Follow-up Communications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After your interview day, has anyone gotten any phone calls or follow-up letters from programs yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I have received an e-mail from a program requesting that I do a second look. I have also received some snail mail from a second program. Other than that, no f/u communication from other programs I've interviewed. Some programs were very frank that they would respond to questions, etc. but otherwise they make no contact after interview is over.

:) good luck to everyone.
i finally joined SDN to give my input, since I've been reading these forums for the past few months

Also, is it just me or is OBGYN very competitive this year?

After your interview day, has anyone gotten any phone calls or follow-up letters from programs yet?

Got a follow up email a day or two later from one program thanking me for interviewing with them. And two told us during the interview to be on the look out for correspondence regarding second look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, is it just me or is OBGYN very competitive this year?

It probably is. As medical school enrollment continue to increase without corresponding increases in residency spots, the competition for training positions will only get tougher and tougher. And this trend will probably cut across all specialties, not just OB.

I have also received a few follow-up emails to thank me for interviewing. No personalized correspondance though.

I've recently received emails from 2 schools and one seemed very generic, especially considering it came from the chair who repeatedly mentioned during the interview he does not even know how to turn on a computer. The other seemed pretty personal but no indication of how they will rank me, etc

I have gotten a phone call from one program, and snail mail from a few. But, as mentioned above, most programs specifically told us that we would not be receiving neither calls or e-mails, and that they could help us arrange second looks, but they weren't going to count towards or against our chances of matching there.

I received a letter from one place saying that my interviewers had favorable things to say about me and that they planned to rank me highly. I'm obviously taking it with a grain of salt just because of what I have heard. I liked the place but I am not going to get my hopes up unnecessarily.

I received a letter from one place saying that my interviewers had favorable things to say about me and that they planned to rank me highly. I'm obviously taking it with a grain of salt just because of what I have heard. I liked the place but I am not going to get my hopes up unnecessarily.
Just out of curiosity, what place was that? I haven't received anything from any school that sounded remotely like that...

was wondering if anyone has heard back from the schools that insist they do not contact applicants? (BID, BWH, Cornell, UCSF, Pitt, NW, etc)

was wondering if anyone has heard back from the schools that insist they do not contact applicants? (BID, BWH, Cornell, UCSF, Pitt, NW, etc)

I've concluded that most schools now have an unwritten/unstated policy of never writing back to applicants to prevent being burned. I wrote those ubiquitous "thank you" notes to most schools where I interviewed and 80% or more of them never wrote back. :smuggrin: Oh well, I tried. :xf:

Just out of curiosity, what place was that? I haven't received anything from any school that sounded remotely like that...

I don't think it will be proper to disclose because it might give away the person's identity

Well I had schools who said they would not contact applicants and contacted me. I frowned upon them; they lied to my face. Just roaming...

Well I had schools who said they would not contact applicants and contacted me. I frowned upon them; they lied to my face. Just roaming...

LOL! yea F%#$ING right!!!!!

you were prob felt so special cause you thought "wow i must be so special, they contacted me AFTER they said they wouldnt, i'm def high on their list"

unless the contact was: "dear berger911... you smelled horribly during your interview. good luck in the match."

:D

LOL! yea F%#$ING right!!!!!

you were prob felt so special cause you thought "wow i must be so special, they contacted me AFTER they said they wouldnt, i'm def high on their list"

unless the contact was: "dear berger911... you smelled horribly during your interview. good luck in the match."

:D

absolutely, and i then made them promise me not to rank Conjuctiva.