Females in OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that OMFS residents are males most of the time? If you are a resident and you have an idea about that please share your info because I heard a female dental student has a hard time getting into this specialty especially if she's married...

Members don't see this ad.

there are many programs with one or more female residents. it isn't a problem.

While there appear to be some roadblocks for females entering into the profession (Some programs-to-remain-anonymous expressed that they never take females), these seem to be the exception rather than the rule, at least in my opinion. Self-selection is likely the prime culprit in the discrepancy between males-females in the the resident population.

On the flip side, there are programs out there that seem to always have at least one female per resident class. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but Highland, UCLA, and IIRC UNC tend to take a fair share of female residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to check this out also, gives you a feeling for what you are up against.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=542299

Wow... So females shouldn't have babies for 6 years? because their male co-residents don't want to take the extra slack. I'm sorry but that's BS. Every male resident was basically saying that females should stop their social/family life for six years while they are working on their own and doing OMFS residency at the same time because that would give them extra calls for 4-6 extra weeks.

Craziness !!!!!!

Wow... So females shouldn't have babies for 6 years? because their male co-residents don't want to take the extra slack. I'm sorry but that's BS. Every male resident was basically saying that females should stop their social/family life for six years while they are working on their own and doing OMFS residency at the same time because that would give them extra calls for 4-6 extra weeks.

Craziness !!!!!!

while i would personally gladly pick up the slack if a female resident were on maternity leave, i can understand why some wouldn't. placing more strain on an already overly strained resident can really suck. a very wise gen surg resident once said, 'never let your personal life interfere with your resident responsibilities'...and then he caned me.

Craziness !!!!!!

Craziness? So it's crazy for a resident to perform their obligations? What about the strain and potential "stop" maternity leave can create for the co-residents and their families? Is that fair? Oral Surgery is not for everybody...it's a serious commitment. If you're not prepared to fulfill your commitment, don't sign the contract.

What if the co-resident(s) is/are married with kids? Why should they be expected to give up what little time they may have with their families to pick up the slack of another resident? Seems a little selfish to me. If you're thinking about a grueling time consuming residency...put off having kids for a couple of years.

Craziness !!!!!!

So you're saying women should be equal to men - same opportunities, same pay - but just be allowed to work less. Cool. Got it.

Maternity leave in a residency is always an issue, both for the co residents and the PD ho must adjust all of the schedules to accommodate this. The same is true of unforeseen illness which can also occur and leave the program short a resident. While I do not think that any resident should curtail their outside life for the sake of the residency, I also know first hand the effects that these events can have.
My personal opinion is not to cut short family life or outside life dramatically for a residency program. In the end, this is a job, not a life's calling and there has to be time to smell the roses. Don't give up the great years of youth in pursuit of some goal which in effect you can reach in the end without too much sacrifice. It's better to be happy and well rounded than overworked and lonely.

Craziness !!!!!!

Yes that is correct, no baby for 6 years :p

If someone is already wanting time off prior to entering residency they probably should stick with general dentistry. Seriously, you don't understand the implications of taking full maternity leave during omfs training if you are sincerely trying to justify it. my post from before......
This may sound harsh, but this entire post is the reason I wanted to go somewhere with no females. Just a bunch of crap that won't even be brought up in a program with all men. You go into OMFS for a reason, and having a baby during your intern year just doesn't make any sense if you really want to make the best of your training. Not only would this be screwing your coresidents but essentially you would be screwing yourself out of at least a few good months of training. Just my opinion..... my feeling haven't changed. There are only 30 to 40 months of training in most programs you should want to take advantage of that. If you want to pop out a couple kids while your in med school fine go for it, but when you're on service you should be committed to your fellow residents and team. It's not just the call that needs to be covered its the clinic that can get bogged down.

This may sound harsh, but this entire post is the reason I wanted to go somewhere with no females. Just a bunch of crap that won't even be brought up in a program with all men.

While I understand why being on mat leave during residency is an issue, I just want to say that while I am a woman of child bearing age, it does not mean that I'm going to have a baby or two. Otherwise, that's implying that just because I am a young woman, I am a liability to a residency program that all the hot shot boys go into.

And what a load of BS for those unnamed schools who do not take women. Is this 2010?

Maternity leave in a residency is always an issue, both for the co residents and the PD ho must adjust all of the schedules to accommodate this. The same is true of unforeseen illness which can also occur and leave the program short a resident. While I do not think that any resident should curtail their outside life for the sake of the residency, I also know first hand the effects that these events can have.
My personal opinion is not to cut short family life or outside life dramatically for a residency program. In the end, this is a job, not a life's calling and there has to be time to smell the roses. Don't give up the great years of youth in pursuit of some goal which in effect you can reach in the end without too much sacrifice. It's better to be happy and well rounded than overworked and lonely.

Very well said. Thanks for the constructive opinion !

I completely agree with this. When I decided to do the residency I made a committment to put off having kids until the residency is done. This is a committment to myself, my co-residents, and my family. I want to make the best of my residency... and when I have kids I want to give them the quality time they deserve. There's a female resident (unwed mom) in my program who took maternity leave for 2 months. Not only did we have to pick up all the calls for her during that time (we already have a very tight call schedule), now she's still using the baby as an excuse not to take any after-hour calls and not to attend any mandatory after-hour activities or surgeries. This puts a huge burden on the rest of us. If I had known about this situation, I would not want to be in the same program with her.

However, I don't agree with programs prejudiced against female applicants just because they think they will have babies (although I understand them not wanting to take the risk). There are lots of committed female applicants out there who are willing to put off having kids until their education is done.

If someone is already wanting time off prior to entering residency they probably should stick with general dentistry. Seriously, you don't understand the implications of taking full maternity leave during omfs training if you are sincerely trying to justify it. my post from before......
This may sound harsh, but this entire post is the reason I wanted to go somewhere with no females. Just a bunch of crap that won't even be brought up in a program with all men. You go into OMFS for a reason, and having a baby during your intern year just doesn't make any sense if you really want to make the best of your training. Not only would this be screwing your coresidents but essentially you would be screwing yourself out of at least a few good months of training. Just my opinion..... my feeling haven't changed. There are only 30 to 40 months of training in most programs you should want to take advantage of that. If you want to pop out a couple kids while your in med school fine go for it, but when you're on service you should be committed to your fellow residents and team. It's not just the call that needs to be covered its the clinic that can get bogged down.

Last edited: