Vanderbilt (75% scholarship) vs Columbia (no $) vs WashU (full tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• Columbia

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • WashU

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters

cold_friesMD

Reaction score
Hello! I am having a hard time deciding between these schools and would love some advice.

Columbia (no $)
Pros:
- I have lived in NYC the past few years and enjoy living there/have friends in the area
- Columbia seems to have a strong public health emphasis, esp w/ VP&S's close relationship to Mailman
- More of a focus on serving underserved communities
- I have a background in community organizing and it's easier to imagine staying engaged in local organizing efforts in NYC
- Slightly better in terms of research opportunities (I don't have the strongest research background but would like to gain exposure in med school and see if it's something I'm interested in)

Cons:
- Major cost difference (~200k). I am extremely lucky in that I would not have to take on debt, but it still seems like a really high price to pay
- Cost of living difference

Vanderbilt (75% tuition scholarship):
Pros:
- I really like the 1 yr pre-clinical curriculum. As someone who's completely undecided on my specialty/path, being able to do clerkships earlier and having more flexibility 3rd and 4th year is rly appealing to me
- I have family in Tennessee. It's not my immediate family, but I would still appreciate being close to cousins/etc.
- Though I've never lived in Nashville, I've visited a bunch and really like it there. I love climbing/backpacking and the outdoors scene is much better in TN than NYC
- I've lived in the west coast, east coast and midwest, but never in the south! I am excited about the potential of getting to know a new place
- Much cheaper cost of living than NYC

Cons:
- Less of an emphasis on health equity it seems
- It seemed like the student body was younger at SLW. As a non-trad student , I had a bit of trouble feeling like I would fit in with the students at Vanderbilt.
- Maybe slightly less prestigious? It's hard for me to tell how much this is true and/or matters

WashU (full tuition scholarship):
Pros:
- I had a really good time getting to know the students and faculty and felt that the culture was a good fit for me
- Least expensive option
- Barnes seems like a great teaching hospital
- Really amazing opportunities to gain research exposure (maybe same as the other schools, but was emphasized a bit more during my visit)

Cons:
- I had a really hard time imaging myself living in St Louis when I visited. This seemed like enough of a con that I am considering WashU less but am definitely still open to it.
- No support system nearby

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
All the schools have research opportunities so find out the support for student research. Stop thinking about prestige.

How would you like to be a community organizer in a red state like Missouri or Tennessee?

None of these schools are going to open more doors in research/residency/etc. than any other, so that's not a concern here.

I would cross Columbia off the list. No way it's worth that much more, even without debt. It seems like Vanderbilt is the best fit for you, though definitely think about the cost difference between it and WashU.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU. You'll learn to love St. Louis and the cost difference here is key.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am having a hard time deciding between these schools and would love some advice.

Columbia (no $)
Pros:
- I have lived in NYC the past few years and enjoy living there/have friends in the area
- Columbia seems to have a strong public health emphasis, esp w/ VP&S's close relationship to Mailman
- More of a focus on serving underserved communities
- I have a background in community organizing and it's easier to imagine staying engaged in local organizing efforts in NYC
- Slightly better in terms of research opportunities (I don't have the strongest research background but would like to gain exposure in med school and see if it's something I'm interested in)

Cons:
- Major cost difference (~200k). I am extremely lucky in that I would not have to take on debt, but it still seems like a really high price to pay
- Cost of living difference

Vanderbilt (75% tuition scholarship):
Pros:
- I really like the 1 yr pre-clinical curriculum. As someone who's completely undecided on my specialty/path, being able to do clerkships earlier and having more flexibility 3rd and 4th year is rly appealing to me
- I have family in Tennessee. It's not my immediate family, but I would still appreciate being close to cousins/etc.
- Though I've never lived in Nashville, I've visited a bunch and really like it there. I love climbing/backpacking and the outdoors scene is much better in TN than NYC
- I've lived in the west coast, east coast and midwest, but never in the south! I am excited about the potential of getting to know a new place
- Much cheaper cost of living than NYC

Cons:
- Less of an emphasis on health equity it seems
- It seemed like the student body was younger at SLW. As a non-trad student , I had a bit of trouble feeling like I would fit in with the students at Vanderbilt.
- Maybe slightly less prestigious? It's hard for me to tell how much this is true and/or matters

WashU (full tuition scholarship):
Pros:
- I had a really good time getting to know the students and faculty and felt that the culture was a good fit for me
- Least expensive option
- Barnes seems like a great teaching hospital
- Really amazing opportunities to gain research exposure (maybe same as the other schools, but was emphasized a bit more during my visit)

Cons:
- I had a really hard time imaging myself living in St Louis when I visited. This seemed like enough of a con that I am considering WashU less but am definitely still open to it.
- No support system nearby

Full disclosure: WL'd at WashU but am trying to be objective. Honestly sounds like Columbia is the winner here. If you don't personally have to take out debt, it's nice that it's more aligned with your passions around health equity and you'd be staying someplace where you're already connected and could envision yourself getting involved (or remaining involved) in causes that you care about. Vanderbilt is probably the second choice here. I think support system matters quite strongly.

• Dislike
Full disclosure: WL'd at WashU but am trying to be objective. Honestly sounds like Columbia is the winner here. If you don't personally have to take out debt, it's nice that it's more aligned with your passions around health equity and you'd be staying someplace where you're already connected and could envision yourself getting involved (or remaining involved) in causes that you care about. Vanderbilt is probably the second choice here. I think support system matters quite strongly.
even if you dont have to take on debt, it's 200k coming out of your pocket.

Reactions: 3 users
even if you dont have to take on debt, it's 200k coming out of your pocket.
I was answering for the OP. I know it's common on here to advise going wherever's the cheapest, but the vibe I got from their post is that cost is only a mild concern. It's not unusual for people in certain situations to pick more expensive schools over cheaper schools; that's not what I'd do because I don't come from the kind of background where cost isn't a huge concern but if I did I'd say OP should go where they're happiest.

If OP shies away from Columbia's price, Vandy is the clear next choice. WashU is far from a support system and they don't envision themselves being happy in the city, which is fair given they're coming from NYC. At Vandy there's still a support system, OP likes the curriculum better, they vibed with the curriculum and area more, and it's a middle ground in terms of price. Vandy does have a health equity focus (though maybe not as much as Columbia). Vandy is also about 30% non-trad according to MSAR which is a healthy percentage. They'll make friends in Nashville.

I was answering for the OP. I know it's common on here to advise going wherever's the cheapest, but the vibe I got from their post is that cost is only a mild concern. It's not unusual for people in certain situations to pick more expensive schools over cheaper schools; that's not what I'd do because I don't come from the kind of background where cost isn't a huge concern but if I did I'd say OP should go where they're happiest.

If OP shies away from Columbia's price, Vandy is the clear next choice. WashU is far from a support system and they don't envision themselves being happy in the city, which is fair given they're coming from NYC. At Vandy there's still a support system, OP likes the curriculum better, they vibed with the curriculum and area more, and it's a middle ground in terms of price. Vandy does have a health equity focus (though maybe not as much as Columbia). Vandy is also about 30% non-trad according to MSAR which is a healthy percentage. They'll make friends in Nashville.

Well said. I agree with the points you made.

Tbh I come from a background where money doesn’t matter as much, likely won’t take loans, but if I had the opportunity to have school paid for, I’d take it to minimize financial burden on my parents.

Reactions: 2 users
As the votes seem to agree... WashU all the way. One of the premier medical institutions in the world with all of tuition covered for is one that's hard to pass up on. St. Louis is a great city and I'm sure you will adjust and find your community!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure about the culture at WashU- I know for a fact that the culture at Vandy is amazing. You'd be happy there, and happiness matters a lot. They're super chill.

But if WashU is also super chill, yeahb take the money and run