Fellowship and Job Opps. after Neuro/Psych Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vivara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a long way off from any residency at all, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have everything in the future sorted out in their head.

I can't make my mind up between neurology and psychiatry. That will probably change by the end of med school, but for now, I'd like to see if doing the combined way would work... :rolleyes:

What would be your opinions on an MD that did a combined residency in neurology and psychiatry at Columbia, then went on to do a two-year neurocritical care fellowship, only then to do a further three-year schizophrenia research fellowship? Is this as crazy as it seems? Or is it possible (OK it is literally possible), but how would it be perceived? Would each program accept me?

And would this then allow me to get a job either as a neurologist or psychiatrist after, provided I'm dually-boarded?

Thanks!

Ed.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying for residency in psych and did have a similar idea of doing neuro and psych combined. I talked to physicians who have already been through this decision making process. The general opinion is that even if you do a combined residency, your only end up practicing one or the other. I believe the combined program is 5yrs. so to devote that much time and effort without it making a highly apparent difference to you practice later on does not seem practical. There is not a financial incentive in this approach either. The only advantage would be if you were to pursue research. Then both the fields would complement each other. So...the pursuit of knowledge is endless. Good luck.

I am currently applying for residency in psych and did have a similar idea of doing neuro and psych combined. I talked to physicians who have already been through this decision making process. The general opinion is that even if you do a combined residency, your only end up practicing one or the other. I believe the combined program is 5yrs. so to devote that much time and effort without it making a highly apparent difference to you practice later on does not seem practical. There is not a financial incentive in this approach either. The only advantage would be if you were to pursue research. Then both the fields would complement each other. So...the pursuit of knowledge is endless. Good luck.

I would think neurology and psychiatry complement each other pretty well regardless of whether you want to do research. I'm really surprised to read this statement.

If I had the chance to do a combined residency, I might would do it just for the knowledge. Psychiatry has a ton of neurology in it, and I think a good psychiatrist has at least a working competence in neurology. I suspect, many years into the future, the two fields will likely merge (again).

As the other posted pointed out, however, you're likely going to just do one or the other -- but having the extra skillset and knowledge base would be infinitely useful on a C/L service.