FIU vs FAU vs FSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got into all three of these schools! =)
I moved to Miami from NY back 8 years ago and am not a big fan of Miami. I have lived here for a while and am ready for a change! so I am already leaning towards FAU or FSU... I like both of the schools!
What do you guys think abt the two?? Pros Vs Cons....
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I got into all three of these schools! =)
I moved to Miami from NY back 8 years ago and am not a big fan of Miami. I have lived here for a while and am ready for a change! so I am already leaning towards FAU or FSU... I like both of the schools!
What do you guys think abt the two?? Pros Vs Cons....
Thanks!

I also am fortunate to have the choice between FAU and FIU, but as an OOS student. I attended the second-look weekend at FIU and enjoyed seeing all that they had to offer again.

I personally believe FAU was a much better fit for my career aspirations and overall happiness. And I have decided to got to FAU over FIU for the following reasons:
1) FAU class size will remain at 64 students where as FIU class size will increase each year. This means that FAU will always attract those students that enjoy being in a tight-knit, team-oriented, very personalized environment. FAU's character should not change much over the years due to the retention of the small class size. I believe with time and proven success, this school will attract the top students in Florida and very competitive OOS applicants.
2) The research opportunities are abundant at FAU because of the strong ties to the Scripps Research Institute and the Max Planck Research Institute, one should not have any difficulty finding basic science, drug discover, or translational medicine opportunities to engage in if desired. There are also opportunities on the FAU campus and at clinical sites such as Cleveland Clinic.
3) FAU is offering competitive scholarships for the charter class Instate students (and hopefully OOS students soon!) which should make this option cheaper than FIU and perhaps FSU
4) FAU has a heavy problem based learning curriculum structure, similar to the Cleveland Clinic. This can be either a pro or con depending on how you learn. But, I believe it will be a way to stay engaged and be an active participant in the learning instead of hearing lectures 9-5
5) FAU will have cadavers to dissect where as FIU chose to do prosections. This means that you will get more hands-on anatomy practice. I'm sure this could be either a pro or con as well!
6) At FAU you will be working directly with the attendings during your clinical years!

Well I better get back to work, but I'm sure others can expand and elaborate on what I have just described!

By the way, many students are faced with the same decision and have been discussing it on the FAU Class of 2015 facebook group. So far, most if not all that I've heard mention having to pick between FAU or FIU have decided on FAU.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am fortunate to have the choice between FAU and FIU, but as an OOS student. I attended the second-look weekend at FIU and enjoyed seeing all that they had to offer again.

I personally believe FAU was a much better fit for my career aspirations and overall happiness. And I have decided to got to FAU over FIU for the following reasons:
1) FAU class size will remain at 64 students where as FIU class size will increase each year. This means that FAU will always attract those students that enjoy being in a tight-knit, team-oriented, very personalized environment. FAU's character should not change much over the years due to the retention of the small class size. I believe with time and proven success, this school will attract the top students in Florida and very competitive OOS applicants.
2) The research opportunities are abundant at FAU because of the strong ties to the Scripps Research Institute and the Max Planck Research Institute, one should not have any difficulty finding basic science, drug discover, or translational medicine opportunities to engage in if desired. There are also opportunities on the FAU campus and at clinical sites such as Cleveland Clinic.
3) FAU is offering competitive scholarships for the charter class Instate students (and hopefully OOS students soon!) which should make this option cheaper than FIU and perhaps FSU
4) FAU has a heavy problem based learning curriculum structure, similar to the Cleveland Clinic. This can be either a pro or con depending on how you learn. But, I believe it will be a way to stay engaged and be an active participant in the learning instead of hearing lectures 9-5
5) FAU will have cadavers to dissect where as FIU chose to do prosections. This means that you will get more hands-on anatomy practice. I'm sure this could be either a pro or con as well!
6) At FAU you will be working directly with the attendings during your clinical years!

Well I better get back to work, but I'm sure others can expand and elaborate on what I have just described!

By the way, many students are faced with the same decision and have been discussing it on the FAU Class of 2015 facebook group. So far, most if not all that I've heard mention having to pick between FAU or FIU have decided on FAU.

Get on the FAU Class of 2015 Facebook group. For better or worse, it'll make you fall in love with the school and give up all hopes of attending a state school should you get off of the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Thanks for the input!
Ok so for me FIU is kind of already off the list.... For many reason some of which you described!
The thing is that the difference between FAU and FSU will only be around 6 thousand a year cost wise... which is not so big.....
I come from a big university so I am not sure about the small class size... it sounds good but not something i am used to!
I am more of lecture learning type of person but I like small groups, ie discussing things with people and learning from each other as well.
I think FAU has both if i am not mistaken...correct?
Also, what do you mean about working directly with attendings... I would assume that affiliation with hospitals will put you in the same old hierarchy with attending, chief resident, resident, 4th year med, and then 3rd yr med student.... isnt this true for FAU as well???
FSU on the other hand has clinics so its all one on one! which i think is greats!
I feel like its sooooo hard to choose! Both have similar missions that I feel are fit for me as well!

Hey, Thanks for the input!
Ok so for me FIU is kind of already off the list.... For many reason some of which you described!
The thing is that the difference between FAU and FSU will only be around 6 thousand a year cost wise... which is not so big.....
I come from a big university so I am not sure about the small class size... it sounds good but not something i am used to!
I am more of lecture learning type of person but I like small groups, ie discussing things with people and learning from each other as well.
I think FAU has both if i am not mistaken...correct?
Also, what do you mean about working directly with attendings... I would assume that affiliation with hospitals will put you in the same old hierarchy with attending, chief resident, resident, 4th year med, and then 3rd yr med student.... isnt this true for FAU as well???
FSU on the other hand has clinics so its all one on one! which i think is greats!
I feel like its sooooo hard to choose! Both have similar missions that I feel are fit for me as well!

We were told that there are no residents at many of the clinical sites. Thus this talk of direct interaction with the attendings.

I say FAU, but that's only cause it'll only open up a spot for me at FSU LOL

but good luck with your decision and congrats on all the acceptances!

We were told that there are no residents at many of the clinical sites. Thus this talk of direct interaction with the attendings.

Yeah. I was dubious about FAU's clinical sites at first (not being at large academic teaching centers and all), but that just means no residents/fellows stealing all the interesting procedures from you. I was still dubious even after they pointed that out to us, but then I met some of the attendings during a tour of one of the clinical sites. The attendings were actually really, really excited to have people to teach. They even started teaching us, and we were just on the tour--not even med students yet! We just wanted to see the facilities :laugh: So since some of the clinical sites have attendings who are crazy excited to teach, and others are primo for research (cleveland clinic, scripps), I think FAU is actually pretty good.

Yeah. I was dubious about FAU's clinical sites at first (not being at large academic teaching centers and all), but that just means no residents/fellows stealing all the interesting procedures from you. I was still dubious even after they pointed that out to us, but then I met some of the attendings during a tour of one of the clinical sites. The attendings were actually really, really excited to have people to teach. They even started teaching us, and we were just on the tour--not even med students yet! We just wanted to see the facilities :laugh: So since some of the clinical sites have attendings who are crazy excited to teach, and others are primo for research (cleveland clinic, scripps), I think FAU is actually pretty good.

Haha jkchang! I Hope you get in! Honestly when i went in the class was full so i thought i was gonna be wait-listed but be genuine and from the looks of it you are interested in rural Medicine... just show them that! it matters a lot! They are very focused on their mission and show them that its your mission as well! =) Good luck buddy!

Thanks for the input guys! Helping me out a lot! I love to hear everyones opinions... so keep posting! =)

Haha jkchang! I Hope you get in! Honestly when i went in the class was full so i thought i was gonna be wait-listed but be genuine and from the looks of it you are interested in rural Medicine... just show them that! it matters a lot! They are very focused on their mission and show them that its your mission as well! =) Good luck buddy!

Thanks for the input guys! Helping me out a lot! I love to hear everyones opinions... so keep posting! =)

Hey quick question, when did you interview for FSU? Thanks!!! =D

Hey quick question, when did you interview for FSU? Thanks!!! =D

2nd to last Monday in march.... I think it was the 21st..
Ps... The class being full is something i heard when i was going up to interview... I'm not sure that was true or not.....

Hey guys... I just wanted to say that I am ALSO making the choice now between FIU and FAU. Looking through this thread there seems to be an overwhelming majority who are supportive of FAU. I would like to spin the other side and say some good things that I've looked into in terms of getting a very solid and well rounded medical education from FIU.

Bear in mind, that I am still deciding between the two pending scholarship offers, but I would like to share why I am leaning more so towards FIU.

FIU in my opinion has a TON of amazing resources at their disposal. The one negative thing I can say about FIU, is that they are not very good at selling themselves. When you interview you don't get the opportunity to see the amazing facilities, doctors, and hospitals that they are affiliated with. If you go to 2nd look.. they do show some hospitals (such as world renowned Miami Childrens, etc), but even then they didn't show Baptist Hospital (which is OUTSTANDING --- and which is where we would complete many of our rotations such as ER, Internal, Surgery, etc). FIU is also affiliated with Jackson North and Jackson (though UMiami does have a stronger affiliation) but Jackson Health has so much to offer in terms of viewing a more diverse population. There is also the Gordon Center that FIU has access to. It is a state of the art simulation center where FAU's simulation center pales in comparison. The Gordon Center is where Harvey's were first built, and is just an incredible facility to have the opportunity to use. Not to mention we have basically cherry picked the best hospitals to work with in Miami including Mercy, Mt Sinai, Cleveland Clinic.... and of course Baptist, Jackson, and Miami Children's hospital!

PLUS - there's more :)

A lot of great physicians are associated with FIU, whereas I'm not quite sure who is well known at FAU in academics. FIU is drawing many professors from UMiami as well as other well respected doctors across the nation from Johns Hopkins (Dr. John Rock, founding dean), and Pedro Greer who founded the Camillus House and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama himself for his amazing work. Other deans including Dean Simpson (from Baylor College of Medicine) is part of the national academy of science and has a lot to offer as well. There are obviously more amazing people that are part of FIU but I will not bore everyone with too many name drops :)

A lot of people get thrown off by having to use pro-sections during anatomy and think this is a big deal in terms of not having the experience of cutting... I've spoken to countless medical students who have now matched at great residencies across the nation and they all say that cutting in anatomy was completely useless and did not have any applicable purpose or benefit for pursuing surgery, etc.

I also know of a few kids who were under UM at the FAU campus and although they did have higher board scores on average in comparison to UM, they actually ended up having a harder time matching and ended up having to do the scramble at the end or take a year off. Perhaps this is attributable to the fact that there are not many well known faculty at FAU which is where your letters of recommendation will come from for residency applications.

Whereas Scripps does offer some amazing research opps for students at FAU, FIU does have access to research at Baptist and people can complete research credits at other institutions, including specific schools where they would like to match at. Doors at UMiami are also wide open to pursue research at. There are no restrictions. There is a lot there if people choose to pursue it.

Another thing I will mention is that there seems to be more of an emphasis in primary care at FAU, whereas FIU has made it clear that they are pro students pursuing whatever specialty they have interest in....

Obviously both schools are incredible and have a lot to offer. But I wanted to make sure FIU was also well represented if other people are between choosing between these amazing schools!! Good luck everyone with your decisions!! :luck::xf:

Hey guys - wanted to add a little bit more to this conversation.

A major thing that stood out to me about FAU as an applicant was that although Scripps offered amazing research opportunities, these were mostly basic sciences research, and not patient/clinical research, which is very important to me.

Additionally, while driving north from Miami, I realized how far the Jupiter exit to the Scripps research lab actually was (it took about 40 minutes after I left FAU before I even saw the sign for Jupiter). The welcome packet interestingly says that it's 25 miles north - but according to Google Maps it's definitely 45 miles and around 55 minutes with traffic. Not an easy commute every day, back and forth.

Sure the opportunity to work in collaboration with Scripps is wonderful, however it would be very difficult to do research simultaneously while you're in school, without taking a year off to relocate and focus on your research there. This was a HUGE drawback for me. However, it's still very possible to pursue. I don't mean to deter anyone, this is just what I personally observed. I may not be 100% correct, you should definitely double-check.

The only other big difference between the two schools is that the populations they serve are vastly different. Miami has a population of more than 5.5 million in the metropolitan area, consisting of millions of immigrants from latin america and the caribbean. This offers an incredible opportunity for clinical experiences, that you can't find in more suburban areas. In comparison, Boca Raton has a population of around 350,000 people, however I am unfamiliar with the county at large. I personally believe the experiences clinically that are available in the city of Miami are amazing.

I also interviewed for the MD and MD/MPH program at UMiami - and I know that the UM-FAU (Boca) students performed about 5 points higher on their Step 1 compared with the UM students (225 vs. 230 -- negligible). I only say this because I feel that students are probably worried about how FIU students may perform in the future, however, even though the UM-FAU program was new, they still did performed better than the national average, and still in line with UM. So - applicants should not be worried about how FIU students will perform on their boards. A lot of the preparation is self-study. This is the case at most medical schools (even at UMiami, UF, etc.).

A big benefit at FIU is that you actually take the Step 1 in your THIRD year. Many other universities, including Duke and Baylor do this with strong results. Students have been shown on average to score an entire standard deviation higher than the national average. That is pretty amazing.

Good luck with your decisions!! Hope this information helped. :luck:

I'm at FSU and love it here. I do have the occasional gripe about things, but who doesn't?

One thing that hasn't been brought up much in the price aspect is that it is dirt cheap to live up here relative to south Florida. Apartments are all pretty affordable, gas prices are usually a little lower than down there...all that.

The first two years lets you really feel like you're still part of the undergrad population. People routinely go to football, basketball and baseball games or even participate in organizations with undergrads, which can be a nice shift. There is also the FSU rez, which is a nice lake area that you can go do a ton of different things really cheap. (Canoeing, rock climbing, etc.)

The profs here are all very invested in you. Sure, there will be ones you don't like. That is everywhere. Many of the professors came here because they wanted to teach and were trying to put research on the back burner. That being said, if you do want research it is easy to find (I did some).

We tend to be more advanced and autonomous clinically when done by the third year. This is for several reasons, but one is that we start REALLY early doing clinical stuff. They are rearranging the class now so that things go even faster, but by spring of first year I was seeing patients every other week. Then we have a month long practicum where you are with a doctor and do a TON of stuff. I did suturing, chest compressions, H&Ps, and all that stuff. The second semester of second year we focus on procedures for third year, so we learn how to do IVs, casting, a good opthalmology exam (we dilate each others eyes), suturing, etc. We also get the ACLS certification for third year.

Board scores, those are a direct function of your work invested more than anything else.I know people here that got 250+ and those that got 220 and less. Usually, it was a function of their own goals more than academic talents. I've been testing more than a standard deviation above the averages and I'm not that smart, but I have been working hard to be ready for step 1.

Third and fourth year are what impressed the LCME licensing committee when they were here. The main reason is that all the docs sign up to have you. They undergo teaching lessons and get reviews just like you do. They actually want you there. Much of the time you are treated more like a PA or intern than a med student once they get to know you. My friend finishing up her third year said that her surgeon had her doing appendectomies by the end of the rotation from first cut to closure. (With a watchful eye of course)

There are BS things that irritate people, but for the most art my class is very happy. Class size in medical school is really quite trivial and I'd probably want more than 100 people anyway. Medical school is like high school on steroids when it comes to the drama between people. Class isn't mandatory but is video recorded. My grades went up when I stopped going. Many times during second year there were only 30 or 40 people actually in class anyway.

Appendectomies in third year rotations? Wow. I know they are one of the easiest surgeries, but that's still very impressive. Yeah, I've heard FSU lets their students in on the action very early, so that's really good.

One question I do have is how often you have to go to class. You said lectures are video recorded, which fits my learning style well. But in first and second year, how often are there small group stuff/presentations where you have to go to the Med school building?

Currently, I am only admitted to FAU, but on the waitlist for both FIU and FSU. So, this discussion is very interesting to me.

First, a few questions:
1. Are all three programs P/F?
2. Does being on the "alternate accept" list at FIU and accepted at FAU count as holding multiple acceptances?
3. How are the clusters assigned for the clinical years at FAU?

FAU pros:
1. responsive administration
2. forward-thinking curriculum (both pre-clinical and clinical years)
3. scholarship money for IS students
4. summer break EVERY YEAR! I think this is great and will help prevent burnout.

FAU cons:
1. unestablished match success - this is by far my biggest concern
2. less prestigious hospital affiliations
3. lack of diverse cases in the hospitals
4. not too many research opportunities (as I was told by my interviewer)

FIU pros:
1. diverse patient population
2. world-renowned hospitals during clinical years
3. Miami!

FIU cons:
1. I am not happy with the administration's secrecy
2. unestablished match success as well, but at least there will be a few classes above me

FSU pros:
1. most established program of the three
2. the students seem to really enjoy themselves
3. cheaper cost of living

FSU cons:
1. Tallahassee
2. regional centers for clinical years
3. classes start very soon

Last edited:
I'm another FSU Hold lister

I don't know if this makes a difference to you, but it would to me if I were in your shoes:
A good chunk of the people on the Hold list are "FSU or bust" applicants. Either it is their only opportunity this cycle, or FSU has been their dream school for a long time. So, if you like them both pretty equally, I would say FAU, so as to let one of the gung-ho FSU people's dreams come true. :) Again, just something I would think about if I were in your shoes.

