Feb 17th CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scumbag_Steve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Man it was brutal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last July's was much easier, even though I hadn't studied for that one, almost no questions on high yield topics such as SLE, PSGN, Sickle Cell etc.

Was a tough test, I thought last Summers test was way harder but I actually didnt study for that one. I thought today's test was fair.

Was a tough test, I thought last Summers test was way harder but I actually didnt study for that one. I thought today's test was fair.
I guess my issue is it’s not a representation of the commonly tested topics in step one (based off uworld and paThoma

Btw anyone know the answer for the question about low T4 but normal TSH and free T4? The same question showed up in July’s exam and I had no idea about it both times.

This was my first time taking it. I thought it was pretty brutal. Did not feel so great afterwards.

Btw anyone know the answer for the question about low T4 but normal TSH and free T4? The same question showed up in July’s exam and I had no idea about it both times.

(B)

I took it in July and had no idea what this q was asking:)
Was this one also pharm/side effect heavy?

that thyroid question, I think the idea was that the total thyroid hormone level was decreased due to liver failure (hepatitis) --> decreased thyroid binding globin. Free T4 levels are normal (free T4 being in the blood not bound to TBG). So due to decreased synthesis of TBG, total T4 was decreased but free T4 in the blood is normal. TSH is also normal because that is controlled by free T4 and not bound T4.

How did you guys prepare? I'm starting my grind for August with First Aid RX, gonna switch to UWorld in April.

that thyroid question, I think the idea was that the total thyroid hormone level was decreased due to liver failure (hepatitis) --> decreased thyroid binding globin. Free T4 levels are normal (free T4 being in the blood not bound to TBG). So due to decreased synthesis of TBG, total T4 was decreased but free T4 in the blood is normal. TSH is also normal because that is controlled by free T4 and not bound T4.
Yup. That was the only answer that stood out definitely! First Aid Endocrine section has it detailed out. Dr Ryan of board and beyond explains it even better

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys prepare? I'm starting my grind for August with First Aid RX, gonna switch to UWorld in April.
First Aid is good. But If you ever have some money to spend, I would use boards and beyond with uworld! Dr Ryan is a beast

Last edited:
Chapters 1 and 2 of pathoma held the answers to a lot of questions too.

Based on some previous replies here, would ya'll recommend taking the exam once in the beginning super early in your dental school career to get a feel for it before studying all out and then taking it again? Or is that just a waste?

I'm a D1, we take boards after 1st year at my school and I was planning on taking CBSE after second year was over. Should I give it a go earlier than that?

Based on some previous replies here, would ya'll recommend taking the exam once in the beginning super early in your dental school career to get a feel for it before studying all out and then taking it again? Or is that just a waste?

I'm a D1, we take boards after 1st year at my school and I was planning on taking CBSE after second year was over. Should I give it a go earlier than that?
I would take it in the second year! ... This is was my first time taking it, and it helped to take it right after first year some concepts were still very fresh. But thats just my 2cents

Crazy that y'all are already taking this! It feels like I just was scrolling through the Dec. 1 post and watching everybody here get accepted. I wish you all the best in whatever your next step is!

Reactions: 2 users
I think Pathoma is overrated but the question on non bacteria endocarditis, Pathoma explained it well. There were some uworld repeats on the exam (I couldnt name them all but the CD8+ reduced expression question was straight outta uworld word for word, the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy question was also straight outta uworld, the splenic rupture s.pneumo, straight outta uworld.. and the list goes on ) and definitely there were nbme past test repeats.
i dont rememebr ever seeing a question about reduced CD8 expression?...

What % do you think is needed for a score of 70+? My Uworld average was 70% on first pass but that wasn't an easy exam

clarifying --The question which was also a uworld question was kinda asking if cells have reduced expression of MHC 1 compared to control (it was an experiment) what would kill it.... According to Dr Ryan and uworld , When cells have reduced expression of MHC 1, CD8+ cells wont be able to recognize them but Natural Killer cells would! that was literally straight outta uworld

hmm.. i remember that question from the test differently.

