Foreign Trained Dentist-READ THIS-Important Info on deadline ext. CAL bench Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there folks,
Sorry that I am not a follower of this thread as I am not a california resident:D .

But I do know that there is a "problem" in taking california bench exams.

So, how far is the problem solved right now? What is the current situation for a foreign trained dentist in california?

I am a lazy bum to read all 15 pages:oops: . pardon me for my ignorance

Just curious:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
If u have taken ur part 2 exam before December 2003, ur application can be considered for the exam, (which exam and when is not guaranteed)..If the bill passes, u will get a chance after x number of years or if u r lucky months.
I had called the Dental board and their response is that "the bill is in the legislation and there is no exam yet", "we have not organized anything related to the exam".
this is just a nutshell of what is the status of the CA bench exam.

In a nut shell: In order to qualify for the RT exam one must have passed both NBDE Part I and Part II by December 31 2003. The RT exam method of becomming licensed will end on December 31 2008. One will get 4 attempts at most to pass the RT, but there is no guarantee one will get that many chances if needed. The hope is that each qualifier will get at least 2 chances to pass the exam, but no guarantee on that front either. Priority to sit for the RT , as slots become available, will be given to qualifiers who seek to take the exam for the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops! so bad why are they switching laws like this:eek:

it's not only affecting international dentist in california, but also the international dentist througout USA. What I mean is it increases the competition for IDP seats especially in california schools:(

Thanks for the reply guys:clap:

Hey grounghog i like ur "quote"

Even dogs take care of their pups:thumbup:

Originally posted by dentaldoc
Hi there folks,
Sorry that I am not a follower of this thread as I am not a california resident:D .

But I do know that there is a "problem" in taking california bench exams.

So, how far is the problem solved right now? What is the current situation for a foreign trained dentist in california?

I am a lazy bum to read all 15 pages:oops: . pardon me for my ignorance

Just curious:D

Read the FAQ thread, there's a whole FAQ dedicated to it.

Originally posted by meggs
Read the FAQ thread, there's a whole FAQ dedicated to it.

Thanks meggs, but I kinda understood the "current status":D

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with Andy Martinez a couple of days ago. The bill should get out of the Senate today. He expects that the bill may get approved by the Assembly sometime next week if things go smoothly. If not, then the week after next.

I also spoke with Andy about the process of getting the Governor to sign the bill. Andy reminded me of a fact that I was already vaguely aware of; and that is, a bill that has been passed by the Legislature automatically becomes law 12 days after approval by the Legislature even if the Governor does not sign it. The only way the bill could die is if Governor Schwarzenegger vetoes it. I do not think the Governor will veto it because the bill still has pretty much unanimous support in both houses of the Legislature. Still, I encourage all who are interested in this bill to write letters of support to Governor Schwarzenegger.

Scott

i guess i am just as eager to see some confirmation that this bill be finally approved as everyone else... the agony of waiting everyday is really something else!

:confused: :sleep: :( :rolleyes:

I spoke with Andy Martinez both this morning and again at the end of the day. The Bill was approved in the Senate this afternoon by unanimous consent. It will now go to the Assembly for a vote of concurrence. It is likely to be brought to the floor of the Assembly on Thursday and may be approved as early as Friday. The concurrence vote is really nothing more than a formality. The really good news is that the approval in the Senate was by unanimous concurrence. This fact, coupled with the lack of any opposition in the Assembly means that the Governor will have every motivation to sign the Bill into law almost immediately.

Within a week or two, the Restorative Technique Examination will become a reality. I hope that this legislation provides a vehicle for achievement of the aspirations of all of you who have longed for such a chance.

Scott

hi,

I am a new member to this thread . Thanks for the good news dentisthusband.
I have few questions regarding the RTexam application . I had got my application signed from my school last year can i use the same application even this year.
As u know in india we have initials rather than last name. Do we have to explain in a different letter saying expansion of the initials or how does it work.
Can anyone please reply to this
thank you

hi scott,

not to sound pessimistic but i reviewed the bill history and didn't the same thing happened last sept. 12? the bill was read for the third time with even more people concurring 4o to be exact and it was then forwarded already to the assembly but for some reason in jan. it was ordered returned to senate and was consequently held at desk.

i am just hoping that doesn't happen again. i guess i just have to hold my breath and see what happens tomorrow which is april 1st and pray that they finalize it soon.

do you have any idea if it is possible the the baord conducts an exam this May or august should the bill be signed into law?

georgia

Hi Mommyr,

What happened last fall had absolutely nothing to do with this particular bill. Whenever a bill is assigned "urgent" status as this one has been, a 2/3 majority of the Assembly is required in order to pass the legislation. The only way to achieve a 2/3 majority vote in the Assembly is to have the support of the Republican block. But last fall the Republican minority in the Assembly withheld their vote from all "urgent" status bills as a symbolic protest over the way that earlier budget negotiations had been conducted. I received numerous e-mails from Republican legislators after the end of the fall legislative session, and they all stated their support of the bill. This bill was simply the unintended victim of legislative machinations last fall.

The situation is entirely different now. The Governor has shown his ability to achieve compromise with the Legislature. He is on a roll after his successful campaign for Proposition 57 and 58. The Legislature and the Governor both have no reason, either substantive or symbolic, to withhold support of this bill now. This bill fufills a need of the burgeoning immigrant community for culturally sensitive health care providers, and it costs the State nothing to implement.

As for the chances of the Dental Board conducting exams this year; I do not know their position. We shall all learn that after the Bill becomes law. I fear that as this struggle draws to a successful conclusion, a new one looms ahead. It was evident to me that the Dental Board does not want to conduct more than 2 RT exams per year and that they would drag their feet in conducting exams this year. However, I am confident that working in concert together we can influence the behaviour of the California Dental Board to conduct more RT examinations. I am sure of one thing though, after more than 15 pages of postings on this thread and more than 24,000 viewings of both lurkers and active SDN participants, I look forward to the end of this thread. We can start a new one for advice and assistance for all the candidates who expect to sit for and PASS the RT Examination.

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

The time has come, when this thread is about to come to its end. and its time we speak up to the dental board and let thme know that we want more exams conducted every year. So, everyone gets equal and earliest opportunity.
I am writing this thread, since some of the international associations, like Filipino dental association, Latino dental association, Indian dental association......... have come together and are presently working together to make all the candidates aware about the present situation of the bill and also to get the word to the dental board that we want more exams per year.
They have organised a meeting in Downey(in LA area), where all the candidates taking the exams can attend.
I spoke today earlier with Dr. Domanices from Latino dental association, and I believe he is the one who is organising this meeting.
At the meeting, they want to inform all the candidates about the present situation and and how everything will be once it becomes a law and also they want to send a representative to the dental board asking them to conduct more RT exam.

All the people who are interested in attending this meeting please RSVP to [email protected] Also, once they have your e-mail address on file, they will send you the agenda and all the information you need to know about the exam.

RSVP at [email protected]

Venue:
Downey Community Senior Center
Barbara Riley Center.
7810 Quill Drive.
Downey, Ca 90242
(562) 861-8807
(562) 904-7223

Time: 4:00 pm
Date: April 10th 2004

Please RSVP as soon as possible, since they want to know, how many candidates to expect, since they have to make arrangements for refreshment and etc.

Well, this is the time we have to speak up, so please do come and show that you really care and you might gain some valuable information and the Doctor whom I spoke to, told me that they are also keeping updated with the bill and they do expect to become a law soon.

Thank you and hope to see all of you at the meeting.

Also, I forgot to add, there is no registration fee. They are conducting this meeting to make all the candidates aware of whats happening, so they dont get left out in any important information.

