"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
igc7bxwtmnb31.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Though they are off topic for this thread, I have pressing questions.

@Goro is Goro the name of your cat?

@gyngyn is it pronounced “gin” as in the drink or “gyn” as in gynecology?

I have always assumed Goro was some anime character and Gyngyn was that they are a female gynocologist.

I believe that my learned colleague once wrote that most people pronounce the gyn as in gynecology, but Texans say it as gin/gin

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I believe that my learned colleague once wrote that most people pronounce the gyn as in gynecology, but Texans say it as gin/gin

So OBGYN would be pronounced OB-GIN in Texas?

Well back to the topic at hand. I was chatting with a friend the other day and he was shocked that I scored higher than the smartest person he knew on the MCAT. His friend got like a 507... He said I was going to get accepted everywhere, and I kinda doubt that haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only been in Michigan and Massachusetts (albeit many years), but have always heard/said the combo as OB-GIN; actually mostly just OB or G-Y-N (pronouncing letters). To my ears GYN ("gine") sounds inelegant, like "moist". ( The Science Behind Why People Hate the Word <em>Moist</em>).

An interesting/endearing phenomenon for med students is the mispronunciation of words they have only read a million times but haven't heard spoken. It's gonna happen to you too... Makes incredibly accomplished people blush like middle schoolers.

Off topic and kind of a reach for being a premed but here goes

My daughter saw me trying on my suit for my first interview on Monday and she asked “Are you a doctor? Is that a doctor suit?”

She then ran in to her room and grabbed her toy stethoscope and shouted “I wanna be a doctor, look at my TELESCOPE!”

So my daughter is now premed.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

My daughter saw me trying on my suit for my first interview on Monday and she asked “Are you a doctor? Is that a doctor suit?”

She then ran in to her room and grabbed her toy stethoscope and shouted “I wanna be a doctor, look at my TELESCOPE!”

What are her other ECs? Adcoms don’t want to see people that look like they have no life outside of medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users

That’s totally on topic. It’s a quote AND she’s an uninformed premed. She doesn’t even know the difference between a telescope and a stethoscope!

Reactions: 8 users

On a related note, my daughter told her preschool teacher that I'm a doctor. She went to a preschool for low-income families so her teacher was like WTF? why are you taking spots from real low-income people? :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Better stock up on the baby sunscreen.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
What are her other ECs? Adcoms don’t want to see people that look like they have no life outside of medicine.
She is the top of her gymnastics class, she is the best swimmer in her swim classes, she is an excellent artist (colors within the lines at 3), she is the best in her class at both math and reading (she can add numbers less than five together, can count to 37 [don’t know why she stops there...?], and can read like 15 words), and she shows commitment to service for others with lots of cuddles. Pretty well rounded applicant if you ask me.

Reactions: 10 users
She is the top of her gymnastics class, she is the best swimmer in her swim classes, she is an excellent artist (colors within the lines at 3), she is the best in her class at both math and reading (she can add numbers less than five together, can count to 37 [don’t know why she stops there...?], and can read like 15 words), and she shows commitment to service for others with lots of cuddles. Pretty well rounded applicant if you ask me.
That's great and all but can she score a 537 on her MCAT?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
That’s totally on topic. It’s a quote AND she’s an uninformed premed. She doesn’t even know the difference between a telescope and a stethoscope!
so that's why i haven't been able to hear anything

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Wow already a gunner... good work @MemeLord ;)

• Love
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I swear I am NOT a gunner.

I ask lots of questions because I am curious and want to know, not show off.

I don’t spend an absurd amount of time studying, I just do well because I do.

I am presenting at the Orthopedic Research Society 2020 annual conference not because I want to be an Orthopod but because I just like bones.

I didn’t apply to top schools for prestige, I did it for financial aid.

I swear, I look like a gunner...but I am not. I am just good at what I do.

/rant

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I am presenting at the Orthopedic Research Society 2020 annual conference not because I want to be an Orthopod but because I just like bones.

/rant
Just teasing. I am similar to you. Lol

Reactions: 1 users

Fi...nan...cial aid? What is this "financial aid" you speak of?

Note, I do not have a 99th percentile MCAT.

• Love

/rant

lol. You're a gunner.

Reactions: 8 users
I am not a gunner! I don’t explicitly want to do well or even expect to do well...I just do. Gah.

Right place, right time, right uniform, right attitude = success

A gunner is not just someone who does well, but they do it at the expense of others. I don’t think that sounds like you (I’ve read enough posts that I kinda feel like I know you)

I am not a gunner! I don’t explicitly want to do well or even expect to do well...I just do. Gah.

Right place, right time, right uniform, right attitude = success

lol yeah I don't think you're a gunner on purpose, but you seem like the kind of person who likes to talk about how awesome they are without realizing it. Some people are just like that. I don't think anyone here thinks you're an actual gunner.

lol yeah I don't think you're a gunner on purpose, but you seem like the kind of person who likes to talk about how awesome they are without realizing it. Some people are just like that. I don't think anyone here thinks you're an actual gunner.
I don’t talk about how awesome I am, just talk about the stuff I do. The stuff I do is awesome, but to me it is just life. And it is always talking about myself/my perspectives. I never aim to put anyone down.

In fact, the vast majority of what I do/how I learn is through helping others. That was half my MCAT studying, 90% of what I know about the application cycle, all of my volunteering, all of my NCO stuff...just helping others because they need my energy and enthusiasm more than I do.

I also don't think "gunner" is necessarily a bad thing.

I'm very type B. But I respect people who are type A.

I also don't think "gunner" is necessarily a bad thing.

I'm very type B. But I respect people who are type A.

No, it is. Some people conflate gunner with type a, but they aren't the same. A gunner is someone who strives to get ahead at the expense of others and will actively throw people under the bus to do so.

A gunner is someone who strives to get ahead at the expense of others and will actively throw people under the bus to do so.
F that noise. I am here (in life, not specifically SDN) to help others. I don’t need to put others down to make myself look good.

I meant like...I don’t do things specifically because they look good or as an app booster or anything...I just...like...do the thing because I wanna do the thing...like...I’m not a gunner! *stomps toddler foot*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha