Florida Schools Application Thread (2008) part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know anything more about the miami main campus wait list? is it safe to say our chances are pretty much over at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know anything more about the miami main campus wait list? is it safe to say our chances are pretty much over at this point?

That is how I am starting to feel. Evidently there is an email you receive prior to getting the call, and it confirms that you do indeed want to stay on the list. I'm really shocked at how little Miami has seemed to move this year... just my luck :(

Members don't see this ad :)

yah know sometimes i avoid this thread just because reading things like this gets me so down. :(

That is how I am starting to feel. Evidently there is an email you receive prior to getting the call, and it confirms that you do indeed want to stay on the list. I'm really shocked at how little Miami has seemed to move this year... just my luck :(

Well if it makes you feel any better the same can be said for USF. USF has not moved as much as I expected it to this year. Not everyone I know on the high tier waitlist has gotten off of it yet. So its a slow year it seems for admissions waitlist movement. Maybe people are just deciding they like Fl. better or the cost better. Who knows.

Well if it makes you feel any better the same can be said for USF. USF has not moved as much as I expected it to this year. Not everyone I know on the high tier waitlist has gotten off of it yet. So its a slow year it seems for admissions waitlist movement. Maybe people are just deciding they like Fl. better or the cost better. Who knows.

?

Didn't Nickgov get in to USF and he was bumped down to mid-tier after being in the high tier? Or maybe I'm just confused?

Yeah, here's his post: Link

And don't lose all hope just yet, guys.

Miami's waitlist just moved earlier this week (or late last?). It may not be much, but its something. And this has the potential to affect those on the UF and USF waitlists. Let's not all be gloom and doom until fall classes actually start.

I also called USF earlier this week and they told me the big take away message is that the waitlist is still moving, slow and late though it may be. It's not moving everyday, but they insisted (and to me seemed a bit surprised given the slowness of the movement) that it was moving constantly in spurts.

?

Didn't Nickgov get in to USF and he was bumped down to mid-tier after being in the high tier? Or maybe I'm just confused?

Yeah, here's his post: Link

I think you are confused. SillyMeMD and a few others in the masters programs were all high tier and have not gotten in yet or told they were bumped down. So my guess is though they gota lot of you guys off of it, it still has not gotten through the entire high tier waitlist.

They haven't even gotten to the mid tier this year. Maybe it was the other way around and Nickgov was bumped up from mid tier to high tier not the other way around because they have not gotten through every individual on high tier from my understanding.

There will probably be one more spot open at USF because I got into Stony Brook!!! I was not expecting this at all. I am going to use the weekend to think about it, but I am almost 100% decided on it. I hope one of you gets my spot!

There will probably be one more spot open at USF because I got into Stony Brook!!! I was not expecting this at all. I am going to use the weekend to think about it, but I am almost 100% decided on it. I hope one of you gets my spot!

Wow congratulations!!! I know someone else who interviewed there but they didn't get in. THey were floridian too. :). They spoke good about the school though. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

any usf students that can talk abt how rotations can be done during MSIII and MSIV? do some of them have to be done at Tampa General or can you complete some or all of them at other hospitals?

any usf students that can talk abt how rotations can be done during MSIII and MSIV? do some of them have to be done at Tampa General or can you complete some or all of them at other hospitals?

you can complete rotations at TGH, James Haley VA, Bay Pines, and Moffitt. While you can certainly favor one place and do most of your rotations there, I would expect to spend some time at all of those locations - especially TGH.

I think you are confused. SillyMeMD and a few others in the masters programs were all high tier and have not gotten in yet or told they were bumped down. So my guess is though they gota lot of you guys off of it, it still has not gotten through the entire high tier waitlist.

They haven't even gotten to the mid tier this year. Maybe it was the other way around and Nickgov was bumped up from mid tier to high tier not the other way around because they have not gotten through every individual on high tier from my understanding.

I think that they may have gotten down to mid-tier. I know of two people now who were bumped down from high-tier that have gotten in so they might be pulling people from the top part of the mid-tier. Don't quote me on that though. It's hard to tell because they're being quiet about the waitlist in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
I officially accepted the offer from Stony Brook today. Good luck to everyone on the USF waitlist!!!

I officially accepted the offer from Stony Brook today. Good luck to everyone on the USF waitlist!!!

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! And thanks for opening up another spot at USF :D Good luck to you!

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! And thanks for opening up another spot at USF :D Good luck to you!

Nickgov got off the alternate list at UF or so he posted in that thread. Judging from his post it looks like he's dropping a spot at USF as well. So looks like there is still hope for some of you.

I think that they may have gotten down to mid-tier. I know of two people now who were bumped down from high-tier that have gotten in so they might be pulling people from the top part of the mid-tier. Don't quote me on that though. It's hard to tell because they're being quiet about the waitlist in general.

Yeah. But at least 2 spots opened up. Like I said above, Nickgov also is dropping a seat at USF. So maybe there is still hope out there.

Hey everyone - Sorry for the confusion. I was told following my interview that I was on the bottom part of the top tier waitlist but I should hear back soon (this was in April). Therefore, after getting the e-mail that I wouldn't hear back until the end of June I assumed that I was bumped down.

I may still have been in the top tier and the reason for not hearing sooner was the slow movement of the waitlist and NOT the fact that I was bumped.

As gujuDoc pointed out, UF sprung an acceptance on me last week and I have been debating where to go - I finally made my decision and USF it is for me!! In the end, I just went with my gut feeling and I could not be happier.

