For those taking the Critical Care Board exam this year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartesos

Medalaganario
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advise is welcome from the ones that have taken it.
I have the seek app that has all new and old seek book questions and the the ACCP board review book.

Will that be enough? Debating attending chest board review this year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike the Pulm boards, I have heard that the ACCP book is not as good for the critical care boards. Some of my non-Pulm ICU colleagues recommend the SCCM board review book. I am also debating attending a board review course. ACCP is in AZ while SCCM is in IL. If anyone has either good or not so good things to say about either, please chime in. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Any advise is welcome from the ones that have taken it.
I have the seek app that has all new and old seek book questions and the the ACCP board review book.

Will that be enough? Debating attending chest board review this year.

The critical care board is much easier than the pulmonary boards. If you had good exposure during fellowship to all types of critical care (MICU, surgical and trauma, heart and cardiovascular, and neuro), and saw all types of disasters (eg., cirrhosis in ICU, heme onc disasters, end stage heart failure, acute MI, etc) ... I think you can actually pass the CCM board without studying.

Having said that, I think SEEK and ACCP board review book and/or board review course will be more than enough to comfortably pass. I didn't do SCCM course so can't comment on it.

But CCM was much easier than pulmonary. (However there was one year where the people who took it looked stunned and confused, stating it was much harder than pulmonary and the questions came out of no where ... But it was before my time)

Plus no more board exams for 7 more years. Taking multiple boards in multiple years suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very reassuring to hear that the CCM exam is no harder than the Pulmonary exam, or even easier. I'm working my way up to faculty in a postdoc research track and would greatly appreciate being able to maintain some research focus in the fall of this year rather than the three or so weeks studying last year for Pulmonary.
SCCM > ACCP review book, thanks for that vote!

That's good to hear, I remember the class ahead of me had some changes in it and they bitches for months about how much harder it was than pulm....until they passed

Any of you "old timers" remember if there was a correlation with inservice scores for Ccm as there was with Pulm board exam?

I just rocked my inservice, and don't want to get cocky.

I'm just using questions. It got me through step 2, step 3, IM boards, and Pulm boards. All passes, and most better than 50%ile score. Step 2 I absolutely destroyed this way.

I tried all of that traditional studying and test prep for step 1, and probably had the lowest relatively score among all of the tests (though of course it's not all strictly directly comparable if you're trying to be overly pedantic)

I'm just using questions. It got me through step 2, step 3, IM boards, and Pulm boards. All passes, and most better than 50%ile score. Step 2 I absolutely destroyed this way.

I tried all of that traditional studying and test prep for step 1, and probably had the lowest relatively score among all of the tests (though of course it's not all strictly directly comparable if you're trying to be overly pedantic)

That's all I've been doing as well, seek questions on my ipad/phone( cheaper than buying the books) and have no intentions of going through that accp book.

Do you know of any other questions out there? I've been running through these ones pretty fast.

That's all I've been doing as well, seek questions on my ipad/phone( cheaper than buying the books) and have no intentions of going through that accp book.

Do you know of any other questions out there? I've been running through these ones pretty fast.

I don't. Exam is in October. I won't start any studying until August.

I don't. Exam is in October. I won't start any studying until August.

You are mi idol if you start by then.
I never think I'm ready enough ( and apparently based on board scores, I've always been).

Going to board review? I'm on the fence there.
Last y Pulm Br sucked balls.

You are mi idol if you start by then.
I never think I'm ready enough ( and apparently based on board scores, I've always been).

Going to board review? I'm on the fence there.
Last y Pulm Br sucked balls.

**** no I'm not going to any money wasting board review. Those things feed off of people paranoias.

Though there may be learning styles that find it helpful. I'm spending my gme money on the exam and going to Chest in LaLa land this year.

**** no I'm not going to any money wasting board review. Those things feed off of people paranoias.

Though there may be learning styles that find it helpful. I'm spending my gme money on the exam and going to Chest in LaLa land this year.

I must go to ats( poster got accepted) don't know if will make chest this year, since I will be junior on my group, but I'll try to run it past them, you never know!

Last y chest in Montreal was great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must go to ats( poster got accepted) don't know if will make chest this year, since I will be junior on my group, but I'll try to run it past them, you never know!

Last y chest in Montreal was great.

Chest is the better clinical meeting I think.

I just don't care about neutrophils and nice anymore. ATS is too "scientific". But that's the one most of the friends go to. So. I might go every other year or something.

I need to make an interventional conference next year. And I'm interested in ILD so will probably continue to go to ransoms around the country. I'm looking at an ILD conference in San Francisco in November. We'll see if I have any money left.

I just don't care about neutrophils and nice anymore. ATS is too "scientific". But that's the one most of the friends go to. So. I might go every other year or something.

I need to make an interventional conference next year. And I'm interested in ILD so will probably continue to go to ransoms around the country. I'm looking at an ILD conference in San Francisco in November. We'll see if I have any money left.

Have you ever done a cryo bx for any ild?
I don't see myself doing it yet, but it sounds promising.

They had and ild conf Birmingham not too long ago, I'm sorry I had to miss it. And they sent me some mail about one in Nyc soon.

In other news, I have a few patients( veterans of course, no one can afford this 9800/month) on ofev and I am not impressed. Longest has been on it for 8 months so far...
I've offered the other choice that is cheaper but 9 pills a day and photosensitivity kind of breaks the deal.

Have you ever done a cryo bx for any ild?
I don't see myself doing it yet, but it sounds promising.

We aren't set up for cryo yet, but I'm very interested. Convincing the hospital it's something to buy, however, is another matter altogether.

They had and ild conf Birmingham not too long ago, I'm sorry I had to miss it. And they sent me some mail about one in Nyc soon.

In other news, I have a few patients( veterans of course, no one can afford this 9800/month) on ofev and I am not impressed. Longest has been on it for 8 months so far...
I've offered the other choice that is cheaper but 9 pills a day and photosensitivity kind of breaks the deal.

For both IPF pills the company will pay for the drugs outright or make up the difference for people that can't afford it.

Patient will have to fill out some paperwork and we all know that is just so hard.

For both IPF pills the company will pay for the drugs outright or make up the difference for people that can't afford it.

Patient will have to fill out some paperwork and we all know that is just so hard.

I tried with a non vet one and he gave up on it. It's a pita.

You could buy pirfenidone online from Canada cheaper than the copay about 1 y ago (don't ask me how I know that ).

I've not had a single pt pay more than $200/month for pirfenidone. And it's on the va formulary supposedly, it's not a cure but it's a damn sight Better than imuran and pred

I've not had a single pt pay more than $200/month for pirfenidone. And it's on the va formulary supposedly, it's not a cure but it's a damn sight Better than imuran and pred

Vets have no issues getting any meds, formulary or not here. I haven't tried any non vets in the last year because my clinic moved to the va exclusively, I'll have a shot come July, God willing.

I'm not impressed with the results I've seen though, not that I was hoping for much.

Vets have no issues getting any meds, formulary or not here. I haven't tried any non vets in the last year because my clinic moved to the va exclusively, I'll have a shot come July, God willing.

I'm not impressed with the results I've seen though, not that I was hoping for much.

Agreed but given how many IPF deaths I've seen past few years, I'm still writing a fair amount of it.

Agreed but given how many IPF deaths I've seen past few years, I'm still writing a fair amount of it.

Treating Ipf is like blowing on a brick wall, at least now we have something promising and more things to come down the pipeline hopefully.

And always the nicest patients, like for real, I think all my Ipf patients on to have my email and cell.

We keep joking that patients prognosis from a disease is inversely proportional to how nice they are.

On an unrelated note, one of my 68 y/o with Ipf got transplanted at mayo( j'ville) and he's doing great!
I was surprised they went for it tbh.

I transferred a nice guy to mayo several months back for transplant eval. I've not heard how he did. I'm guessing not well

Last edited:
Does anyone have a ACCP Critical Care Board Review Book they want to sell me????
Please and thank you!

I took both ACCP Pulmonary and Critical Care board review courses when I certified the first time many years ago. I have been recertified twice since with the 3rd round coming up soon. For both recertifications, I just took the ACCP Pulmonary board review course and bought the CCM syllabus for review. Worked each time, but getting too old for this, not looking forward to recertify again.