Full ride 8-year bsmd or full ride undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayyeyey120

Reaction score
I'm in a super blessed but tough situation right now. I'm deciding between option A and option B right now. Just some FYI, both of these schools are out of state, and i am an african american if that makes any difference in ur advice lol

Option A (8 year bsmd):
-scholarship covers FULL RIDE for undergrad, and FULL TUITION for med school
-binding program; i can't apply out of the program, and apparently if we do leave the program, we pay back all of the scholarship money we earn (we sign some sort of contract before joining the program apparently??)
-med school is rank 70 ish if that matters
-i didn't really like the school or area when i visited
-lots of parental pressure to pick this option
-requirements include keeping a 3.5 gpa, 508 MCAT

Option B (big public state university)
-FULL RIDE for undergrad (current students in the program get like 2-4k a semester of leftover money in their bank accounts)
-i also got accepted to a "premed" type major that accepts only 26 students a year; the classes in the major are medical related but are like gpa booster classes
-students in the major i got into have a really good support system. this year, the seniors in the major have an average gpa of 3.87
-i loved everything about the school when i visited, and i can 100% see myself here for the next 4 years
-the major feeds students research shadowing opportunities. for example, there's a summer shadowing/research internship exclusive to kids in the major
-research opportunities will be easy to come by, as many labs in the medical center (which is on campus) exclusively take students from this major
-i kinda want to take my chances at the traditional premed route. i am an EMT and already have like 150 hours, and plan on continuing that in college and rack up hours during the summers

I really don't know what to pick. I asked my cousin who went to an ivy league undergrad and ended up at a T5 med school what's better, and they said option B. One of the things that concerns me the most is the fact that the bs/md is completely binding. I mean, I'm like 95% sure I want to go into medicine, but at the same time, i'm only 18 and my interests may change over time. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally? I'd take the full ride to a mid-tier MD school, but that's mainly because this is my chosen career and I've already gone through the path of finding it.

The career flexibility of just doing a BS is something to heavily consider. The vast majority of pre-meds are no longer pre-meds by the end of undergrad for many reasons. You will not be the same person in 3-4 years, you cannot reliably predict how you might change, and you may genuinely decide medicine is not your passion--which there's nothing wrong with. The worst outcome is to be stuck in a career you despise.

Reactions: 6 users
option A would've made my life significantly less stressful simply due to all the activities needed to apply to medical school and the uncertainty of acceptance. If you are 95% sure medicine is what you want, then I think option A would be best.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a super blessed but tough situation right now. I'm deciding between option A and option B right now. Just some FYI, both of these schools are out of state, and i am an african american if that makes any difference in ur advice lol

Option A (8 year bsmd):
-scholarship covers FULL RIDE for undergrad, and FULL TUITION for med school
-binding program; i can't apply out of the program, and apparently if we do leave the program, we pay back all of the scholarship money we earn (we sign some sort of contract before joining the program apparently??)
-med school is rank 70 ish if that matters
-i didn't really like the school or area when i visited
-lots of parental pressure to pick this option
-requirements include keeping a 3.5 gpa, 508 MCAT

Option B (big public state university)
-FULL RIDE for undergrad (current students in the program get like 2-4k a semester of leftover money in their bank accounts)
-i also got accepted to a "premed" type major that accepts only 26 students a year; the classes in the major are medical related but are like gpa booster classes
-students in the major i got into have a really good support system. this year, the seniors in the major have an average gpa of 3.87
-i loved everything about the school when i visited, and i can 100% see myself here for the next 4 years
-the major feeds students research shadowing opportunities. for example, there's a summer shadowing/research internship exclusive to kids in the major
-research opportunities will be easy to come by, as many labs in the medical center (which is on campus) exclusively take students from this major
-i kinda want to take my chances at the traditional premed route. i am an EMT and already have like 150 hours, and plan on continuing that in college and rack up hours during the summers

I really don't know what to pick. I asked my cousin who went to an ivy league undergrad and ended up at a T5 med school what's better, and they said option B. One of the things that concerns me the most is the fact that the bs/md is completely binding. I mean, I'm like 95% sure I want to go into medicine, but at the same time, i'm only 18 and my interests may change over time. Any advice is appreciated.
My big question would be what happens in Option A if you don't meet the GPA/MCAT requirements. Do you have to pay it back then?

I might still take Option B even if you don't have to pay back money for undergrad in that scenario. It seems like you are clearly attracted to option B, and I think it's usually best to follow your gut in this situation considering how wonderful both options really are. Congratulations on having such great choices, and good luck down the road!

Personally? I'd take the full ride to a mid-tier MD school, but that's mainly because this is my chosen career and I've already gone through the path of finding it.