I have a good news for everybody,the bill has passed out of assembly today

You are absolutly wright, a friend of mine got this news from the Dental Board Of California this afternoon, she said the Bill has passed and it is on the way to the Governor to be signed.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

i am soo happy to hear that news :clap: :clap: :clap:

but when should we contact the board regarding more frequent
exams????

i am glad to hear the good news. i just hope we get called to take the exam this year and be prepared enough to pass.

thanks scott for all the info. it has been very encouraging receiving updates from you:thumbup:

Thats a very good news. Our Patiences has paid off. Thats why all the candidates living in the LA area should attend the meeting I was talking about earlier.

Today, I was talking to the president of the Indian dental association, and he told me that, the main reason for the meeting is get our word to the dental board. Dr. Devang Ghandhi is one of the main speaker there. The CDA has asked Dr Ghandhi to get opinions from the candidates so that CDA can also represent the student body and ask them to conduct more exam.

So, i Advice everyone to please show that you do care and you can make difference.

Hope to see most of you there.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi cali_dds,
some of those who live in La will not be able to attend like myself,
what do you think we can do?. is there any phone or fax number
that we can call, can you also provide us with a link to their web site if they have any????????
Thanks dude.:) :) :)

Congrats to everybody who are waiting for the bill to pass.

I do have a question regarding the RT application.Do we have to submit all the original documents or transcripts is ok with the dental board ??

I would appreciate any reply.

sang

Originally posted by cali_dds
9 Today, I was talking to the president of the Indian dental association, and he told me that, the main reason for the meeting is get our word to the dental board. Dr. Devang Ghandhi is one of the main speaker there. The CDA has asked Dr Ghandhi to get opinions from the candidates so that CDA can also represent the student body and ask them to conduct more exam.

Calidds,

Since we have so many pasive readers in this forum, it will be great if you could find out and post here the contact information for the different dental associations that are part of this "fight". You mentioned before Indian, Filipino and Latino dental associations in CA.

If you (or anyone who has it) posts their phone, fax number, email and address, and/or contact person here on this forum, it will be great. That way everyone can contact them whenever they are able to, and thus more people will join you guys.

Also, any other organized group that has interest in this thing.

Just a thought..... :)

i am also waiting for this exam....... i am glad its moving, if anyone have phone number where to call to show our positive vote for exam pls let us know.

I have one question , I have filled re-examination form in april 2003 & i got my form back in nov. I dint get any chance to give exam. & i filled main form in oct 2001 & i gave exam once. Now i have question, On the DBC website its written if there is 2 years since you filled re-examination form then u have to apply again with new fingerprint & fees $556.00. Now actully in my case its only 1 year since i filled re-examination form but its 3 years since i filled main application, so now this time do i have to fill main application with new fingerprinting or only re-examination form will work.if someone one have same problem like me pls guide me.

waiting for reply.
Thanks.

does anyone know where is scott?

I am here in beautiful San Francisco as always.

Regarding some of the earlier posts with specific questions about how the California Dental Board is going to handle certain issues; no one knows yet. And that probably includes the staff of the California Dental Board.

Every candidate only gets 4 chances to pass the RT exam, even if the candidate took the exam under the old rules. If you register for an exam and you fail to show up for the exam, then that counts as one failed attempt. The most important fact is that within 90 days of a published notice from the Dental Board, all potential candidates will have to register for the exam. I imagine that even candidates who took the exam within the last couple of years will also need to do this initial registration. This registration process will absolutely establish the number of candidates who expect to sit for the exam. Only after that initial registration process is complete will we all have an idea how long it might take for any particular candidate to get an opportunity to sit for the exam.

In the meantime, I intend to go to Los Angeles and attend the meeting that Cali_dds discussed above. I hope to meet some of you in person there.

