filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the fee for the NMAT in the Philippines?
In the states it's $350. I'd rather put that toward a plane ticket to the Philippines and take the test there, while enjoying a vacation.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the fee for the NMAT in the Philippines?
In the states it's $350. I'd rather put that toward a plane ticket to the Philippines and take the test there, while enjoying a vacation.

ALthough the fee is much lower there, the price of a RT ticket is about $1500.
Plus with the jet lag, you might be too sleepy during the exams unless you give yourself weeks to acclimatize. Philippines is about 12-13 hours ahead of EST.

hello everyone! im new here and i have a question.
im a nursing graduate and about to take the licensure exams (dec 2 and 3) and nmat in december.

My problem is that i lack units in some subject requirements. My target schools are ust, cim (cebu institute of medicine), feu, ue, and st. luke's.

How will i complete my units? am i going to re enroll in my old school or these schools have extra programs for students lacking in units? :)

my email is [email protected]

tnx

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd believe that you would have to complete those units either at your old school or somewhere else. Do you know how much the fee is for the NMAT?

yup. about 500 for the registration fee and 1300 for the testing fee, i think.

so i have to really complete the units, eh? sigh... anyway, im planning to take the nmat in april 2007 instead of this coming december. i'll be 24 by the time im starting freshman yr in med school. i hope i wont be too old... hehehe

where in manila exactly is the nmat testing center? :oops:

24 is not too old? i went to medschool in the philippines with people over 30. NMAT in the philipppines is given once or twice a year i think and A LOT of people take it. the testing centers are distributed to the different universities throughout the philippines, i don't remember there being a specific testing center. but you could take the NMAT here in the US. save you the plane fare home.

The NMAT is held on the second Sunday every December and April. The December testing is held simultaneously at a number of locations around the Philippines. The April testing is only held in Manila.

The company that administers the NMAT normally uses the St Benilde college as the testing location.

goodness! ive just read most of the posts in this thread! it has been very helpful in giving me an idea of the medical school pathway.

medicine has always been at the back of my mind but its only a few months ago that i decided to take medicine after my nursing board exams. i can really see myself as a doctor in the future no matter how hard the journey will be.

hmm.. anyway. are there any nursing graduates here (other than maia) who are contemplating about med school?

good God! the unit requirements seem tough! I only have 5 units in organic chem, 5 for human anatomy, 3 for physics, 3 for stat. the last time i studied trigonometry was when i was in junior high school! i hope i'll finish all of them next year, probably enroll at the nearby school which also have their own college of medicine but im not sure if its recognized by the WHO.

they say nmat is easy but i have browsed through the review book and i dont think it is. ha ha ha. anyway, i'll get through this. my dream school is ust. ive been there for two semesters and i just love the old main building and their library.

>and another thing, i also plan to practice in the us but i still dont even have a passport. jeez... its going to be a long ride. :))

I just searched the UST web site for medical school requirements and couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to a site with that information?
I also noticed something about taking an entrance exam in order to go to UST. Does everyone have to take that? Thanks for the replys.

I know I'm still a sophomore in college here in Cali but I'm already considering my options for medical school. A family friend recommended that I consider going to school in the Philippines in case I didn't get in here which seems to make my folks really happy for some reason. How much does it cost to go to school there and which schools are ok to attend? And will I still be able to practice medicine here in the US once I've graduated?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

i don't think UST Faculty of Medicine & Surgery's website is updated. surprisingly, it still has the link "innovative curriculum" that talks about the problem-based learning (PBL), which is NOT implemented anymore (well i don't know if they have plans of implementing it again in few years based on the 1st batch's performance with the local licensure exams). the faculty's present curriculum is the integrated type - combination of the traditional and problem-based learning. you have the usual subjects in every year level, not modules as described in the site.

my advice is don't rely solely on this website. if you have friends enrolled in the faculty, it's better that u ask them.

goodness! ive just read most of the posts in this thread! it has been very helpful in giving me an idea of the medical school pathway.

medicine has always been at the back of my mind but its only a few months ago that i decided to take medicine after my nursing board exams. i can really see myself as a doctor in the future no matter how hard the journey will be.

hmm.. anyway. are there any nursing graduates here (other than maia) who are contemplating about med school?

good God! the unit requirements seem tough! I only have 5 units in organic chem, 5 for human anatomy, 3 for physics, 3 for stat. the last time i studied trigonometry was when i was in junior high school! i hope i'll finish all of them next year, probably enroll at the nearby school which also have their own college of medicine but im not sure if its recognized by the WHO.

they say nmat is easy but i have browsed through the review book and i dont think it is. ha ha ha. anyway, i'll get through this. my dream school is ust. ive been there for two semesters and i just love the old main building and their library.

>and another thing, i also plan to practice in the us but i still dont even have a passport. jeez... its going to be a long ride. :))

Am also a nursing student with the same contemplations in entering medicine-Am aiming for UP (from UP College of Nursing) but might consider medicine in UST or PLM. UST, considering the status of the students, is excellent in bedside manners and patient- doctor relationship- UP is excellent in tuition and practice. Have you decided which school you'll be applying to? Am also taking the NMAT this december

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link filchiPT.
Are you also going from PT to MD?

yea thinkin about it,its kinda hard to give up things i got use to living and working here in the US, but ill be taking nmat in dec .

hentaisocrnmdph
-->> im planning to apply at ust, feu, ue, and cim, and maybe st. lukes. up is just too much for me (hehehe). and i'll take nmat in april 2007 :)

about the ust website: tnx! i didnt realize it was outdated ;)

^ no problem

as of the moment, their curriculum is back to the integrated one - mixed traditional and problem-based learning. the greatest challenge is finishing your formal education (of course, that means getting promoted to the next level at the end of each school year) after 4 yrs.

good luck to all aspiring thomasian doctors.

Hey everyone!

Just want people to know about the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health, a product of the Ateneo de Manila University (Loyola Schools) and the New Medical City Hospital. They are currently accepting applicants for School Year 2007-2008. It will be a 5-year course which includes a Master's degree in Hospital Management and, if I'm not mistaken, one year of internship. It's a pretty sweet deal for 5 years in what would probably be the best medical school campus in the country (especially compared to other medical schools...hehe). Check this out: http://www.admu.edu.ph/index.php?p=24

Since next year will be the first year, word has it that students will be spending time between the Rockwell Campus in Makati and the New Medical building in Ortigas. No idea how they're going to do that, but that's what I've heard so far.

I'd have to admit this would be a risk, the program being new and all. But it might be worth considering as a choice. So far, everything looks good on paper and Ateneo has always had a good reputation when it comes to delivery. If I were just graduating from my BS, I'd seriously consider it as one of my options versus UST, UP and UE. Of course, when it comes to experience and reputation, Ateneo would be incomparable. It's faculty, however, are from these three schools. I'd have to say that I may be biased, being an Ateneo Alumna, but I just think that Ateneo might have an edge because of its ideal to train doctors also as leaders, which is something other medical schools do not seem have.

All the best to everyone! :)

PS I have a question for the docs out there:What hospitals would be good for internship?

hentaisocrnmdph
-->> im planning to apply at ust, feu, ue, and cim, and maybe st. lukes. up is just too much for me (hehehe). and i'll take nmat in april 2007 :)

about the ust website: tnx! i didnt realize it was outdated ;)

yes, its quite out dated
squash, they are already filing the application forms in UST by surname- I havent the list with me right now but I think its a-j surnames for september, k-n for october and the rest for november. UST always comes second to UP in terms of tuition so considering your situation- application in UST is already on the go. St. Lukes is just starting and upon attending a forum of theirs, they pretty well screwed it up. They said they are training "physicians for tertiary care and experts in consultanship as they are proud of their first world equipments" something like that but curriculum, name and the rest, you have better chances in UST- I was told in the same forum.

at AurA,
(hahahahahahaha)
- are the risks inhibiting you from attending ASMPH
- what course did you take up in Ateneo and was that your premed course
- where else will you be applying other than UST

Hey everyone!

Just want people to know about the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health, a product of the Ateneo de Manila University (Loyola Schools) and the New Medical City Hospital. They are currently accepting applicants for School Year 2007-2008. It will be a 5-year course which includes a Master's degree in Hospital Management and, if I'm not mistaken, one year of internship.

