OSU vs Berkeley vs UHCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncertainOpto

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering if I could gather some opinions on each school.

From my research, the program at OSU is much more flexible. They have summer research programs, a combined OD/MS program, the faculty seem friendlier, and the surrounding area is a bit cheaper than Berkeley. UHCO is similar in these areas as well. Berkeley has a more prestigious name, more things in the area to do, and is closer to where I live.

I’d appreciate any opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you expand on what you mean by “flexible”?

I attended the Opto-Camp at berkeley and they also have summer opporunities from what you say OSU has. A lot of schools have the combined OD/MS program as well. I also do not know what you mean by flexible like the person above.

Members don't see this ad :)
By “flexible,” I mean they seem to have opportunities to add on to your OD degree. You can do the OD/MS dual degree program (within the same 4 years), you can add a business minor, or a specialization in geriatrics. Berkeley seems to only offer an honors designation if you do research. That’s what I meant by more “flexible.”

By “flexible,” I mean they seem to have opportunities to add on to your OD degree. You can do the OD/MS dual degree program (within the same 4 years), you can add a business minor, or a specialization in geriatrics. Berkeley seems to only offer an honors designation if you do research. That’s what I meant by more “flexible.”
Ohhhh you might want to look into University of Alabama in Birmingham then if you are looking to get a dual degree. They have OD/MBA OD/MS and OD/MPH and you don't have to start the other degree immediately either.

Looking at the most recent trends in Boards scores, OSU is at the top of the pack consistently. UCB and OSU are great schools, and you'll be well-prepared and highly successful at either. UHCO is a great school, too, but their recent trend in board scores is not good. At this time, I would not choose them until they can prove that they've gotten their academics under control.
Best of luck!

May I ask which school did u end up going with?
I ended up only applying to UHCO and OSU because I personally felt that the cost of admission and price of living in Berkeley was too expensive. Berkeley also does not offer any dual degree programs which are offered by these other schools.
I really like the OSU area and campus, but not the same for UHCO.
I ended up getting accepted to UHCO and waitlisted to OSU. So in the end, I will be attending UHCO. I’m happy with this because it is a reputable school with one of the lowest costs.