Hand fellowship via neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should there be a pathway

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Benjerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should there be a hand surgery pathway via neurosurgery?
Neurosurgeons already have exposure to peripheral nerves, vascular surgical procedures, microsurgery and bone fixation so what makes general surgeons more qualified than them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Should there be a hand surgery pathway via neurosurgery?
Neurosurgeons already have exposure to peripheral nerves, vascular surgical procedures, microsurgery and bone fixation so what makes general surgeons more qualified than them?

Almost no hand fellowship programs take general surgeons. The vast vast majority of these are only open to orthopedic and plastic surgery trained residents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The neurological aspects of hand surgery are relatively minor compared to the vascular, plastic, and orthopedic aspects. Many neurosurgery programs do very little peripheral nerve to begin with, so other than a handful (pun intended) of carpal tunnel releases I would suggest that we aren't particular qualified to much around in the hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The neurological aspects of hand surgery are relatively minor compared to the vascular, plastic, and orthopedic aspects. Many neurosurgery programs do very little peripheral nerve to begin with, so other than a handful (pun intended) of carpal tunnel releases I would suggest that we aren't particular qualified to much around in the hand.
Do neurosurgeons ever perform facial nerve reconstructions or are they all always performed by plastics or ent?

Do neurosurgeons ever perform facial nerve reconstructions or are they all always performed by plastics or ent?
At my center I have never seen a neurosurgeon repair a peripheral facial nerve but I would imagine its something that could be within the scope of practice.