Freaking out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's not likely I'll match at UW, my number 1. Never received any love from them. However I also adore my number 2, Mayo, but after reading that every applicant received the e-mail I so cherished where I was told I was in the top group most likely to match, I am disappointed...I would have never thought Dr. Kolars, who looks such a serious and honest man, to send that e-mail to anybody but the very top group. Am I wrong here?

Members don't see this ad.

Pili said:
I know it's not likely I'll match at UW, my number 1. Never received any love from them. However I also adore my number 2, Mayo, but after reading that every applicant received the e-mail I so cherished where I was told I was in the top group most likely to match, I am disappointed...I would have never thought Dr. Kolars, who looks such a serious and honest man, to send that e-mail to anybody but the very top group. Am I wrong here?

Don´t worry Pili!!! If this comforts you, I didnt get that email from Dr. Kolars. And I still ranked them #1! Being a FMG, I understand things are harder for me. But I think that if he sent you an email, you must really be in the top group! So cheer up! :laugh: I am sure u will match at your #1 though. :thumbup:

GL.... 2 more weeks to THE day!

Hb

dude, chill out. i think that you have a good chance of matching at your number 1. just because you didn't get any "love" from them doesn't mean that you won't match there. look at mayo, your number 2 for example. you got "love" there but you are insecure about matching there also.

the point is that don't sweat anything you hear or don't hear. your rank list is in, and as long as you listed it in the order or programs that you liked, things will work out. try to relax, you done all you can and now it is time to sit back and wait for things to play themselves out. good luck :luck:

Pili said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pili said:
Am I wrong here?

Yes you are. The people on this forum are type-a motivated people who probably were in their top list. According to FRIEDA they have 73 first year positions. That is probably more than the entire states of Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas. Their "top list" for 73 positions, I am assuming, would have like 200 people. I am guessing that you have not talked to even 100 people who got "the email."

Relax. There is nothing you can do about it. Enjoy the next 2 weeks. Do not go buy a condo in Rochester for another 3 weeks.

350 interviews for 48 categorical spots. i think your chances of matching there are decent, especially if you were told you were in the top group. i wouldn't worry, hopefully you'll end up in UW.

scholes said:
Yes you are. The people on this forum are type-a motivated people who probably were in their top list. According to FRIEDA they have 73 first year positions. That is probably more than the entire states of Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas. Their "top list" for 73 positions, I am assuming, would have like 200 people. I am guessing that you have not talked to even 100 people who got "the email."

Relax. There is nothing you can do about it. Enjoy the next 2 weeks. Do not go buy a condo in Rochester for another 3 weeks.

UW is probably pretty competitive for everyone, but I've heard that Mayo's reputation tends to get overshadowed by the location; so I don't think you'd have any trouble matching there at all. As a less competitive candidate, I have finally decided to give up worrying about it; if I end up at my #8 or #9 and it's miserable the first year, I can always transfer for PGY-2 (hey, with 20% of people switching residencies after the first year, it's a definite possibility). G'luck! :luck:

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. Truth is, this forum has helped a lot at a time that is definitely very stressful for all of us. Let's see what fate has for us!! :luck: