For those of you pursuing PT as a second career...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading this thread reminded me of my decision process when I decided to make the leap to becoming a PT. I was scared (all that math! how would I pay my mortgage?) but also exhilarated when I committed myself to the process.

As an older student (I turned 40 two months after I graduated) I realized quickly that I had beaucoup skills to compensate for my lost ability to pull all-nighters.

Fifteen years after graduation, here I am. It was absolutely one of the best decisions of my life.

Best of luck to all of you!

That's awesome!!! Thank you so much for that! :)

And I'm glad to hear everyone's feeling a little better now that we're getting closer!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ever since I took the GRE in June and sent in my applications over PTCAS, I haven't slept more than two hours. I am a pretty calm person, level-headed and collected, and have been on stage and in front of large crowds for the past 10 years, yet I am now more anxious than ever! Every day at work as a PT Aide, I doubt myself being a PT in the future. I doubt every decision I've made to make this my career. Even though my boss told me that he has NEVER seen someone pick up the field so quickly, I doubt that I'm even good enough to make it through school. Even though I was once set to study Biology at a prestigious school on a full-ride, I still don't think I have what it takes to make it through Gross Anat. at the graduate level. This haunts me every night. I told my boss in a rant about this that I think I should study it on my own again, to which he replied "That's what school is for." When the PT at my office quizzes me, I always fail the anatomy. He tells me that I need to know it. I tell him I had to take it online so I could work 40+ hours and that I learned NOTHING. So, in my dreams, I always see myself crying, failing, and being kicked out of school. All of these started during this "waiting" period. Applying Early Decision to UIC was one of the things I'm most proud of (I changed career paths in less than a year!) and yet the very next day I had a panic attack.
Thanks for being cool enough to start this post, I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I know my doubts are natural, I know that I will probably make it through fine. I understand that DPT will be challenging, hard, and daunting. But, what gives me peace is working right now as a PT Aide, and making a difference. I see what works with the PT's I help, I see what doesn't, and I'm learning. Now if only I could remember a few more names of the muscles, I'd be golden!

Now if only I could remember a few more names of the muscles, I'd be golden!

Calm down - you'll do fine.

If you want to be better at memorization (no way around that, in anatomy), get a copy of "Moonwalking with Einstein" and use some of the tricks described in the book. They saved my behind when I took Anatomy this Spring. My undergrad degree was in Engineering, where there is nothing to memorize. I wasn't prepared for the amount of memorization required with Anatomy, and almost flunked out of the class after the first test. The book above helped me get a B+ as a final grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe I start school on Monday and for the record, I am still freaking out (most of the time haha) and wondering if this is the right thing... I think and hope that once I get back into the groove that I'll realize that this was the right decision and that I just have doubts now becuase I've become disconnected with everything after not being in school for a year.

Also, I just bought a book off amazon that my anatomy professor recommended to us and the reviews are literally five stars- everyone loves this book and I've seen on a few websites about how the book helped them through PT school-- so maybe this book will help all of us if you are interested in getting it (I found it for realitively cheap, used) -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965853454 -- Trail Guide to the Body: How to Locate Muscles, Bones and More

I have been on the fence about switching careers to PT. I actually went to Physical Therapy for myself in two situations and talked with one recently about switching. There seems to be pro's and con's, but I'm afraid I dont know if I would truly enjoy the profession. Right now I am an accountant and hate it. Its been 3 years since I graduated. I dont know if I'm trying to escape accounting in any sort of way by trying to go into PT or if PT is right for me. I know that I enjoy working out and teaching people ways to work out with injuring oneself. Any one have advice for me? I know its ultimately my decision, but man is it hard.

I have been on the fence about switching careers to PT. I actually went to Physical Therapy for myself in two situations and talked with one recently about switching. There seems to be pro's and con's, but I'm afraid I dont know if I would truly enjoy the profession. Right now I am an accountant and hate it. Its been 3 years since I graduated. I dont know if I'm trying to escape accounting in any sort of way by trying to go into PT or if PT is right for me. I know that I enjoy working out and teaching people ways to work out with injuring oneself. Any one have advice for me? I know its ultimately my decision, but man is it hard.

My advice would be to shadow a few therapists. Try to get a few different settings in. This will give a better idea of the profession since there is such a variety of settings and your experience of PT could be quite different than where you end up working, should you chose to go through with PT. The road to PT is a long one (unless you happen to have them already, it's about two years' worth of prereqs and then a three year program) and can potentially be quite expensive; you want to make sure you want to do it before you commit.