FIU vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easypeasy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently got accepted to FIU and was previously set on going to EVMS. I really like EVMS but i'm in-state for Florida. Any input on helping me make my decision?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm confused... how did you just get accepted anywhere already?? i didnt even think the amcas apps were sent yet??

i'm confused... how did you just get accepted anywhere already?? i didnt even think the amcas apps were sent yet??

S/he applied last cycle and got accepted off of a waitlist in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just recently got accepted to FIU and was previously set on going to EVMS. I really like EVMS but i'm in-state for Florida. Any input on helping me make my decision?

Is anyone forking $$ ur way? How important is weather, location, nightlife, family/friend separation to you? How much did the schools appeal to you during ur visits (curriculum, support for students, innovations, programs etc etc).

This is a very personal decision so carefully consider everything, call the schools and have all ur questions answered, talk to current med students at the school etc etc. If u do this, a frontrunner/winner will emerge.

GL!!

Ok. I'm trying to bring this thread back to life for selfish reasons. I am into both of these schools, and I am having a really hard time making a decision. I am a Va resident, so eastern Va would definitely be the cheaper option- but I really like Miami and the warmth that comes year-round. As for the schools themselves- I think they are both great, but for different reasons. I like the innovative curriculum, environmental health research, and neighborhood help program at Fiu. I like evms because of their solid match statistics and it is closer to family. I have been across the country for undergrad, so it may be nice to go back home for a while. I know there is no wrong choice- I just want to make the best one.

I am a huge fan of FIU, seeing as that's where I'll be going in August, however, you are OOS, and your tuition for FIU would be monumentally more expensive. I'm sure you've looked at their OOS tuition, but just to remind you tuition is over 50k and I think all expenses per year for OOS happen to be something close to 90k if I remember right.

Think about that, 90k. A Year.

That would decide it for me, but if that is the only reason you would not go to FIU, wait for the fin aid packages. FIU offers 4 yr tuition plus living expenses scholarships, and you may get one.

Good luck deciding!

*Note: Make sure you returned the scholarship application to FIU, first round priority app/FAFSA date has already passed.

Thanks for the advice! I did not know they gave out that many full rides. I did send in my scholarship application stuff by the deadline, so I am definitely thankful for that. :) I hope to see you there in august! If not, enjoy Miami for me!

Thanks for the advice! I did not know they gave out that many full rides. I did send in my scholarship application stuff by the deadline, so I am definitely thankful for that. :) I hope to see you there in august! If not, enjoy Miami for me!

When I talked to them at my interview, the fin aid person said they were expecting at least 20. That's 1/4 of the incoming class. I'm crossing my fingers for you...and for myself. ;)

Wow! That is definitely good news. I'll be crossing fingers for us both as well. :)

Yeah, I am new at this stuff. haha. Thanks for all of your help! You are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.