Foreign Trained Dentist-READ THIS-Important Info on deadline ext. CAL bench Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The pending legislation requires that you have passed both Parts I and II by the end of December 2003. That means you can take the Part II test on Dec 30 and 31 (since it is a two day exam) of this year and qualify for the bench test. So long as you pass the Part II test of course.

For those of you who have not yet taken the Part II exam, it is not graded the same way as the Part I exam. In the Part I exam you must get at least a 75% score in each of 4 separate exam sections. In the Part II exam you will receive a letter grade of either; L - below the average score, A - average score or H - higher than average score. The sum of those marks is accumulated into an overall average for the entire exam, and that overall average must be equal to or greater than 75%. Chuchuca, how is your Part II study effort going?

Scott

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is taking Part 1 (only Biochemistry section) on Dec. 1st. He won't get the result until next year, but is there any way to take part 2 anyway before Dec. 31st? What if he goes to ADA in Chicago? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Thanks!

Hi Scott,

thanks again for the info.

Well, I am not feeling good about pharmacology, the other subjects I am doing fine. So, correct if I am wrong, for part2 if I do not get a good score in pharmaco and do better in other subjects, then I still have a chance, right? If it is this way, I will feel much better (but I will keep studying) One thing I know, I HAVE TO PASS no matter what and I will, right? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi KatieJune,

Nice screen name. Its not nearly so obsessive/compulsive as some of the others we all choose. See the "Just an Observation" thread.

You have an unusual issue to resolve. Our own experience with the ADA on unusual issues was not very good. It normally takes the ADA 5 weeks to grade the Part I exam and they would not let my wife apply for the Part II exam until she had gotten her official score on the Part I. If there is any cahnce that your husband thinks he will be intellectually and emotionally ready to sit for the Part II exam in the month of December, then he should write a letter directly to the ADA. We coresponded with a Mr. Oliver on an issue and I think he would be a good person to start with for a request for special consderation.

Scott

Hey guys...

It's only a few weeks to January, and hopefully our bill would be reintroduced again as the Senate reconvenes. Do we start e-mailing our legislators to support the bill in the next few weeks? Or is it a bit too early?

Keeping your hopes alive...

Ivorinedust

-----------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve me of my toothache!

Originally posted by Dentisthusband
The pending legislation requires that you have passed both Parts I and II by the end of December 2003. That means you can take the Part II test on Dec 30 and 31 (since it is a two day exam) of this year and qualify for the bench test. So long as you pass the Part II test of course.

For those of you who have not yet taken the Part II exam, it is not graded the same way as the Part I exam. In the Part I exam you must get at least a 75% score in each of 4 separate exam sections. In the Part II exam you will receive a letter grade of either; L - below the average score, A - average score or H - higher than average score. The sum of those marks is accumulated into an overall average for the entire exam, and that overall average must be equal to or greater than 75%. Chuchuca, how is your Part II study effort going?

Scott

Hii all,

I am new to this forum---just came across this thread today. Well, i appeared for Part I in Dec 2003 and my results will not be out till Feb 2004.

In that case what do I do?? I just have 10 days left....

I cant appear for Part II before my Part I results.

Can I appear for Part II in March 2004??

Ritu

hi ,
look u can try u r best .
what u could do is start u r prep for part 2 right away & instead of waiting for march for u r part 2 , u can give a CBT( computer based test ) as soon as u get u r part 1 results . generally one gets part 2 CBT results in 10 days r so .
thats the best option i guess .

Thanks Sada!!

Our Part I was on Dec 1st---and results are out within 4-6 weeks-----so probably expected to be 15th January.

That means I can take Part II only after Jan 15th---either CBT or written.

But to be eligible for the California Bench-test-----the deadline for taking Part II is December 2003.

So, what is the best I can do??

Any advice is appreciated....

Ritu

I predict that the bench exams will be re-administered starting next spring, but the former bill will be revised:

1. The exams will extend past 2007 because of the sheer number of applicants.

2. The number of chances given to an applicant to pass the exams will be reduced to two (from the original four) to give everyone an equal opportunity to take it.

3. Exams will be administered three times a year, maybe four.

4. Exam fees will dramatically increase. Expect Duggan's and UCLA review classes to react sympathetically.

5. There will only be only one filing period for all of the exams till the bench exam is finally laid to rest, so some people might be placed on the waiting list for three or more years.

