filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
masaya said:
Hello,

I posted this on a thread, but was anxious to hear from someone. Read a couple of your posts and seems like you're a Fil-Am that's attended/still attending UST.

I wanted to know if it was difficult adjusting to life in the Philippines. I was born there, but left at a young age. I've vacationed there, but spent most of it in air conditioned homes, cars, malls, etc., i.e., never exprienced true weather. I know money goes a long way in terms of comfort, but I personally will have some financial constraints. So... before I commit to 4 or 5 years there, I'd like to hear the worst case scenarios. Of course I'm committed to med and it'll be more than worth it, but... just want to be prepared. BTW, I do speak Tagalog so figure that'll go a long way.

More specifically, heard there is flooding in the UST area... is it really so common, and how severe? Are there affordable, safe, quiet living accomodations nearby?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks much.

Now to answer someones pm..which i think would be helpful for others...

Since you know tagalog..you'll be fine really. Only ones who have a problem are filams who don't really. But you get buy of course

Well adjusting..there are lots of thing.
1. Getting used to the peso rate...because i'm used to dollars all my life..it's one of the things i still ahve problem. I usually adjust to dollars still.
2. Airconitioned areas...well while yes it's a 3rd world country. It does get really bad and you need to get use to the warmer weather for awhile. When your outside you sweat. But like when you go to school...normally classes are cool and you don't have to worry about it. For me only during anatomy lab do i have problems with it being hot since it's not really aircondition since they have to ventilate it. Also we study at like coffee places..so yeah it's airconditioned. We even call one starbucks..the frozen tundra..and yes i bring a thick sweater there when i study. For school..you don't ahve to worry about it..it's just when your out of the building..and when i go to like malls and stuff i really don't sweat so don't know..unless you sweat a lot. It's not really a problem...only when your not indoors.
3. Let see going out...hmm you'll have to say goodbye to most of your beers...but like san mig isn't all that bad. Also it's cheaper if you get local stuff.. Movie theaters are nicer..but sometiems they have ******ed film version that skip sometimes litterally..which irritates me. Since i got here some movies come here immediately like star wars 3 came fast and others that are important lets say. Like harry potter will be here the opening week...some of course really take a long time. Like example fever pitch..was in dvd in the states and like just came out last month.
4. Financially look into a stafford loan..for schooling...some of my friends have it. It'll help..since it's like 18,500 i think subsidized and unsubsidzed
5. Cell phone..i'd be honest go to tmobile get the phone you like there or any other company that uses sim..get it fixed and work over here. It's basically the same. I remember someone telling me dont' worry about phones it's cheaper in the phillippines...blah. There are ones over in teh states i like from tmobile like the sidekick..that you can't find here really.
6. One thing that you really have to get used to is wearing uniforms...it get's very bland after awhile. While yes..you know exactly what to wear when you wake up...it gets boring. Also seeing the opposite sex...yeah...not flatter for girls lets just say. That's a big adjustment hahah since i'm used to having color in my life...not just white.
7. Dating...ask your parents or friends...litterally big adjustment...courting girls...dating in general...like for example depending on the type of girl you going out with..the good girls...getting the first kiss can be a good bit of a wait..not like in the states were you can get it in the first date.
8. Getting a haircut..man it can take awhile..since yeah..they use scissors sometimes instead of the razors..even if they have one...and it's much better haircut and cleaner well to me. But you might need to bring a picture of what you want..because they might not know what hair style you have or want. hahah that was one of my big adjustment..took awhile to find one who knows what i want and can do it well
9. Taxi..that's what is my worse experience...since they hella get picky sometimes if you wanna go somewhere so sometiems it takes awhile to find one who'll get you from UST to wherever. Worse case was waiting like 1 hour outside for a silly cab. Generally going from Makati or whatever to UST it's pretty fast. Some have drivers..i'm considreing getting a car myself haha.
10. Books..of course it's weird here..some are xeroxed some are international version. But i would recommend a good anatomy book with pictures from the states...of course grey's is good but it's hella big. There is one that is really good i'd recommend..since i'm borrowing it from one of teh 2nd years..it has a good disccected versoin for anatomy practicals.
11. Directions/Map..since i'm one of those that drive in teh staes i get used to streets and stuff because i drive it and learn it myself. When i'm in a cab, i get lazy so usually talk or whatever so i still knwo what it looks like if i'm going the right way..but don't know the streets i'm drving at...i got to get better at that haah

