Florida Law Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellenew

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the FL Psychology Law Exam in the last year? I’m taking it soon and wanted to see how else to prepare besides reading through the 274-page document. I’m not sure how to study for it at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

I took it a few years ago and just prepped by reading the document.

I took it a few years ago and just prepped by reading the document.
I’m reading it now but it’s so incredible dense and repetitive. I’ve checked to see if there are just copy/paste errors because some sections are almost word for word the same.

I can’t figure out how to study for it when I’m not even sure what I’m looking for at this point. Are they straightforward or do I need to try to memorize specific definitions and timelines?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psydr jurisprudence study guide:

1) review the provided materials.
2) pay special attention to mandated reporting stuff, record keeping, not sleeping with patients, and not doing fraud stuff. Since it’s Florida probably add in some stuff about meth and alligators and hurricanes.
3) remember that these tests are being scored and created by government bureaucrats. Overthinking things is not recommended here.
4) now go do something to make yourself a lot dumber. Watch something like King of Queens. Drink some sugary well drinks late into the night. Bang your head against a wall.
5) That's kinda it.

I’m reading it now but it’s so incredible dense and repetitive. I’ve checked to see if there are just copy/paste errors because some sections are almost word for word the same.

I can’t figure out how to study for it when I’m not even sure what I’m looking for at this point. Are they straightforward or do I need to try to memorize specific definitions and timelines?

They're pretty straight forward. PsyDr's suggestions are helpful in terms of what to focus on. Mandated reporting and medicare fraud were on the exam that I took, IIRC.

I can't exactly remember, but I think someone might have made online flashcards that you can find by Googling.

Psydr jurisprudence study guide:

1) review the provided materials.
2) pay special attention to mandated reporting stuff, record keeping, not sleeping with patients, and not doing fraud stuff. Since it’s Florida probably add in some stuff about meth and alligators and hurricanes.
3) remember that these tests are being scored and created by government bureaucrats. Overthinking things is not recommended here.
4) now go do something to make yourself a lot dumber. Watch something like King of Queens. Drink some sugary well drinks late into the night. Bang your head against a wall.
5) That's kinda it.
Your comment made me LOL
The things you mentioned make sense to know. The HUGE sections on involuntary outpatient and inpatient care and timelines for those evaluations and documentation are intense. I just don’t know how much I actually need to know. Studying for the EPPP was arguably easier!

Your comment made me LOL
The things you mentioned make sense to know. The HUGE sections on involuntary outpatient and inpatient care and timelines for those evaluations and documentation are intense. I just don’t know how much I actually need to know. Studying for the EPPP was arguably easier!

I kid, but this really is an easy test. It’s strange that one of the easier tests comes directly after one of the supposedly more difficult tests. Throws people off.

Definitely throwing me off. I’m almost through the document but I feel like I don’t really know anything from reading it LOL. Other than basic ethics and memorizing things about CEs, license renewals, and board composition I don’t know. I’m hoping questions aren’t straightforward and aren’t convoluted like many on the EPPP.

Definitely throwing me off. I’m almost through the document but I feel like I don’t really know anything from reading it LOL. Other than basic ethics and memorizing things about CEs, license renewals, and board composition I don’t know. I’m hoping questions aren’t straightforward and aren’t convoluted like many on the EPPP.

The questions are VERY straightforward, by design. The test’s purpose is to prove that psychologists know the law. Once proven, the state can absolve itself of liability. They can respond to any lawsuits with, “He/she knew better.”.