Foreign Trained Dentist-READ THIS-Important Info on deadline ext. CAL bench Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone,

I just called Andy Martinez in Sacramento. Ongoing discussions about the wording of the bill have been completed and the staff attorneys either will complete the draft today, or on Monday. The bill will then be moved out of the Senate and on to the Assembly within one or two weeks. It is possible that the bill will be fully approved and on to the Governor within 3 weeks or so.

Scott

Members don't see this ad.

hi scott
i was talking to my freind today and she tld me that her hubby had gone to the board and they said that the final draft was done last fir .....but what i understand is that today the feb session ends .....and they shall start again in april and the bill diesin aug 2004...i might be worng pl correct me

Hi Kosha,

I called the Assembly after I read your post and the current session lasts all the way into September. Members of the Assembly will be in Sacramento and working all of next week and beyond.

As for the info that your friend got from the the Dental Board; I would guess that various drafts were probably done last Friday. But getting everyone to stop complaining and agree on the final wording evidently took longer than expected.

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
endless waiting, it is driving everyone nuts!

:oops: :wow: :mad: +pissed+

but thanks Dentisthusband for sharing info

Hi friends,
So can one of u pl explain what does all this mean for the CA bench test.... Quite a few of us dont understand the implications of these proceedings. like when will the exam be etc.

scott.. i think i dont believe these people.. its kind of nonsense waiting all this time without fixed date..everything and every law in the country has a fixed date..do you still think they are saying the truth,,its very strange my friens if after every two weeks we have to wait another twoooooooooooooooooooo weeks:confused:

Originally posted by sck
Hi friends,
So can one of u pl explain what does all this mean for the CA bench test.... Quite a few of us dont understand the implications of these proceedings. like when will the exam be etc.

Scott has explained this very well on the FAQ thread. It's a sticky thread.

Hi Meggs,
The point i am trying to convey here is the "repercussions" of these proceedings..

And yes, one thing i and many others have learnt is that NEVER take Dental Board's words by face value.... They actually LIE a lot of the times just to "pacify" people. They did that in Sacramento, when the "herd" of foreign dentists gathered.

hey guys,
Monday has already come and gone.I guess the bill should make its move today out from the senate..
Any comments about this prediction?:)
Waiting to hear especially from you dentist husband if you have any news..thank you

Let us cross our fingers

They have been crossed for so long, now they are totally entangled :laugh:

I think the next legislative meeting is on March 4th the Thursday. I don't think there was a meeting yesterday.

Check it out here.

http://www.assembly.ca.gov

This is the site gives information on when assembly meets and so on nothing specific to AB 1467 bill...

-charaka

there was nothing going on within the legislature ( senate or assembly) for bill AB 1467 yesterday

there was, however, meetings of the lawyers from both DBC and the author's office. They were basically working up with the wordings of the bill, the final and exact content. There seemed to still have some disagreement from both sides. If they DID make a final agreement, the bill will have its final version set and be on its way to the senate and the aseembly all over again ( I was told that the process will be FAST.........) . If they didn't draw to a conclusion yesterday, they probably will meet up next week or in 2 weeks to keep on talking....

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think their talk seems to be never ending+pissed+ .....

hi ,
waiting , waiting & waiting !!!! it sucks . we dont even know whats going on ......how long its going to take.....
every now & then we get to hear that with in a week r 2 it will be finalised . mean while what will happen to the april 30 th dead line ??? i mean we had heard something like april 30 th will be the last date for applying to the bench test . will that still be so ??? cause its already march 6 th , even if by next 2 weeks things r finalised & the DBC starts issuing the applications , most of us wont be able to submit the application within 1 month , as it needs to be signed by the schools from where we graduated . what happenes then ???

Hi Sadanand,
As per my knowledge the board should send application even now. They had send me two forms for the bench when I called for it . You better get it signed from the Dean of your college asap....Or else there is another option of downloading the RT form from their website.
I think you should be prepared on your side , coz the Board might ask for application anytime , as soon as the bill passes.

As far as I know, they are not sending application pkg since last year. A friend tried and she was informed that she should wait until the approval of the extension. On the website, they do not have application for RT anymore. This is the address that we have http://www.dbc.ca.gov/rtsched.html

I just have an application because I asked for in 2002, hopefully it still the same.

Is there any of u here, who has applied before and didnt get a chance so far and got the application packet back? Will the same application work when they start accepting applications?

Hi sck,
That's me, I got my packet back last year . I contacted the board and they replied saying that they anticipate taking the same application this time round, once they get a final word about the extension. So I haven't filled out a new application just as yet. Hope this helps.

hi everyone ,
looks like i am the only one with out an application form !!!!!!
what do i do ?? i did go through the website , & as chuchuca has written it says

"The methods and dates for filing for the examination are currently under review and will be posted when finalized. You may check back in February 2004 for updated information."

irishcream can u please let me know how to proceed now ??
r can i request anyone to send me the application pkg , whos no more waiting for the RT exam ?? r say even a photocopy if some one has not already filled it ???

anyinfo in this regard will be highly appreciated .

hi,
You can request a application packet for the RT exam by calling up to the DBC.Here are the phone numbers along with the extensions.916-263-2300( ext:2326)
(ext: 2296)
( ext:2340)
I hope this helps.

hi dentogirl ,
thanks a lot . called the nos u have given . & left my name & add , for the aplication pkg to be sent . hope will receive it soon .

hi again ,
i was wondering if anyone has/ is planning to join the short course announced by duggan , startingf rom 21 st march ???

am considering joining the same , but am in doubt , whether to go ahead r to wait !!!!!!

hi guys ;
any news i think the sentate was suspose to vote yesterday on it

i lost hope in the bill two month ago:(

Originally posted by gsmm
i lost hope in the bill two month ago:(
=========================================

I don't think so, because I always find you checking on something new coming up in this thread:p

I have no news about the senate voting on the bill last Friday. But
I am hopeful that they did(or will do anytime soon). I checked on the agenda for the board meeting last Mar 11, and indeed the matter regarding ab1467 was to be taken up. Is this indicative of what is to come very soon? Well, at least they are talking about it, gsmm.

Would that be enough to rekindle hope?

Ivorinedust
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve me of my toothache!

hi all
we think that we are running out of time just waiting, we are in the process to form an organization of all foreign dentists who are waiting to take the RT exam and we need you all to join us to take an action to follow up that,we appreciate if you contact us on sam90404 at yahoo,please leave your name ,thanks+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

14 pages of this thread are already full...15th page is just about to begin...Seems like this is a never ending issue...Waiting for this thread to have a happy end...
Anybody still with any news?
:confused:

i advice all the people who are waiting in this thread to find faster ways to get their license..its a friendly advice.

Hello Everyone,

I spoke to Andy Martinez last Friday, but I didn't post a message because he really didn't have much encouraging news. I spoke to him again this morning and the report was a whole lot more encouraging.

The draft of the amendment was prepared and circulated by the Legislative staff attorneys last week, but no action was taken because the Dental Board members and staff were all in San Diego for an official Board meeting. This week the Dental Board reviewed the draft legislation and again had some quibbling issues. The Board was concerned about the semantical interpretation of the draft legislation sentence structure. Those concerns were addressed and Andy sincerely believes that the legislation will go to the floor of the Senate next week. He even has hope that the legislation may get approved by the Assembly next week as well.

In any event, I myself believe that the legislation is finally coming to a successful conclusion. There will still be the hurdle of the ongoing obstructionism of the Dental Board as to the number of Bensh Test Exams that will be conducted this year and in the remaining limited lifespan of this legislation. In spite of the future struggles that we may have with the California Dental Board, I truly believe and hope that we shall have cause for some small celebration within the next two weeks.

Scott

Originally posted by Dentisthusband
I truly believe and hope that we shall have cause for some small celebration within the next two weeks.

Hey Scott,

Have you ever asked them why is "two weeks" their favorite time period???? It seems like that's the only time measuring unit they know!!!

Well, good thing I'm not the one doing the talking, 'cause I would had probably lost my patience by now. Good thing you're the one!!

Scott, thanks for posting the info to everyone.
I appreciate your positive tone and outlook for the future of this exam.

Megg, your frustration is shared by many in the forum. But as you are more and more involved with American administration and beaureaucracy, you will feel 2 week period is really short. INS count by 6 months....State department has a unit of 4 months....

this is our entry price .

:oops:

Let us hope, it is 2 weeks only

Hi Everyone,

The official website of the California Legislature is showing the RT Exam legislation as having passed out of the Senate into the Assembly. Since this website is usually a day or two late, the bill may have already passed out of the Assembly as well. I will check later and post any new information.