The career flexibility of just doing a BS is something to heavily consider. The vast majority of pre-meds are no longer pre-meds by the end of undergrad for many reasons. You will not be the same person in 3-4 years, you cannot reliably predict how you might change, and you may genuinely decide medicine is not your passion--which there's nothing wrong with. The worst outcome is to be stuck in a career you despise.
Congratulations on having two great options to choose from. I would agree that you need to think long and hard about the possibility that you might want to do something other than becoming a physician - especially if you have to pay back the money if you opt-out of the program. That seems like a pretty big risk to me.

Actually it does. Is the medical school where you will be bound to a Historically Black College/University medical school or other Minority Serving Institution medical school? Does the BS/MD come with a lot of student support to help you transition to medical school? What restrictions exist for you to do summer activities such as research or academic enrichment programs like SHPEP (another Early Assurance example)? Will you be connected with the SNMA officers at the school?

Despite the SCOTUS decisions, as an African-American applicant, you will be sought after at every school where you would meet their academic standards. You have to love going to the committed med school for the BS/MD, and the reward will be a lot of debt avoided (tuition increases 3% each year, and med school tuition will also likely increase 3-4% per year as well). If you are set up well with your mentoring and networking, you could get into a higher-ranked or brand-name school that could give you a similar full-tuition or full cost-of-attendance scholarship.

Student support and resources are extremely crucial if you are starting out on your own as a college freshman. Do serious homework to compare School A's BS/MD advising (undergraduate + medical school collaborations?) vs. School B's Honors Program. Option B definitely gives you more options for your own self-discovery, but Option A allows you to avoid a ton more stress about the application process if you succeed.

Edit: I'm assuming here you want to be a doctor. From now on, this is your #1 job. Go shadow. Figure it out. If you can't decide, maybe you're right and you should take the 4 year, but the premed process these days is utterly insane, a guaranteed spot is huge

Take the 8 year bro, and no it's not even close.

There are lots of students from ivy undergrads that never get a med school acceptance. You don't know what's gonna happen.

Reactions: 4 users
Take option B! It sounds like a program with a ton of support for premeds, and without the stress of having to pay back scholarships if you change your mind about medicine or have a tough semester. Enjoy your undergrad years.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take Option B. First, happiness is worth a lot--in of itself. If you aren't happy, the next four years will be a real slog (and you'll also be less apt to do well). Attending college is about so much more than increasing your earning potential. It's about becoming an adult, exploring new courses of study, seeking out new experiences, and making lifelong friends. If you take a myopic view of the college experience, you may miss out on a lot of the good stuff. Second, it is not certain that you'll become a doctor no matter which option you select. Many people leave for college thinking that they want to become a doctor. However, some of them discover, after living on their own and exploring other courses of study, that they would prefer (or need) to do something else. Third, as a URM, if you finish with at least a 3.5 GPA and a 508 MCAT (and you may do better than that), you would be apt to be admitted into medical school anyway. Go to the place where you think that you will be happiest and the rest will fall into place. Good luck on your next great adventure!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I think a key point that may be slipping by the folks who are saying that it's option A hands down is that it still requires the OP to take the MCAT. IMO, that is a real pain, and getting a 508 isn't completely trivial either. Part of the benefit of a BSMD should be that you get to de-stress from a bunch of the pre-med box checking, and if you still have to take the MCAT then I feel like you're missing out on a lot of what makes it a good deal.

I also would take option B. In addition to the reasons listed above, the fact that YOU are not 100% on going to medical school means you owe it to yourself to approach undergrad with an open mind and consider your options.

Congratulations!

Reactions: 8 users
My first thought would be Option A but then you said “I didn’t really like the school or the area”. What didn’t you like? It’s important to be happy and content and if you plan to spend 8 years there it’s really important. So what didn’t you like?

Reactions: 4 users
I believe I know what school B you're referring to - if I'm right, you should go with that option. It sounds like you'd be a lot happier there, and the students in that cohort are beyond successful and supported. I have heard nothing but good things from my friends in that program.

Feel free to PM me to talk more!

I think a key point that may be slipping by the folks who are saying that it's option A hands down is that it still requires the OP to take the MCAT. IMO, that is a real pain, and getting a 508 isn't completely trivial either. Part of the benefit of a BSMD should be that you get to de-stress from a bunch of the pre-med box checking, and if you still have to take the MCAT then I feel like you're missing out on a lot of what makes it a good deal.

I also would take option B. In addition to the reasons listed above, the fact that YOU are not 100% on going to medical school means you owe it to yourself to approach undergrad with an open mind and consider your options.

Congratulations!
Ditto what my learned colleague says.

Reactions: 1 users
Take option B, you already went thru competitive application process successfully and ahead with required ECs. My n=1 declined 2 BSMDs for full tuition scholarship at T20 UG and got into 2 T5 with scholarships without gap years. If you stay focused you could do same.

Actually it does. Is the medical school where you will be bound to a Historically Black College/University medical school or other Minority Serving Institution medical school? Does the BS/MD come with a lot of student support to help you transition to medical school? What restrictions exist for you to do summer activities such as research or academic enrichment programs like SHPEP (another Early Assurance example)? Will you be connected with the SNMA officers at the school?

Despite the SCOTUS decisions, as an African-American applicant, you will be sought after at every school where you would meet their academic standards. You have to love going to the committed med school for the BS/MD, and the reward will be a lot of debt avoided (tuition increases 3% each year, and med school tuition will also likely increase 3-4% per year as well). If you are set up well with your mentoring and networking, you could get into a higher-ranked or brand-name school that could give you a similar full-tuition or full cost-of-attendance scholarship.

Student support and resources are extremely crucial if you are starting out on your own as a college freshman. Do serious homework to compare School A's BS/MD advising (undergraduate + medical school collaborations?) vs. School B's Honors Program. Option B definitely gives you more options for your own self-discovery, but Option A allows you to avoid a ton more stress about the application process if you succeed.
Thanks for all the info. The bs/MD school is not an hbcu or minority type of school. The first two summers we'll be required to be on campus doing research. I spoke with a student, and he said that it is a very laid back experience. The school is a commuter school, so there's lots of options for virtual classes so he literally goes on a trip once a month, and generally has a lot of fun (not at the school since he said it's very boring on campus). There is MCAT support, but I'm not sure exactly what type of support. One of my concerns is that I'll be under prepared for medical school because the undergrad experience will be so chill. He did say that the school itself is very dry, meaning the students all go home after like 5pm since its a commuter school. He also mentioned that some of the cohorts in the bs/MD program are not close friends, and are mainly only communicate to share resources with each other. I am very worried about making a commitment to a bs/MD program; there is an insane amount of parental pressure to do this. It is also a huge risk to turn down a full tuition scholarship to medical school. I know I'm only 18 so I lack a lot of wisom, but in my eyes, if I go to Wayne, I will not develop much as a person, and may just do the bare minimum to matriculate to the med school. That switch into med school may be really hard for me since the 4 years in undergrad will be pretty laid back.

The students (in the major I got accepted to) at school B generally have no problem getting into med school. I believe 17/25 got into med school, and the rest are taking a gap year (idk if this means they didn't get accepted to any or are actually delaying applying by a year). I talked to the program director of the major and he said ultimately you can't go wrong with either, but he was slightly pushing me to go to Wayne because he stated how difficult it is to get scholarships. I'm not sure how much of a factor me being African American will play a role when it comes to medical school scholarships.

When I visited school B and was talking to a student in the major, he did mention that he considered bs/md's but ultimately decided not to go because he felt like he would be lazy during undergrad and wouldn't really push himself. I spoke to another student that was accepted to a bs/MD and is now a senior at school B doing insanely well. Again, I feel very naive wanting to be a part of the traditional premed grind instead of taking the bs/MD. I just feel so uneasy because I genuinely can't see myself at school A. The scholarship program and the major at school B offers tons of support. The students in the major have very good placements into medical school (class of 2024 students going to ucla, UPenn, duke, nyu Grossman, UCSF) so I know i'll be surrounded by highly motivated students.

Last edited:
  • Care
I wouldn't necessarily worry about the BS/MD being overly chill/not preparing you; my best friend from high school went to a 7 year program and really took advantage of it during his undergrad years. I think it's up to you as to what you would do during the BS/MD.

Imo, I'd only take this if you literally could not see yourself doing anything but medicine. If there's even a chance you might want to jump into something else, go to school B just for the sheer opportunities. But if you live and breathe medicine 24/7/365 and that won't ever change, then go with school A. Not having any loan debt+a guaranteed ride to med school is something most pre-meds would dream of.

I had to make a similar decision several years ago and recommend option B. Aside from the common argument that you may not even decide to pursue medicine once you start college, the expected value in your position of going to the state school is significantly higher.

Assuming you accomplish the bare minimum needed by the BS/MD (508 and 3.5) but go with option B, you would be competitive for higher-tier schools. There is little downside except the scholarship money, but the upside is tremendous should you even get the 'average' 3.85 GPA and do well on the MCAT. Ultimately this is a bet on yourself and choosing option B carries a risk that might be uncomfortable, but I oftentimes find that those pursuing BS/MD programs are too risk-averse when choosing undergrads (usually because of parental pressure) and end up applying outside of it anyway after doing well.