nontraditional students experiences are. I have something like a 3.01 GPA in undergrad but a 4.0 in post-grad for prerequisites. Washington is the one I'm wavering the most one, but I'm also applying to schools who mainly factor science and last 45 GPA like Kansas, UC Davis (another low OOS acceptance rate), Ohio, Iowa, Tufts, CSU, and Florida. Some are location based as well.

I will always strive to improve! Thanks for the tidbits @rockatiel I appreciate your advice.
@lhmhtd I would move if I could, but my husband and I have jobs here, and I'm already asking him to move potentially cross country for vet school so asking to move for residency is really not an option. I'm quite envious of people who can just pick up and move like that and save so much money!

Any advice for applying to those schools would be appreciated, even if all you can say is how much one school values particular criteria. Thanks again!

It seems discriminatory, but because vet med is quite a saturated market, it's just not feasible to have vet schools in every state. :( I always feel bad for those who are OOS everywhere. But your choices sounds great and a 4.0 post grad is great!

Reactions: 1 users

Some of the contract seats don't make a bit of sense to me. Did you know that CT residents can get IS tuition at Iowa..... how and why is beyond me. Not even in the same region. I wish Tufts used the NEBHE program for us New englanders. It does for dental, pharmacy, and medical school, but not veterinary. Figures!

"Discriminatory" is a very strong word for the situation, and it's definitely not in line with things that are actually discriminatory. It is no different than undergrad schools having different IS and OOS tuition, except in magnitude. Sure it sucks that not everyone has an IS school, but your location is not something that you cannot ever change. And it just isn't feasible for there to be a vet school in every state.

I know you say moving is not an option but for many schools being IS increases your chances of being accepted as well. I would just urge you to consider whether it might really be an option for you. When you consider the difference in debt for some of the schools you are applying to, it might be worth it.

Reactions: 7 users
"Discriminatory" is a very strong word for the situation, and it's definitely not in line with things that are actually discriminatory. It is no different than undergrad schools having different IS and OOS tuition, except in magnitude. Sure it sucks that not everyone has an IS school, but your location is not something that you cannot ever change. And it just isn't feasible for there to be a vet school in every state.

I know you say moving is not an option but for many schools being IS increases your chances of being accepted as well. I would just urge you to consider whether it might really be an option for you. When you consider the difference in debt for some of the schools you are applying to, it might be worth it.

I know it's not traditional discriminatory, but it sure feels that way sometimes. If I could move to a state that both my husband and I had similar well paying jobs to the ones we have now I would definitely consider it, but it's not realistically feasible. First we would have to find new jobs, second we would have to find a place to live, third we'd have to scrounge up the money to move and finally, the stress of the move would do a lot of harm on my elderly dog, currently going through chemo. I would love to save on tuition, but not enough to do that. If things don't work out this year, I can always move next cycle to be IS!

OR you could also be a CA resident which ALSO sucks. Cuz our IS is Davis which is THE hardest school to get into, or you could have Western which is private and so expensive. So it sucks for us too even having an IS since our IS is a far reach for most.

Also consider Michigan b/c I believe they don't look at cum gpa.

OR you could also be a CA resident which ALSO sucks. Cuz our IS is Davis which is THE hardest school to get into, or you could have Western which is private and so expensive. So it sucks for us too even having an IS since our IS is a far reach for most.
I'm a CA resident, applied to Davis just because it is my IS. Waste of application money really. Once I found out they only look at your GPA, GRE, and PPI scores before even considering for an interview. They don't look at much else. So for those of you that shine in the academic area by all means apply to Davis! As for me I'm not a shining star academically, so if I don't get off the waitlist at VMRCVM this year I won't bother with either of my IS schools. That and I really want to get out of CA!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CA resident, applied to Davis just because it is my IS. Waste of application money really. Once I found out they only look at your GPA, GRE, and PPI scores before even considering for an interview. They don't look at much else. So for those of you that shine in the academic area by all means apply to Davis! As for me I'm not a shining star academically, so if I don't get off the waitlist at VMRCVM this year I won't bother with either of my IS schools. That and I really want to get out of CA!

Yeah it's unfair to those without a 3.9999 gpa and 170 gre for CA residents. Davis also actually doesn't even look past 180 vet hours of experience..........