Believe me, I have felt just like some of you who have vented your frustration on this forum in the last couple of weeks. But I have also always been confident that the bill would ultimately pass. Those of you who have counted on this bill passing, will undoubtedly feel the same level of frustration again as we try to get the Dental Board to conduct more examinations.

Right now though, I am just looking forward to seeing Gov. Schwarzenegger sign the bill into law.

Scott

Usually when I write a post, the thread moves up. It didn't do it this time so I'm bumping this again.

Scott

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 1467
AUTHOR(S) : Negrete McLeod (Coauthor: Senator Cedillo).
TOPIC : Dentist licensure requirements: Joint Committee on
Boards, Commissions, and Consumer Protection.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 03/22/2004

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Urgency
Non-Appropriations
2/3 Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 03/22/2004
LAST HIST. ACTION : Action rescinded whereby urgency clause was adopted,
bill read third time, passed, and to Assembly. Read
third time and amended. To second reading.
FILE : SEN SECOND READING
FILE DATE : 03/23/2004
ITEM : 3

This is a good news, Iam so excited:thumbup: :) :wow:

Thanks Dentisthusband for this info.
So, for a bill like this what do u think is the time take for the governor to sign it?

In order to ensure that Governor Schwarzenegger is aware of this bill, I suggest that anyone who is interested in the bill's passage write to him and encourage his support.

Here is how to contact him:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633
[email protected]

"To help us keep track of correspondence and to ensure that we are able to respond to California residents, please be sure to include your name and address when you communicate with the Governor's Office. We do not accept e-mail attachments."

Here is one possible format and content for your communication with the Governor:

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

Please sign Assembly Bill 1467 into law. This bill provides that qualified foreign trained Dentists may obtain licensure in California through a rigorous special examination administered by the Dental Board of California. Dentists who obtain their license through this method have most often chosen to practice in areas where there is a substantial underserved population that might not otherwise receive quality dental care. This bill benefits all Californians by ensuring that more citizens will have access to quality dental care. Please sign this bill into law when it is presented to you by the Legislature.

Sincerely,

Adriana Clark

There are probably other ways to say the same thing. Use your own words to seek his support. My one important bit of advice is to spell his name correctly.

Scott

Originally posted by Dentisthusband
My one important bit of advice is to spell his name correctly.

Scott

:) It's a good thing that you mentioned that.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's great news....I hope it will just be another week to put an end to this thread forever....
and above all cheers to dentist husband who always kept our hopes alive in some form or the other....May GOD bless you!!!
take care guys...

hi scott;
thanx for the info ...felt really good .i shall surely send in a email to THE TERMINATOR- ARNOLD.S

Originally posted by dentoGirl
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's great news....I hope it will just be another week to put an end to this thread forever....
and above all cheers to dentist husband who always kept our hopes alive in some form or the other....May GOD bless you!!!
take care guys...

So, after this ordeal has ended and this thread says its final goodby, how are we going to celebrate it??

my letter

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger and his staff:

Thank you for reading my messasge.

I strongly urge you and plead you to sign the Assembly bill 1467 into law.

This bill will ensure California to have qualified, bilingual foreign trained dentists, who are culturally understanding and willing to serve in underserved communities.

This bill will benefit enormously the diverse needs of our state and it will maintain a very vigorous and selective exam system to choose only the most capable dentists of all to practice in California. Many, among foreign dentists, have already started serving the underserved ethnic communities as volunteers or assistants and they witness the need of these Californians, they see the limit of the existing system and they know how much more they can serve these Californians only if the exam allows them to prove their abilities and grants them their deserved licenses.

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger, please sign the Assembly bill 1467 into law. It is all for the best interest of Californians, a healthier, happier California in the future.

thank you

sincerely yours

hi all,
i thinkt tht's an extremly good news for people who have been waiting for a whilw. i hope things can move fastgood luck to all.
bye

Originally posted by meggs
So, after this ordeal has ended and this thread says its final goodby, how are we going to celebrate it??

Meggs, I think we can start a new thread,something which goes like this..... Foreign Trained Dentist-READ THIS----Time has come,Let's celebrate...;) :laugh:

I wish there was some real get together for all our SDN members to celebrate...:cool:

here is the link which shows the amended bill structure AB1467.
especially on page 19,20,21,22.
ftp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1467_bill_20040322_amended_sen.pdf