filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hnerypaoho said:
-I don't think you'll have a hard time to get in a medical school in the phil. except for UP and PLM though. They are all trying to get many students as they can. coz now a days, the percentile of medical students is decreasing dramatically. so it means, no students, no school. by the way, try looking at other schools too. you might find the suitable environment that you always wanted.

everyone is going into nursing. being a doctor here in the philippines is not economically practical anymore... unless you took up medicine to become a good nurse. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone Out The currently Attending Fatima Please Send Me A Private Message I Would Like To Speak With You. Thanks

Any Current Students Of Fatima Please Contact Me In Private Message Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, i am from indonesia.Is there any indonesia doctor studying or taking residency in filipino med schools here in this forum? or anybody have indonesian friends maybe?i will be very grateful if i could have his/her name & e-mail. I just want to make friends and asking about residency stuff in phillipine. since i'm interested in taking residency in phillipine, but i just don't know how.Thanks.

there are a LOT of indonesians taking up residency training in the philippines.. im starting to wonder why.. if you could shed some light on that i would appreciate it :)

Given the huge number of indonesians here, im sure you won't have a hard time looking for one. sadly i just don't know any so i can't help you on that.

goodluck :)

jonjonmd said:
everyone is going into nursing. being a doctor here in the philippines is not economically practical anymore... unless you took up medicine to become a good nurse. :laugh:

-you're right about the financial downstream of doctors now. but it's not all about money right? everybody should have that little spot that we called "care". coz for me to be able to make people feel more comfortable or giving helpful medical advices to lessen their burden is enough to put a smile on my face. hope eveybody feel the same way.

medicine is a vocation. I think it was never meant to be a money making profession...the financial gain is simply a reward.... (speaking on an idealistic point of view of course)

It is a good attitude to be idealistic as you go through med school (otherwise you wont last).
The time to be cynical and jaded would be 5-10 years after graduation.

july80 said:
Hello, i am from indonesia.Is there any indonesia doctor studying or taking residency in filipino med schools here in this forum? or anybody have indonesian friends maybe?i will be very grateful if i could have his/her name & e-mail. I just want to make friends and asking about residency stuff in phillipine. since i'm interested in taking residency in phillipine, but i just don't know how.Thanks.

there are a lot of indonesians taking up their residency (in various fields - internal medicine, pediatrics, otorhinolaryngology, surgery, orthopedics, ophthalmology) at STUH. i heard there's gonna be 1 who will train under anesthesiology.

i'll send u a PM regarding their names. but pls don't tell 'em it was I who gave their names to u. hehe!

Hello,
I am seriously considering going to med school in the Philippines for various reasons (and the pros outweigh the cons actually). Anyway, are there any required pre-requisite courses I need to take. I am not majoring in any type of biology courses so I want to know what other classes I have to take other than the ones required for my major. Thanks a bunch! Hope to hear from someone soon!

O yea one more thing... is the BS degree in Physical therapy in the Philippines the same as DPT (doctor of physical therapy) in the U.S.? Meaning, will the PT programs in the PI be sufficient enough to prepare someone to take the U.S. board exams to allow someone to be a licensed pysical therapist in the U.S.? Thanks!

Hi I am a graduate of Fatima Med School. What's up?

summerhype said:
O yea one more thing... is the BS degree in Physical therapy in the Philippines the same as DPT (doctor of physical therapy) in the U.S.? Meaning, will the PT programs in the PI be sufficient enough to prepare someone to take the U.S. board exams to allow someone to be a licensed pysical therapist in the U.S.? Thanks!
PT graduates in the Philippines can take the US PT Boards. A lot of PT grads from the Philippines are practicing there. However, if you are not in one of the top PT programs in the Phil. (like UP and UST), you might have problems passing the US PT Boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
summerhype said:
Hello,
I am seriously considering going to med school in the Philippines for various reasons (and the pros outweigh the cons actually). Anyway, are there any required pre-requisite courses I need to take. I am not majoring in any type of biology courses so I want to know what other classes I have to take other than the ones required for my major. Thanks a bunch! Hope to hear from someone soon!
Some schools have certain pre-requisite course requirements. But due to lack of applicants, some schools are waiving these pre-requisites (as long as you have a Bachelor's degree). You have to inquire with each school you're interested for their requirements. Some school requirements on their web site are more like "wish list" (especially NMAT cutoff and grades).

tantrum said:
However, if you are not in one of the top PT programs in the Phil. (like UP and UST), you might have problems passing the US PT Boards.

i have to disagree.

my pre-med's PT from a school not mentioned above. i have batchmates who passed the state boards in just 1 take & are currently practicing in the US, UK for quite some time now. some are fil-ams, the rest are pure filipinos.

the important thing is that you complete ALL necessary requirements to be eligible in taking the state board REGARDLESS OF YOUR SCHOOL. i don't think they give a damn about the ranking of your (PT) school, locally.

summerhype said:

i think BS PT is different from DPT coz in any sense doctorate degree is higher than just a bachelor degree.

the PT programs may depend on the state you wish to work. some might require additional credits/units in certain subjects (though i'm not familiar what exactly are those subjects) that u had here in the Philippines. so, u gotta have a copy of your TOR/transcript of record and course description at hand.

tantrum said:
Some schools have certain pre-requisite course requirements. But due to lack of applicants, some schools are waiving these pre-requisites (as long as you have a Bachelor's degree). You have to inquire with each school you're interested for their requirements. Some school requirements on their web site are more like "wish list" (especially NMAT cutoff and grades).

As far as i know UP and UST...since their numbers are still up they are very stringent about nmat cutoff and grades. Not sure about UE..though. But the rest of the school are having problems filling their roster just to keep their school up..since most everyone there is going nursing it seems.

But always weigh which school you want and what you want out of it. Like if you wanna go to US for 4th year..i think UE and Fatima only one not sure though.

I know some schools don't require an NMAT. I remember some filams from fatima saying they didn't even take the NMAT..basically the money was all that fatma cared about. It was even funny i saw a advertisement for Fatima nursing that ran in the manila times and other newspaper...and the two pictures for two different nursing batch were two filams in their med school program. They had 3 nursing batch with their passing rate..2 never took nursing at all..and one was a real one. So that's an example of how things are now hehe.

On of my filam friends went to St. Luke when he was looking for medical school, they knew he was a filam and he didn't even give them any paperwork or what not and they already said he was accepted. The reason why he didn't go to St. Luke he said to me.

Now i'm not trying to say either school are bad...all school have their good and bad problems...just look into which school is best for you. Just telling you that's how it is basically it's sad but it's what is going on now a days since nursing is the more prefered route for most locals to go to the states. And it's a running joke where they say sometimes your prenursing major is being a doctor first.

hello!!

just giving a shout out to all my fellow PGI's (post graduate interns). hope you're all settled now in your chosen hospitals.

God bless and good luck!

I have heard the number of enrollees in Phil medical school have plummetted. Sad to see this plight of medicine in our country. i'm one culprit joining the US bandwagon after finishing my med school in the Philippines.

Any news on this?

drthanksgiving said:
I have heard the number of enrollees in Phil medical school have plummetted. Sad to see this plight of medicine in our country. i'm one culprit joining the US bandwagon after finishing my med school in the Philippines.

Any news on this?
I'm also like you but I still have lots of attachments (family and friends) there.
I posted the available stat a few months ago. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5054
It's really difficult to practice there as menitioned by a lot of colleagues in the Philippines. As you can see from the file only a few schools like UST, UP and another state U (WVSU) did not suffer huge drop in enrollment.

GoldenAzn said:
As far as i know UP and UST...since their numbers are still up they are very stringent about nmat cutoff and grades. Not sure about UE..though. But the rest of the school are having problems filling their roster just to keep their school up..since most everyone there is going nursing it seems.

But always weigh which school you want and what you want out of it. Like if you wanna go to US for 4th year..i think UE and Fatima only one not sure though.

I know some schools don't require an NMAT. I remember some filams from fatima saying they didn't even take the NMAT..basically the money was all that fatma cared about. It was even funny i saw a advertisement for Fatima nursing that ran in the manila times and other newspaper...and the two pictures for two different nursing batch were two filams in their med school program. They had 3 nursing batch with their passing rate..2 never took nursing at all..and one was a real one. So that's an example of how things are now hehe.

On of my filam friends went to St. Luke when he was looking for medical school, they knew he was a filam and he didn't even give them any paperwork or what not and they already said he was accepted. The reason why he didn't go to St. Luke he said to me.

Now i'm not trying to say either school are bad...all school have their good and bad problems...just look into which school is best for you. Just telling you that's how it is basically it's sad but it's what is going on now a days since nursing is the more prefered route for most locals to go to the states. And it's a running joke where they say sometimes your prenursing major is being a doctor first.

Interesting.

I just thought of reviving this thread!
I just want to let everyone know that I got in to two DO schools this year. I am going to be attending Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. I was already planning on applying to Philippine med schools this year but ended up not having to. I would really love to attend a Philippine med school because I LOVE the Philippines and I really admire Filipino doctors. Hopefully I can do a rotation there in the future!
Thanks to everyone who posted and offered advice (ie doctan, tantrum, etc.) in this thread! It was very informative and helpful when I was planning my applications to various Phil. med schools.
Alrighty guys!

thirdclius said:
I just thought of reviving this thread!
I just want to let everyone know that I got in to two DO schools this year. I am going to be attending Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. I was already planning on applying to Philippine med schools this year but ended up not having to. I would really love to attend a Philippine med school because I LOVE the Philippines and I really admire Filipino doctors. Hopefully I can do a rotation there in the future!
Thanks to everyone who posted and offered advice (ie doctan, tantrum, etc.) in this thread! It was very informative and helpful when I was planning my applications to various Phil. med schools.
Alrighty guys!
Congratulations! Hope you do well in your studies and get into a very good residency program.

Hello all. I've been going going over this thread for the past couple of days and want to thank all who have replied. It's been very helpful and informative.

I'm a Fil-am who graduated with a bio degree from New York and now looking toward a career in medicine. My grades and MCAT score just make the cutoffs for most of the DO schools in the US. However, recently I've been flirting with the idea of going to med school in the Philippines, because of it's inexpensiveness (about $20,000 with donation compared to $160,000 for DO school in US).

If you had the choice of either going to a DO School in the US or going to med school in the Philippines (either UST or UP) and are planning to do residency and practice in the states, which would you choose?

Thanks for everyones help.

Shuevee said:
Hello all. I've been going going over this thread for the past couple of days and want to thank all who have replied. It's been very helpful and informative.

I'm a Fil-am who graduated with a bio degree from New York and now looking toward a career in medicine. My grades and MCAT score just make the cutoffs for most of the DO schools in the US. However, recently I've been flirting with the idea of going to med school in the Philippines, because of it's inexpensiveness (about $20,000 with donation compared to $160,000 for DO school in US).

If you had the choice of either going to a DO School in the US or going to med school in the Philippines (either UST or UP) and are planning to do residency and practice in the states, which would you choose?

Thanks for everyones help.
Go for DO schools first. They are still considered American medical schools. You can get into more competitive residencies like many surgical fields. If you can't get into DO schools (they are still competitive), consider Philippines schools especially if you dont want to spend too much money on Caribbean schools (SGU/ROss/AUC/Saba).

Dr_Zero, hi, im frm Up manila. There's no med in Up diliman... just wanna clarify that info. UP Manila is the Health Science Center of the UP system... it's where med, nursing, dentistry and other healthcare-related courses are being offered... there's no med, nursing, dentistry etc in UP diliman... :) Philippine General Hospital (PGH) is in Manila, beside UP Manila...

redsiren said:
hi guys, im a newbie!!!

my situation is: im in southern CA and just graduated with my B.S. in Biological Sciences. My GPA is not the greatest, and yes I will admit it's from not taking things seriously and not doing my best. I am a good student and I did prove it to myself with a few semesters but it wasn't enough and too late. I also took the MCATs but was unfortunately at the same time when I wasn't taking things too seriously.

I honestly knew right now that if I were to apply to med skol here in the US, that I prob wouldnt even get my foot in the door. I've also considered DO skol and although Ive read the pros and cons, I think that will be my last choice if I didnt get into ANY skol.

For some time now Ive been contemplating on med skol in the PI. Mainly because I truly feel more confident in getting acceptance. And pls dont get me wrong that I feel this way because I thik it's easier to or that PI skol have an easier curriculum. It's not that way, I have all the trust in the PI med system, which is why im thinking about it.

Basically if I wanted to get accepted in the US, I feel I need to build up my application more like getting a masters or something. If I did I would prob get in 2yrs from not at the most b/c im already late for sept 2006 school year. Then, I can try applying for med skol, which is not certain I'll get in then. If this route I'd have to wait 2yrs(to get into masters prog) and 4yrs (for med skol) which is total 6yrs at the LEAST. Plus studying very hard again for the MCATs. I dont like having to do all this then in the end have to keep trying and trying just to get into med skol, as in applying and re-applying if necessary.

However, if I applied in the PI, hopefully by June 2007 I can get in, if im not too late. Then I can already get started on my MD.

Eventhough I haven't applied (b/c I know my chances) to any skols here in the US, I feel more confident in getting acceptance in the PI. I feel as if the longer I wait to go to medskol the more discouraged ill get, which is why Id like to go to the PI.

Other reasons is so I can spend time with my family there, esp my lola. I didnt get to with my lolo recently b/c he was sick.Ive been back and forth to the PI for some time now and I truly like it there. And even born here,I am not americanized, im very pinoy =). Im basically looking at Angeles University Foundation, AUF, in Pampanga, b/c that's where Im from.

For me personally as long as get into a medical skol, it doesnt really matter for me, b/c after all med skol is what u make of it right?! =) I know most ppl would say make PI ur last choice esp if ur already in the US, but like I said before the longer I have to wait, the more discouraged ill get.

So my questiong I guess is: EVEN W/O APPLYING YET TO MED SKOL IN THE US(I have a low confidence of acceptance), SHOULD I APPLY TO PI MED SKOL (I have higher confidence)?

Sorry for such the long post, but I truly thank anyone for some advice/comments.

P.s. in regards to not applying to US med skols...i know ppl say dont think negatively...i try not to, but im just being realistic...thanks again

As long as you know what you are getting into. As an IMG, you will be limited in your choices of specialty (IM/Peds/FP/Psych) unless you score so high in your USMLE's (upper 90's). If you are aware of this and these specialties are acceptable to you then get your degree in the PI, but you have to review independently for USMLE (usually via Kaplan). As a US citizen, you still have a good chance of being a doctor but in a limited number of specialties.

tantrum said:
Go for DO schools first. They are still considered American medical schools. You can get into more competitive residencies like many surgical fields. If you can't get into DO schools (they are still competitive), consider Philippines schools especially if you dont want to spend too much money on Caribbean schools (SGU/ROss/AUC/Saba).

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you all the way, Tantrum, but just to think about the money you save by going to PI makes me think twice. I wonder if getting residency and getting 90's on your USMLE is as hard as people say it is for an IMG.

Shuevee said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm with you all the way, Tantrum, but just to think about the money you save by going to PI makes me think twice. I wonder if getting residency and getting 90's on your USMLE is as hard as people say it is for an IMG.
Bear in mind that schools in the Philippines will not prep you at all with USMLE type of materials (unlike Carib schools). As long as you are ok with it and willing to study hard (and review for USMLE) from day 1, then it's ok. Getting high 90's is difficult wherever you go so just do your best.

tantrum said:
Bear in mind that schools in the Philippines will not prep you at all with USMLE type of materials (unlike Carib schools). As long as you are ok with it and willing to study hard (and review for USMLE) from day 1, then it's ok. Getting high 90's is difficult wherever you go so just do your best.

Some of my friends took the kaplan course here in the states after attending St. George. They said it helped. That's one investment I'm willing to make if I do go to PI.

Hi, I'm from Manila. Currently an intern. Here's what you can do:
1. Make sure you've taken the NMAT. It's given here December and May. You can apply around this time of the year. You need to get a high mark 80+ if you want to get in 2 of the best med skols in the PI, UP and UST.
2. While waiting for the results you could go med skol shopping. UP is the best md skol here in the Phils but they prioritize applicants who are graduates of the UP campuses around the PI. UST's next, they have the most number of MD graduates every year in the PI. They fare high in the MLE's. They have 90+% passing rate every year for the national licensures. They have a four year program so you can go back right after you finished clekrship. Other options would be St. Luke's Medical Center, UERM, FEU-NRMF, Fatima. These skols are in Manila. In the province you can choose AUF, DLSU, University of Perpetual Help in Laguna, Lyceum in Pangasinan, SLU in Baguio City. UST holds entrance examinations in the US I heard so you won't have to travel here for that.
NOTE: You would be classified as an IMG by the US but you're still good because you're a US citizen. Just make sure you choose a good skol that will make you do good in the MLE.
It's really cheaper here in the Philippines to go to medical school and the instruction and training is not substandard especially if go to UP or UST. Good Luck. If you have questions, my e-mail add is [email protected]

helo, im from PI, ive search in the net that the NMAt exam will be on dec 11, if im not mistaken, would anybody have an idea when is the next batch of NMAT exams? some say its on april, is it true?// and I know that the NMAt results are based on students percentile on the exam, will pre-med course really be an advantage in the NMAT and med. proper? since im a 3rd yr psychology major, my course is not as good as med. tech (or others) in terms of the medical field. and im also looking for a review center.. but i dont knw where to begin..

im also planning to aply at: FEU, La SAlle-dasma, MADOX (manila doctors, located at Pasay) and UE.. can someone give me pointers on which school to choose?

needsInfo said:
helo, im from PI, ive search in the net that the NMAt exam will be on dec 11, if im not mistaken, would anybody have an idea when is the next batch of NMAT exams? some say its on april, is it true?// and I know that the NMAt results are based on students percentile on the exam, will pre-med course really be an advantage in the NMAT and med. proper? since im a 3rd yr psychology major, my course is not as good as med. tech (or others) in terms of the medical field. and im also looking for a review center.. but i dont knw where to begin..

im also planning to aply at: FEU, La SAlle-dasma, MADOX (manila doctors, located at Pasay) and UE.. can someone give me pointers on which school to choose?

Manila Doctors does NOT have a college of medicine. it only has a college of nursing.

needsInfo said:

hey there! i took the nmat back in dec 2k.. as far as i remember, it was just like taking the cheesy iq tests guidance counsellors used to give while they went off to hit a blunt. 7 or 8 parts spread over 2 days ( sat and sun), sequence stuff, some chem, some math, some botany, some physics, some zoology, some stat.. not too bad if you don't panic.

as for review centers, BRAINS is pretty good, high 80s to low 90s passing average per batch, private tutors also abound, usually cheaper but not quite as reliable, MSA has also been in the review business for a long time.

hope this helps. good luck

tantrum said:

some departments are giving what they claim to be MLE type questions, what these actually are are case based questions replete with various imaging modalities, histo slides, lab results from dna blots to elisas.. imho, they're too caught up with the construed 'high tech' level of questioning instead of focusing on sound fundamentals which will enable students to proceed with precision thinking at a fast clip. tools will only help the prepared mind and hard work will always pay off. the best thing i learned at a philippine school is how to teach myself, pick my references, set my schedule, and stick to it. i know it's more personal than institutional but in this country, where they either shove the info into your every orifice or make you jump off the ledge for it, it's what wil keep you sane.

GoldenAzn said:

this is quite engaging. would you mind expounding?

hnerypaoho said:
-you're right about the financial downstream of doctors now. but it's not all about money right? everybody should have that little spot that we called "care". coz for me to be able to make people feel more comfortable or giving helpful medical advices to lessen their burden is enough to put a smile on my face. hope eveybody feel the same way.

i don't think anybody will ever admit that it actually is about the money. in the same way, i don't think that there is a single doctor out there who doesn't care, at least at some level. don't get me wrong, bad rhetoric isn't a crime. the crime, i think, is to support the fallacy that doctors who leave the philippines don't care about the philippines. it's easy to judge how other people choose to live when one lives in different, often better, circumstances. remittances from overseas foreign workers make up a huge part of the philippine economy, without which, the sick man of asia would probably just shrivel up and die. i'll smile when mothers and their children, husbands and wives, the beloved and the dear don't have to be apart to simply survive. until then, remember this, the worst thing a doctor can do is mouth off about something he doesn't really understand. after all, we are doctors for others, not for ourselves.

DocTan said:
Hi Folks...well I have been posting on this link for awhile. I think my journey started 2 years ago when I started posting about the USMLE step 1. I hope all my past posts have been helpful. I am here to share my experience with the match and how I got a residency position in the USA.

First of all, I would like to say that it is possible to match right after you graduate from a Philippine med school. So Senior-Internship is not required (I'm speaking to the US citizens/GC). Visa holders are a whole other story. I started out by taking my USMLE steps early. I took step 1 after 2nd year, step 2ck during 3rd year and step 2cs during 4th year. (I have to mention that all steps must be completed before dec 31st of the year before you are planning to graduate...ie for me dec 2005).

What may complicate matching right after you graduate is interviewing with the prospective hospitals that you applied to. I am fortunate because I was able to do my junior internship year in the US so I was able to attend my inteviews without too much trouble. If you do your entire J-I in the Philippines I guess matching is not a possibility or will be an extreme challenge. If you can't do your entire year in the US at least try to do some of the clinicals in the US during the months of Nov-Jan because this is the time hospitals will interview for the match. I recommend being in the states during this time.

The most important thing to do in order to get matched from a Philippine school is:
1. get your application in on the first day ERAS can send your application to the hospitals applied to.(ie I recommend having at least your step 1 and 2ck scores in before sept 1).
2. Apply to a broad spectrum of hospitals-community based and university based. (ie spend the money to apply to as many hospitals as your wallet can afford).
3. Attend all of the interviews you are invited to. The more interviews the more hospitals you can rank
4. Prepare for the interviews (ie know why you want to go into a certain specialty) You can use Iserson's guide to getting into a residency.
5. Lastly, rank as many hospitals that you are comfortable going to. The more on your ROL the better chance you have of matching.

These are the steps that I did. I am sure their are other ways of doing it. But I found success with this formula. I ended up matching at Temple University, Categorical General Surgery.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

congratulations!

tantrum said:

Wow. I just found out they don't offer the NMAT in New York. I think I'm going to wait until the next time I go to the Philippines to take it. Does anyone know how much the fee is and exactly when to take it?

Shuevee said:
Wow. I just found out they don't offer the NMAT in New York. I think I'm going to wait until the next time I go to the Philippines to take it. Does anyone know how much the fee is and exactly when to take it?
I think they still give it in Chicago and LA but just verify with CEM. I dont know their current fee.

deftfingers said:
hey there! i took the nmat back in dec 2k.. as far as i remember, it was just like taking the cheesy iq tests guidance counsellors used to give while they went off to hit a blunt. 7 or 8 parts spread over 2 days ( sat and sun), sequence stuff, some chem, some math, some botany, some physics, some zoology, some stat.. not too bad if you don't panic.

as for review centers, BRAINS is pretty good, high 80s to low 90s passing average per batch, private tutors also abound, usually cheaper but not quite as reliable, MSA has also been in the review business for a long time.

hope this helps. good luck

thanks for that info.. do u have contact No. for BRAINS and is it located at katipunan?

tantrum said:
I think they still give it in Chicago and LA but just verify with CEM. I dont know their current fee.

Yeh, that's correct. It'll be in Chicago and Los Angeles in October this year.

RaaMD said:
Yeh, that's correct. It'll be in Chicago and Los Angeles in October this year.

Thanks. Their fee is $350.

I know that the NMAt results are based on students percentile on the exam, will pre-med course really be an advantage in the NMAT and med. proper? since im a 3rd yr psychology major, my course is not as good as med. tech (or others) in terms of the medical field. will it really matter???? :oops:

I know that the NMAt results are based on students percentile on the exam, will pre-med course really be an advantage in the NMAT and med. proper? since im a 3rd yr psychology major, my course is not as good as med. tech (or others) in terms of the medical field. will it really matter???? :oops:
Medicine is the great equalizer. Everybody will suffer regardless of pre-med course:laugh: During the first year the PT's and OT's have slight advantage with anatomy. During the 2nd year, Med Tech's have the advantage with the subjects. You still have to study hard regardless of your pre-med and even psych majors are doing well in some batches.

:confused: :confused:
Esteemed doctors (Tantrum, Shuevee, RaaMD...) and those at best to advice na hindi naman taga Ateneo at walang bias sa Ateneo de Manila University,

I am a 20 year old UP nursing student in my final year and will be taking the 2006 december NMAT and in need of advisement on some medical schools. Having viewed some of your messages posted here really offered me quite the enlightenment in my quest for a quality medical education.

1. Am seeking advice of Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health which will be opening next year. They havent finished yet their core curriculum but their physical structure was patterned from UP, UST (I think FEU and UERMMMC)- the usual PBL applied at 40% and the traditional type at 60% implementation. They did provide well selling of their medical school (same price as that of UST)- their doctors of medicine will be graduating with a Masters in Management degree. Their pre- med program (BS Health Sciences) and BS Bio program in the Loyola Schools are united in taking their medicine there. I was trying to get some data about their perceptions and interest of it in terms of their application to other, more tested medical schools but it seems their bias is clouding their answers. I am asking for a non biased esteemed advice whether you think it is a good step to apply to such a school considering its offers- they do after all have Kenneth Hartigan- Go as a curriculum consultant? Their allied hospital is medical city in Pasig. One quotes below...
" The Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health (ASMPH) will open its 5-year professional phase in a new facility set to be operational in June 2007 beside the Medical City in Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City (Metro Manila, Philippines).

The Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health aims to train the best and brightest students to become future physician-leaders. It seeks to educate physicians who will be outstanding clinicians and, beyond that, be leaders who will influence how health in the Philippines (and in the world) is accessed and delivered.

Thus, the ASMPH is committed to molding outstanding clinicians, who will also be dynamic managers and social catalysts. This is done through three important teaching and learning strategies – interactive classroom learning, practical application and leadership formation. First, students will be trained in the best possible way as clinicians, in the basics of medicine and curative care. Second, they will also be taught how to understand health and health systems from the wider vantage point of organizations, populations and society. In the third and fourth years, students’ application of clinical knowledge in the hospitals, clinics, communities and other health facilities is complemented by courses in management and in the understanding of social determinants that affect the public’s health. At the end of the five year Professional Phase, the graduate is awarded a degree of Doctor of Medicine and Master in Management. The ASMPH seeks to attract the best students. They may come from a number of undergraduate programs. One is the BS Health Sciences Program under the School of Science and Engineering in the Loyola Schools of the Ateneo de Manila University. The Health Sciences Program is an integrated curriculum, particularly designed for the ASMPH program, so the undergraduate and professional years are integrated into a 9-year period to prepare the future physician-leader.

The ASMPH also seeks to attract the best students coming from other undergraduate programs, in particular the B.S. Biology and B.S. Psychology programs of the Ateneo Loyola Schools. Other equally acceptable and recommended routes to enter the Professional Phase of the ASMPH are through graduates of disciplines of various BS and AB degrees holders of disciplines such as Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, Physics, Medical Technology, Zoology, Economics, Interdisciplinary Studies, etc from the Ateneo de Manila’s LoyolaSchools and other schools and universities as well.
All applicants will be assessed based on requirements such as NMAT scores and compliance with the different natural science and health cognate pre-requisites. In order that applicants from the various disciplines are able to seamlessly integrate into the professional phase of ASMPH, they will be provided with various preparatory workshops and sessions that will be conducted during the summer months prior to the opening of the first professional year in June. These summer sessions will familiarize the students with the various areas that ASMPH seeks to highlight, as well as introduce them to the values, culture and foundational principles that animate the school.

The ASMPH draws from the collective strengths and expertise of the Loyola Schools of the Ateneo de Manila, the Health Unit of the Ateneo Graduate School of Business and its partner training hospital, The Medical City.

Programs Offered
The School will provide a dual degree of Doctor of Medicine and/Master in Management. Vision:
The ASMPH as an institution seeks to be a leader in redefining health and how health is accessed and delivered in the country.

