Florida Schools Application Thread (2008) part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well he was just stating what he thought was the case. I guess you could say that is news to all of us. Because this is the first we know of this, and he was just expressing his lost hope at the fact that it seems that there is't as much movement as he was hoping. :)

if both of you are on the list, then I wish you the best of luck.

lol, thanks gujudoc. no need to argue ab what i posted, just putting it out there, ppl take it however they want. not everyone knows what everyone else knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just got into UF today! Totally wasn't expecting this, considering i sent zero updates to them! Im really really torn between UF and Miami...

just got into UF today! Totally wasn't expecting this, considering i sent zero updates to them! Im really really torn between UF and Miami...

Congrats! Let us know which school you choose. There's a bunch of us still waiting to hear from either program. How long did they give you to decide and who called you?

Congrats again! Nice to have choices to make.

Members don't see this ad :)

I may be a little biased but UF will save you some considerable cash in the future that can be used for better things when you're out of school. You'll be saving about ~$10k a year at UF just in tuition (not including living expenses which can be higher in Miami (and trust me, you don't want to live in a Miami slum... so you'll have to spend some cash on rent if you're going to live there). That's about ~$40k+ after four years (excluding the money you'd save in living expenses!). I'll let a smarter individual than myself tell you how much money that amounts to when you calculate interest rates over your payback period. The money you'd save could be put towards a house, or your family, or _____________.

Sources:
http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/tuition/index_html
http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/finaid/budget/0708/1md0708.pdf

But, hey, go with your gut. If you have family in Miami it may be worth going there. Maybe you should take a drive to Gainesville & Miami to check them out again before you make a decision. :luck:

Congrats! Let us know which school you choose. There's a bunch of us still waiting to hear from either program. How long did they give you to decide and who called you?

Congrats again! Nice to have choices to make.

Denise from the admissions office called me and she said two weeks :confused:...anyone with advice on either/both programs, it would be greatly appreciated.

And to D-Bone and others waiting at UF/Miami...ill be freeing up a spot at one of those very soon so hopefully thats helps you all..

I may be a little biased but UF will save you some considerable cash in the future that can be used for better things when you're out of school. You'll be saving about ~$10k a year at UF just in tuition (not including living expenses which can be higher in Miami (and trust me, you don't want to live in a Miami slum... so you'll have to spend some cash on rent if you're going to live there). That's about ~$40k+ after four years (excluding the money you'd save in living expenses!). I'll let a smarter individual than myself tell you how much money that amounts to when you calculate interest rates over your payback period. The money you'd save could be put towards a house, or your family, or _____________.

Sources:

But, hey, go with your gut. If you have family in Miami it may be worth going there. Maybe you should take a drive to Gainesville & Miami to check them out again before you make a decision. :luck:

hey UFMed, thanks for the info, but i actually checked the UFCOM financial aid website and the anticipated tuition expense for 08-09 is 26,438 (which is a five thousand dollar increase from the year before!) and Miami is $ 30,000/yr, so the difference would only be about 3500/yr or 14000 in total over 4 yrs. Of course living expenses are another story, but tuition-wise, im suprised that there isnt much benefit to choosing our good ole state school over private UM (for FL residents at least)

Sources:

Financially, going to UF is definitely a better decision. As discussed over and over on this forum, there are significant differences between the two curriculums which you should pay attention to. If you search this thread, you will find several discussions contrasting the florida schools. Best of luck and congrats on the acceptances.

Congrats on the acceptances!! For those deciding which school to attend....I am sure you will be quite happy with your choices. Good luck to everyone else!

hey UFMed, thanks for the info, but i actually checked the UFCOM financial aid website and the anticipated tuition expense for 08-09 is 26,438 (which is a five thousand dollar increase from the year before!) and Miami is $ 30,000/yr, so the difference would only be about 3500/yr or 14000 in total over 4 yrs. Of course living expenses are another story, but tuition-wise, im suprised that there isnt much benefit to choosing our good ole state school over private UM (for FL residents at least)

Yeah i just found out about the price increase- it's depressing. When they sent us the budget a few weeks ago the price was closer to $21k... now $26k! Insane. Thank the budget cuts! :rolleyes:
So... I think everyone should've gone to FSU! $18k is what their paying.

Well, are you a city person or a small town person? The environments are polar opposites... Where do you see yourself studying better?

Have you thought about taking a trip to each city to help your decision? Maybe you should visit both places to get a new feel. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing we're still going through the high tier part, yes?

Yeah seems like it. Since I know there are still people on here who are high tier and not accepted.
Usually they get down into some mid tier candidates. This year has been a strange year.

Yeah, I was top 1/3 waitlisted and got the end of June e-mail. They were right on with what the told me...when I called to ask last week they said I was "really really high up" so if you call, they're pretty honest about it. YAY USF c/o 2012 soooo excited!!! :) :) :) :) :)

so why is looking at a matchlist a bad idea to judge a school? can u make the same argument when judging between an allopathic and osteopathic school?

so why is looking at a matchlist a bad idea to judge a school? can u make the same argument when judging between an allopathic and osteopathic school?

It's generally a bad idea because the match lists change along with the dynamics of the class. The quality of rotations also plays an important role in determining where students want to match into. Others may be influenced by external factors; many with families have limited choices with respect to teaching hospitals, while others want to go to particular cities. FSU has a different mission entirely, training PCP's and rural docs, and that may play a factor. With Florida match lists, there doesn't appear to be a tremendous disparity between allopathic schools.

In my opinion, I think it is okay to look at match lists when judging allopathic and osteopathic schools (I don't know the details of matching as a DO though). The ease of obtaining specialities differs between the two programs, and looking at such lists would help you determine which programs provide better opportunities for matching in areas of medicine and locations more efficiently. But on the flip side, the match lists in osteopathic schools depend on the mission the school holds (i.e., is there a goal of the school to train PCP's, etc.?) and the same factors as students in allopathic schools.

Hey everyone! I had a question on residencys. I was doing some research online and read some where that the competetive residencies offered by the top notch schools tend to not accept medical students from state schools (they accept more students who gradauted from a private medical school instead). Does anyone know the validity of this? Thanks is advance:)

I ... read some where that the competitive residencies offered by the top notch schools tend to not accept medical students from state schools (they accept more students who graduated from a private medical school instead). Does anyone know the validity of this? Thanks is advance:)
Why do people always ask this? If you got accepted at Harvard, go to Harvard. This is kind of a no-brainer.

Hey everyone! I had a question on residencys. I was doing some research online and read some where that the competetive residencies offered by the top notch schools tend to not accept medical students from state schools (they accept more students who gradauted from a private medical school instead). Does anyone know the validity of this? Thanks is advance:)

Please note that UCSF, UCLA, U of Wisc, U of Wash, U of Mich are all public schools and are all better than most of the medical schools in the country including many of the Ivys and other "private" schools.

Residency acceptance is primarily based on personal performance.

Why do people always ask this? If you got accepted at Harvard, go to Harvard. This is kind of a no-brainer.

I was not nessesarily talking abt that scenerio. Obviously if I got into a school like Harvard I would go there is a heartbeat. But I was talking more along the lines of UM vs. USF/FSU/UF...

It's generally a bad idea because the match lists change along with the dynamics of the class. The quality of rotations also plays an important role in determining where students want to match into. Others may be influenced by external factors; many with families have limited choices with respect to teaching hospitals, while others want to go to particular cities. FSU has a different mission entirely, training PCP's and rural docs, and that may play a factor. With Florida match lists, there doesn't appear to be a tremendous disparity between allopathic schools.

In my opinion, I think it is okay to look at match lists when judging allopathic and osteopathic schools (I don't know the details of matching as a DO though). The ease of obtaining specialities differs between the two programs, and looking at such lists would help you determine which programs provide better opportunities for matching in areas of medicine and locations more efficiently. But on the flip side, the match lists in osteopathic schools depend on the mission the school holds (i.e., is there a goal of the school to train PCP's, etc.?) and the same factors as students in allopathic schools.

I pretty much agree with most of what Dendrite said. First and foremost, its as simpe as this. you might have a lot of people match in fields like IM who might have good scores on the boards that could get them into derm and what not but it doesn't say anything about them. It might be that they are going into IM to do cardiology, GI, Infectious Diseases, Pulmonology, medical oncology rather then radiation oncology, etc. Some of the above fields are competitive as far as getting fellowships goes. For others, it might be the way they function better i.e. thinker vs. doer. We really don't know what has caused people to choose one field over another i.e. what their board scores were, what their circumstances were, what their interests were. We also don't know much about how different programs are ranked or what might make one a better fit then another for a given person.

I could argue the same with DO vs. MD as we don't know if DO students choose DO residency programs over MD becaue they couldn't get an allopathic residency vs. whether they wanted an allopathic residency.

I think its too subjective and we don't have all the facts, and without that it is not a judge of anything.

No truth to this statement at all. If you rock the boards, get AOA, and have publications, you can write your ticket to anywhere in the country---regardless of where you go to medical school.

About Match lists: they are informative, but you have to know what to look for. Deciding to go to a school based upon the number of students who match into plastics or neurosurgery is a bad idea because---as one person mentioned above---the tastes of the class change from year to year. You can, however, look to see where students are going---regional locations, top tier programs, home institution---and you can look at the overall competitiveness of the specialties. Lots of primary care matches are an indication that the school pushes students into that route.

I was not nessesarily talking abt that scenerio. Obviously if I got into a school like Harvard I would go there is a heartbeat. But I was talking more along the lines of UM vs. USF/FSU/UF...

I haven't seen any evidence of UM grads gaining a disproportionate amount of ultra-competitive residency spots relative to USF, UF, FSU or other state schools.

No truth to this statement at all. If you rock the boards, get AOA, and have publications, you can write your ticket to anywhere in the country---regardless of where you go to medical school.

About Match lists: they are informative, but you have to know what to look for. Deciding to go to a school based upon the number of students who match into plastics or neurosurgery is a bad idea because---as one person mentioned above---the tastes of the class change from year to year. You can, however, look to see where students are going---regional locations, top tier programs, home institution---and you can look at the overall competitiveness of the specialties. Lots of primary care matches are an indication that the school pushes students into that route.

Agreed :thumbup:

congrats to all of you getting into florida schools:) i am applying this year (2008-2009 cycle) and am attending fsu right now. took the mcat on May 31st, get scores in two weeks. assuming i make a sub-par 30 or like a 31 and with my gpas (on my mdapps), should i even try to apply at uf? i hear they are getting more and more competitive. im also applying to ucf and fiu as well but both of those are long shots considering they are only accepting around 40 students. again congrats on all acceptances and waitlists

congrats to all of you getting into florida schools:) i am applying this year (2008-2009 cycle) and am attending fsu right now. took the mcat on May 31st, get scores in two weeks. assuming i make a sub-par 30 or like a 31 and with my gpas (on my mdapps), should i even try to apply at uf? i hear they are getting more and more competitive. im also applying to ucf and fiu as well but both of those are long shots considering they are only accepting around 40 students. again congrats on all acceptances and waitlists

There's no reason why you shouldn't apply to UF. Or to any of the other FL schools for that matter.

Right on. Perhaps the most helpful thing would be to know the % of students who get their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. choice on their rank list, but this type of information isn't compiled unfortunately.

It does not cost very much to apply, you should apply to all the schools in florida including ucf and fiu. While they may only except 40 students each, that is 80 combined spots that are available this cycle that were not last cycle. Best of luck!

Right on. Perhaps the most helpful thing would be to know the % of students who get their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. choice on their rank list, but this type of information isn't compiled unfortunately.

Which was the point that I was trying to make. Unless we can get this kind of information and board averages etc. there is no way to gauge useful information about the match lists. That's the sad part. I understand why they don't tell that information but wish they did.

:)Just got a call from Denise!!!!:)I am in UF!!! Best of luck to all who are still waiting!!! There is definitely a hope! You have to believe in yourself and your success!!!:luck:

i had a gpa identical to yours when i applied and i igot an interview call at uf. its not a bad gpa at all.. (my mcat was 31 in case you wanted to know) just make sure you apply early! good luck

:)Just got a call from Denise!!!!:)I am in UF!!! Best of luck to all who are still waiting!!! There is definitely a hope! You have to believe in yourself and your success!!!:luck:

wow congradulations! I talked to her last Friday and she said the list would be moving by 4 or 5 people this week, so I guess you were one. Of course this is the one day I don't bring my phone to work so I hopefully I'll have a message when I get home.

i had a gpa identical to yours when i applied and i igot an interview call at uf. its not a bad gpa at all.. (my mcat was 31 in case you wanted to know) just make sure you apply early! good luck

good job on getting a call. on the msar, it said that uf had both bcpm and overall gpas of 3.8 and i think their average mcat is 31.5. those stats are getting high! but anything is possible right? i am sending in primaries after school ends this week

good job on getting a call. on the msar, it said that uf had both bcpm and overall gpas of 3.8 and i think their average mcat is 31.5. those stats are getting high! but anything is possible right? i am sending in primaries after school ends this week

Wow. Those stats are high!! I remember discussion on MSAR that it list the median stats for accepted applicants (not necessarily matriculant stats). Your stats are great too. You can't lose applying to your state school. Just nail your MCAT. Good luck!!

Is there a new msar out right now(not the purple one)?

That information would not be helpful as most applicants will list their home institution among the top 3 choices. Most people can get accepted to their home institution---which is why every medical school I interviewed at boasted that 98% of their students got one of their top three choices.