Finally, there will be an extreme shortage of ivorine teeth.

:p

These, according to my crystal ball....

Ivorinedust

-----------------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve me of my toothache!

I know of a person who took the bench exams and practising dentistry in California and has the title of DMD.

Can anyone not offered a degree of that order from an university just tag that to the back of their names?

HI EVERYBODY!
I AM NEW TO THIS THREAD AND LIKE ALL OF U I AM WAITING FOR THE FINAL DECISION CONCERNING THE RT EXAM TO BE MADE.

CAN THOSE OF U WHO HAVE TAKEN THE DUGGAN OR THE UCLA RT EXAM PREPARATION COUSRE POST THE LIST OF EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR THESE COURSES?
I HAVE TRIED TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION FROM UCLA BUT THEY SAID THEY WON'T GIVE ME THIS LIST UNLESS I WAS REGISTERED TO TAKE THE COURSE. I WILL BE TRAVELLING BACK HOME FOR A SHORT VACATION SOON AND IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER FOR ME IF I COULD GET MY EQUIPMENT WITH ME , AT LEAST THOSE I ALREADY HAVE.

ANY HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU:love:

No

Originally posted by bpl77
I know of a person who took the bench exams and practising dentistry in California and has the title of DMD.

Can anyone not offered a degree of that order from an university just tag that to the back of their names?

Originally posted by futurdentist
I HAVE TRIED TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION FROM UCLA BUT THEY SAID THEY WON'T GIVE ME THIS LIST UNLESS I WAS REGISTERED TO TAKE THE COURSE. I WILL BE TRAVELLING BACK HOME FOR A SHORT VACATION SOON AND IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER FOR ME IF I COULD GET MY EQUIPMENT WITH ME , AT LEAST THOSE I ALREADY HAVE.......:

First, welcome. :D
Second, do a search on this forum, 'cause this topic has been touched before quite a few times.
Third, just bring from home everything you might have and could possibly bring. You need pretty much a complete dental office, but the chair. :eek:
Fourth, my eyes hurt, please DO NOT use all caps. :cool:

bye, have a nice trip home!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dudelove,

Great. I was just curious --- thx for clarifying.
sang

I did some research, and Dudelove with his very succinct response is not entirely correct.

Keeping in mind that the rules and regulations regarding the health professions is the purview of each individual state, I looked up the question in the Dental Practice Act of the California Code of Regulations. Chapter 2 of the Act is titled "Dentists" and Article 7 of Chapter 2 is titled "Advertising". Article 7 is the only part of the Dental Practice Act that touches on this issue. Article 7 discusses in detail about what is appropriate advertising and what is not. Article 7 goes into even greater detail about which dental specialties are recognized and the limitations placed upon advertising any specialties that a dentist might advertise. The only qualification to advertise as a dentist is that you are duly licensed to practice dentistry, and that if you are not a graduate of a recognized specialty program, that you limit your advertising to the "practice of general dentistry".

Since California has licensed foreign trained dentists to practice in the state, those foreign trained dentists may advertise as a DDS or DMD if those initials closely translate from the native language of the educational certificate orginally obtained in their home country. The Dental Practice Act in California only cares about truth in advertising the fees that you charge and the specialty certificate that you may have obtained.

So if you are licensed here and are engaged in the practice of general dentistry, and want to call yourself a DDS or a DMD, go right ahead. If you want to put the initials PGB after your name then go right ahead and do that too. (PGB = Periodontal Grand Poobah, for those of you who were uninformed.)

We're pretty laid back here in California, so whatever floats your boat.

Scott

Hi meggs,

Thank u for your reply.
I just checked all the topics in the international dental forum and i didn't find anything regarding the equipment needed for the RT Exam preparation course.
Do u remember what the name of that thread was?

Thank you.:)

Hi Dentisthusband

I have called Mr. martinez and he said the bill will go back to Senate. don't ask me why, nor the fact that their info seems to show that the bill is at ASM. He tried to explained and I tried to understand, but :oops:

please try to contact your senators and told them your support for the bill

My district's senator: Ms Figuroa voted YES on the bill and will do so

Hi Organic and Ivorinedust et al,

I also talked to Andy Martinez a couple of weeks ago. The bill will be taken up during the next legislative session and that session begins on Monday, January 5. Andy remains very positive about the prospects for quick passage of the bill.

