Post-Interview Communication Ob/Gyn- Input from PDs welcomed please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacobMedical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since most programs have finished up their interview days, I have a few questions that are unclear. Feedback from PDs and current residents are welcomed!

1) Is a letter of intent at your #1 choice seen as an act of sincerity? Would writing letters to your #2, 3, and 4 picks be wise? I've read mixed comments in other specialties and wanted to get other opinions on the subject.

2) How much do thank you letters play a role in ranking? It seems like it has turned into a necessary act that all applicants do because it is a fear of programs are using it when being compared against applicants that did write one rather than an act of formality and sincerity. Any thoughts??

3)For those who have already interviewed, have you received any followup emails or snail-mail of your excellent candidacy, encouragement to have a second look, etc? I have heard in other fields from my classmates where they have received this feedback and wondering if Ob/Gyn follows suit.

Members don't see this ad.

I am very much wondering this as well. Does anyone out there have any input on these questions?

This is from last year, however I would love an answers to question #2

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also curious about what is the norm, but this is what I have heard from a few residents that were former students at my school: a majority of students contact their #1. They also stated that many students contact their #2-3 saying either, "ranking you in the top 3" or "ranking you highly." I personally feel thelatter comment is too ubiquitous to be meaningful. I will probably contact my #1 telling them I am ranking them first, and then also contact my #2-3 telling them they are "in my top 3." If anyone has thoughts on this, I would love to hear them!

1) Is a letter of intent at your #1 choice seen as an act of sincerity? Would writing letters to your #2, 3, and 4 picks be wise? I've read mixed comments in other specialties and wanted to get other opinions on the subject.

I think telling a school they are your #1 has value. One, programs want people who want to be there. A person that got their number 1 choice is more likely to be a happy resident which means less problems for the program. Two, most programs know that most will not tell multiple program they are their #1 because of the potential blow back in your future career if you are caught to have lied.

As to telling programs they are "highly ranked", I don't think that matters at all. I assume most programs know that those kind of emails could have went out to the top 10 schools on someone's ranks list and therefor carry much less weight.

2) How much do thank you letters play a role in ranking? It seems like it has turned into a necessary act that all applicants do because it is a fear of programs are using it when being compared against applicants that did write one rather than an act of formality and sincerity. Any thoughts??

It is a risk/reward type of thing. Probably not getting bumped up anyone's ROL for writing a thank you note, but could be dropped down for not writing one; plus it is just the polite thing to do. If you do write thank you's make sure you include the PC. They are the ones that are doing the lions share of the work setting up the interview day and probably the person most likely to appreciate a sincere thank you note.

3)For those who have already interviewed, have you received any followup emails or snail-mail of your excellent candidacy, encouragement to have a second look, etc? I have heard in other fields from my classmates where they have received this feedback and wondering if Ob/Gyn follows suit.

A couple follow up email's from programs that were middle of the pack programs, none explicitly inviting back for second looks though. The top programs haven't sent a peep or explicitly stated there would be no after interview contact.

Reactions: 1 user
bump! Input on all of these questions, especially #1 - should we send letters to #2, #3, #4 / should we use the words "ranking highly" or "ranking top 3" - would be helpful.

My particular situation - the program I am leaning toward ranking #1 is one where the PD explicitly said that post interview communication would not factor into where applicants ended up on the rank list. She also pretty strongly said that she did not want to receive thank you's. In that case... To send or not to send a #1 love letter?

Hi all -- Not sure why anyone would know this, but in a similar vein, are there any programs that are notorious for having some kind of post interview communication (even though they say they won't)? Just curious, it seems like most places on the interview trail have said that they will not contact us, yet also reference nebulous other programs that will say the same and still contact you haha...