Funny Names (Seriously!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Names of physicians that either teach at my school, or are in the local area:

Surgeon: Dr Fleishacker
OB/Gyn: Dr Woodfill
FM: Dr Payne
Allergy/Immunology: Dr Kwak
IM: Dr Parish (not too funny, but I keep thinking of people expiring on her service)
Psych: Dr Nutt

Sometimes, I really want to ask if they thought about their last name before choosing their specialty.

I actually know a family of Gays (last name)
Knew a guy in undergrad by the name Sihk Phuk (probably spelled it wrong, but close)

Members don't see this ad.

When a buddy of mine was on OB he was getting pimped in a patient's room about about "meconium" was. Before he could answer the patient spoke up and said "meconium, that would make a nice baby's name". =)

When a buddy of mine was on OB he was getting pimped in a patient's room about about "meconium" was. Before he could answer the patient spoke up and said "meconium, that would make a nice baby's name". =)
That's when you turn to the mom and go "Meconium is the first **** a baby ever takes. You still think it's a good choice?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I once met a man named Paul Badmarriage. I can just picture his wedding: I now pronounce you...Mr. and Mrs. Badmarriage.

I saw an anniversary announcement for a Mr. and Mrs. Duh :laugh:

There was a lady my dad used to work with who was a feminist and insisted on hyphenating her name. That made her last name "Bonin-Terry" :laugh:

There was a lady my dad used to work with who was a feminist and insisted on hyphenating her name. That made her last name "Bonin-Terry" :laugh:
--

My husband carpools with Dick Steele.;)

While I was down in the cafeteria today, one of the servers' nametag said "Lesbia"

Hmm, have a bunch of good ones on the census right now, but I don't want HIPPA to come after me :D

While I was down in the cafeteria today, one of the servers' nametag said "Lesbia"

I showed this to a friend of mine who passed it along to her mom (a teacher).....apparently a couple of years back she had a little Greek girl in her class named Fallopia. :laugh: I told her to ask her mom if she had a brother named Testicles ("test-uh-cleez") :smuggrin:

Had a kid just last week named C'lantro (see-lantro). His mom made a point to say "Seee-lantro"...lest he be mistaken for a herb.:laugh:

I knew a lady named Gay. She was in her 60s, so the word probably just meant happy back when she was named. She was a really sweet, cheerful lady, so I guess she really was gay in the traditional sense.

Makes you wonder though…you could give your child a perfectly nice name and years later the word takes on a completely different meaning. (Not that there’s anything wrong with being gay, but you have to admit that any kid named Gay is going to get a lot of teasing on the playground nowadays).

I went to VMI for undergrad, and one of the big names for VMI basketball in the '80s was Gay Elmore (a very popular, smart, handsome man - had women ALL over him).

I went to VMI for undergrad, and one of the big names for VMI basketball in the '80s was Gay Elmore (a very popular, smart, handsome man - had women ALL over him).
Heh heh heh. Did you have Col Klink for stats?

Me: Col Klink, what is that notation on the blackboard? (he had extremely poor handwriting-it looked like " ~ " but was supposedly " sin ")

Col Klink: "SHUT UP, NO TALKING, READ THE BOOK!" (his standard response to anyone with a question)

For a while, my Nat'l Guard unit had Major Payne, but he got promoted (and is now General Payne)

Heh heh heh. Did you have Col Klink for stats?

Me: Col Klink, what is that notation on the blackboard? (he had extremely poor handwriting-it looked like " ~ " but was supposedly " sin ")

Col Klink: "SHUT UP, NO TALKING, READ THE BOOK!" (his standard response to anyone with a question)

For a while, my Nat'l Guard unit had Major Payne, but he got promoted (and is now General Payne)

I had Major Walsh for biostats and number theory. Between her and COL Swope, I had all the redneck PhD's I needed (whip-smart, but, man, it just didn't sound smart).

Urology: Dr. Folie
My old neighbor: Dick Sawdoff (not kidding - I think the spelling was a bit different)
My hs French teacher: Madame (pronounced with French accent as My Damn) Hoe

Best Urologist name ever:

Dr. Richard (Dick) Chopp in Austin, TX

*from the urology group's website:

"Areas of Special Interest: Dr. Richard (Dick) Chopp is well known in the Austin community for performing Vasectomies. He also enjoys treating patients with metabolic evolution of kidney stone disease, male endocrine urology disorders, prostate disease and Peyronie's disease. He has extensive laparoscopy surgery experience, is on the transplant team and performs Living Donor Nephrectomy."

I've met a Dr. William Shakespeare and a Dr. Fidel Castro

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but a set of twins (boy and girl) named: Ya'Heiness and Ya'Majesty.

When I asked the dad what made him choose those names, he said he wanted his kids to have respect when they grow up. Hmmm, something is flawed in that plan!

I had a kid last night named Neveah Angel.

The S*h*i*t*head is a real name. My wife is a peds resident and brought the sticker home for me to laugh at.

I also had a little burmese girl named Moo Moo the other day.

Unless this was one of my hallucinations,

From Trauma: Life in the ER, on Discovery Health Channel

The attending Trauma surgeon, Dr Skinner, had a patient on the table with extensive kidney damage. He called a stat intra-operative consult with urology. Who shows up? Dr Weiner.