LSU does this as well, only for OOS applicants (first round makes cuts based on academic rankings only, evaluation/subjective stuff in later rounds). Which sucked for me since I applied because I went to undergrad there, but still live in Texas :p

There are 2 ways to look at situations like that:
1) It's not fair and complain about that
2) Figure out where you're competitive and either move there to establish residency or apply OOS.

Here's a secret: life isn't usually fair.

Reactions: 13 users
2) Figure out where you're competitive and either move there to establish residency or apply OOS.

Pretty much. Different schools look at different things and many of you may actually be quite competitive OOS, depending on the school's admission factors. I know someone who specifically moved to NC a couple of years prior to applying for vet school just to get into NC State. Luckily, some schools offer IS tuition after a year of vet school. I know OSU does.

LSU does this as well, only for OOS applicants (first round makes cuts based on academic rankings only, evaluation/subjective stuff in later rounds). Which sucked for me since I applied because I went to undergrad there, but still live in Texas :p

to clarify LSU does not use PPI. And also, us IS students are chosen for interviews by a determined rank that I do believe is pretty heavily academic, though we all do get file reviews. Also, interview is only 10 percent of the applicant score. Not to say that they only care about academics. My GPAs were competitive, but I think I either bombed my interview, or didn't have enough vet experience as I was waitlisted post interview.

For any school you apply to, please remember that GPA is significant but it doesn't mean everything. I was accepted to a school that calculated my GPAs lower, but must have liked me at the interview. The person you are does matter, not just academic performance.

Reactions: 2 users
to clarify LSU does not use PPI. And also, us IS students are chosen for interviews by a determined rank that I do believe is pretty heavily academic, though we all do get file reviews. Also, interview is only 10 percent of the applicant score. Not to say that they only care about academics. My GPAs were competitive, but I think I either bombed my interview, or didn't have enough vet experience as I was waitlisted post interview.
Oh yeah, forgot to make a note of the "minus PPI"! They go off GPAs/GRE rankings and only that for the first round OOS, so you didn't get the option of a file review if this is where you got cut. I know CSU also required PPI (which was honestly annoying since I had to request this from my evaluators in addition to the VMCAS eLORS and it got confusing...had no idea there were also other PPI schools) but the PPI is being discontinued this year, so I wonder what these schools will replace it with?

Basically, play to your strengths! If GPA is your weak point don't bother applying to schools like UCDavis/LSU where there's an initial cut. I now know it's unwise in my case to continue applying to LSU, but I can still apply to other schools which don't do a first "weed out" on solely academic rankings. I'm also in a weird spot of not being able to apply to my own IS (several advanced prereqs I don't have).

I am throwing my hat in the ring again this year. Financial aid might actually be enough to continue with the undergrad classes this year. Still trying to fight with the bureaucracy at the university level. I am only applying in-state again.

I am throwing my hat in the ring again this year. Financial aid might actually be enough to continue with the undergrad classes this year. Still trying to fight with the bureaucracy at the university level. I am only applying in-state again.

What's your IS?

Iowa State, but through the cooperative program with the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. Acceptance rate hovers around 40%, so it is my best shot of getting a spot.

I'm not complaining because I think it's unfair. Nor do I mean to complain at all. It was my first time applying this year and didn't spend as much time looking into Davis as I should have. Had I known how they select applicants I would have chosen differently. If I have to do it again I will definitely choose more strategically which schools I have the best chances at, which like you said, is the best way to go.

UC Davis is definitely a tough spot to shoot for, but I'm hoping since those are my only academic areas that I shine in, I will be competitive enough to gain an interview. After that it's the only thing UC Davis looks at. And I am definitely looking at schools who factor in last 45 and science more than cum GPA. I know we can all do this, we just have to present ourselves in the best light possible!

UC Davis is definitely a tough spot to shoot for, but I'm hoping since those are my only academic areas that I shine in, I will be competitive enough to gain an interview. After that it's the only thing UC Davis looks at. And I am definitely looking at schools who factor in last 45 and science more than cum GPA. I know we can all do this, we just have to present ourselves in the best light possible!

LSU does not look at cGPA. I don't think Mississippi does, either.

LSU does not look at cGPA. I don't think Mississippi does, either.
Neither does KSU or Minnesota. ISU calculates it and requires a 2.5 minimum to apply, but only uses science and last 45 hours in their actual evaluation process (though they are notorious for deflating the science GPA because only a small selection of courses are used for that, and most of them are chemistry... if your chemistry grades aren't the best, you may want to avoid).

I've already started my personal statement. I'm super excited. So far all I have is stuff from the necropsy lab.