To be honest...i really don't have any problems here. It's okay here...just got to get used to things. Your dollar stretches farther...but like don't ask me really. I sort of work still in the dollar world here..so i don't have that much problems when it comes to worry about money. So my experience wouldn't be really good to compare too. Because typical schedule honestly is school..go to a coffee house in another part via taxi...during the weekend i'm usually in makati. Going out usually da fort or makati. Luckily knock on wood nothing really bad has happened to me. After getting used to thing so course. Going out is fun when you go out...if you go to ust..you'll have a good filam base since it's one of the bigger population out here. From what i see..since we all go out or from the ones that do on the occasional week we can go out..which honestly isn't. Also if your from a big city...then club fees are really cheap..sometimes i just spend 30 dollars on drinks and entrance..even if we go to a karokee bar..somethign you got to get used to hhahah. I think honestly you'll enjoy it here..remember 1 year in america medical school...literally is 4 years in school here...that's a big point you need to really consider.

Question about safe, living.
Yeah..they have guards...just know which type of person you are first when you decide to look for place to stay. If you are the type that study with groups..then don't go crazy with a nice place just something nice. becuase honestly sometimes you only come home just to sleep, shower, and change of clothes. Some places even have liek a study area in the actual building which is nice since you can mingle with others and just go downstairs to study. If your that type of person of course...just know what type of person you are. As compare to afforadable...like it ranges of course...but you can find one like less than $200 american if you want to be alone...of course sharing makes it loads cheaper. Really just ask one of us if you really are consdiering which place to stay at. Just make sure it's high. Some of my friends live in condos nearby which are nice.

Now something you might want to look into while still in the states:
The biggest hastle some of my friends have is Student VISA and immigration. Ask phlipsquad about this, but it's hella a problem for some of my friends. For me luckily when i was asked what i was goign to declare if dual citizen or student my dad called one of his friends and had it done the next day.

But some of my friends have to pay stupid fees, have to go through stupid hassles, skip class sometimes just to do paperword or checkups or what not. I really don't know honestly. Also, you'd have to go through these hassle a lot. I have one friend who pays like every 2 months like 100 american becuase of her student visa thing. Or from what i'm told she's a filam who is from china..so dont' know if that made a difference. It's like a cash cow for them i think.

But if you decide to consider looking into dual citizenship...go to one of the embassy in america. I heard from another filam, it took him 1 week for it get done there. Which i would highly recommend, unless you know people of course i guess..not sure about this one. But in the phillippines, i was told it was suppose to take roughly 6 months.

Also as to the foreign fee in UST being decreased...even if your dual citizen..they have one loop hole which u can't go around. I tried becuase i don't like wasting money and was hoping to get a fee less thatn 10k american. But the loop hole the got me...even though i was dual citizen is i graduated from a foreign school. So yeah..that will stop you unless you went to school in the phillippines like some of the filam or foreign students (like korean, chinese, arabic country, india, and etc) transfered here (like UST or some other school) sometimes just for their last year to go around that loophole.

Well i think that answers most of the stuff..i hope it help..sorry everyone for two loooooong post..have fun and ingat

GoldenAzn

Members don't see this ad.

Hey GoldenAzn or anyone in the know,

I, too, heard about the hassle of having the student visa. However, I do have a question concerning the dual citizenship. Lets say you obtain your dual citizenship, graduate from med school, then come back to the US to practice. Are you still subject to the Philippines income tax?? Or are you immune if you work in a different country?? I just don't want to be paying income taxes to two countries in the long run.

just wanted to see from med students from the philippines that are FILAMS if the admissions commitees at schools like UE and UST are strict on their percentile cutoffs for gaining acceptances for the school. OR is it basically a formality because the schools wouldn't want to turn down the $10,000 donation fee. so basically, filams, out of formality sake is required to the NMAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
TheRealBigChirs - All Filipinos who work overseas don't pay taxes to the Philippines.

PhiPsi1 - UST is strict with it's cutoff score. As you can see from the post of GoldenAzn, passing each year is a struggle and definitely not a piece of cake.

For people who are going to Fatima just to party, it's still advisable to study hard. Just use your extra time to prepare well for the USMLE. Use your time well and gear your studies for the USMLE, otherwise you are just wasting your time and money there.

For all you medical students that plan to study near the university belt, and need a place to stay, please check out www.ubelt.net. It is walking distance to San Beda & FEU and not far from UST and UE. It is very secure as it is located inside the Malacanang Palace compound ( presidential palace ).

I am aware that U.S. citizens can recieve financial aid to attend FATIMA. I am also aware that you can borrow up to $18,500 through sub and unsub loans through the dept. of education. Does anyone know if you can borrow the entire amount (18,500) as a student at FATIMA or is the student aid budget for foreigners at that school less then that? I am curious as their site says you can attend for 9,000 including room and board. If anyone is familiar with this aspect of financial aid please let me know. thanks.

something out of topic..

ENJOY YOUR SEM BREAK!

coz when you're already in the hospital (especially during clerkship year), you'll be definitely looking/wishing for it.

First off, CONGRATS! Sounds like a dream come true... Was hoping you could share a little about the cost of doing 4th year in the US thru UERM. I know they let you do the whole year in the US thru an affiliate. So, besides cost of living, are there additional expenses, i.e., higher tuition or extra program costs? Thanks in advance...

AND, congrats again. That is mind boggling to me that you at least have the opportunity to interview with Yale... I mean, YALE! Best of luck and look forward to future posts w/ updates.

DocTan said:
Hi all! I am pleased to report that I received a couple of more interview offers for general surgery. I am just so excited because I have been offered an interview to Yale for categorical general surgery. I hope I make it. Oh yeah, the other offer was from Union Memorial in Baltimore, MD.

masaya said:
First off, CONGRATS! Sounds like a dream come true... Was hoping you could share a little about the cost of doing 4th year in the US thru UERM. I know they let you do the whole year in the US thru an affiliate. So, besides cost of living, are there additional expenses, i.e., higher tuition or extra program costs? Thanks in advance...

AND, congrats again. That is mind boggling to me that you at least have the opportunity to interview with Yale... I mean, YALE! Best of luck and look forward to future posts w/ updates.

Hi masaya!. Masaya ako din! Yale is definitely a dream come true. I have my interview on Jan 18th. Unfortunately, I am from california and I would like to be closer to home so U of Washington is my first choice right now.

Tuition cost in the US. UERM requires that we pay for our tuition at UERM and the cost of tuition in the US. This required for CHED since we are still under UERM while rotating in the US. Here is a break down of the entire cost for my 4 years in the PI (tuition only)...gimmicks not included...hehe!

1st year- 55,000 pesos/sem= 110,000/yr + $10,000 donation fee for non-Filipino citizens.
2nd year- 58,000 pesos/sem= 116,000/yr
3rd year- 62,000 pesos/sem= 124,000/yr
4th year- 66,000 pesos/sem= 132,000/yr + $6250 tuition fee for St. john's + $600 tuition fee at Mt. Sinai school of Medicine (2 rotations) + unknown cost for Norwegian American Hospitals (haven't paid yet).

St. John's- $250/wk (ie 6 months rotation is $6000)
Mt. Sinai- $300/4wks (ie 8 weeks is $600)
Norwegian American Hospital- unknown. I will get back to you on that.

I know that it is more expensive to rotate in the US. But it was well worth it for me. I got a letter of recommendation from the Chairmen at St. John's and he even call Yale for me to give me a high recommendation. I tried to get our chief of clinicals at UERM to call, but the Program Director at Yale said UERM? Who? Where???? if you get my point. So US clinical experience is essential in getting into a competitive specialty. FP, IM, Peds, or any primary care residency might be easier to get into and USCE is not as important. In the end, it is all up to you and what you goals are.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any information regarding Silliman University Medical School. Please pm me if you know anything good or bad.

-hi guys! how's life for the past month? i hope you guys are still hanging around! anyways, have a great sem. break vacation! coz we deserve this break! and for those who didn't do good from last sem.. don't give up! just try harder next sem. just try to remember that good doctors aren't the ones who aced the all the subjects in med school. but the ones who are really passionate for thier work and who truly do care ofr their patients. Happy halloween!

surething1 said:
Just wondering if anyone out there has any information regarding Silliman University Medical School. Please pm me if you know anything good or bad.
Silliman is a good in many programs (Nursing, Accounting, and other courses) but their medical school just started. So the jury is still out and we may not know for a few years.

So I've finally clued in to the fact that this is THE forum to get quick, informative replies re: filipino med schools. Thx again to Golden for replying to my PM re: adj to life in the PI... and to DocTan about 4th yr costs in the US.

Hopefully someone can answer this one... is it possible to defer one year if accepted to UST? I'd love to go next year, but my life's a tad tipsy turvy these days, so I might not be able to start until June 2007. I figured I'd apply just in case, but if I can't defer, that doesn't seem practical given all tedious steps involved because I'm a "foreign student".

BTW, I'm sure most people already know this, but UERM is not eligible for U.S. fed loans. Was waiting for in-person visits before deciding between UST and UE, but guess I'll just be applying to UST. Hope I get in :p

Members don't see this ad :)
masaya said:
So I've finally clued in to the fact that this is THE forum to get quick, informative replies re: filipino med schools. Thx again to Golden for replying to my PM re: adj to life in the PI... and to DocTan about 4th yr costs in the US.

Hopefully someone can answer this one... is it possible to defer one year if accepted to UST? I'd love to go next year, but my life's a tad tipsy turvy these days, so I might not be able to start until June 2007. I figured I'd apply just in case, but if I can't defer, that doesn't seem practical given all tedious steps involved because I'm a "foreign student".

BTW, I'm sure most people already know this, but UERM is not eligible for U.S. fed loans. Was waiting for in-person visits before deciding between UST and UE, but guess I'll just be applying to UST. Hope I get in :p

One of my friends told me she got in the year before..but decide to go the next year.. she's in my class with us right now. But she got accepted the year before i believe. So just asked them if it's okay, or that your considering going the year after for ust that is.

Yeah UERM isn't one of the schoool that does the fafsa..it's only like fatima and ust i believe that does the stafford loan if that is one thing your considering for going to med school in the phillippines. I believe also filam wise there are more filams in ust from what i get..and it does help having something in common to be honest. Well if there are UE filams they are really quiet and don't go out much..from what i see since i only know one ue person. But depends on you. if it really makes an effect. Well good luck whatever you decide. Take care.

GoldenAzn said:
One of my friends told me she got in the year before..but decide to go the next year.. she's in my class with us right now. But she got accepted the year before i believe. So just asked them if it's okay, or that your considering going the year after for ust that is.

Yeah UERM isn't one of the schoool that does the fafsa..it's only like fatima and ust i believe that does the stafford loan if that is one thing your considering for going to med school in the phillippines. I believe also filam wise there are more filams in ust from what i get..and it does help having something in common to be honest. Well if there are UE filams they are really quiet and don't go out much..from what i see since i only know one ue person. But depends on you. if it really makes an effect. Well good luck whatever you decide. Take care.

GoldenAzn and Masaya are right. Fatima and UST are the only medical schools in the PI that are eligible for Federal Aid. So if you need Financial Aid I would recommend going to those two schools. And GoldeAZn...thats funny that UERM students are quiet...because PBL gives us so much time to go out. I think I went out every weekend for my three years at UERM. Too bad I didn't get to meet you. :)

Thx for the reply Golden... I'm waiting for an email reply from Dr. Mercado for details about the deferral, but get kind of impatient for answers sometimes. Relieved to hear about your friend's experience. It would be kind of a hassle and impractical to re-do all those notorized docs and the police clearance. But I did take the advice on the dual citizenship... took less than a week but I'm sure will save lots of further problems.

Anyway, HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone. Although, I'm personally semi-cramming for NMAT and skipping the costume parties... which I know is lame, but oh well. Just timed myself today and I'm not finishing those stupid puzzles in time. Good luck to everyone else taking the NMAT in LA next Sat :)

Hey guys,

Just curious about everyone's CV. I know med school is generally a busy time for everyone but did any of you guys do any extracurriculars to fatten your CV a bit such as volunteer/community work or research? Or do most people's CVs consist of just class grades and clerkship grades?

Masaya - good luck on the nmat.... I'll be taking it next saturday in LA too

masaya said:
Thx for the reply Golden... I'm waiting for an email reply from Dr. Mercado for details about the deferral, but get kind of impatient for answers sometimes. Relieved to hear about your friend's experience. It would be kind of a hassle and impractical to re-do all those notorized docs and the police clearance. But I did take the advice on the dual citizenship... took less than a week but I'm sure will save lots of further problems.

Anyway, HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone. Although, I'm personally semi-cramming for NMAT and skipping the costume parties... which I know is lame, but oh well. Just timed myself today and I'm not finishing those stupid puzzles in time. Good luck to everyone else taking the NMAT in LA next Sat :)

It might take awhile for the reply maybe becuase we're on break right now for classes.

Gl on anyone taking the NMAT soon.

Hehhe..maybe it's becuase we study at the same starbucks typically and UE studies somewhere else hehe. We do occasionally go out together..saying fatima and ust...but i dunno if that's because those two schools generally have a bigger filam class..so i'm not sure.

In case anyone else wanted to know about deferring, this was the response from Dr. Mercado from UST:

[You'd better wait till you are sure about your plans. You might just be wasting time and effort if you apply now and not really enroll.

The police clearance must be from your present residence.*

We always keep the documents in cases such as yours who may defer their enrollment. However, you need to re-apply.

Dr Mercado]

* This was addressing my question to him about moving to another state w/in the year.

any third years here from UST? just want to ask if you still use Bates' Guide to Phusical Exam and History taking in Medicine II and if that's what you studied for all the shifting exams. I never really paid that much attention to it and i think i'm paying the price!!! please help!

Thanks Masaya for informing us that only UST and Fatima are FAFSA eligible.
I want to know how people pay for UERM, FEU, DLSU, etc.? I want to attend UERM (because of PBL) but I cannot pay for it from my own pocket and noone can help me pay for it. Are Fil-Ams studying at UERM or DLSU paying from their (or mom/dad's) pockets? Can we use private loans? If not then I guess its just UST and Fatima for me.

thirdclius said:
Thanks Masaya for informing us that only UST and Fatima are FAFSA eligible.
I want to know how people pay for UERM, FEU, DLSU, etc.? I want to attend UERM (because of PBL) but I cannot pay for it from my own pocket and noone can help me pay for it. Are Fil-Ams studying at UERM or DLSU paying from their (or mom/dad's) pockets? Can we use private loans? If not then I guess its just UST and Fatima for me.
This is from a previous post of GoldenAzn (It's not only Fatima and UST)
I don't know if this helps but these are the school in the phillipines that are Title IV schools.

UST, Angeles University Foundation, Asian Institution of Managment(no Med School), FATIMA, and SILLIMAN.

So you know fatima isn't the only one if stafford loan (financial aid in the us) is an implication of basis for you choosing which school to attend.[/QUOTE}

tantrum said:
This is from a previous post of GoldenAzn (It's not only Fatima and UST)
I don't know if this helps but these are the school in the phillipines that are Title IV schools.

UST, Angeles University Foundation, Asian Institution of Managment(no Med School), FATIMA, and SILLIMAN.

So you know fatima isn't the only one if stafford loan (financial aid in the us) is an implication of basis for you choosing which school to attend.[/QUOTE}

The reason why i put UST and Fatima as the schools for stafford loan was becuase of the fact they were medical school you might be looking into. Silliman i'm not so sure if they have a medical school or not yet...and don't know exactly that you can get a stafford loan for that.

Trust me...getting your school recognize by your state is hard. I was the only one from florida so far..so it's hella hard to get it done. Took a whole semester and just got the forms finally signed. Sad part it was one hella form..stupid. And sent it fedex...so basically that's info for you. But like for schools where there are typical filams coming here..like california, new york, and new jersey it was easy for them. They just had to sign one form and send it. That's assuming someone from an earlier year did the hard work of doing the paperwork and get yoru school recognize. Each state has to recognize your school...unless someone has before...since the state's educational department (or somethign like that) will be your guarator for the lease..through stafford loan. Also know..you are probably going to be your own financial aid person..and doing the hard work. My old school they did everything...but some school in us...you were the financial aid person for paperwork sending and filling out..so don't know how use to doing student aid are you. Also who knows you might actually get grants depending if you qualify for any from the states. Sorry i don't know how this work..i wasn't qualified for it.

As to concern about other school..since one of the peeps here are considering UERM for medical school and are worried about funding. I assume either mom or dad..or someone else is paying for their stuff. OR...they got a private loan. Or you can use credit cards...but of course that's hella stupid since the interests rates will kill you. Becuase i think one of the options was to pay your tution through a credit card if you want...well in ust when i enrolled it was.

One of my friends, who is a filam, chosed to get a private loan for his own reason. But of course you can shop probably better for a low interest rate which is good. Anyways, he is attending UST right now with a private loan..so if your credit is good..or your parent's or someone yet again can get it..then you can pay through private loan. I don't think any of the schools really care how you pay for it..as long as you have the money.

Reason why some people are interested in going through the Stafford loan is the loan interest rate...for one thing. The other reason is the fact the subsidized loan of up to 8,500 i believe it is...the government pays for your interest rates while you in school. So let say it takes you 4 years to go to school here..so that's 34,000 which is pretty nice..considering that's one year of medical school for a public or something in US. When you graduate you own still like 34,000 and the interest starts then..compare to if you had get interest compounded. Also another reason why people choose the stafford loan is the fact they won't have to pay until like i think 6 months after you graduate..sorry i don't really know i've never took a loan before. So that's the two reason why one might choose the stafford loan the money save from not having to pay for interest for the first 8,500...and then also not having to pay one payment til a few months after you graduate. Final reason would be some people...not saying you would..but some don't have a good credit history because of whatever reason so they can't get a private loan. But that's the reason why a stafford is better i guess..not sure if anyone has any other reasons.

Also you can still of course get like 10k more for unsubsidized for a total of 18,500...but like it has interest added on it for the 10k. But you don't have to pay til like after you graduate again...unless you choose the option of paying while in school..up to you of course.

But looking at the private loan. Of course you have to pay for every penny including the interest while your in school. Also, you have to factor the fact someone...if not you..have to pay for the loan already..they might wait of course..but i don't think any private loan will wait 4 years or so for you to graduate then you have to pay the first time. Besides the fact that you have to get a loan every year..which can be a hassle..unless of course you get one loan one time. But again i've never really taken a loan in my life..so like i'm not the one who can answer this good.

Also...a little added stuff about PBL..I'm basing this on the 4th years i met. But they told me they couldn't take the usmle part 1 (until your done with school) becuase with the pbl circulum you won't be prepared for it by the end of your 2nd year. But of course that's only pretains to you if your considering taking the first part at the end of 2nd year. I heard of some who take the first part pass it with a great score and try to come back to the states. But of course that is hard to do. UST was PBL but changed to integrated i believe.

Good luck whichever you decide on...it's really you that can make or break you. Hope my little two cent helps some. Take care

GoldenAzn said:
Also...a little added stuff about PBL..I'm basing this on the 4th years i met. But they told me they couldn't take the usmle part 1 (until your done with school) becuase with the pbl circulum you won't be prepared for it by the end of your 2nd year.

true! but some plan to take the 1st step of the USMLE prior to the local boards so that their review will be like "hitting 2 exams with just 1 review" (or something to that effect).

A big thank you to Tantrum for clearing up the question about which schools are eligible for US financial aid. I think that information is also posted deep in the old posts. But instead of searching and reading, people were just posting what they thought was true and presenting it as fact. I hope those people are suitably embarrassed.

Which is better? Traditional or PBL? Well, in MY OPINION...neither. These are teaching methods from that great waffling discipline known as Education. Education as a discipline is the unending search to try to make learning easier. And, in my opinion (again), it is the discipline most prone to trends, fashions, and politics.

Perhaps one has the edge over the other, much as powerpoint presentations are a little snappier that old-fashioned transparencies. But try not to let this questions make you lose track of what's REALLY important...competent teaching, and (most important!) lots and lots of hard work on the part of the student.

If you think that the Traditional/PBL question is an important one, then bone up on the history of educational teaching methods in America over the last fifty years. You will see that the same methods come and go, change names, get combined, go out of fashion, come back into fashion...etc. All in the rather naive hope that we can somehow take the hard work out of study.

If someone is in a PBL program and they tell you that it is easier than traditional, then I suggest that you tell them that they are missing the point of the PBL structure and that they are probably not studying hard enough (geniuses excepted).

Does PBL prepare you for the USMLE? Sure it does. Most definitely, for Step 1 anyway. Take a review manual for the USMLE, Step 1. Read the sample tests. Categorize the questions. You will find that the questions match up with the 1st and 2nd year curriculum in both Traditional and PBL.

Of course, the USMLE also requires a great deal of study outside of class time, whether you are in a Trad or PBL program.

I find that most students attending Filipino med schools are afraid of the USMLE. Also it's quite expensive. So, if a student hasn't prepared properly, then the only rational thing to do is to postpone taking it for a while. But too many students seem to postpone, and postpone, and postpone, and then take Step 1 at the end of fourth year or later.

Hey, I sympathize. I can procrastinate with the best of them, but don't let those fourth year students talk you into believing that the curriculum is the problem. They are just rationalizing, and that is a defence mechanism, and that's a part of first year curriculum in both Trad and PBL, and that's a USMLE Step 1 topic.

Don't believe me...pick up a review manual and check for yourselves!

Thank you for your help. I am still waiting for response from the schools.

fozzy40 said:
Thank you for your help. I am still waiting for response from the schools.

Gl on getting in.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! :)

Hi spartan Doc, i am just new here,, i just want to ask you if you have any idea about my situation,,i am from the philippines and i studied my first year college at FEU, i want to apply there again, i'm currently enrolled here at OCC in Los Angeles,i'm just hoping to come back,tnx for ur time,

Hi everyone,

If you attend UST, will you be ready to take the USMLE after your 2nd year? How many fil-ams at UST students have actually done that?

I have pretty much decided to apply to Fatima, but I still have a number of questions Specific to OLFU, is there anyone here from Fatima that can asist me? I would be very gratefull. Thank You! :)

mas100 said:
I am also thinking aobut applying to medical school out there. the person I talk to in newYork favoring Fatima(might be shool representative). I do not know about the quality of school, however when I talk to several immigrant from there, they are indicating that Fatima is not a good school. I think the only way to find out is to visit school or possibly find a graduate. let me konw about your decision.

hi mas...if youre considering to pursue med, i think you better keep your options open, and Ask students who actually go there (not school representatives). and if you're willing to pay a lot amount of money for med, think u better search for Quality schools.

jokii2ash said:
Hi everyone,

If you attend UST, will you be ready to take the USMLE after your 2nd year? How many fil-ams at UST students have actually done that?

is usmle applicable for fil-am students or aslo for locals?

jokii2ash said:
Hi everyone,

Some students there said they took it after their 3rd year as some subjects are not yet covered during their 2nd year. Most local students actually take it after their graduation.

surghan said:
is usmle applicable for fil-am students or aslo for locals?
It's for anyone who wants to do their residency in the US (locals or Fil-Ams). Most locals do it after their boards or internship.

Congratulations to all my fellow Doctors of Medicine who'll be graduating this month & next month!!

Hi Folks...well I have been posting on this link for awhile. I think my journey started 2 years ago when I started posting about the USMLE step 1. I hope all my past posts have been helpful. I am here to share my experience with the match and how I got a residency position in the USA.

First of all, I would like to say that it is possible to match right after you graduate from a Philippine med school. So Senior-Internship is not required (I'm speaking to the US citizens/GC). Visa holders are a whole other story. I started out by taking my USMLE steps early. I took step 1 after 2nd year, step 2ck during 3rd year and step 2cs during 4th year. (I have to mention that all steps must be completed before dec 31st of the year before you are planning to graduate...ie for me dec 2005).

What may complicate matching right after you graduate is interviewing with the prospective hospitals that you applied to. I am fortunate because I was able to do my junior internship year in the US so I was able to attend my inteviews without too much trouble. If you do your entire J-I in the Philippines I guess matching is not a possibility or will be an extreme challenge. If you can't do your entire year in the US at least try to do some of the clinicals in the US during the months of Nov-Jan because this is the time hospitals will interview for the match. I recommend being in the states during this time.

The most important thing to do in order to get matched from a Philippine school is:
1. get your application in on the first day ERAS can send your application to the hospitals applied to.(ie I recommend having at least your step 1 and 2ck scores in before sept 1).
2. Apply to a broad spectrum of hospitals-community based and university based. (ie spend the money to apply to as many hospitals as your wallet can afford).
3. Attend all of the interviews you are invited to. The more interviews the more hospitals you can rank
4. Prepare for the interviews (ie know why you want to go into a certain specialty) You can use Iserson's guide to getting into a residency.
5. Lastly, rank as many hospitals that you are comfortable going to. The more on your ROL the better chance you have of matching.

These are the steps that I did. I am sure their are other ways of doing it. But I found success with this formula. I ended up matching at Temple University, Categorical General Surgery.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

DocTan said:
Hi Folks...well I have been posting on this link for awhile. I think my journey started 2 years ago when I started posting about the USMLE step 1. I hope all my past posts have been helpful. I am here to share my experience with the match and how I got a residency position the USA.

First of all, I would like to say that it is possible to match right after you graduate from a Philippine med school. So Senior-Internship is not required (I'm speaking to the US citizens/GC). Visa holders are a whole other story. I started out by taking my USMLE steps early. I took step 1 after 2nd year, step 2ck during 3rd year and step 2cs during 4th year. (I have to mention that all steps must be completed before dec 31st of the year before you are planning to graduate...ie for me dec 2005).

What may complicate matching right after you graduate is interviewing with the prospective hospitals that you applied to. I am fortunate because I was able to do my junior internship year in the US so I was able to attend my inteviews without too much trouble. If you do your entire J-I in the Philippines I guess matching is not a possibility or will be an extreme challenge. If you can't do your entire year in the US at least try to do some of the clinicals in the US during the months of Nov-Jan because this is the time hospitals will interview for the match. I recommend being in the states during this time.

The most important thing to do in order to get matched from a Philippine school is:
1. get your application in on the first day ERAS can send your application to the hospitals applied to.(ie I recommend having at least your step 1 and 2ck scores in before sept 1).
2. Apply to a broad spectrum of hospitals-community based and university based. (ie spend the money to apply to as many hospitals as your wallet can afford).
3. Attend all of the interviews you are invited to. The more interviews the more hospitals you can rank
4. Prepare for the interviews (ie know why you want to go into a certain specialty) You can use Iserson's guide to getting into a residency.
5. Lastly, rank as many hospitals that you are comfortable going to. The more on your ROL the better chance you have of matching.

These are the steps that I did. I am sure their are other ways of doing it. But I found success with this formula. I ended up matching at Temple University, Categorical General Surgery.

Congratulations DocTan. What’s the difference between a preliminary and categorical residency?

gil t azel said:
Congratulations DocTan. What’s the difference between a preliminary and categorical residency?

categorical means that you matched into a 5 year program. That means you will finished the program and will not be kicked out after 1 year. (ie that is if you don't mess up too bad). For surgery this is important because most surgery programs elimated the pyramid system and all categoricals who start will become chief and graduate.

prelim means that you are only guaranteed 1 year of internship/residency. You may be offered a 2nd or 3rd year of residency and in some cases prelims prove themselves and become categoricals but their is no guarantee to become a chief and graduate the program.

DocTan said:
categorical means that you matched into a 5 year program. That means you will finished the program and will not be kicked out after 1 year. (ie that is if you don't mess up too bad). For surgery this is important because most surgery programs elimated the pyramid system and all categoricals who start will become chief and graduate.

prelim means that you are only guaranteed 1 year of internship/residency. You may be offered a 2nd or 3rd year of residency and in some cases prelims prove themselves and become categoricals but their is no guarantee to become a chief and graduate the program.

-hi, i would just like to ask about the process for non-US citizen to get a spot for residency in the US. is it conplicated or it's really tough? thanks

Congratulations DocTan! We're so proud of you!! :thumbup:
Mabuhay si DocTan! ;)
DocTan said:
Hi Folks...well I have been posting on this link for awhile. I think my journey started 2 years ago when I started posting about the USMLE step 1. I hope all my past posts have been helpful. I am here to share my experience with the match and how I got a residency position the USA.

hnerypaoho said:
-hi, i would just like to ask about the process for non-US citizen to get a spot for residency in the US. is it conplicated or it's really tough? thanks

Hi Henry. I hope your are doing well over at FEU. US citizens/GC holders have a slight advantage over those who are seeking visas. However, if you view the 2006 match stats, US IMG's vs non-US IMG's, the matching percentages were almost the same. (ie USIMG's 50% vs non-US IMG's 48%). The process to get into residency as a visa holder is exactly the same as for US IMG's. However, you are limited in the programs in which you can apply to because the program has to sponsor either a J1 visa or H1b visa or both.

anyone attending UST or FATIMA who has first hand knowledge of using FAFSA to get loans please pm me. I have been getting differing stories on how much one can borrow and for how many years and I need to talk with someone who has relatively current knowledge of the process. i know what the fafsa website says so please dont speculate people, i need someone who has been there done that and even better if currently doing it. PM ME PLEASE!!!

DocTan said:
Hi Henry. I hope your are doing well over at FEU. US citizens/GC holders have a slight advantage over those who are seeking visas. However, if you view the 2006 match stats, US IMG's vs non-US IMG's, the matching percentages were almost the same. (ie USIMG's 50% vs non-US IMG's 48%). The process to get into residency as a visa holder is exactly the same as for US IMG's. However, you are limited in the programs in which you can apply to because the program has to sponsor either a J1 visa or H1b visa or both.

-thanks for the for info Doc Tan. anyways, i should deal with my studies first before thinking of the matching thing.. coz we all the know that whether US or PHIL med schools. they all give us the same education that we need. we just have to manage it. and for those other med students in the phil, congratulations for the job well done! hope that we'll have a great vacation! coz we surely deserve it!

Hey guys, I have an availabe NMAT Reviewer by Allan Paul Carreon for sale. PM me for details or e-mail me at [email protected].

MSA NMAT Reviewer (ISBN 971-8740-319)
by Allan Paul Carreon

just wanna ask when will kaplan hold its next review for usmle step 1. & do they still conduct seminars for the usmle during the last friday of every month?

thanks in advance.

Just wondering if there are any other fil-ams or fil-canadians out there besides myself who are planning to attend UERM this coming June?

Does anyone know if it's competitive to get into DLSU for a foreign applicant?

misseloise said:
Does anyone know if it's competitive to get into DLSU for a foreign applicant?

-I don't think you'll have a hard time to get in a medical school in the phil. except for UP and PLM though. They are all trying to get many students as they can. coz now a days, the percentile of medical students is decreasing dramatically. so it means, no students, no school. by the way, try looking at other schools too. you might find the suitable environment that you always wanted.