I wonder what motivated Ateneo to integrate Medicine and Hospital Management since fresh grad doctors usually concentrate on the application rather than the management (business) side of it.

It's a pretty sweet deal for 5 years in what would probably be the best medical school campus in the country (especially compared to other medical schools...hehe).

Best medical school campus in the country??? :rolleyes: Have you been to other schools? Have you had the chance to compare facilities, laboratories, teaching hospitals, etc?

On a side note: If you want to become a doctor, you should learn to do with what are available at you. It's not a good idea to sell medical school on the basis of having an attractive building structure. This is probably why UP, UST, CIM and PLM graduates excel in the medical profession because their students -- aside from being smart and diligent -- are industrious and do not rely on spoon-fed learning method.

Since next year will be the first year, word has it that students will be spending time between the Rockwell Campus in Makati and the New Medical building in Ortigas. No idea how they're going to do that, but that's what I've heard so far.

If the words are true, then that wouldn't make Ateneo an attractive medical school to go to. There was a study made several years ago about the plan to house the INTARMED students of UP at Diliman campus instead of current location, Manila. INTARMED students are the Top 40 qualifiers in the UPCAT, the toughest entrance exam to beat in the whole country (less than 8% make it out of the more than 80 thousand applicants). They are perceived to be country's brightest and smartest medical students. They graduate 2 years ahead of their peers. They are the valedictorians/salutatorians of the best high schools in the Philippines. They usually make it to the Dean's List, graduate with honors and land in the top 20 in the local medical board exams. Their existence in UP is contributing to UP's enormous prestige here and abroad.

The plan was abolished. The reason: it's not conducive for medical students to be traveling from one campus to the other especially in Metro Manila because travel time is very long.

I'd have to admit this would be a risk, the program being new and all. But it might be worth considering as a choice.

I would say that going to Ateneo medical school is worth risking if you're not smart enough to get into UP, UST, PLM and UE, but do not risk a UP or UST diploma to a new and unproven medical degree provider because becoming a doctor is not about a game of risk especially if you can afford to go to top-notched medical schools.

So far, everything looks good on paper and Ateneo has always had a good reputation when it comes to delivery.

I hate to burse the bubbles but the BS ECE program in Ateneo was a big flap, in case you didn't know. It never produced a 100% in the local board examination. For example, only 50% of its takers passed the board exam this year. Only 12 out of 27 passed in ECE board exam last year. The year before that was their worse.

If I were just graduating from my BS, I'd seriously consider it as one of my options versus UST, UP and UE.

Sometimes loyalty blinds you. Sometimes, it makes you stupid.

Of course, when it comes to experience and reputation, Ateneo would be incomparable.

Experience is relative. CIM students can claim theirs is the best and so are the UST students.

When it comes to reputation, nobody beats UP, whether in the Philippines or abroad. I agree that Ateneo is reputable. But come on, let's face it, it can't be the most reputable. In fact, both DLSU and UST are more reputable than Ateneo whether in the Philippines or abroad. And whether we like it or not, when it comes to reputation, nobody beats UP. In the Philippines, the UP brand name is far and away the best brand name in all of academia. No other school even comes close in terms of sheer branding. Not DLSU, not UST, not MSU, not Ateneo, not anybody. This is not a close call by any means. Whether we like it or not, UP is the most famopus and the most prestigious university in the entire Philippines. It is the only well-respected Philippine university outside of the Philippines. And, it is the only Philippine university admitted to the prestigous, Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU). Check this out: http://apru.nus.edu.sg/about/members.htm

It's faculty, however, are from these three schools. I'd have to say that I may be biased, being an Ateneo Alumna, but I just think that Ateneo might have an edge because of its ideal to train doctors also as leaders, which is something other medical schools do not seem have.

Your peers will salute to you if you are professional in what you do. To become a professional doctor, you perform your duty as medical practitioner heartily. You do not learn this thing in management school.

Hey everyone!

Just want people to know about the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health, a product of the Ateneo de Manila University (Loyola Schools) and the New Medical City Hospital. They are currently accepting applicants for School Year 2007-2008. It will be a 5-year course which includes a Master's degree in Hospital Management and, if I'm not mistaken, one year of internship. It's a pretty sweet deal for 5 years in what would probably be the best medical school campus in the country (especially compared to other medical schools...hehe). Check this out: http://www.admu.edu.ph/index.php?p=24

I'd have to admit this would be a risk, the program being new and all. But it might be worth considering as a choice. So far, everything looks good on paper and Ateneo has always had a good reputation when it comes to delivery. If I were just graduating from my BS, I'd seriously consider it as one of my options versus UST, UP and UE. Of course, when it comes to experience and reputation, Ateneo would be incomparable. It's faculty, however, are from these three schools. I'd have to say that I may be biased, being an Ateneo Alumna, but I just think that Ateneo might have an edge because of its ideal to train doctors also as leaders, which is something other medical schools do not seem have.

All the best to everyone! :)

well, we'll just see in 5-6 yrs from now how "good" is that school, based on their performance not just on the local boards, but as doctors/healers/social workers.

hospital management? what for? yes, some doctors can handle that but if u ask me, i'd rather focus more on building & maintaining patient rapport. what's a (good, state-of-the-art) hospital for if your doctors/other staff are rude, unprofessional?

PS I have a question for the docs out there:What hospitals would be good for internship?

Best to go in a training/teaching hospital. Or in a hospital where u want to spend your residency training. Some based it on the proximity of their residence since they've been gone away from home for a long time (esp for those who came from the provinces).

Hello. quick question.
I got this information from the Fatima College of Medicine website, and am very surprised at the high tuition :eek:
---Does this tuition only apply to foreign applicants? Or is it for all applicants including Filipino citizens???

TUITION (excludes textbooks):
BASIC SCIENCES:
First Year Tuition $20,000

Second Year Tuition $20,000

CLINICAL SCIENCES (US INTEGRATED CLINICAL CLERKSHIPS:
Third Year Tuition $32,000

Fourth Year Tuition $32,000

There is no financial aid.

For foreign applicants

at those prices I'd go for Saba in the Carribean. Or even a more expensive school that is eligible for Stafford (low interest) loans would come out cheaper.

Hello,

I just wanna make sure what's going to be on NMAT.

Will there be botany and zoology questions ? Biochemistry?

What I was told:
Organic Chem
General Chem
Biology (cell biology, genetics, microbiology, but no plants and zo-o stuff)
Physics (mechanics, kinematics, but no rotational motions -- only linear motions)
Math (Trigo, Algebra, some Geometry)
Sociology
Psychology
Verbal - Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning
Non-verbal Reasoning

The cem-inc.org.ph website does not have specific topics in each main area.
(and I haven't got my Practice Sets just yet -- they said they'll be sending soon, but hasn't arrived in the mail).

Please comment, add or subtract subtopics from the list.

Thanks.

There are a number of Fil-ams who get accepted in UP. They fair pretty well. I have not heard of any foreign applicant rejected because he/she can't speak the language. But since training mainly involves charity/indigent patients, I highly recommend that you try to learn the language. You don't necessarily have to be fluent, but know keywords.

UP is the best place to train if you want to see rare/full-blown cases. Tuition, if I'm not mistaken is the MOST reasonable of the top tier med schools in the country.

Sure, PM me. I'm glad to be of help.

1) Proper Med has only 4 years in duration not 5, correct ? UP-CM website says Year Level V&VI are integrated into one year. Year Level VII is one year internship. So, that means only four full years in duration. Can you please confirm this ?

2) Regarding admission, do you know (or do you have an idea) about the stats of those foreigners who got in to UP-CM ? (gpa/nmat score)?

3) Do you know (or can you find out) if UP-CM puts the foreigners into separate pool, that is, given that only 2-3 foreign applicants are accepted, are the foreign applicants competing for those 2-3 spots ? You know what I mean: there is a 2-3 spots for foreign applicants "allocated" and the competition is only amongst the foreign applicants to secure these spots.

4) Do you know or feel or have you heard if UP-CM uses International Transcript Evaluation to assess foreign applicant's transcript ?

5) Given that graduates of four-year BA/BS in UP need to do Master's in the Philippines (preferably in UP) in order to apply to Master's degree here in Canada, and given that the International Transcript Evaluation lists that a "B" grade here is "A" in UP, it looks that a summa in UP is only a "B" in Canada. A four-year BA/BS in UP is not even at par with Canadian four-year BA/BSc Honours. In Canada, Honours is required to enter Master's, and UP grads who apply to Canada's master's program need to have master's to begin with from the Philippines. Given all these, do you feel UP-CM Admission Office even consider the differences in their evaluation process ? There is such thing as International Transcript Evaluation -- and "A" in UP is a "B" in Canadian Universities. Can you give a comment if a "B" average in Canadian degree (specifically, Engineering which is very difficult program in Canada -- a very high entrance requirement, and considered a professional program) will be competitive in foreign applicant pool (or the whole pool, if there's no separate pool for foreign applicants where foreign applicants compete within that pool) ?

Salamat.

Josh

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and have read most of the threads regarding Philippine Med Schools. I am interested in applying to UST Med Program for 2007. Does anyone know when the applications are due? Are there are fil-ams here who are in that process and would like to correspond? Thank you.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and have read most of the threads regarding Philippine Med Schools. I am interested in applying to UST Med Program for 2007. Does anyone know when the applications are due? Are there are fil-ams here who are in that process and would like to correspond? Thank you.

I am interested in UST. But may apply instead for the 2008 program. I am a Fil-Am.

Hello everyone,

i'm not sure with foreign/fil-am students but as far as i know, applications are ongoing until december (including copy of your partial transcript of records)

they release the list of eligible applicants between late february to early march next year.

Hello,

UST requires its applicants to write the UST Entrance Test (in addition to the NMAT test). MCAT can also be used in lieu of the UST ET.

Nonetheless, the UST Entrance Test is also administered in the States. The source did not have complete info. Does anyone know about the UST ET administered in the States ? When and contact info ?

Thanks.

Hello,

I just wanna make sure what's going to be on NMAT.

Will there be botany and zoology questions ? Biochemistry?

What I was told:
Organic Chem
General Chem
Biology (cell biology, genetics, microbiology, but no plants and zo-o stuff)
Physics (mechanics, kinematics, but no rotational motions -- only linear motions)
Math (Trigo, Algebra, some Geometry)
Sociology
Psychology
Verbal - Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning
Non-verbal Reasoning

The cem-inc.org.ph website does not have specific topics in each main area.
(and I haven't got my Practice Sets just yet -- they said they'll be sending soon, but hasn't arrived in the mail).

Please comment, add or subtract subtopics from the list.

Thanks.

Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm taking the NMAT in like 2 weeks in L.A. and I just took the MCAT in August. It sooo freakin different its crazy when you compare the two. I received the packets like early August and have been studying here and there. I don't have much of a zoology or botany background, the last time i took social sciences or algebra was in middle school, so I get stuck on things when it should be elementary! When are you applying?

Currently I am studying for the NMAT in October and right now I already have it in my mind that I will be in the Philippines by May going to medical school over there. I graduated from UC Irvine and my GPA wasn't the best, and I just took the MCAT in August and I have yet to receive my scores.

Honestly, I think going to medical school in the Philippines is probably the best way to go for my situation, as it would probably take longer for me to even get into a med school in the US. My cousin, a Fil-Am, graduated from UCSB, attended De La Salle, took the USMLE, and is now in his residency in Tennessee, so I KNOW its totally possible. Plus, my dad was a doctor in the Phil. (UERM is his alma mater) before coming here and taking the boards just to practice here.

My sister actually had the opportunity to go to the Philippines this summer to visit the Medical schools (De La Salle and UERM) so all of what I know is secondhand information from her. We would be going to medical school together (she's 2 yrs older than me) as well as her roommate so we would all be eachother's support. I didn't get to go because I had just graduated and I was preparing for the MCAT.

I am a little apprehensive because I feel like I don't know enough about med schools in the Philippines for me to feel sure that this is what I want to do. I want to go there without a doubt in my mind that there is a better option out there. Plus, I haven't gone to the Philippines to check out the schools (I'm planning a trip for this January) and get a taste of what my everyday life is going to be like (living situations, etc.).

I think what I'm asking for is some advice from recent Fil-Am Phil. med school graduates on how you overcame all the obstacles of just going to school abroad as far as how different it is from the US, leaving a significant other, being far away from family, how difficult it was to study for and pass the USMLE, and anything else!

hi bakekang! i must agree...no other medical school beats the u.p. college of medicine. hehe.

"dr.morgagni"
upcm 2005

I wonder what motivated Ateneo to integrate Medicine and Hospital Management since fresh grad doctors usually concentrate on the application rather than the management (business) side of it.

Best medical school campus in the country??? :rolleyes: Have you been to other schools? Have you had the chance to compare facilities, laboratories, teaching hospitals, etc?

On a side note: If you want to become a doctor, you should learn to do with what are available at you. It's not a good idea to sell medical school on the basis of having an attractive building structure. This is probably why UP, UST, CIM and PLM graduates excel in the medical profession because their students -- aside from being smart and diligent -- are industrious and do not rely on spoon-fed learning method.

If the words are true, then that wouldn't make Ateneo an attractive medical school to go to. There was a study made several years ago about the plan to house the INTARMED students of UP at Diliman campus instead of current location, Manila. INTARMED students are the Top 40 qualifiers in the UPCAT, the toughest entrance exam to beat in the whole country (less than 8% make it out of the more than 80 thousand applicants). They are perceived to be country's brightest and smartest medical students. They graduate 2 years ahead of their peers. They are the valedictorians/salutatorians of the best high schools in the Philippines. They usually make it to the Dean's List, graduate with honors and land in the top 20 in the local medical board exams. Their existence in UP is contributing to UP's enormous prestige here and abroad.

The plan was abolished. The reason: it's not conducive for medical students to be traveling from one campus to the other especially in Metro Manila because travel time is very long.

I would say that going to Ateneo medical school is worth risking if you're not smart enough to get into UP, UST, PLM and UE, but do not risk a UP or UST diploma to a new and unproven medical degree provider because becoming a doctor is not about a game of risk especially if you can afford to go to top-notched medical schools.

I hate to burse the bubbles but the BS ECE program in Ateneo was a big flap, in case you didn't know. It never produced a 100% in the local board examination. For example, only 50% of its takers passed the board exam this year. Only 12 out of 27 passed in ECE board exam last year. The year before that was their worse.

Sometimes loyalty blinds you. Sometimes, it makes you stupid.

Experience is relative. CIM students can claim theirs is the best and so are the UST students.

When it comes to reputation, nobody beats UP, whether in the Philippines or abroad. I agree that Ateneo is reputable. But come on, let's face it, it can't be the most reputable. In fact, both DLSU and UST are more reputable than Ateneo whether in the Philippines or abroad. And whether we like it or not, when it comes to reputation, nobody beats UP. In the Philippines, the UP brand name is far and away the best brand name in all of academia. No other school even comes close in terms of sheer branding. Not DLSU, not UST, not MSU, not Ateneo, not anybody. This is not a close call by any means. Whether we like it or not, UP is the most famopus and the most prestigious university in the entire Philippines. It is the only well-respected Philippine university outside of the Philippines. And, it is the only Philippine university admitted to the prestigous, Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU). Check this out: http://apru.nus.edu.sg/about/members.htm

Your peers will salute to you if you are professional in what you do. To become a professional doctor, you perform your duty as medical practitioner heartily. You do not learn this thing in management school.

hi bakekang! i must agree...no other medical school beats the u.p. college of medicine. hehe.

"dr.morgagni"
upcm 2005

What a mayabang post! Some may disagree with you, because there are other great schools out there. One thing is for certain, however, you represent your school poorly by displaying yourself in such a showy manner. Is there someone else with more humility that can represent UP rather than yourself? I would appreciate their comments better. Nothing personal, I just believe they would be more forthright and not feel a need to boast about UP. I am not sure if the 2005 means you are part of the 2005 entering class or 2005 graduating class. If you are already a physician, then I am surprised by your immature behavior.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the US$10,000 foreign fee for UST can be paid in installment basis (eg. every semester) or does it have to be paid in FULL in the beginning of first year ?

Thanks.

Foreign fees:
UST US$10,000 (resident and non-resident Alien)
UP Manila US$400 per semester (Non-resident Alien); US$200 per sem (resident Alien)
De La Salle University US$5,000 (Alien)
UERRM US$5,000 (Alien)

In UP, you can pay the foreign fee on semestral basis.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the US$10,000 foreign fee for UST can be paid in installment basis (eg. every semester) or does it have to be paid in FULL in the beginning of first year ?

Thanks.

Foreign fees:
UST US$10,000 (resident and non-resident Alien)
UP Manila US$400 per semester (Non-resident Alien); US$200 per sem (resident Alien)
De La Salle University US$5,000 (Alien)
UERRM US$5,000 (Alien)

In UP, you can pay the foreign fee on semestral basis.

Bro, di ko alam. (I dont know). But im interested in knowing too if anyone out there knows... Are you applying to UST for fall 2007?

Bro, di ko alam. (I dont know). But im interested in knowing too if anyone out there knows... Are you applying to UST for fall 2007?

Interested in an answer as well. Bump.

Does anyone know if IMG need to take the COMLEX exams or just the USMLE?

Does anyone know if IMG need to take the COMLEX exams or just the USMLE?

Isn't the COMLEX just for DO's? If so, you definitely don't need to take it. Your degree is MD, if you go outside the USA.

Isn't the COMLEX just for DO's? If so, you definitely don't need to take it. Your degree is MD, if you go outside the USA.

Yes, you're right Locutus..Comlex is for DO. I have met a few people who have graduated from UST and they are now taking or have passed their USMLEs. So its USMLE for MD, Comlex for DO.

This thing of going to UST med (as opposed to elsewhere) is really growing on me, either the school is beginning to make more sense or I'm the one who is beginning to get obssessed with it. And the more information I get about this school, the more I get excited to actually *want* it.

Although UP Manila is the cheapest on the planet, at US$500 (Php 12,500 x 2 semesters) per year tuition (US$1,000 if you add $400 semesterl foreign fee), UST is still value-for-money school.

De La Salle is in Cavite, now how far is that from Manila ? ..

The place (house/flat/condo) I wanna stay in, I'd like to be able to just walk, so I don't have to put up with the traffic, as driving to school may be inconvenient on heavy traffic (which is quite frequent in Manila) and the flood (which is quite frequent as well) -- I surmise I'd have to use my vehicle (at any event I'd buy one) only a few times in a month -- which begs the question if I should own one -- or defer until clerkship years. If I hire a driver and laundry woman, that will cost Php6,000 a month for the driver and Php 500 per week for the laundry woman.

And I'd bet I would only be going clubbing every two weeks, so a taxi is probably less hassle (if not more convenient) than owning a vehicle and worrying about driving around the City of Manila and about, vandalism, theft, collissions -- and flood. It will probably feel like an audition in Survivors in Panama, living for 10 months in each of 4 years in Manila, until the novelty wears out -- and I will feel convinced that I am in Manila. I am a student in Manila. I am a medical student in Manila. How real could that get, I will have to pinch myself to check that I'm not dreaming, because half the time, I feel I'm half-dreaming when my obsession-compulsion gets on the over-drive knowing that getting an MD in Manila is highly attainable and quite likely! And then I will enter a five-minute half-awake half-dreaming episode. And I could almost smell and feel it. And if I'm not too picky, it could very well be a shoe-in.

Studying medicine in the Philippines and tourism are not mutually exclusive. They shouldn't be and I don't want them to be -- so I hope there are no shifting exams (like in FEU) where you have to write an exam at the end of each topic or block (or whatever they'd call it there) -- because when there's lots of things to see and places to go, studying and tourism are inseparable, or else, the former takes precedence over the latter. But there is no rush for leisure and pleasure. Talking about value-for-money all-in-one: studying medicine, tourism, leisure, pleasure, and at the end of it all, an MD degree.

Damn, this going to Philippine medical school thing is growing on me. I couldn't believe it. This is gotta be the least inexpensive medical school on the planet.

Help, I'm obssessed.

