Fluoro: flat panel detector vs image intensifier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarabinerSD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone see a significant advantage with using flat panel detector C-arm vs the old image intensifier unit? Apparently there is an 18k price differential based on what I was quoted, so trying to figure out if the added cost is worth it. The flat panel C-arm has better orbital range and higher resolution, but not sure how this translate to in real life application. I've only used an image intensifier setup, which the only complaint I have is the intensifier unit getting in my face/field of vision with obliquity > 30 degrees to the left. Any advice appreciated...I am not in a big group so don't have unlimited spending budget.

Members don't see this ad.

FPD is a lot better picture usually.

What about the visual field when the panel is oblique towards you? The old image intensifier would block a good chunk of my vision but wondering if FPD is better in this aspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flat panel is fine, seems about half radiation (but more image time) from our last machine. Able to continue using low-dose in even big-patient laterals too. My biggest annoyance is the obnoxiously bright and ginormous crossed green laser.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone see a significant advantage with using flat panel detector C-arm vs the old image intensifier unit? Apparently there is an 18k price differential based on what I was quoted, so trying to figure out if the added cost is worth it. The flat panel C-arm has better orbital range and higher resolution, but not sure how this translate to in real life application. I've only used an image intensifier setup, which the only complaint I have is the intensifier unit getting in my face/field of vision with obliquity > 30 degrees to the left. Any advice appreciated...I am not in a big group so don't have unlimited spending budget.
that price difference seems right - just depends on if you think the image is worth it on a Orthoscan FD C-arm or an old image intensifier unit