Florida Schools Application Thread (2008) part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you originally from Orlando, Endee?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone answer this for me...

How come Miami has the busiest Hospital in the nation, yet it's hospital rankings aren't supberb (with the excpetion of Bascom Palmer)? There are plenty of underserved individuals in Miami, yet they aren't even ranked for Primary Care. That is what struck me as most odd about interviewing there.

Emory has the 2nd busiest Hospital in the Nation and is a highly respectable University.

UMiami serves a large patient base from outside the U.S. A large number of patients are from Central America and South America. UMiami is probably a better option for most of the patients from outside the U.S. The rankings of hospitals is not the greatest. For instance, a hospital that was ranked number 2 in peds for years, just exceeded the number 1 (which already had MAGNET status) hospital with plenty of points to spare by receiving MAGNET status*, which is in recognition for nursing excellence. The nurses did not change the way they did their jobs, it was just a matter of jumping through the hoops to get the recogntion. So the hospital didn't get a higher ranking by improving its services, but only by receiving recognition for the quality services it has provided for years.

*http://www.nursecredentialing.org/magnet/

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone please pinch me! I just got the call from USF!!! I'm in!!!! :soexcited:

I still cannot believe it! I think I screamed louder than Mary Murphy when I found out!

Good luck to everyone else!!! :luck:

Someone please pinch me! I just got the call from USF!!! I'm in!!!! :soexcited:

I still cannot believe it! I think I screamed louder than Mary Murphy when I found out!

Good luck to everyone else!!! :luck:

Oh my God! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap::soexcited::clap: Weren't you bumped down to mid waitlist as well? If that's the case, hopefully I'll hear something soon!!

Oh my God! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap::soexcited::clap: Weren't you bumped down to mid waitlist as well? If that's the case, hopefully I'll hear something soon!!

Yep! Hopefully you get the call soon!! I am rooting for you!!! :luck:

Who cares where you go to Undergrad. As long as your GPA is stellar and well above the average Pre-Med's GPA in your school, you have a competitive GPA, and plenty of ECs, you will be competitive yourself. Ofcourse the better the institution, the more resources will be available to you, but I think it's pretty insignifcant. If you're an overachiever and focused on medical school, you will succeed, regardless of which Florida school you went to.

Yeah, yeah UF is the **** in Florida, but when I interviewed up North (Michigan, Pitt) and even in the West (Colorado), the only thing my interviewers and applicants knew about the Gators is that they win Championships. I used to think I was the **** because I went to the best school in Florida but trust me, noone cares and either should you :p I guess this may be a little off-topic, but I'm sure some of you will also be applying OOS. In my interview at Florida there were students from FIU and UNF. I'll be going to UVA in the Fall, and there's also a student from FSU in the class. Don't be discouraged if you don't go to one of the 'elite' schools in Florida. You will be as equally qualified if you have a high GPA and competitive MCAT score.

Very well said

Who cares where you go to Undergrad. As long as your GPA is stellar and well above the average Pre-Med's GPA in your school, you have a competitive GPA, and plenty of ECs, you will be competitive yourself. Ofcourse the better the institution, the more resources will be available to you, but I think it's pretty insignifcant. If you're an overachiever and focused on medical school, you will succeed, regardless of which Florida school you went to.

Yeah, yeah UF is the **** in Florida, but when I interviewed up North (Michigan, Pitt) and even in the West (Colorado), the only thing my interviewers and applicants knew about the Gators is that they win Championships. I used to think I was the **** because I went to the best school in Florida but trust me, noone cares and either should you :p I guess this may be a little off-topic, but I'm sure some of you will also be applying OOS. In my interview at Florida there were students from FIU and UNF. I'll be going to UVA in the Fall, and there's also a student from FSU in the class. Don't be discouraged if you don't go to one of the 'elite' schools in Florida. You will be as equally qualified if you have a high GPA and competitive MCAT score.
Your undergraduate institution DOES play a role in the admissions process, so don't fool yourself into thinking it doesn't matter at all where you went to college; graduating from a school that is known as being more rigorous is frankly more impressive than graduating from one that is known for grade inflation and adcoms tend to take that into consideration. That being said,
I agree with the quoted statement above that if you perform towards the top of your class at virtually any institution (community colleges are an exception) and score well on the MCAT you put yourself in a competitive position regarding medical school admissions, provided the rest of your application is equally as stellar. Interestingly enough, I found the same to be true when applied to residency application as a medical student.

Your undergraduate institution DOES play a role in the admissions process, so don't fool yourself into thinking it doesn't matter at all where you went to college; graduating from a school that is known as being more rigorous is frankly more impressive than graduating from one that is known for grade inflation and adcoms tend to take that into consideration. That being said,
I agree with the quoted statement above that if you perform towards the top of your class at virtually any institution (community colleges are an exception) and score well on the MCAT you put yourself in a competitive position regarding medical school admissions, provided the rest of your application is equally as stellar. Interestingly enough, I found the same to be true when applied to residency application as a medical student.

It does have to play a role, but only to an extent if you're choosing between schools of somewhat equal tier/competitiveness. Obviously a grad from Harvard or MIT is going to be more attractive than one from a 2nd or 3rd tier state university. But deciding between schools of very different calibers should be a "no brainer" for a high schooler/future pre-med. With that said, if you do find yourself in a lower tier school you can find solace that you are still competitive if you perform well on the MCAT (which is a nationally standardized for this very reason), all else being stellar.

Mike- question: for entrance into a competitive residency I've heard that research is a MUST. How much emphasis do you think is given to med students who've performed research versus those who decided to volunteer in health clinics or overseas?

Mike- question: for entrance into a competitive residency I've heard that research is a MUST. How much emphasis do you think is given to med students who've performed research versus those who decided to volunteer in health clinics or overseas?

This is a common question since many premeds and medical students are striving to get into the relatively few coveted "competitive" residency positions. And there's good reason to ask, as I wondered the same thing myself years ago.

The importance of extracurricular activities varies from specialty to specialty. Research is much less important to match into primary care fields (there are exceptions, say if you want to match into a top-tier academic program). Research IS very important if you want to match into a competitive program like dermatology, radiation oncology, plastics, ortho, ENT, etc. Speaking from personal experience, having research under my belt was the difference between me matching into radiation oncology and not. The vast majority, if not everyone, who matches into a field like radiation oncology has research experience (there's a significant number of MD PhDs who apply as well). Keep in mind research can be both clinical or done in the lab. For your purposes, do what I did - get involved in clinical research which involves going through data and finding significant ties somewhere. I worked on my research for probably 4 months during my 4th year of medical school. Going into the lab and doing benchwork takes A LOT of time to get something published or presented, and that's what you need. You essentially didn't do anything if you don't have a final product. If you want to do research, I would just start asking faculty members in your field of interest if they have anything going on that you could help them with that would result in publication.

So, to summarize I'd say research is definitely important for competitive programs. You're trying to make yourself stand out as an applicant and research is really the best way in my mind. Remember most people who are applying for competitive residencies are at or near the top of their classes. Most of the programs have only a few positions available: all of the programs I interviewed at had either 1 or 2 positions. You need to make yourself stand out.

Can you match into something competitive without research? I guess it's possible if your grades and Step scores are incredibly high. But I wouldn't want to go into the match progress without research on my CV knowing I could end up not matching and have to do the match all over again...

This is a common question since many premeds and medical students are striving to get into the relatively few coveted "competitive" residency positions. And there's good reason to ask, as I wondered the same thing myself years ago.

The importance of extracurricular activities varies from specialty to specialty. Research is much less important to match into primary care fields (there are exceptions, say if you want to match into a top-tier academic program). Research IS very important if you want to match into a competitive program like dermatology, radiation oncology, plastics, ortho, ENT, etc. Speaking from personal experience, having research under my belt was the difference between me matching into radiation oncology and not. The vast majority, if not everyone, who matches into a field like radiation oncology has research experience (there's a significant number of MD PhDs who apply as well). Keep in mind research can be both clinical or done in the lab. For your purposes, do what I did - get involved in clinical research which involves going through data and finding significant ties somewhere. I worked on my research for probably 4 months during my 4th year of medical school. Going into the lab and doing benchwork takes A LOT of time to get something published or presented, and that's what you need. You essentially didn't do anything if you don't have a final product. If you want to do research, I would just start asking faculty members in your field of interest if they have anything going on that you could help them with that would result in publication.

So, to summarize I'd say research is definitely important for competitive programs. You're trying to make yourself stand out as an applicant and research is really the best way in my mind. Remember most people who are applying for competitive residencies are at or near the top of their classes. Most of the programs have only a few positions available: all of the programs I interviewed at had either 1 or 2 positions. You need to make yourself stand out.

Can you match into something competitive without research? I guess it's possible if your grades and Step scores are incredibly high. But I wouldn't want to go into the match progress without research on my CV knowing I could end up not matching and have to do the match all over again...

On a related question, the friend of mine at UF is wanting to do rad onco and is doing research this summer--the summer after her first year with a clinical study related to an unrelated to field. So my question is this....if you want to match into some competitive specialty i.e. rads, rad onco, derm, plastics, etc. and you are doing a research project, does it matter whether you are doing research within a different field of medicine or should it be related to the field of medicine you are trying to match into???? I'm just curious cuz I know someone who wants to match into your field and is currently doing some neurosurg related research up at UF.

Has anyone heard anything from Miami lately? I haven't heard of any confirmed movements in a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related question, the friend of mine at UF is wanting to do rad onco and is doing research this summer--the summer after her first year with a clinical study related to an unrelated to field. So my question is this....if you want to match into some competitive specialty i.e. rads, rad onco, derm, plastics, etc. and you are doing a research project, does it matter whether you are doing research within a different field of medicine or should it be related to the field of medicine you are trying to match into???? I'm just curious cuz I know someone who wants to match into your field and is currently doing some neurosurg related research up at UF.

Good question. I was wondering the exact same thing. Also, When is the earliest med students start doing research?

Good question. I was wondering the exact same thing. Also, When is the earliest med students start doing research?

I know that a lot of med students tend to do research in the summer between 1st and second year. Some will make time during 1st and 2nd years like during the year as well. Then there are those who tend to do such in 4th year as well.

If you go to a school like CCLCM, Duke, HMS, Yale, or even UCF with its new initiative, they are trying to incorporate research into the curricula. Duke does all of the basic sci's in 1st year and uses 2nd for clinicals and 3rd for research. HMS and yale both have research components to their program. CCLCM is a 5 year program with one for research though CCLCMER would have to confirm more on that. UCF has it also built into their program sort of through that new elective thing that you have to do each year.

I think for a school like UM and USF there are ways to find time in between to do it if you want. One of my friends starting at USF this year was doing research in a lab at the med school in ugrad and one of the guys there was a 1st year at the time and he still goes in on and off from what I hear. So its possible to make time.

I know someone who was accepted on the 18th.

The thing Agnes told me was that when the waitlist moves to near your name, you'll receive an email ab it and asking if you would still like to remain on the waitlist. Then if it moves down, you'll get a phone call and then an email. Well I guess someone accepted on the 18th means there's still some hope left {sigh}

A short answer to your question is, no you don't have to do research in the field you're applying to. For instance, if you have no idea what you want to go into as a 1st or 2nd year med student, getting involved in anything is better than nothing. Doing research in the field you're applying for definitely helps, but sometimes you don't know what you want to do early on. Friends of mine who matched in rad onc this year had little to no rad onc research, but did previously have papers in other fields.

The summer after 1st year and 4th year are the most common times to do research during med school. It's possible to do research throughout med school, but it takes a special someone to be able to still do well in school and get the research done. It's not worth sacrificing grades for research since grades are one of the primary things that residency program directors use to evaluate applicants.

The summer after 1st year and 4th year are the most common times to do research during med school. It's possible to do research throughout med school, but it takes a special someone to be able to still do well in school and get the research done. It's not worth sacrificing grades for research since grades are one of the primary things that residency program directors use to evaluate applicants.

True good points! I know most of my friends that are in med school either at UF, USF, or UM tend to be doing their research in summer after 1st year for the most part. I think the majority of those who are doing it during school years that I personally know are those going to schools with in built research requirements in their curricula, i.e. people I know at Duke, CCLCM, and other universities like that which adjust their curricula to make room for 1 year for research. But if it is not in built into the curricula it is kind of harder to do during the year.

Mike- Thanks so much for your insights and suggestions. I'm taking your wisdom to heart. The pros definitely outweigh the cons of doing research. I'm going to start hunting for a mentor. Thanks again! On with research!

Mike,

Another random question about residency. When in 4th year and for how long in 4th year do people do research? I'm asking for a friend. Also, the same friend wanted to know how risky radiation oncology is in terms of exposure to raditiation??

Thanks

I am dissapointed the senate failed to pass a bill that would've stopped the Medicare payment cuts scheduled for doctors (implemented today July 1st). This is only going to make physicians see more patients (shorter visits) and perform more unnecessary tests just to maintain a steady income. Furthermore, these actions remove any incentive for physicians to see patients on Medicare (the elderly) anyway.

http://www.acponline.org/clinical_i...acp_internist/weekly/2008/7/1/index.html#cuts

I know not everyone is going to agree- but I'm curious to know how everyone else sees this? If this is a further sign that things are simply getting worse (especially for those in primary care) does it affect your decision to go into medicine?

I heard that Dr. Hinkley has retired as dean of admissions today. :(

Was this planned?!? Is he ok health-wise? Could this be the reason things have been so slow at Miami in terms of admissions?

I am dissapointed the senate failed to pass a bill that would've stopped the Medicare payment cuts scheduled for doctors (implemented today July 1st). This is only going to make physicians see more patients (shorter visits) and perform more unnecessary tests just to maintain a steady income. Furthermore, these actions remove any incentive for physicians to see patients on Medicare (the elderly) anyway.

http://www.acponline.org/clinical_i...acp_internist/weekly/2008/7/1/index.html#cuts

I know not everyone is going to agree- but I'm curious to know how everyone else sees this? If this is a further sign that things are simply getting worse (especially for those in primary care) does it affect your decision to go into medicine?

As a pre-med with two years of experience working in healthcare, I think it is a sad state of affairs. I don't believe it will help the future of medicine in the U.S. in any shape or form.

When I was shadowing in a peds hospital, the oral surgeon told me that the patient was completely covered under Medicaid. The reason I had trouble understanding this was due to the fact that the patient was neither a U.S. citizen nor residing in the U.S. On top of that the patient's mother wanted a cosmetic procedure to be done at no cost. The surgeon said she put her foot down once that came up and refused to do the cosmetic part of the procedure until she had the mother's credit card in hand.

I believe that the burden has grown, especially for primary care docs, and I think that it is a shame. Clearly something has to be done to mend all that is wrong with programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. My passion is within academic medicine (I'm not sure which specialty I want to pursue, but I have pictured myself in family/rural medicine many times....I love the patient interaction it offers). It has taken me many years and alot of life experiences to get to this point. Now, I know I want medicine period. I just can't picture myself happy doing anything else. I may not have the best response to this question, because my view may be a bit romanticized. Then again, maybe that is why some of us choose medicine.

Last edited:

WHAT????????????????????? I'm in shock. I can't believe it. I only met him a few occasions at medical school forums and he was unbelievably friendly and good at what he does. I'm sad to hear that. Do you know the reason why? Like pandulce said, was it health reasons?

Yeah this is an issue to be discussed. The 10% decrease is most likely not enough to make doctors drop their patients (medicare) but I forsee something happening. whether it is useless tests, shorter visits, or the like.... doctors will find someway to make up for the 10%.
Does this affect My decision? nah...

WHAT????????????????????? I'm in shock. I can't believe it. I only met him a few occasions at medical school forums and he was unbelievably friendly and good at what he does. I'm sad to hear that. Do you know the reason why? Like pandulce said, was it health reasons?

I heard he was out for health reasons earlier but dunno if that's why he's retiring. maybe he just found something more entertaining to do than watch us jump through hoops :)

I heard he was out for health reasons earlier but dunno if that's why he's retiring. maybe he just found something more entertaining to do than watch us jump through hoops :)

I have lost my mentor. A great med school dean, admissions professional, and friend. Dr Hinkley projected his departure from our club to me just after the turn of the year. He did have some health maintenance done, but he is fine and looking forward to retirement on his own terms. The only suprise to me was that, unless I misunderstood, he was looking for retirement on August 1. I will miss him, but I am sure that we will remain in touch.

I had to sadly withdraw from UF this morning. I hope this spot goes to somebody soon.

I have lost my mentor. A great med school dean, admissions professional, and friend. Dr Hinkley projected his departure from our club to me just after the turn of the year. He did have some health maintenance done, but he is fine and looking forward to retirement on his own terms. The only suprise to me was that, unless I misunderstood, he was looking for retirement on August 1. I will miss him, but I am sure that we will remain in touch.

Aww he was your mentor? I only met him a few times at these medical college forums. Outside of you and the others I know at USF, he was definitely one of the greatest admissions deans. So many over the years have spoken of him with the highest regards and I got the sense that he was a really good guy and had a great sense of humor and approachability to him.

Seems like everyone is slowly getting to retirement status because just this year a Molecular Medicine Dept professor at USF told me that he and one of his colleagues will be retiring after next year. Both teach the grad students and med students MM block. I'll miss them both since they were 2 of the all time best professors I had throughout the entirety of the past year.

The thing Agnes told me was that when the waitlist moves to near your name, you'll receive an email ab it and asking if you would still like to remain on the waitlist. Then if it moves down, you'll get a phone call and then an email. Well I guess someone accepted on the 18th means there's still some hope left {sigh}

HURRAY!
My boyfriend got that very e-mail this morning, what a great birthday present for me to know that he's close to being accepted!!! Hopefully he'll get the call and second e-mail SOOOOON! :)

I had to sadly withdraw from UF this morning. I hope this spot goes to somebody soon.

Sorry about your choice, it must have been a tough one. Good luck in the rest of your endeavors.