:)

This thing of going to UST med (as opposed to elsewhere) is really growing on me, either the school is beginning to make more sense or I'm the one who is beginning to get obssessed with it. And the more information I get about this school, the more I get excited to actually *want* it.

Although UP Manila is the cheapest on the planet, at US$500 (Php 12,500 x 2 semesters) per year tuition (US$1,000 if you add $400 semesterl foreign fee), UST is still value-for-money school.

The place (house/flat/condo) I wanna stay in, I'd like to be able to just walk, so I don't have to put up with the traffic, as driving to school may be inconvenient on heavy traffic (which is quite frequent in Manila) and the flood (which is quite frequent as well) -- I surmise I'd have to use my vehicle (at any event I'd buy one) only a few times in a month -- which begs the question if I should own one -- or defer until clerkship years. If I hire a driver and laundry woman, that will cost Php6,000 a month for the driver and Php 500 per week for the laundry woman.

And I'd bet I would only be going clubbing every two weeks, so a taxi is probably less hassle (if not more convenient) than owning a vehicle and worrying about driving around the City of Manila and about, vandalism, theft, collissions -- and flood. It will probably feel like an audition in Survivors in Panama, living for 10 months in each of 4 years in Manila, until the novelty wears out -- and I will feel convinced that I am in Manila. I am a student in Manila. I am a medical student in Manila. How real could that get, I will have to pinch myself to check that I'm not dreaming, because half the time, I feel I'm half-dreaming when my obsession-compulsion gets on the over-drive knowing that getting an MD in Manila is highly attainable and quite likely! And then I will enter a five-minute half-awake half-dreaming episode. And I could almost smell and feel it. And if I'm not too picky, it could very well be a shoe-in.

Studying medicine in the Philippines and tourism are not mutually exclusive. They shouldn't be and I don't want them to be -- so I hope there are no shifting exams (like in FEU) where you have to write an exam at the end of each topic or block (or whatever they'd call it there) -- because when there's lots of things to see and places to go, studying and tourism are inseparable, or else, the former takes precedence over the latter. But there is no rush for leisure and pleasure. Talking about value-for-money all-in-one: studying medicine, tourism, leisure, pleasure, and at the end of it all, an MD degree.

Damn, this going to Philippine medical school thing is growing on me. I couldn't believe it. This is gotta be the least inexpensive medical school on the planet.

Help, I'm obssessed.

Help, I'm obssessed.

I am interested in UST too. Perhaps, I will be one year behind you. I am a Fil-AM.

Am obsessed as well- thing is, UP really sets the balance when it comes to tuition and quality education (that includes the good practice as well)

UST is excellent when it comes to the theoreticals and patient- doctor interaction- hats off to the highest levels not to mention the school spirit unlike UP

In line with this, the discussion in the forum is getting a little hot just from what AurA said (kawawa naman yung tao, baradong barado na). Its just for the sake of school spirit guys.

To those who are also OBSESSED in entering UST, application forms are in- its already october so for the second batch of surnames, please submit them already to the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. They are already filing (not giving) the applications so hurry.

If ever Ill be goint to UST- hello classmates na lang ang masasabi ko

DLSU-Medicine is about 25 miles south of Manila, in the town of Dasmariñas, in the province of Cavite.

rey

Help, I'm obssessed.

there may be "other" great schools out there, but i was just stating a well-known fact that nothing really beats UP medicine.

and if you don't have an "M.D." after your name yet, i don't think i should even argue with you.

dr. morgagni

What a mayabang post! Some may disagree with you, because there are other great schools out there. One thing is for certain, however, you represent your school poorly by displaying yourself in such a showy manner. Is there someone else with more humility that can represent UP rather than yourself? I would appreciate their comments better. Nothing personal, I just believe they would be more forthright and not feel a need to boast about UP. I am not sure if the 2005 means you are part of the 2005 entering class or 2005 graduating class. If you are already a physician, then I am surprised by your immature behavior.

being accepted into UST is a good thing.

graduating from it is the best feeling & experience you'll ever had.

take it from me. it was the best 4 years of my academic life. :)

plus, i love the campus - buidlings, gardens, christmas lights (can't wait for it. december's fast approaching).