It may be somewhat confusing, but the bill must return to the Senate for changes and amendments. The main reason for its return to the Senate is to change the dates of enactment of the bill and the dates of the deadlines stipulated in the bill. For example, the bill will stipulate the deadline for receipt of all applications at the office of the Dental Board. Currently the bill says that applications were to have been received by Dec. 31, 2003, except for those applicants who did not yet have their Board 2 scores. Since the bill will not be approved until some future date in 2004, the deadline for application will be extended. All changes to the bill must be approved by both Houses of the Legislature. The State legislative website is not always up to date on the status of bills so don't let that bother you.

The bill still has unanimous support so it should be smooth sailing in January. As a reminder, one provision that will not change is the date that all candidates must have passed Board 2. You must have passed NBDE II on or before Dec. 31, 2003 in order to be eligible for the Bench test.

As to Ivorinedust's comments, I presume some of them were made in jest. But let me dispell any doubts that some of you may have:

1.The final date of sunset for the bench test is fairly firmly set and there is little to no chance that it will be extended beyond 2008 (not 2007 as Ivorinedust wrote), regardless of how many applicants there are.

2. The number of opportunities for applicants to take the bench test is currently 4 and there is no discussion of reducing that number. However the bill specifically states that there is no guaranty that applicants will get all of those chances due to limited testing opportunities.

3. After the bill is passed, it will be up to all of us to lobby, beg and cajole the Dental Board into conducting more bench tests per year. The number of tests will not be specified in the bill.

4. Fees will be set by the Dental Board, not the Legislature.

5. The method and timing of filing applications will be left up to the Dental Board so there is a chance that some may wait for a year or more to actually sit for the exam. Again, if we collectively want to influence how this process is occuring, we will need to convince the Dental Board, not the Legislature.

If any of you are getting antsy about this then feel free to write to Legislators. I myself won't be bothering my Legislators, I trust that they will all do the right thing. I'm saving my energy for the Dental Board after the bill is passed and signed by our new Governor. By the way, I suggest that we do not contact the Dental Board until after the bill is signed into law. The Board is still a reluctant participant in this whole thing. Lets not rock the boat until we get out of the deep waters.

Scott

As we know, today the state legislative has re-opened after the holidays. So, please people in contact with Andy do update this thread and all of us know, who are eagerly waiting to hear something about the RT exam.

Thanks to all the people, who has put alot of efforts in keeping this forum alive and bring us all the latest news.

Good luck to all of you waiting for the exams.

Hi cali_dds,

Since today was only the first day of the new session, I did not bother Andy today and I don't think I will call him until this Friday. As you may know, Governor Schwarzenegger is giving his budget proposal to the Legislature tomorrow. That event, and the ongoing struggle to find a solution for our state's budget crisis, are where most attention will be placed this week. However, I am confident from my past conversations with Andy that the passage of AB 1467 will remain a priority until it is passed by the Legislature and signed into law by the Governor. I'll post something as soon as something new happens to the bill.

Scott

Hello Scott

Thanks for the information.
Please keep us updated. Also let us know the next action on our part. And we all can start email/phone campaign once again.
United we stand.

Happy New Year 2004 to you all.

Thanks
Sanjiv

Anybody knows of further updates? the status of the bill is "in senate, held at desk". Does anyone have the idea of further actions and the tentative date it will happen. has anyone talked to the CA dental board?

Hi guys,,

will California bench exam be extended or not? when will this be clear?? i heard that only the holders of national board before 2004 can apply .. is this true ...

lets hear from u

hi
yes only those who have passedthier part1 and 2 before 31stdec 2003 r eligible
if u wnat to keep ur self updated then look a link whihc was posted in this thread ...u shall get all yr ans ...

