Favorite Wart Treatments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Go Efudex. Works great and well tolerated.
Was looking into that, would that be something applied regularly per office visit or does the patient apply at home? And if applied per office visit, would that fall under the same billing as 11710?

If I can somehow get Cantharone (not plus), could I not just mix it with a salicylic acid and podophyllin compound from a local pharmacy? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Was looking into that, would that be something applied regularly per office visit or does the patient apply at home? And if applied per office visit, would that fall under the same billing as 11710?

If I can somehow get Cantharone (not plus), could I not just mix it with a salicylic acid and podophyllin compound from a local pharmacy? lol
No, patient does at home BID (minimally QD, cover with duct tape after application).

When you see them, freshen area up w/ blade and apply whatever else (sal acid, salinocaine, silver nitrate) so you can bill the 17110.

Reactions: 2 users
In residency we had an attending excising the wart and implanting in the abductor muscle belly. Never got to see follow up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
In residency we had an attending excising the wart and implanting in the abductor muscle belly. Never got to see follow up though.
As an office procedure or in an operating room?

How do you bill this?

I got pimped on this as a student - the Panacos Procedure. By Alan Ng.

He did it in the OR, not sure on the billing
I've always wondered about people going to the O.R. for warts. In residency laser treatment was common. I would be highly unlikely to offer anything in the O.R. to my private insurance patients because it takes what normally costs somewhere around $300-$500 and turns it into a $5000-$8000 affair. As a patient I would be FREAKING PISSED paying that bill and finding out that my neighbor got their warts treated with something simple for a few hundy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Spoke to a compounding pharmacy today. They can make something very similar to Cantharone plus but interestingly they can't get podophyllin till next month ...I will laugh my butt off if I order this from another company and somehow a podophyllin shortage was the issue everywhere. Interestingly, they told me that if they make it then it has a short shelf life and needs to be refrigerated. I have never refrigerated Cantharone Plus.

Spoke to a compounding pharmacy today. They can make something very similar to Cantharone plus but interestingly they can't get podophyllin till next month ...I will laugh my butt off if I order this from another company and somehow a podophyllin shortage was the issue everywhere. Interestingly, they told me that if they make it then it has a short shelf life and needs to be refrigerated. I have never refrigerated Cantharone Plus.
If they add the podophyllin then it will dry out in a few weeks. When it does, you can add a little acetone (nail polish remover) to reconstitute it and make it usable again.

I do this in office. Works really well. It’s, per my billing department, an uncovered procedure. Patients pay cash.

Reactions: 1 user
If they add the podophyllin then it will dry out in a few weeks. When it does, you can add a little acetone (nail polish remover) to reconstitute it and make it usable again.

Not only are we podiatrists, pedicurists and salespeople but also chemists too.

Only exception is Pronation as a toenail replacement surgeon. I still haven’t seen him perform one yet

• Love
How do you bill this?

I got pimped on this as a student - the Panacos Procedure. By Alan Ng.
Not sure if this was derogatory or complimentary. I can tell you that Alan Ng is the real deal and an incredible surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wondered about people going to the O.R. for warts. In residency laser treatment was common. I would be highly unlikely to offer anything in the O.R. to my private insurance patients because it takes what normally costs somewhere around $300-$500 and turns it into a $5000-$8000 affair. As a patient I would be FREAKING PISSED paying that bill and finding out that my neighbor got their warts treated with something simple for a few hundy.
I'll let you know how many death threats I get in a couple weeks when I do it.

I use Cantharidin for 99.9% of warts. I don't excise them full thickness especially under WB surfaces. Last thing I want is the same pt complaining of a painful scar in the same spot. Being employed, I have no form of cautery in the office, so if they insist on excision...off to the OR we go.

Current lady failed a couple other topical treatments with a different provider and isn't hearing anything other than excision.

Not sure if this was derogatory or complimentary. I can tell you that Alan Ng is the real deal and an incredible surgeon.

I learned a lot from him during my rotation there. I got along well with him but he pimped me hard. He looks intimidating but very nice

I'll let you know how many death threats I get in a couple weeks when I do it.

I use Cantharidin for 99.9% of warts. I don't excise them full thickness especially under WB surfaces. Last thing I want is the same pt complaining of a painful scar in the same spot. Being employed, I have no form of cautery in the office, so if they insist on excision...off to the OR we go.

Current lady failed a couple other topical treatments with a different provider and isn't hearing anything other than excision.
Well, if she's asking for it then I guess you should give the lady what she wants. You're not in charge of her finances, haha.

We had a Hyfrecator in our old office but it disappeared when we moved to our new office a couple of years ago. I loathed using it because I would smell burning skin in my nose for 24 hours but it sure was handy.

We're all growing mustaches this evening. I won't tell if you won't.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What do you guys do for "poromas"?
Scalpel and soak it warm water Epsom salts for 2 weeks so it "doesn't clog back up" Maybe 5 percent recurrence in a year? Multiple Recurrent in 1 year and I use cantharone and treat like a water. I used to be in a MAC that paid 11055 with pain code. Now I am not. So will probably switch to 17110 and cantharone from the start....or at least for second time.

Scalpel and soak it warm water Epsom salts for 2 weeks so it "doesn't clog back up" Maybe 5 percent recurrence in a year? Multiple Recurrent in 1 year and I use cantharone and treat like a water. I used to be in a MAC that paid 11055 with pain code. Now I am not. So will probably switch to 17110 and cantharone from the start....or at least for second time.
The tricky thing is the 17110 code is basically associated with the verruca plantaris ICD-10 so if you list something else ie. porokeratosis its entirely possible that either (a) the payment is entirely denied (b) or the patient eats the entire fee schedule cost.

Looks like hardroadpaved is onto this also.

The tricky thing is the 17110 code is basically associated with the verruca plantaris ICD-10 so if you list something else ie. porokeratosis its entirely possible that either (a) the payment is entirely denied (b) or the patient eats the entire fee schedule cost.

when you punch biopsy them they come back as plantar warts. At least the ones I've sent came back that way.

Ive used fluorouracil with success. Insurance tends to not cover so its cash pay.

Debridement of them doesnt work long term. They always return. I havent tried epsom salt baths. I thought that the new thought of poromas is that they are not clogged sweat glands and that they are actually point mutations in the DNA?

Punch biopsy them works well w lido/epi but they scream w the shot and cant walk well for a day or two

D23.71/72. Don't call ExperienceDPM on me.

Tomorrow I will call Feli's practice and try to make an appointment for an ingrown toenail for my 108 year old grandmother. We shall see if his receptionist buys it.

Have only taken minors who can't sit still/ serious anxiety or those with so many warts - short of lighting the entire bottom of their foot on fire- we take them to OR.
For those kids I’ve prescribed 5-F/U.

when you punch biopsy them they come back as plantar warts. At least the ones I've sent came back that way.

Ive used fluorouracil with success. Insurance tends to not cover so its cash pay.

Debridement of them doesnt work long term. They always return. I havent tried epsom salt baths. I thought that the new thought of poromas is that they are not clogged sweat glands and that they are actually point mutations in the DNA?

Punch biopsy them works well w lido/epi but they scream w the shot and cant walk well for a day or two
"In my hands"..... debridement works long term. I am willing to believe not clogged sweat glands. I have done and promise to do ZERO research into what these are. I will keep up with my spiel and "treatment algorithm," I have less than 5 percent of people come back for these...and I will just be happy with the office visit on the first visit since I won't see them back. I miss my old MAC and paid callus debridement.

"In my hands"..... debridement works long term. I am willing to believe not clogged sweat glands. I have done and promise to do ZERO research into what these are. I will keep up with my spiel and "treatment algorithm," I have less than 5 percent of people come back for these...and I will just be happy with the office visit on the first visit since I won't see them back. I miss my old MAC and paid callus debridement.
They went down the street to the DPM with a Swift machine!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
They went down the street to the DPM with a Swfit machine!
If by down the street you meant drive 1.5 to 2.5 hours to see another podiatrist for a little baby waby bump on der wittle footsie wootsie.....then no. I think think this was actually a big benefit of being so rural, no place else for people to go. I saw my complications and failed results. No wound care center to pawn people off on. No other doc you could send to for a second opinion. My way or the highway. Sometimes I miss those days...

My observation on the Swift machine and IPKs or corns or porokeratosis or whatever you want to call them. They claim it is effective. This claim is based entirely from a case series with N=2 where after 6 months f/u NEITHER of the patients had the skin lesions resolve, just that they were softer and not as painful.

Whenever pts are busting my chops about their warts, I refer them to the numerous other doctors in my area who are using it. Like with many other dubious practice investments, Saorsa has a doctor finder for Swift treatments

I just wanted to remind everybody that I am a surgeon

• Haha
Our office has a swift. I have seen it work some miracles. My issue tends to be that 1) it hurts (we use local) 2) its cash pay and pricey 3) you can't tell the patient how many treatments its going to take. Could be 1 but could be 10. My partners use it quite a bit, prior to swift they performed panacos. I have reverted back to the panacos because it's one and done. I should have prefaced we use them on folks with extensive or spread out warts, not solitary small wart lesion. Our office gets a **** ton of wart referrals from multiple derm offices in our area.

Our office has a swift. I have seen it work some miracles. My issue tends to be that 1) it hurts (we use local) 2) its cash pay and pricey 3) you can't tell the patient how many treatments its going to take. Could be 1 but could be 10. My partners use it quite a bit, prior to swift they performed panacos. I have reverted back to the panacos because it's one and done. I should have prefaced we use them on folks with extensive or spread out warts, not solitary small wart lesion. Our office gets a **** ton of wart referrals from multiple derm offices in our area.
Do you have Tracy V on speed dial? Or any sweet consulting gigs? Are you interested in any? Are you a member of the Council of Plantar Warts?

Never heard of this... i’m intrigued.

For the Panacos - how deep of a lesion you implanting? Like subQ (punch biopsy-ish) depth? Or just a superficial shave once you are down to pinpoint bleeding?

Never heard of this... i’m intrigued.

For the Panacos - how deep of a lesion you implanting? Like subQ (punch biopsy-ish) depth? Or just a superficial shave once you are down to pinpoint bleeding?
What is CPT and how many RVUs is all I need to know

• Love
Do you have Tracy V on speed dial? Or any sweet consulting gigs? Are you interested in any? Are you a member of the Council of Plantar Warts?

I'll pass on the Tracy V offer, in general I avoid talking to other pods. However, I would make an exception for a fancy consulting gig, anything to get out of seeing more patients. Starting the council might actually result in a few consulting gigs, I'm just not sure I could handle debasing myself any further than I already have. Could also sell a "Seal of Approval" to the compound W folks. Hmmm... not a bad idea... although I think Council for the Management of Plantar Verruca sounds better. Thoughts?

Mike, punch biopsy depth would work, just need to make sure the tissue placed in the muscle belly contains the virus. I do generally try and remove the epidermal layer, as I was taught it could cause cyst formation. I thought this was BS, but ended up having a young patient develop a cyst 2 years after prior panacos.

I have an old article somewhere, i'll see if I can find it.

I'll pass on the Tracy V offer, in general I avoid talking to other pods. However, I would make an exception for a fancy consulting gig, anything to get out of seeing more patients. Starting the council might actually result in a few consulting gigs, I'm just not sure I could handle debasing myself any further than I already have. Could also sell a "Seal of Approval" to the compound W folks. Hmmm... not a bad idea... although I think Council for the Management of Plantar Verruca sounds better. Thoughts?

Mike, punch biopsy depth would work, just need to make sure the tissue placed in the muscle belly contains the virus. I do generally try and remove the epidermal layer, as I was taught it could cause cyst formation. I thought this was BS, but ended up having a young patient develop a cyst 2 years after prior panacos.

I have an old article somewhere, i'll see if I can find it.
Thnx!!!

I don't know RVU business but for us PP pods, this is a profitable endeavor. My office charges like $700 for this in office procedure that takes me <30 minutes including setup, preop/postop discussion, injection, and procedure. It is very low risk, works well and these are generally people that have had warts for years and failed all other tx. Also helps that most of the patients have come in from derm with a referral and already know to expect out of pocket expense.

Also, asking for a friend*, is there a scalpel involved? He is a surgeon after all and surgeons use scalpels.

I don't know RVU business but for us PP pods, this is a profitable endeavor. My office charges like $700 for this in office procedure that takes me <30 minutes including setup, preop/postop discussion, injection, and procedure. It is very low risk, works well and these are generally people that have had warts for years and failed all other tx. Also helps that most of the patients have come in from derm with a referral and already know to expect out of pocket expense.
Is it $700/visit or $700 for the full course of treatment? Do the 10x pts end up paying $7k?

I described Swift as a dubious investment because it depends heavily on how many patients have cash/hsa funds, but also on what else you can be doing with your time. You could get a lot done in 30 min without owning a swift machine.

Not trying to be critical, the way you describe it it's a good fit for you, but I know it wouldn't work in my practice.