Flexibility on odd pre-reqs? (Exa. Berkeley)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeSee20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Certain schools like Berkeley have other pre-reqs like Immunology. Are they flexible on waiving those requirements? I'm almost done with my pre-reqs but i'm unsure how to fit in these classes to my schedule.

Has anyone gotten accepted into Optometry school without completing one of the abnormal pre-requisites required by a school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would ask the admissions counselor but I believe they are not flexible.

Certain schools like Berkeley have other pre-reqs like Immunology. Are they flexible on waiving those requirements? I'm almost done with my pre-reqs but i'm unsure how to fit in these classes to my schedule.

Has anyone gotten accepted into Optometry school without completing one of the abnormal pre-requisites required by a school?
They don’t have flexibility, thus you have to complete them before matriculation

I would ask them personally. For the most part they have to be taken before you start school, but you can have up to 5 pre-requisites that you haven't taken by the time you apply (unless that has changed). You can then work on taking them before you begin. UC Extension for sure offers Immunology, which some of my classmates took over summer after they were accepted.

The best way to know for sure is to contact the admissions office for their advice.