I've already started my personal statement. I'm super excited. So far all I have is stuff from the necropsy lab.
Good luck! Get all that excitement into your essay while it's still fresh in your mind.
Getting the excitement down is the easy part. I had the most trouble cutting down my essay into the character limit because I had too many things I wanted to share. Had to cut out half of my statement...

I finally feel like I finished mine. I really like writing but can only write when I'm motivated so I started this winter. Such a good feeling when you're finally satisfied with it!

Good luck! Get all that excitement into your essay while it's still fresh in your mind.
Getting the excitement down is the easy part. I had the most trouble cutting down my essay into the character limit because I had too many things I wanted to share. Had to cut out half of my statement...
Yes! So I originally applied to vet school in 2014 and ended up withdrawing my application in December. I didn't apply again last year because the thought of it was so overwhelming (I also have to retake physics). Now that I'm excited again and refreshed, I'm taking the feeling and running w it! I think my personal statement from that cycle was like the 17th version I ended up submitting. It's harder than you think!!

If you have any questions or would like someone to look it over when your done, feel free to PM me. I loved editing papers when I was teaching.

If you have any questions or would like someone to look it over when your done, feel free to PM me. I loved editing papers when I was teaching.
Thanks!!

I should probably have my PS reviewed by a few people here...because I wrote it at the literal last second and would very much like to change some things :p (I hate writing essays so I entered EVERYTHING else into VMCAS way before the PS/deadline...)

I'm also willing to scan over and edit personal statements. :) I think there used to be a Personal Statement Readers thread every year that listed those who were willing to edit; perhaps we should start a new one?

Reactions: 3 users
I'll throw my hat in the ring as a PS reader. Thesis has my proofreading skills in tip top shape!!

I opened up my personal statement I started writing like 3 months ago ... wanted to gag after reading it again. So cheesy.

Readers thread is now up! :)

I should probably have my PS reviewed by a few people here...because I wrote it at the literal last second and would very much like to change some things :p (I hate writing essays so I entered EVERYTHING else into VMCAS way before the PS/deadline...)

That was me too, PS was literally the last thing I put in. If I don't make it this year, I'm probably scrapping the whole thing can't believe I submitted that :confused:

I would totally be willing to read, but I also feel like I don't want to call myself an expert or anything. Can I make a disclaimer "all I did was get into vet school I'm not a professional" or something

FYI for those applying this upcoming cycle: the personal statement last year had a character limit of 4500, including spaces. I've been reading personal statements that think the character limit is 5000. This might have been mentioned already, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded!

FYI for those applying this upcoming cycle: the personal statement last year had a character limit of 4500, including spaces. I've been reading personal statements that think the character limit is 5000. This might have been mentioned already, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded!
:eek: no!

Thanks!

I'd like to send last year's statement out to a couple of people and get some initial feedback before I go cutting it up. I was waiting for a readers thread to go up though. ;)

Same. Looking back there are things I definitely should not have put in there.. so I am looking to completely scrap the whole thing and start over. It will be more work but I think it will be beneficial.

Funnily enough, the personal statement was the very first thing I worked on and finished on my application - I put off all of the other stuff until at least mid-August, but I started my PS in late May and had it completely edited and ready to submit by mid-July (the first draft was done by mid-June, I just sent it out for a LOT of revisions). I like writing essays and felt that the PS was pretty important, which is why I put so much focus into it I guess. I should have started the other parts of my application sooner, but I started working on my essay for the MPH combined program for CSU (which actually had a character count higher than the PS!) and that ate up another ~month.

For those of you working on your personal statements now: I'm a big believer in spending the time looking for inspiration for that essay. I don't recommend putting it off because the PS is one of the few chances you get to really demonstrate yourself as a person to a school. Think about why you specifically should be someone who goes on to become a veterinarian. I always thought about it this way: if I was compared against ten other candidates with the exact same scores as me and the school only had space for one of us, what would make me a better pick than those other people?

I don't recommend putting it off because the PS is one of the few chances you get to really demonstrate yourself as a person to a school.
Hit the nail on the head.

So excited!!!! Applying to UPenn this cycle....debating about applying to more, but honestly Penn is my #1 choice.

So excited!!!! Applying to UPenn this cycle....debating about applying to more, but honestly Penn is my #1 choice.
It is always a good idea to apply to more than 1 school as a backup in case you don't get into your #1 school. That way, if something happens, you did not waste a whole application cycle.