Scott

THANKS SCOTT FOR THE REPLY.
I WAS JUST WONDERING IF OTHER PEOPLE STARTED TAKING IT SERIOUS..I MEAN STARTED PRACTICING...I WAS WAITING FOR THE BOARD TO POST THE UPDATES ON THE WEBSITE..THAT CAN GIVE ME A PUSH TO START.

hi evryone,
i too am waiting to give the rt exam, have been following this thread very religiously. thanks scott for all the news and help..
i guess there are many of us from san fransisco too ...so even we should all try and meet up...
i called dbc and one of the staff told me that when the governer signs the bill then dbc will ask us to send them our ndb scores(there was a issue regd this... she said either we can send a copy of the scores or ask ada to send it to them, either will be ok)and plus she said that this year they plan on keeping only one rt exam because they are very tied up with the clinical exam...and next year they might keep more than 2... so we want them to have more than one exam this year we better act soon...
thanks to scott once again
sonia

I EXAM A YEAR ..SO FUNNY..IF I APPLIED TO THE 2 YEAR PROGRAM LAST YEAR I WOULD HAVE FINISHED BY NEXT YEAR HOWEVER I CHOOSE TO BE WAITING FOREVER:(

GSMM, there is always a good side for everything, you just have to look for it. Let's put it this way:

If you had applied for the 2 year program, you would be finishing school next year and will have a loan of minimun $ 130,000 . But you waited FOREVER and as a prize, you will start with $ 0 loan to pay, isn't it great!!!!! ;)

when is the governor signing the bill?

Originally posted by Chuchuca
GSMM, there is always a good side for everything, you just have to look for it. Let's put it this way:

If you had applied for the 2 year program, you would be finishing school next year and will have a loan of minimun $ 130,000 . But you waited FOREVER and as a prize, you will start with $ 0 loan to pay, isn't it great!!!!! ;)

i agree with you but will you believe me if i told you that money was never the issue, i evaluate the American DDS much more than the 130,000..my relative lived in US for more than 35 years and he is always considered inferior because he has a foreign certificate...

hi all,
hey guys as a matter of fact i know one dentist in bay area.
who got through bench. he has 3 of his own clinics. he hires all post graduates from dental school. i know for sue he makes more money than those guys.

Gsmm, you should NEVER, I mean NEVER feel inferior because you did not graduated here.But if you are already feeling this way, I am sorry, you better go back to school, otherwise you will feel bad and inferior when things do not go as you wish. If you do not believe in yourself, nobody will. Think about it.

I know a few dentists who passed the bench and are just fine.

Never let nobody say or make you feel inferior. We went to school as they did and passed for the same bull**** as anyone. I did and that's why I am proud of myself.
Answer me this: How many times did you call a dentist for an appointment and asked him where did s/he graduate? How many people do that? You go to a dentist because someone said that s/he is good, that's all it matters.
School gives you a way, but life gives you experience, not the other way around.
Believe in yourself ;)

wrong, think of the potential income while waiting and the rise of tuition, fees...

Gsmm, you should NEVER, I mean NEVER feel inferior because you did not graduated here.But if you are already feeling this way, I am sorry, you better go back to school, otherwise you will feel bad and inferior when things do not go as you wish. If you do not believe in yourself, nobody will. Think about it.

I know a few dentists who passed the bench and are just fine.

Never let nobody say or make you feel inferior. We went to school as they did and passed for the same bull**** as anyone. I did and that's why I am proud of myself.
Answer me this: How many times did you call a dentist for an appointment and asked him where did s/he graduate? How many people do that? You go to a dentist because someone said that s/he is good, that's all it matters.
School gives you a way, but life gives you experience, not the other way around.
Believe in yourself ;)
thanks Chuchuca
but..i said he was considered inferior..not he felt inferior..an example to what happened to him is that when he applied for a position at a teaching hospital his competitors try to take his place by mentioning his foreign education, his hard time to get accepted for postgraduate rducation, and many other situations that can make u hate that u r different.
but on the contrary, he has been successful for 30 years now and if u think me is financially unstable, let me tell u he is a millionaire!

I do want to point out one thing with relation to this bench exam
and I dont want to sound too negative, but I think everybody thinking about taking this exam should have ideas and even plans relating to what they may do if they dont pass the exam.

This is a very difficult exam and it looks like it's not gonna be offered as frequently as we would like.

