FP vs. OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to decide between family medicine (+/- OB) or OB/Gyn. Can anyone share their thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

FP with OB is something you must be very careful with. Friends who were in the same field dropped the OB secondary to malpractice rates and reimbursements.

FP-short residency, easy to get into, nice schedule (except for the medicine months), many post-res options (fellowships, paths)

OB-Longer residency, easy to get into, NOT so nice schedule, better money

Good luck with the decision making process

Agreed. I originally wanted to do FP with OB. A family practice group in my hometown did OB and lots of procedure ie EGD's, colposcopy, LEEPs, vasectomies, etc. They even had a rural FP residency there and had to shut it down because their malpractice was too high. They first quit OB, now they don't even do anything other than very minor procedures due to malpractice ins. costs.

My choice to change over was based on the fact that any time I looked at a residency all I really cared about was their OB numbers. Also I heard from FPs that the best part of the specialty was lifestyle-which is pretty much ruined if you do OB.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice. i really like OB, but my biggest concerns are
1. lifestyle. i really like to sleep :|
2. people - i find the people in OB tend to be a little more abraisive (although there are some very nice people too), and i'm kinda wimpy, so I don't know if I could handle that.

any thoughts?

1. lifestyle: find a residency that has a night float system and many other residents. there are some that are q6-7 call. not too bad :). after residency of course you can tailor yr practice (supposedly, at least this is what everyone on these boards seem to say)..

2. personalities: again, find a residency where you really get along with the others. there will be hard people to get along with in any specialty, any residency. the important thing is to get to know what kind of people are coming to the program you are interested in and how you get along with them. .. although perhaps I too have an abrasive personality b/c i've gotten along with most in both surgery and ob so far! :).