C'mon USF! Show me some love!! :oops:

are there any fourth year usf students here i could pm? just have a few questions abt the program... thanks

hey, i would definitely settle for a second year, thank you very much... i guess my question for you is regarding my situation. I'm trying to decide between USF and Nova, I've looked at the match lists from both schools it seems to me that they are very similar to each other. I guess I would like to know if you have any advice for me that you can speak from your experience at USF. What do you recommend? Again, thank you so much for your help.

hey, i would definitely settle for a second year, thank you very much... i guess my question for you is regarding my situation. I'm trying to decide between USF and Nova, I've looked at the match lists from both schools it seems to me that they are very similar to each other. I guess I would like to know if you have any advice for me that you can speak from your experience at USF. What do you recommend? Again, thank you so much for your help.

Sorry, i know im not the person you asked to answer your question, but i can't help but wonder if there was any compelling reason that you would choose a DO program over an MD (assuming you receive aceptances at both)? I think the general consensus (in most circumstances, assuming all esle equal between the schools) is to go for the MD. As far as match lists, its a known fact that DO programs put you at a slight disadvantage because it becomes a bit harder to pursue some of the more competitve residencies.

Also, if i am not mistaken, isn't Nova more expensive than USF? Maybe you like south FL vs. Tampa? Just trying to figure out why you may be leaning towards Nova given the situation you are in...

I wouldn't choose Nova based on location. Their campus is 5 minutes away from my house and this part of town sucks. Unless you're living in Ft. Lauderdale, which will be a 15 minute drive on the interstate, there isn't much to do around here. I wouldn't even hesitate to make a decision; USF all the way!

Hey everyone in the FL thread. Congrats to everyone getting that much anticipated phone call. I haven't been on in a while ever since starting at FSU. I had like 3 days b/w the acceptance and orientation, so for the past month or two things have been pretty hectic; especially considering anatomy practicals and exams. As of today I'm spending some time with my parents and friends and actually enjoying a hot dog; albeit with cranial nerves floating around in my mind so ominously. My advice to those starting in a month or so is to relish the time you currently have. Seriously, enjoy what may very well be the last few weeks of free time.

Aside from that, all I can say is that yes med school is hard work, but it's also awesome in so many ways. Perhaps when histo comes around I may change my tune, but for now it's pretty darn neat. Have a great fourth everyone, and thanks for all your support over the past year. :)

Dr. Hinkley is retiring in August. He is taking a leave of absence for health reasons and then is returning to help hand-off information to the next Admissions Dean. He will be greatly missed :oops:

Hey everyone in the FL thread. Congrats to everyone getting that much anticipated phone call. I haven't been on in a while ever since starting at FSU. I had like 3 days b/w the acceptance and orientation, so for the past month or two things have been pretty hectic; especially considering anatomy practicals and exams. As of today I'm spending some time with my parents and friends and actually enjoying a hot dog; albeit with cranial nerves floating around in my mind so ominously. My advice to those starting in a month or so is to relish the time you currently have. Seriously, enjoy what may very well be the last few weeks of free time.

Aside from that, all I can say is that yes med school is hard work, but it's also awesome in so many ways. Perhaps when histo comes around I may change my tune, but for now it's pretty darn neat. Have a great fourth everyone, and thanks for all your support over the past year. :)

Hey,
Nice hearing from you again. It has been a while since you posted on SDN. It is kinda scary that you are so busy you have not had any time to go on SDN in a month or two. Hope all is well!

Yo how's it going? Good to hear from a past USF alum. I'm glad to know its been going well with you and that you are liking med school so far. Good luck with everything and hope you had a wonderful 4th of july.

Dr. Hinkley is retiring in August. He is taking a leave of absence for health reasons and then is returning to help hand-off information to the next Admissions Dean. He will be greatly missed :oops:

Thanks for the update. He'll be missed. I'm sad he'll be gone the year I'm applying. Oh well. Hope its going well. you are on rotations now right?? Good luck with that and everything else

My boyfriend was accepted off the waitlist at Miami main campus this morning!!!! So, I guess it's just a couple of days between the e-mail they send confirming your interest in staying on the waitlist and actually getting the call! WOOOOOHOOOOO!

My boyfriend was accepted off the waitlist at Miami main campus this morning!!!! So, I guess it's just a couple of days between the e-mail they send confirming your interest in staying on the waitlist and actually getting the call! WOOOOOHOOOOO!

:claps::claps::claps::claps::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

congratulations!:clap: hopefully it keeps on moving

What lenders are you using for your Federal Stafford loans? I spoke with some people and most use Sallie Mae, and they have no complaints about them.

I look at different banks' website, and I notice they have loan limits. For example, Citibank's loan limit is $20,500. I don't understand this since the amount students are eligible for is significantly higher than this.