As such, it will serve as a catalyst for systemic, systematic, and structural changes in the health sector by producing graduates who are physician-leaders.

ASMPH will be at the frontline of the university’s efforts in contributing to nation-building, particularly in addressing the poverty challenge.

In all of the above, the ASMPH is animated by the Jesuit, Catholic, and Filipino character of the Ateneo de Manila University

Mission Statement:

The Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health seeks to form, educate, train, and field physician-leaders who will actively catalyze and take charge of the process of affecting and effecting systemic changes in society through the health sector.

The Ateneo Doctor: The Doctor of the Future

• An OUTSTANDING CLINICIAN with mastery of clinical skills and compassion to care for the health needs of the individual.
• A DYNAMIC LEADER with the expertise to bring systems and resources together to enable the clinician to practice his craft.
• A SOCIAL CATALYST with the leadership competencies to systematically solve the systemic problems of ill-health and poverty and make quality health care available and working for all.

Adjacent to the New Medical City building along Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City"

2. At this juncture, please forgive the lengthiness of my letter- am also seeking advice for a recommended reviewer for the NMAT other than PICS. Which parts would you recommend I focus on, I tend to do well on my Math but if that should hinder the percentage for the other sciences and the Logical part, do you think I should focus on the later rather on the "other sciences" like the social sciences?

3. What is the best indicator for a medical school? Is it the curriculum, the name of the university, the percentage of passers, the faculty- if ever they are all important, by how much will you give them percentages (dispensa, I tend to be a little mathematical on my questioning- like Pain Scale)?

4. Do they ask clinically related questions in the NMAT- something about disease management already? The MCAT does and thinking that there might be patterning there, are there great odds that such questions will be asked?

5. Especially to those who were admitted to the UP and UST College of Medicine, what questions do you remember being asked to you during the interview (tama ba grammar ko...)?

Please help me and sorry for the lenghthiness of my post- I am just really agitated by school work, patient (ER) work, NMAT, Medschools and personal problems. Maraming salamat sa maitutulong nyo sa isang abang tao gaya ko.

^ try speaking more in english coz majority of the peeps posting here are fil-am though i believe they could also understand tagalog.

i can't remember any question thrown to me during my interview but who cares? since i already went through 4 years of medical education (ongoing 5th), i hardly remember any of it. as long as i answered every question sincerely and honestly as i can, i know i did fine. though there was 1 eternal question "why do wanna be a doctor?". they are used to hearing the answer "to serve humanity" which we all hardly believe we (still) do by the time we get into the hospital setting. haha!

as far as i could remember, the NMAT during my time (dec 2001) did NOT ask any single question regarding disease management. i'm not sure though of the most recent ones.

there is no BEST indicator for a medical school. it's always up to the student to do his/her best academically and clinically speaking. but in my case i considered reputation (based on the local exams), the quality of graduates it produce, the # of years it was established, & endorsement of other MDs. curriculum? didn't matter to me much.

in your case i think they will challenge u on why do u wanna study medicine since u r a nursing grad considering the reality that doctors are taking up nursing.

Hentaisornmdph...
1. I'm not biased against ASMPH. I think it has a good chance to be a good medical school. The problem with new school is that you'll never know how long it would take them to iron out the "kinks" or problems of a new school. It might reach or surpass the level of some schools like UERM, FEU, and St. Luke's but the more established schools (and selective) like UP,UST,CIM,or even PLM would have advantages as they have proven programs.
If you are planning to train or work in the US, it takes about 5-7 years before most states recognize newly-established foreign schools.
2. I did not review for the NMAT and it's mostly IQ tests and stock knowledge.
3. As bleudsky said, it is up to the student to make the most out of med school and med school alone will not make you a good doctor. You have to work and study HARD. Try to get into the more selective ones (UP,UST,PLM) or you can even take a chance on ASMPH. You'll get in into one of these schools.
4. I dont think they will ask clinical questions in NMAT. Even MCAT's "clinical" questions were more like reading comprehension tests.
5. I can't remember the questions but be honest to a point but definitely don't even give a hint that you plan to leave the country.