I advise that along with going that route, you also pursue admission into A DDS program just in case.

hi all,
i agree to the fact that the bench exam is not the surest way and even if one is not keen on it, one should have back up plans like going to school. i myself was very reluctant about this to begin with and wasted a year waiting for the bench, but thankfully i got accepted in a school this year. there is always uncertainity related to when u will get a chance and if u get a chance u will pass or not etc. also, if there is a bench exam this year it will not be before fall ie Sept-Oct, that thing is very certain as the dental board is busy with the licensing exams already scheduled this year.

what scares me is that the average scores has risen so much compared to two or three years ago :scared: i got only 88.......and no way i can repeat...i dont have the time nor the effort....because of family responsibility...
eith i pass the bench...or i might lose the whole thing if i didnt get accepted at the IDP this year!!
i wonder if i wasnt lucky and failed both ways..what will be my fate?..i think i might give up my career..life is more precious than losing year after year waiting for the stupid dental board for frequent exams..or waiting for the misserable IDP to accept my 88 which when classified with other boards like the medical for example..its considered a fantastic score...my brother in law is a medical student and when he got 81 at usmle part 1 he was so happy and very appreciated..so
if that really happened to me, it shall be the turning point in my life and i shall say good buy to dentistry :thumbdown:

I have cleared my part 1 and 2 before 2003.so I am eligible for the bench exam but I want to write my part 1 again this year and my current score of part1 will be in 2004.I am not very sure whether I will be eligible for this exam then.
Practically I have finished my part 2 in 2003 so I am eligible that way.
Called ca dental board but they r not telling anything sure.
I desperately need to know about my eligibility so that I can make further decisions
Can anybody help me to come out of this?

ddsfight said:
I have cleared my part 1 and 2 before 2003.so I am eligible for the bench exam but I want to write my part 1 again this year and my current score of part1 will be in 2004.I am not very sure whether I will be eligible for this exam then.
I desperately need to know about my eligibility so that I can make further decisions

If you take the exam now, the current scores will be your valid scores. Since they have already specified that they need you to have completed both part 1 & 2 prior to 2003 they will most likely reject your application if you were to submit the 2004 scores.
Do varify with them and if they say you can go ahead and re-take the exam ask them to send the info in a e-mail or letter ( dont rely on a message that can't be reproduced ).

ddsfight said:
i think u are going to lose your chances for the bench!

Hi.....Do u mean to say that only those who have passed part1 & 2 before 2003 can give bench test.....i have just finished my part 2.....does it mean i am not eligible...please help

Hello

Last week we had a meeting at Downey in southern california. Dr. Devang Gandi, Dr. Luis Dominicis and President of Indian Dental Association were there as a speaker.

There were close to 40 people present at the meeting. This meeting was very very informative and we were presented an inside story of what's going on with RT exams and future of License exam.

If you want to be updated about RT exam then please send your email to [email protected]

Sanjiv

Sanjiv said:
Hello

If you want to be updated about RT exam then please send your email to [email protected]

Hi Sanjiv,
all of us checking this thread regularly are interested in being updated about the RT exam's inside info, so kindly post it so that everyone can know about it and the receiver doesn't get tons of emails from everyone.
Thank you in advance.

SCK

I prefer that everyone send your name and email id to [email protected]
This email id belongs to the people who are working behind the scene to help preserve the right of foreign trained dentists to get the license via RT exam.

The more email contacts of potential RT applicants they get, the better.

We all need to show our support to these people rather than just waiting on this forum for some miracle to happen.

Sanjiv

Maybe you guys should set up a Yahoo or MSN group.

smileydent said:
Hi.....Do u mean to say that only those who have passed part1 & 2 before 2003 can give bench test.....i have just finished my part 2.....does it mean i am not eligible...please help

My understanding of the legislation as passed, is that one must have taken and passed both part I and part 2 no later December 31, 2003 in order to be eligible to take the RT exam. I think you have unitl April 2004 to provide confirmation that you passed the tests, but both tests must have been taken by Dec 31, 2003.