Hi kosha
I have completed my part 2 in dec but I heard that if the RT bill passes it will take atleast 2 yrs to get a chance to sit for the exam is that really true ?
thanks
sang

hi bpl
welll it can be true i do not know ...but u have to take yr chnaces if u do not nwat to go to school again

Hi Everyone,

I received an e-mail today from a friend who spoke to Andy about the progress of the Bill. Andy told her that AB 1467 is now in Committee in the Senate. Andy expects the Senate to vote on, and approve the bill next week. Andy even went so far as to say that he expects the bill to be signed into law by the end of January. I've met Andy and he is a pretty reserved guy, so his self assurance about the bill is a very good omen.

No one really knows how many candidates are putting all of their hopes on this bill, so no one can say how long it might take to get a chance to sit for the exam, bpl77. One fact that we do know for certain is that the exam site can only accommodate 250 candidates, and in the past the Dental Board has only conducted two RT exams per year. So if there happen to be several thousand candidates, it may be several years for everyone to get a shot at the exam. That is why I have suggested that after the bill passes and is signed into law, we will need to make a concerted effort to lobby the Dental Board to conduct more RT exams each year until all candidates get a fair shot at passing the test.

In the meantime, think positive thoughts.

Scott

hi scott;

if u could guide us as in what we need to do to push the board to conduct more exams ......u have my full susport

Hey scott and everyone else,
You have my full support. Scott, do keep us updated and also let us all know if we need to get something done. You have my support for everything.
Just keep up the hope people, and tell california that we are coming........

Hey everyone,
Whats happening about the law? Does anyone know about any progress on the bill?

Please do keep us updated on that. Has anyone contacted andy?

Donot Worry guys Bill is gonna pass..It is just going thru process cause Sen Figurea wants to change Codes. Dates are going to remain same. I spoke with Dental Board of California thru my source in the board....RT exam will be held in 2004...Good luck to all of you..

Well, just wondering, is there new thread for this topic and i am missing out on all the updates? Or the senators arent acting as fast as our minds are thinking?

Scott, whats happening out there? keep us updated. Do let us know whats happening??????????????????????

Ahh, back to my favorite thread!

Yesterday evening I called Andy Martinez, the legislative consultant to Assemblymember Gloria Negrete-McLeod. Contrary to what Dr. Terlet of the California Dental Board said to Gabriela at the Dental Board meeting last week, the Dental Board did continue to try to make draconian amendments to AB 1467. Two days ago there was a conference call with attorneys and members of the Dental Board staff and the Legislature staff to try to reach an agreement on the exact wording of the bill. The good news is that an agreement was reached between all interested parties. Unless someone changes their mind about what was agreed to during the conference call, the bill will now move quickly through the legislative process. Andy discussed a probable timeline and it sounds like the bill could be through both houses of the Legislature within 2 or 3 weeks. Based upon his discussions with the Governor's office, Andy expects approval from the Governor quickly as well.

Andy told me that the procedure that has been agreed to, and which will be written into the wording of the bill, is that candidates who passed both Dental Boards before Dec. 31, 2003 will have 90 days after the enactment of the legislation to send in proof of their passing scores to the California Dental Board. Note that the enactment date is the day that the Governor signs the legislation into law. This requirement to send in proof of passing scores will absolutely establish the number of qualified candidates who expect to sit for the exam. Only then will we have an idea as to how long it might take to get your chance to sit for the exam. At that time, the California Dental Board still expects to only conduct 2 bench tests per calendar year. But I hope that we can collectively pressure them into increasing the number of test opportunities after the bill passes and is signed into law.

For all who have waited so long for this bill, I suggest that you send an e-mail message of appreciation to Andy Martinez for his tireless efforts on this issue. His email address is [email protected]. Be sure to thank Assemblymember Gloria Negrete-McLeod for her authorship of this bill. We all owe both her and Andy a debt of gratitude and thanks.

Scott

thank you dentisthusband for your update information

thanks for the info

Thankyou dentisthusband for all the information. Your post has given us some rays of hopes regarding RT exam extension.