So overall boards and beyond was worth it? I always hear “UFAP, UFAP, UFAP” is all you need

Think of Boards and Beyond as analogous to Chad's Videos for the DAT. It actually teaches you the material instead of providing you with information you need to memorize. If you don't feel like you would benefit from that then it may not be worth it, but a lot of people feel like it does benefit them, myself included
Only concern there is how can you have time to do test banks if you are studying so much material. You’ll never get to test bank q’s - what are your thoughts there?

I got rocked by this exam in no small part because I didn't get through half of UWorld and didn't do any old NBME exams. Will definitely look to change that for August. I think they're really, really important and will spend most of my weekends from now until then trying to squeeze in as many questions as possible. My classmate who I am assuming did well really focused on seeing as many questions as they could
Yeah broski gotta do UW and then maybe try to go through your wrongs 1 more time. Take at least 3 NBME exams. That's what I did and I hope it paid off. Just followed what some med school buds told me.

Reactions: 3 users
So overall boards and beyond was worth it? I always hear “UFAP, UFAP, UFAP” is all you need
It depends. UFAP is good for medical students but if you come from my dental school were we spend very little time on basic science courses, you might want to use Dr Ryan.. He is just a whole different animal. He focuses on very high yeild stuff. I wasnt able to do his neuro, pschy and couldnt finish GI which turned out to be my weakest point on the exam. But every concept he talked about was on the exam... If I had to retake the exam I will definitely score better! make sure you solve all uworld questions about 20 repeats !!!!! and about 10-15 repeats from past NBME tests

What materials did you think helped studying with CBSE that were relevant to study concurrently with normal basic science courses?

What materials did you think helped studying with CBSE that were relevant to study concurrently with normal basic science courses?
Also heard good things about DIT. But it’s $800 and you gotta keep up with their schedule

Reactions: 2 users
Boards and Beyond is especially helpful for us dental students taking this exam. If you go to a DS that doesn't have a med curriculum, then First Aid isn't going to cut it, because you won't really understand the underlying concepts. First Aid is a review book, with a few key factoids for each concept laid out nicely. But it is bad for primary learning. First Aid is written for medical students, who have already taken the respective physio, micro, path, pharm courses that we are not privilege to. In our dental school, with perhaps the exception of physio, we got the 'dumbed down' versions of those courses. So, it's necessary to do some primary basic learning yourself with something like B&B/Sketchy/Pathoma and then using First Aid/flashcards to review and retain that info. UWorld for applying those concepts and learning the weird misc. facts you need to know. "Oh you thought it was this? Actually, there's this tiny exception to the rule that means that..... "

Reactions: 6 users
You’re right but B&B over FA isn’t an absolute for everyone. I know folks who memorized FA and did Uworld a bunch of times and scored 80-90+. It might make things easier for sure! But for those that don’t wanna shell out extra money maybe UFAP will work if you execute repetition

You could do that. It's possible to get that 'foundational understanding' by doing UWorld again and again. The explanations are really good, it's sort of like a really nice textbook. Alternatively, your DS coursework could have been good enough to prepare you to dive right into FA and Uworld. Or you're just a genius, haha!

If you want to do that, just be honest with yourself - do you have the time and energy to actually do UWorld over and over again?

If you want to do that, just be honest with yourself - do you have the time and energy to actually do UWorld over and over again?
Well it depends on how bad you want it.... if you want it that bad you have to do it over and over again!

You’re right but B&B over FA isn’t an absolute for everyone. I know folks who memorized FA and did Uworld a bunch of times and scored 80-90+. It might make things easier for sure! But for those that don’t wanna shell out extra money maybe UFAP will work if you execute repetition
I agree... if you think he have solid foundation just read FA and then do uworld multiple times

It seems like a lot of people on the med forums use USMLE-Rx to quiz themselves on topics during the basic sciences. Many will also annotate First Aid as they get through the USMLE-Rx topics. Then, when it comes time for their dedicated study time, they switch to UWorld (again, referencing FA and annotating as they work through UWorld). What do you guys think of that? Do you think you would spread yourself too thin? Would it be easier to use B&B + FA in place of USMLE-Rx during the basic sciences? Does Dr. Ryan have any sample questions to quiz you on topics/concepts?

