Full Tuition Scholarship vs. Vocational Rehab vs. Post 9/11 GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nova25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be attending a private medical school this August with a full tuition scholarship (63K) for all four years. I am also eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and because of my service connected disability I have applied for the Vocational rehab program through the VA which, if approved, would pay 100% books, tuition, fees as well as a housing allowance for all 4 years of medical school.

So my question is, if accepted into the VA Vocational Rehab program I believe I won't need/be able to use my scholarship funds. Do you think it's possible to get my school to reallocate my scholarship funds to cover general expenses like housing/food/misc expenses instead of just tuition?

Not sure what to do if I'm approved. I don't want the scholarship money to go to waste if I can't use it. Ideally, the school could give me a smaller general scholarship and use the remaining 40k+ to help another student. Not sure if something like this is possible though.

Any thoughts or insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask what the scholarship is for since there are several types, and inquire about someone else getting it. If using Post 9/11 or Voc Rehab, you get a stipend to cover general expenses - no need for a scholarship, though it is based on merit or something, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about having something small to supplement since you've earned it in the first place.

You could also use the scholarship and save the GI Bill/Voc Rehab for retraining, another degree, a stipend in residency, help opening a practice, etc.