Flight EMT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimberelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to work on a jet or helicoptor as an EMT, which level do you need? Can you be just an EMT-B or do you need higher?
Thanks
Kimberly

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I have ever heard of anything less than an EMT-P working on a helicopter. Some services carry a medic and an RN, some an RN and MD, some a medic and MD (and probably a few other variations). Typically, they are going to require at least 5 years of experience. Most will want that to be five years as a medic. At least some street (esp. trauma) experience is necessary (vs tater toting).

If you are really interested in being a flight medic, contact any of your nearby services and ask if they have a ride-along program. Most services I have been involved with do. They all have different requirements as far as who they will let ride. Ride along time is a great opportunity to talk to the crew about how they got to that career.

Amy

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical Helicopters have 3 personne on boardl:

1. Pilot
2. RN, preferably with several years critical care experience
3. Paramedic, preferably with several years of experience

In my neck of the woods, we have competing helicopters. Both have MD and EMT-P on board. The one promotes that their MD's are board certified, while the other flies residents. There is a lot of pressure at the one program for dual cert - EMT-P/RN.

Across the state line, another flight crew runs a pilot, medic, and RN. I think the only absolute crew member is the pilot! LOL

In Northern Illinois the 5 aeromedical programs are either EMT-P/RN or MD/RN. All programs state that 5 years experience is preferred but not necessary.

If you are looking to get a ride along just call your local aeromedical program.

The program in my area flies with an RN/EMT-P and a RT, and of course the pilot.

In my town the medical crew configurations is RN and RT, other local ones include RN/Paramedic and RN/RN. I don't think it really matters what the teams consists of as long as the team is competent. Most of the team members are so cross-trained (pilot excluded) that you function as one unit not title/title, if that makes any sense at all.

I guess I'v also heard of the rare flight programs where one of the other "lower" crew members (medic, RT, ..etc) is just a glorified bag carrier. Don't ask me why this is, but some places just do it that way.

I've worked with several configurations........RN/RN (university of iowa) very very rare, but one of the oldest flight programs in the country.

many of those RN's were also paramedics.

I've seen RN/paramedic which is the most common in the country.

many residency programs in EM have residents fly with RN's or EMT-P's.

I've worked with other programs that fly RN/paramedic and RT.

bottom line.

no EMT-B's anywhere that i've heard of.

later

I flew as a flight paramedic for 7 years. Our service is now pushing for RN/paramedic.

Also factor in the weight aspect. Many services require a maximum weight limitation as well.

Our medics can not weigh over 200 lbs.

DSM said:
I flew as a flight paramedic for 7 years. Our service is now pushing for RN/paramedic.

Also factor in the weight aspect. Many services require a maximum weight limitation as well.

Our medics can not weigh over 200 lbs.

What type did you fly in?

I have flown from about 3 years...we fly in EC 135's and BO 105's

I heard its really difficult to get hired on as a flight EMT-P. how hard is it, and what processes do you hafta do...???

and do you work 24 on/ 48 off...?

Big Papa said:
What type did you fly in?

For years we had a Bell ...now we have an Agusta!

Don't many states require a paramedic (by law) to be on board in order to do on scenes? I'm pretty sure this was the case where I worked in Virginia.

kimberelli said:
If you want to work on a jet or helicoptor as an EMT, which level do you need? Can you be just an EMT-B or do you need higher?
Thanks
Kimberly

EMT-P is the most advanced EMT rating, there are flight physicals involved to be qualified for flight operations.

Our Army Medical Company had UH-60's. I had to do a complete tour as a combat medic and finished the F3-600 course for a flight rating.

I'm out in the civilian sector now and it is very difficult to get a slot on a flight team, so I am looking into LVN or Surgical Tech. I'm tired of the long hours and low pay on the ground crew.

It really depends who you want to fly with.. I am in helicopter flight school because I want to be a medivac pilot, and thats also the reason why I am becomming an EMT.. to even fly here in Mass you have to be a min of an EMT-I. here we have pilot, co-pilot, flight doc and a flight nurse..Most have a ton of experiance and special training. If you look for a web site for the medivac you want to fly with and look under employment they usually have qualifications listed. Thats how I found out what I needed to do if I wanted to become a medivac pilot.. Now because I have totally fallen in love with EMS I am debating on just becomming a medic and working on the trucks.
Lisa

LMALAY....nooooooo don't dooooo iiiiiiiittttttttt. Stay with being a pilot!! You don't want to starve, walk everywhere when your car breaks down (no extra money to get that fixed now), work 80 hours a week, and not have a dime to show for it right.

Just joking....actually you could do both. One of our flight medics is also a pilot. I would suggest becoming a pilot first though, then you would have enough money to go to medic school. If you do it the other way, you won't be able to come up with the money for flight school :D

dgmedic said:
LMALAY....nooooooo don't dooooo iiiiiiiittttttttt. Stay with being a pilot!! You don't want to starve, walk everywhere when your car breaks down (no extra money to get that fixed now), work 80 hours a week, and not have a dime to show for it right.

Just joking....actually you could do both. One of our flight medics is also a pilot. I would suggest becoming a pilot first though, then you would have enough money to go to medic school. If you do it the other way, you won't be able to come up with the money for flight school :D

dgmedic,
Thanks lol,,,I am still undecided. I have been very lucky, when I decided last year I wanted to do this I found a ton of scholorships for females trying to become commercial pilots and have been able to obtain a few of them, So far it hasnt cost me anything, but that will soon be changing. I start my I course in January, which is the farthest I have to go to be a medivac pilot, I graduated from EMT-B school June 12th and am testing the 21st of this month with the state..wish me luck.. I am sooo nervous, I know I'll pass but still im ready to vomit blood just thinking about it...... the preeessssuuurrreeee tee hee hee.
Hope your having a great night
Lisa

Good Luck LMalay, you will do fine on the test.