Oh, i forgot this one:

there's a podiatrist in cleveland named dr. tozzi (pronounced toes-ee)

One of the attendings at my residency was Jack Gough, MD (pronounced Goff).

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but a set of twins (boy and girl) named: Ya'Heiness and Ya'Majesty.

When I asked the dad what made him choose those names, he said he wanted his kids to have respect when they grow up. Hmmm, something is flawed in that plan!

I wonder if that's what Sirjonathan's parents had in mind? Probably not the case for Littlejoe. Both were on our board at the same time the other day...

Before retirement my Aunt was a psych her name........Dr. Looney
I will be Dr. Moll (pronounced Maul)

9 month old female in ED for fever named:

Snow White Winter

My Mom went to school with a girl named Robin Graves and I went to school with a girl named Stormy Sunshine Weatherly

Dr. Harry Dick.

He was my orthodontist. Too bad he didn't become a . . . well, I won't say.

One of my first patients was Magic Creamer, there was absolutely nothing magical about her.

Oh, i forgot this one:

there's a podiatrist in cleveland named dr. tozzi (pronounced toes-ee)

It might be mispronounced that way. It should be pronounced toh-tsi, unless this very Italian name is actually from a different language spelled the same. I'm guessing the doctor is not very in touch with his culture if he lets people call him Dr. Toesie. :laugh:

Here is one I saw working one day. chastiy and I bet you can guess the last name(hippa prevents me to post it).
the Irony of it was she was pregnant I just had to shake my head.:laugh:

how about a teenage girl (seriously) named Tequila??

I have another one but this time it is my cousin's son.
thay named him Drake Icon, but it sounds like icing olny with on not ing on the end.

Before retirement my Aunt was a psych her name........Dr. Looney
I will be Dr. Moll (pronounced Maul)
lol! You have to go the surgery route lol.

Met someone who had a high school classmate named Sarah White...they thought. But at graduation everyone's given names were read...and hers was "Lovely Snow White"

A friend who went to business school heard about a guy who had gone through several years ahead of him (yes, it's a "my brother's friend's ex girfriend's sister said" type deal so it just might be the first thing ever to appear on the internet that's not 100% factual but anyway...) named Bai Lo.

So that's a B school student with a name pronounced "Buy Low."

"Shadynasty" note this also spells "shady nasty"

Siblings, all approximately a year apart:

EZ life
money
millions

(not seen as a 3fer, but all accompanied mother and the patient, who was actually 4th lil 'un with a somewhat normal name that i dont remember).

one of my 1st pts yrs ago....IMA GOMER....80+ yrs old...weak and dizzy.....not kidding.....

There was a patient during my EM month named Simmerdown... thought that was quite orignal!

My dad grew up seeing a dentist named Dr. Butcher (who didn't use any type of anesthetic for dental procedures)

I know there is more, but I can't think of them right now....

I almost pissed my pants when i saw this one: ophelia Self

Grammar school teacher: Anita Dick (yes, seriously, and it was rumoured her husband was Harry)

Gastro Docs:

Dr sh1take (hah, had to change it up so the filter wouldnt block it)
Dr Asenoi (I could NEVER keep a straight face or hold back a snicker when I said his name. He never seemed to like me very much.)
Dr Gutstein

Dr. Allan Greenspan, dermatologist on lower Broadway, Manhattan - Wall Street area.

Personal aquaintances the Walkers:
son: Luke Sky Walker
Daughter: Ana KimSkye Walker (I swear I am not making this up)

child in L&D at the hospital I worked at as a premed:
Areola.

WHY? Sometimes I think the US should be more like France where parents are only able to pick names from a long list of reasonable names, rather than name them after body parts, TV networks, or expletives

First name was Rolls Royce. Really not kidding. It was even on his license.

Saw a 41 year old guy with the first name of Baby Boy...

Was he 1st generation Hispanic? I've seen a few Hispanic kids named Baby Boy or Baby Girl. I guess that the parents assume that the hospital is naming their kid....

Pulled from my memory on peds:

T9C (with a sticky attached to the note that said it was not a typo)
Abcde (ab-se-dee)
****head (sheet-heed) its French!
Lemonjello and orangejello (pronounced lemon-ge-lo and or-ange-ello)
melena (pronounced Mi-lee-na)
Espn (pronounced es-pen)
female (fe-ma-le) (story was wfamily went to name the baby and had seen the name on the tag and thought the doctor had named the baby).

Had a patient a few years back when I was in my tech internship named (I $hi! you not)

I'M A Bimbo Too. He apparently had a daughter named "My Dads A Bimbo".

Ahh racehorses, you can get away with murder naming them.

on peds, I had:

Daikon - like the radish
Taiwan - like the country

My mom, in her first year of teaching, had a first grader whose mother had named him Tonto Kemosabe. Yes. Really.

I knew a girl in high school named Candy Shell, and another girl named Precious Orr.

And I swear to God, if I see one more twit on a message board proudly proclaiming she's naming her soon-to-be-born baby girl Nevaeh because it's "Heaven spelled backwards", like she's the most clever thing in the world? I'm going to reach through my laptop and smack her intelligent.

Seriously, there is a urologist at our affiliate hospital named Dr. Dick Tapper