It's wonderful that you have these choices, and congrats! My personal mentality at this point would be to think about fit and such. In the end, the stats of all the schools will probably end up in the same ballpark, and I don't think residencies will care if one is a baby bit higher than the others

Also, a note on Tallahassee--I'm from Detroit, where Wayne State University is. People who go to Wayne and don't like Detroit just end up miserable. It seems like you've written off Miami for that reason, but you also might want to think about the cities of these two schools.

My only concerns about FAU is that is is new/unknown and that is works on a pass/fail system. I would expect this to make it harder to stand out when you want to get a residency.

My only concerns about FAU is that is is new/unknown and that is works on a pass/fail system. I would expect this to make it harder to stand out when you want to get a residency.

I'm not sure if you're deciding between FAU and FSU but FSU is also pass/fail actually...

Also, I agree with SisterDisco! I'm also an "FSU or Bust" waitlist person and it really depends on which program fits your needs and goals. Think about the mission of each school as well as the difference in curriculum in regards to YOU.

Some may think FSU's regional campus concept is a con but I actually feel it is a pro - it lets you experience medicine in other parts of the state. On the other hand, the general consensus is that most people would hate to live in Tallahassee (not me!).

Also, FSU is geared more towards primary care and family care and while you don't HAVE to go into it, that's their goal. Not to mention FSU has a strong push towards serving the underserved, elderly, minority and rural populations of Florida so if that's not your interest you may want to look elsewhere. Then of course there's the curriculum itself. Some are turned off by FSU's early start (summer classes = :thumbdown:) but some think of it as a chance to spread out the courses and make the courseload easier. Also, FSU is one of the only programs to have a dedicated geriatrics department and require a full rotation in geriatrics as well as integrating geriatrics into their four year curriculum. I don't know what tuition is at FIU and FAU (scholarships too for the first year?) but tuition at FSU is pretty cheap so if you're looking to save then that may be a deciding factor.

It's really up to you and your situation. If these are things you are very interested in or if these are your goals then FSU may be perfect for you! Mosspoh is a current student and does an EXCELLENT job highlighting the many pros of FSU

Also, let me just mention that while FAU is a brand new school, it kind of broke off from UM so I'm sure it's very established and has everything in order and ready for the incoming class. It's not just starting from nothing. Not to mention, how nice would it be to say you were part of the inaugural class at FAU =P

It's also fairly close to Miami!

For me, after reading up about FSU and visiting the school, talking with the students and professors and taking it all in, I think the school's mission and goals align perfectly with mine and that's why I'd choose FSU over FAU or FIU. But it is definitely different for everyone =D

congrats on the acceptances and good luck! And if you decide against FSU please do us on the waitlist a favor and rescind your acceptance/waitlist spot as soon as possible!! :D

Last edited:
Both of these schools offer their own advantages/disadvantages. Ultimately I think it should come down to the gut feeling you got during both of the interviews. Having been waitlisted at FAU, it would be nice if that extra spot opened up, but when it comes down to it, it's a decision you should make sure you're happy with, in a place you know you'll be comfortable. Good luck on the decision and congrats!

ps. I agree with JKchang, please notify whatever school you decide not to go to so that we on the waiting list have a better chance! :p

In the end, it's REALLY not going to matter that you'd be in the inaugural class--it will not be looked down upon when you apply to residency (I've been hearing a lot of discussions about this in Michigan because we also just opened a new med school). You will also have the advantage of new facilities, great faculty (they usually get pretty fantastic teachers to attract students), and some flexibility in molding how that school works. Plus the smaller classes will be such an asset. I'm a U of Michigan grad--big is not always better.

Also, FSU is only like 10 years old, so it wouldn't give you that much of an advantage in residencies anyway.

Currently, I am only admitted to FAU, but on the waitlist for both FIU and FSU. So, this discussion is very interesting to me.

First, a few questions:
1. Are all three programs P/F?
2. Does being on the "alternate accept" list at FIU and accepted at FAU count as holding multiple acceptances?
3. How are the clusters assigned for the clinical years at FAU?

I don't think that being on the alternate list at FIU is counted as holding a second acceptance.

I believe that clusters are assigned according to what is most convenient for you (where you already live and whatever is closest to you).

Not sure what the pass/fail status is.

Status
Not open for further replies.