Got a call from Denise this morning that I was accepted! I think I will be attending Wake Forest, but if anybody has any suggestions about choosing one school over the other, it would be really helpful.
I am not a Florida resident, and the post somebody made yesterday about the tuition increase at UF is concerning. What will UF's tuition be next year?
I really loved UF during my visit but was not super crazy about Gainesville from what I saw.
One thing that was really appealing about UF was the high board score average. Does anybody have an opinion whether this is the result of a great curriculum that teaches towards the boards, or just naturally smart students? I feel like one of the main reasons I would be choosing UF is becase of board scores and I have always been told that is a bad idea. I know I sound lame for saying that, but it is definitely something in the back of my head so I'm just being honest.
Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Got a call from Denise this morning that I was accepted! I think I will be attending Wake Forest, but if anybody has any suggestions about choosing one school over the other, it would be really helpful.
I am not a Florida resident, and the post somebody made yesterday about the tuition increase at UF is concerning. What will UF's tuition be next year?
I really loved UF during my visit but was not super crazy about Gainesville from what I saw.
One thing that was really appealing about UF was the high board score average. Does anybody have an opinion whether this is the result of a great curriculum that teaches towards the boards, or just naturally smart students? I feel like one of the main reasons I would be choosing UF is becase of board scores and I have always been told that is a bad idea. I know I sound lame for saying that, but it is definitely something in the back of my head so I'm just being honest.
Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

UF has an intense curriculum. From what I heard speaking with med students, their exams take place usually at one time; for example, for the first "semester" of courses, you take sessions of exams that last for about 6 hours encompassing all those courses. They also take place in CBT format that mirror the Step 1. So from the beginning, you train for the format of the exam, the style of questions, and the endurance. They also focus quite heavily on the basic science curriculum the first two years, which is what the Step 1 is based on. IMO, you're not going to find such a curriculum in many other places. Their board scores are also among the best too in terms of their averages, which has a lot to do with their training because other schools in the country tend to accept schools with even higher MCAT scores and GPA; UF still tends to do better than many of those schools. So, in a sense, they do teach towards the boards.

That being said, I wouldn't base your decision solely on these averages. There should be many other factors that you consider - curriculum, location, research opportunities, tuition, clinical experiences etc.

Gainesville is the quintessential collegetown, but you have to ask yourself, as a medical student, would you really take advantage of the city atmosphere? It really is a great atmosphere to concentrate, and even better if you're a football/basketball fan. It isn't as though you only spend time in Gainesville either; during your preceptorships, you have the opportunity of going to a number of locations in north/central FL. I met one student that did his in the panhandle, in a location that was a few hours from New Orleans. You also do rotations in Shands at Jacksonville; med students have a lot of responsibility here, more so than in other schools. Their proton beam facilities are also cutting-edge in radiation oncology.

As an OOS student, you pay OOS tuition the first year. But you can then apply for state residency, and pay IS tuition the next three years - the staff is very helpful in making this happen. The tuition tends to decrease slightly each year as you go from the 1st to 4th year, but this also is influenced on tuition increases set by the state and board of trustees of UF. I know Wake is private, so in the end, you will be saving money in Gainesville.

Good luck in making your decision! You really can't go wrong.

As an OOS student, you pay OOS tuition the first year. But you can then apply for state residency, and pay IS tuition the next three years -

As far as I know, that's not how state residency works.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

2. Every applicant for admission to an institution of higher education shall be required to make a statement as to his or her length of residence in the state and, further, shall establish that his or her presence or, if the applicant is a dependent child, the presence of his or her parent or parents in the state currently is, and during the requisite 12-month qualifying period was, for the purpose of maintaining a bona fide domicile, rather than for the purpose of maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education.

That might be a little difficult to prove if one simply moved to the State upon acceptance.

That might be a little difficult to prove if one simply moved to the State upon acceptance.

yeah the only way to really do it is if you have a relative that has lived in Florida for quite a while and you start to use that as your permanent residence.

2. Every applicant for admission to an institution of higher education shall be required to make a statement as to his or her length of residence in the state and, further, shall establish that his or her presence or, if the applicant is a dependent child, the presence of his or her parent or parents in the state currently is, and during the requisite 12-month qualifying period was, for the purpose of maintaining a bona fide domicile, rather than for the purpose of maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education.

I can only tell you what I heard during the interview day at UF. But the provision you pulled up deals with admission. If you are accepted as an OOS, the following year of attendance has nothing to do with readmission, but rather a tuition adjustment.

Establishing residency in FL after a 12-month period does require that you fulfill certain criteria within the state, while relinquishing ties to the state you previously maintained residence in. Doing so would require that you are also an independent. Submitting such qualifying documents to the registrar would allow for you to pay IS tuition.

I found this link that may prove helpful:

http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/students/faqs-residency.html

It is possible, and many others have done so, which I imagine is more manageable as a professional student rather than an undergrad. I'm sure the COM has more information than I can provide as a FL resident that doesn't have to deal with the paperwork.

My boyfriend spoke with UM today - there was "very little" movement yesterday, however, there is apparently much more to come! So that's definitely good news :)

My boyfriend spoke with UM today - there was "very little" movement yesterday, however, there is apparently much more to come! So that's definitely good news :)

hey, sorry for the question but how do you know there is much more to come ??

thanks

hey, sorry for the question but how do you know there is much more to come ??

thanks

Because that is what the admissions office told him when he called today :)

Still have my fingers crossed!

Anybody hear from USF lately? I only got the e-mail about the slow movement.