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the info. we will email andy. so what do u all think.. they will give 90 days to prove our part 2 thing. assuming, the bill is signed by March first week, if we calculate things that way, they will take until June to determine how many candidates are there and then they can probably have a filing period and an exam after that. so, the earliest exam this year can be around July-August, right? also, there are a lot of people who have applied before and didnt get a chance to take the bench, will they also need to go thru this?

hi dentisthusband ,
thanks for the info , just now mailed a thank u note to andy martinez .
hopefully we should get to hear about the dates by march end atleast .

hi sck ,
seems like u r calculations r right , so as of now it might be somewhere in july/august , thats if we get a chance then , r else it might be sept r oct ????
sada

hi,
that's right, if we get a chance. but a lot of us will have started school by then, so will it really matter? i dont know how many people would just leave the IDP program from inbetween or after 2-3 months if they get to take the bench and PASS? what does everyone have to say? how practical is that?
all opinions would be appreciated.

hi scott;
thanx for the update and shall send a emial of gratitude to andy..for sure

WE THANK YOU SCOTT FOR ALL YOUR VALIABLE INFORMATION .

hi
i want to know if i take the part 2 exam on march, can i have change to take bench exam?

The uncertainity & delay of the bill AB1467 is killing all of us. I was trying to understand how long this could happen.

When I looked at the senate schedule,

http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/schedules/senfloorsess.htp

I found 2 points.

1. Saturday, January 31 LAST DAY TO PASS SENATE BILLS
INTRODUCED IN 2003
What does this mean, in regards to AB1467?

2. Friday, February 20 Floor Session, 8:30 a.m.*
LAST DAY TO INTRODUCE 2004 SENATE
BILLS
Does this mean that there are only 5 days for this bill to be proposed with all the clauses needed by DBC?

I feel Dental Board of California is trying to kill the bill by
either 1000 cuts or lengthy delay. Though I am still hopeful, the above dates concern me.

What concerns me, is the fact that due to the 'Jan 31st' clause above, AB1467 might be considered a dead bill.

In that case will they reintroduce the same bill under a different name/number? If yes, then the new bill needs to be introduced by Feb 20th.

Any comments?

i have no answers for your questions but telling you the truth, i dont feel comfortable about the process, no updates, no fast acts taking place to pass the bill and no one knows the truth thats inside the dental board members mind regarding introducing many corrections to the dates and so on which seems to me only a way to waste time and make it an impossible process.

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with Andy yesterday afternoon. I feel lately like I have been bothering him too much. But he is always polite nonetheless. Here is what he told me:

The Legislature has a group of non-partisan attorneys that assist all members of the Legislature with the actual drafting and specific wording of pending legislation. Those staff attorneys have been participating in conference telephone calls between the California Dental Board and the California Dental Association and Assemblymember Negrete-McLeod's staff. Andy said that they are 99.9% complete with the final draft of the exact wording of AB 1467.

He said that after the much argued and discussed wording is finally drafted, the Legislative approval will be almost immediate. the Legislative deadlines that someone was asking about in an earlier post do not apply to this particular bill. Andy hopes to have it done and approved, possibly within the next 2 weeks.

The good news for all of you hopeful candidates is that the Dental Board is preparing to conduct a bench test exam in May of this year if the bill passes and is signed by Governor Schwarzenegger relatively quickly.

Scott

Hi Scott

staff from Dental boar of CA told me that they are preparing for an exam for the earliest late summer, but they were reluctant to tell me which month. I asked" possibly August", they told me" yes, possible, that is a possible timing"

I don't know where you had your information from, but as we had discussed earlier, everyone seemed to say different stories, and information all varies....

I just want to put this information as reference

thanks

Hi Scott

I forgot one more thing, the reason I felt that late summer would be more possible than May was because of the fact that the DBC will need 90 days to construct the pool of all the valid candidates who will take the bench exam.

But again, nothing is for sure
this is DBC, you never know

thanks

Hi Organic,

I have no doubt that the California Dental Board may have been less than honest and forthright with Andy. Andy Martinez told me that he was told by the staff of the Dental Board that the Board is preparing for a bench exam as early as May. Of course there is no guaranty that they would actually conduct the exam in May.

Regarding the 90 day period that is being inserted into the language of the bill; that is the amount of time that all potential candidates will have to send in proof that the candidate has passed both National Boards. The 90 deadline applys to potential candidates. There is nothing in the pending legislation that would require the Dental Board to wait 90 days before conducting a bench test.

Scott

where are you scott..where are your inputs, i am always hoping for the good news.

hi ,
same here , waiting to hear something ....
seems like this thread is almost lost !!!!!!!