Office Fluoro Contrast Billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runfastnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who do in office fluoro - how do you handle billing for contrast?

Our EMR (ModMed) calculates billing meds by mL used and so 1 mL of Omnipaque-300 is billed ~$0.40. Which is wayyy below cost of Omnipaque.

Does everyone just eat the cost of contrast at a loss or am I missing something with how contrast should be billed?
Our billing team wants to bill by 'unit' and argues 1 mL = 300 units of Omnipaque-300 - this seems incorrect at welcoming an audit nightmare.

Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who do in office fluoro - how do you handle billing for contrast?

Our EMR (ModMed) calculates billing meds by mL used and so 1 mL of Omnipaque-300 is billed ~$0.40. Which is wayyy below cost of Omnipaque.

Does everyone just eat the cost of contrast at a loss or am I missing something with how contrast should be billed?
Our billing team wants to bill by 'unit' and argues 1 mL = 300 units of Omnipaque-300 - this seems incorrect at welcoming an audit nightmare.

Any advice appreciated.
Fairly certain billing is per mL and the billing team is wrong. Yes, basically you are eating the cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is by the ml. It doesn’t pay very much but contrast only costs me .14/ml.
Any chance you could share your supplier? PM if needed? We are still struggling getting a consistent supplier with decent price since COVID.

Henry Schein pedspal GPO
Not my idea, it was recommended many years ago on this forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Henry Schein pedspal GPO
Not my idea, it was recommended many years ago on this forum.
I've been with HS pedspal GPO for over 10 years. Pre-pandemic, I was paying about $0.06 per ml for omnipaque 240. There was a big shortage 1-2 year ago to a point I couldn't get it ordered from HS. Then I was able to get a batch at about $0.12 per ml in 50ml plus pak. Now I'm just looking at the price again, notice it's costing about $1 per ml, or $50 per 50ml bottle!

Can you clarify if you are still get the price of $0.14 per ml from HS on these 50ml bottle? I don't really need 50ml bottle, but it's actually the least expensive option.

I've been with HS pedspal GPO for over 10 years. Pre-pandemic, I was paying about $0.06 per ml for omnipaque 240. There was a big shortage 1-2 year ago to a point I couldn't get it ordered from HS. Then I was able to get a batch at about $0.12 per ml in 50ml plus pak. Now I'm just looking at the price again, notice it's costing about $1 per ml, or $50 per 50ml bottle!

Can you clarify if you are still get the price of $0.14 per ml from HS on these 50ml bottle? I don't really need 50ml bottle, but it's actually the least expensive option.
I checked and it is actually even higher. Like .20/ml after tax and shipping. I bought 20 boxes last year and have plenty still.