Private group is being bought out before I become a partner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiologist4life

Reaction score
My private practice group is in talks with being bought out 6 months before I become partner. Everyone else is already a partner. Anything I can do to convince them to give me a share of the buyout?

Members don't see this ad.

You can threaten to resign/quit. If there were a lot of you in your group who are in a similar situation as you ( who aren't partner yet) together you as a group may have more leverage. But in your case probably not much, since one person leaving may not be enough to significantly affect patient care and may not significantly change the valuation of the buyout. If you want to be more sure, would have an attorney look over your contract and the who situation to see if you have any legal recourse in your state. Though in the end you may just have to leave to cut your losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a fear of mine as an employed doc looking to make partner in a large group. I would certainly appreciate updates on how this goes for you. I worry about this probably too much for my own good and always trying to have back up in place or potential recourse if I end up in this situation, so even anecdotal precedence is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My private practice group is in talks with being bought out 6 months before I become partner. Everyone else is already a partner. Anything I can do to convince them to give me a share of the buyout?
Probably not, but regardless, I’d start looking for another job. These situations don’t usually turn out well for the lone sheep among the wolves.