Fred q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream-2-Reality

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why not A? 130.png

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I was between A and B. I mean it looks like a diverticulum in the imaging. Even though the presentation kind of sounds like A.

Constipation leads me to diverticulum. I don't know I read it and saw it and just knew it. It seems straight up to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had no idea from looking at the histology but the thought process you want to have here is elderly, constipation(she probably has a low fiber diet) which causes the constipation and abdominal pain. the increased straining form constipation puts excess pressure on the colonic wall causing it to weaken and out pouch.this will be a false diverticulum because only the mucosa and muscular mucosa will outpouch. but again these are pretty simple questions and pathoma does an excellent job explaining this.

Reactions: 1 user
I had no idea from looking at the histology but the thought process you want to have here is elderly, constipation(she probably has a low fiber diet) which causes the constipation and abdominal pain. the increased straining form constipation puts excess pressure on the colonic wall causing it to weaken and out pouch.this will be a false diverticulum because only the mucosa and muscular mucosa will outpouch. but again these are pretty simple questions and pathoma does an excellent job explaining this.

Yeah, it screamed diverticulum to me. Granny all constipated on her tiolet...lol

also OP you are way overthinking it with the histo pics. Often the histo is given to throw you off from the clinical presentation. you might see something like blunted villi or some random **** and they'll want you to pick celiac dis but really it's something else. concentrate on solving the presentation first. just some advice!

I was going to do them but it has been mentioned they are too easy. I did 11 and got them all right so I quit. UW is definitely harder than these but I still find Rx on hard/medium the hardest.

UW just does not give you enough choices that are close to me. I usually can guess it right. I did a section just now and got 5 right on pure gut. And I pray my real one has all this pharm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to do them but it has been mentioned they are too easy. I did 11 and got them all right so I quit. UW is definitely harder than these but I still find Rx on hard/medium the hardest.

UW just does not give you enough choices that are close to me. I usually can guess it right. I did a section just now and got 5 right on pure gut. And I pray my real one has all this pharm.

I don't know why, but UW questions don't seem hard to me, but NBMEs and Rx are. It's weird when it should be the other way around.

Last edited:
Yes, D. How long did it take you? I got it right, but ti took me some time to get it.

Didn't take too long. her age is spot on for auto-immune dis, she has low platelets (the reason why she has low platelets is because she has SLE where she is making auto-antibodies against her platelets),petechiae(pinpoint hemorrhages)is a sign of thrombocytopenia. all that in like 10-15 secs. it's just about the thought process and putting two and two together. keep studying you will get there. makes sure you are doing pathoma and uworld questions on timed tutor mode reading the full explanations, annotating and not moving on to the next question until you have fully understood why you got that question right or wrong. do this and you will start seeing huge differences. good luck!

Didn't take too long. her age is spot on for auto-immune dis, she has low platelets (the reason why she has low platelets is because she has SLE where she is making auto-antibodies against her platelets), petechiae(pinpoint hemorrhages)is a sign of thrombocytopenia. all that in like 10-15 secs. it's just about the thought process and putting two and two together. keep studying you will get there. makes sure you are doing pathoma and uworld questions on timed tutor mode reading the full explanations, annotating and not moving on to the next question until you have fully understood why you got that question right or wrong. do this and you will start seeing huge differences. good luck!

EasyE1907, when I discuss it with other students in person I'm able to tell them the whole story behind it, but when it comes to questions I take longer and sometimes miss clues. But, thanks for your advice and help.

Depends. I have to have surgery so my Step 1 was pushed back for several weeks. So, I did another run through DIT. And just started UW. I spend roughly 8 hrs a day. I really think I can take it and pass now but I want a 230. I take my first practice NBME this weekend since study time began. Hoping to break 220. I seem to do worse on them. I cant figure out the answers like on UW. I am going to try to learn that this weekend. That is more important to me than the score.