Fellowships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come here with a specific question regarding residency training and fellowship training. Please forgive my perceived ignorance as I am currently pre-med.

So as I currently understand, as a resident, you are exposed to a multitude of different areas within the field of neurosurgery (like cereberovascular/endovascular neurosurgery, pediatrics, stereotactic, spine, etc.). If you decide to complete a fellowship in, oh lets say, neurosurgical oncology, would you still have the ability to operate within the other different facets of neurosurgery like epilepsy or spine once you start your practice? I would assume that you would still be able to treat a broad-spectrum of neurosurgical disease (not just brain tumors) since you were exposed to them as a resident, but I'm not really sure.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even if you sub-specialize, you are still board certified as a neurosugeon. Therefore, as long as your credentialed to perform the surgery at the hospital, you are allowed.