Berkeley Optometry Admissions Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello! I applied to UC Berkeley's Optometry Program and I have a few questions:

-I completed my application prior to the November 30 deadline. Thus, my interview notification date is January 4. Does this mean that is when the committee will make a decision to give me an interview or will that be the last day I can get an interview invite? I'm just kind of confused about the language.

-I'm aware that UC Berkeley is...well...UC Berkeley - a sterling institution. How hard is it to get into the institution? In other words, how "holistic" is it? My grades (3.2 with a massive 3.7-ish upper trend for post-bacc) and test scores are unfortunately kind of run-of-the-mill (though I did get a 350 in BB...with the other sciences being somewhat blase), but I have years of experience in the ocular field in both a clinical and research capacity with strong recommendations from my work.

I think my experiences are pretty good - better than possibly the average student (I'm older and worked for a few years as opposed to applying straight out of undergrad), but my numbers are meh. If nothing else, they fall within the borders of a Berkeley enrolled student per their Our Applicants page.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my experience earlier in the cycle, the admissions committee will email you on January 4 at the end of day (around 4-5 pm PST) to let you know whether you have been invited for an interview. Wishing you the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Based on my experience earlier in the cycle, the admissions committee will email you on January 4 at the end of day (around 4-5 pm PST) to let you know whether you have been invited for an interview. Wishing you the best!

Oh! Okay!

Thank you very much.

While it seems that UCB picks the cream of the crop (...as they should - I mean...it is UCB), their numbers seem to be all over the place.

My guess is that you had very good numbers? I would really love to attend UCB, especially since I'm a Californian, but that is completely dependent on adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
what was your AA and TS on the OAT?

310 AA and 300 TS

Painfully average, but still within their parameters per the student site.
During this cycle, anything can happen. Somebody I know got a near-perfect OAT and was waitlisted at OAT and I am nowhere near perfect and got accepted.

Does anyone know how many seats have been taken at UCB right now?

During this cycle, anything can happen. Somebody I know got a near-perfect OAT and was waitlisted at OAT and I am nowhere near perfect and got accepted.
Yeah, I suppose. The scores UCB takes are quite wide. Ditto with GPA.

Maybe they are really "holistic."

Got rejected with a 330 AA / 340 TS and 3.56c / 3.65s GPA. Congrats for getting accepted though

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Those are some pretty decent stats. Did you at least interview with UCB?
Yeah I interviewed on 11/21. Thought I did pretty well, but there were probably more competitive applicants this cycle.

Yeah I interviewed on 11/21. Thought I did pretty well, but there were probably more competitive applicants this cycle.

Could be “fit” as well. These processes are always so random. Numbers alone don’t always mean a slam dunk acceptance.

Could be “fit” as well. These processes are always so random. Numbers alone don’t always mean a slam dunk acceptance.
I’m not sure what you mean. I implied that I did well because of the interview. Nobody said that numbers are everything, but you have to keep in mind that UCB removed their OAT requirement which means that there will be more competitive applicants for this particular school.

Every school looks for a “fit”, especially state schools. UCB prioritizes CA residents which I am not. This is what I meant in regards to competitiveness; it is not as random as you think.

Anyways, good luck with your future interviews!

I’m not sure what you mean. I implied that I did well because of the interview. Nobody said that numbers are everything, but you have to keep in mind that UCB removed their OAT requirement which means that there will be more competitive applicants for this particular school.

Every school looks for a “fit”, especially state schools. UCB prioritizes CA residents which I am not. This is what I meant in regards to competitiveness; it is not as random as you think.

Sorry! I was just trying to peruse why you didn't make it. Your numbers seem very good, though not being from California could've possibly been a deal-breaker (I'm from Cali, but from the south).

As you said, UCB is a state school, so that could've affected their judgement.

Thanks! I wish you the best on your ophthalmic journey as well.

Honestly, I think that it’s just a little too late in the cycle and the class is already nearly full. You’ve got great stats and I’m sure applying earlier would have increased your chances. I’m confident you’ll still kill it as an OD no matter which school you attend! Is there a reason why you took this long to apply, given that there was no OAT requirement this year?

Honestly, I think that it’s just a little too late in the cycle and the class is already nearly full. You’ve got great stats and I’m sure applying earlier would have increased your chances. I’m confident you’ll still kill it as an OD no matter which school you attend! Is there a reason why you took this long to apply, given that there was no OAT requirement this year?
UCB still looks at OAT scores so I wanted to see how I performed before I considered applying. I took the exam in sept and submitted my app in oct

Yikes! Now I’m concerned.
Then again, even the lower ranked optometry schools are already filling up.

I got an invite from Western and they only have two dates in January left.

Do you mind me asking which school you attended for undergrad ?

Oregon State!
Very nice. I was actually prepharmacy for three years before I switched into optometry as well. Best of luck with the rest of your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, for those that have completed the interview, do you guys mind sharing what was asked?! Thank you!