Sorry again and good luck to everyone else waiting!

Hey everyone - Sorry for the confusion. I was told following my interview that I was on the bottom part of the top tier waitlist but I should hear back soon (this was in April). Therefore, after getting the e-mail that I wouldn't hear back until the end of June I assumed that I was bumped down.

I may still have been in the top tier and the reason for not hearing sooner was the slow movement of the waitlist and NOT the fact that I was bumped.

As gujuDoc pointed out, UF sprung an acceptance on me last week and I have been debating where to go - I finally made my decision and USF it is for me!! In the end, I just went with my gut feeling and I could not be happier.

Good luck at USF! Hopefully UF will make some more calls this week.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I thought since you were asking about housing that you were considering UF. Good luck at USF.

D-Bone, hopefully you'll get that spot and it will be your turn next. ;)

you can complete rotations at TGH, James Haley VA, Bay Pines, and Moffitt. While you can certainly favor one place and do most of your rotations there, I would expect to spend some time at all of those locations - especially TGH.

what abt away rotations? how many months or rotations can u do in another location that is not affiliated w/ usf?

anyone heard anything about the miami main campus waitlist lately?

Does anyone know if Robyn Sheppard is still with UF's Addmissions Office? I heard a rumor that she may be gone. She's also not listed on the Contact Us section on the admissions page. Anyone else know what's up?

Does anyone know if Robyn Sheppard is still with UF's Addmissions Office? I heard a rumor that she may be gone. She's also not listed on the Contact Us section on the admissions page. Anyone else know what's up?

We received an email from her address ([email protected]) on JUNE 18th about orientation materials. However, it was signed by Denise Chichester and not Robyn.

It seems like the majority of the FL schools, if not all, have had turnover in their admissions office. Maybe that could explain some of the slow movement as well. This has been an odd year.

It seems like the majority of the FL schools, if not all, have had turnover in their admissions office. Maybe that could explain some of the slow movement as well. This has been an odd year.

I seriously doubt turnover in admissions offices plays any role in how much waitlists move.

There has been major change in virtually all COM Admissions Offices over the last 12 months, to include Dr Hinkley's official retirement on August 1. That means that each program is going through a phase to restructure and replace. That has been a small factor on the slowness to respond for some programs this year.

Thanks! It was just a thought. :)

USF wants me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::banana::banana::biglove::biglove: I can't believe it!!!!!!!!:D

USF wants me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::banana::banana::biglove::biglove: I can't believe it!!!!!!!!:D

Woooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

SillyMe, we should meet up sometime next week and celebrate. i'm actually moving back home but going to be up in Tampa 2x a week for things I got going around here. Yay. I'm excited for u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it would happen and that it was just a matter of time.

Thanks guys!!!:D I'm actually studying for my last final, which is tomorrow morning. Talk about perfect timing. So USF is officially in the middle of the waitlist. Good luck to those of you still waiting.:luck:

congratulations sillymeMD! Good luck with USF and thanks for the wishes.

Congrats SillyMeMD!!:) I can't even imagine what it feels like to be accepted after going through the lengthy application process. Best of luck!

It feels great! :D You guys are awesome. I hope everything works out for everybody and good luck!

It feels great! :D You guys are awesome. I hope everything works out for everybody and good luck!

I have to say, I have never been more excited for someone that I do not know! Congratulations!!!!

I have to say, I have never been more excited for someone that I do not know! Congratulations!!!!

Aw thanks :D The funny thing is that I signed up for the MCAT 2 weeks ago (for the 4th time :eek:) and I was going to submit my AMCAS yesterday. Now I can donate my MCAT books to the UCF Pre-Health Professions Office :laugh: So hopefully somebody else will benefit from them.

Congrats SillyMeMD, enjoy the last two weeks of summer. I look forward to seeing you and all of our other classmates in a few weeks :)

Aw thanks :D The funny thing is that I signed up for the MCAT 2 weeks ago (for the 4th time :eek:) and I was going to submit my AMCAS yesterday. Now I can donate my MCAT books to the UCF Pre-Health Professions Office :laugh: So hopefully somebody else will benefit from them.

Congratulations SillyMeMD!!!! Looking forward to having you at USF in the fall! :D

Congrats!! I also don't think I've been this excited for someone I don't know lol. Look forward to meeting u! If u have any q's about USF stuff I could try to help :)

USF COM c/o 2012!!!

Okay, this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways.
I want to apply to med schools in Florida (live in Alaska and want to go somewhere WARM and with beaches - dirty and crowded or not). Is there somewhere to find a list of all of the med schools in FL? I know there is a book with all Med schools and reviews of them in it somewhere but I don't remember what it is called... I did a search online and found a site that listed these:
University of Florida College of medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Miami College of Medicine
Florida State University College of Medicine

Are there more than that? It seems like there should be...

I want to apply to med schools in Florida (live in Alaska and want to go somewhere WARM and with beaches - dirty and crowded or not). Is there somewhere to find a list of all of the med schools in FL? I know there is a book with all Med schools and reviews of them in it somewhere but I don't remember what it is called... I did a search online and found a site that listed these:

Florida International University School of Medicine
Univeristy of Central Florida School of Medicine

Both schools first class is in 2009 (this year's application cycle).

Like Greg said, FIU, and UCF. UCF is the 0 dollar school if u get in this year. Its a full ride to the first graduating class.