I've been trying to not think about it but every time I get a notification on my phone, my heart sinks. I think it will come out on Friday though. Thats how long it took last time.

my first time on NBME now feb.
I am a foreign trained dentist, two years out of school.
I took the test and found it to have a lot of details and questions towards physio parts, 80% I would say.
I read extensively, memorized and really got a good grasp of First aid for USMLE Step 1 (no reproductive) , Kaplan USMLE Qbook Step 1 except anatomy and physiology parts, notes derived from it and Pathoma videos 1st and 2nd chapters only.
For pathoma I went on two nights sleepless, seeing all videos but the reproductive etc.
Listening to the rest, I didnt have anything but litlle to add in First Aid as notes, as everything was in First aid, maybe different in words.
At least, that seemed to be the case to me.
I only managed USMLE step 1 and the qbook as stated in many threads as UFAP with notes and have a really good grasp, knowledge and actual visual of the book and its schemes, pharmacology weaker link.
Also didnt go through gynecology etc ( only some notes from qbook), but saw many questions in the test.
Can someone please guide me through, without me getting lost in the swarm, what should I read to really learn and read and get a descent, honest, even good score in the exam?
Note that I am two years out of school already.
thank you in advance.

Last edited:
my first time on NBME now feb.
I am a foreign trained dentist, two years out of school.
I took the test and found it to have a lot of details and questions towards physio parts, 80% I would say.
I read extensively, memorized and really got a good grasp of First aid for USMLE Step 1 (no reproductive) , Kaplan USMLE Qbook Step 1 except anatomy and physiology parts, notes derived from it and Pathoma videos 1st and 2nd chapters only.
For pathoma I went on two nights sleepless, seeing all videos but the reproductive etc.
Listening to the rest, I didnt have anything but litlle to add in First Aid as notes, as everything was in First aid, maybe different in words.
At least, that seemed to be the case to me.
I only managed USMLE step 1 and the qbook as stated in many threads as UFAP with notes and have a really good grasp, knowledge and actual visual of the book and its schemes, pharmacology weaker link.
Also didnt go through gynecology etc ( only some notes from qbook), but saw many questions in the test.
Can someone please guide me through, without me getting lost in the swarm, what should I read to really learn and read and get a descent, honest, even good score in the exam?
Note that I am two years out of school already.
thank you in advance.

Did you do also do advanced standing here?
Also, why did you not do reproductive? It is a part of the exam.

WONDer if they’ll come out today.... pretty nervous

Did you do also do advanced standing here?
Also, why did you not do reproductive? It is a part of the exam.
Nope. aiming for the few programs accepting international students. yes you are absolutely right. I started reading 29th November so I just raced to do as much as I could to understand what as a student also knew, always weak at reproductive etc. I also am still and got confused from the numerous threads reading through, trying to comprehend what actually is NBME CBSE and what must I really read, given my two year absence from studying. I listened to Pathoma and made notes just for the first two chapters in all. everything else, apart from notes written inside First Aid seemed to me to be the same as I read the book in the same time. What must I do-read? BRS pathology and physiology in conjunction with the sources already read? p.s. thank you for your interest and kind reply.

It sounds like you did all you could to learn the material. Buy a UWorld subscription and make sure you get through all the questions and that's pretty much all there's left for you to do
I saw some samples of the questions in UWORLD, didnt realize its a site and not the book I purchased. The questions were more straightforward to me and simpler maybe to answer. In the test there was much to do with patho physiology and physiology aspect to deal. more than 80%, which running through even now, was no where to be found in the books or pathoma. You mean actually repeating many questions until I subsequently and involuntarily sort of memorize patterns and answers? If the answers actually lie in pathoma mostly, then what am I doing wrong. p.s Thank you for your kind reply and consideration

Another resource you could consider looking into is Zanki.