Favorite OTC Orthotic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiyuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are y’all’s go-to OTC insoles?

I generally go with the Spenco Orthotic Arch (green topcoat and poly shell) as my go-to...

Powersteps Maxx for PCFD/PTTD patients given deep heel cup and medial RF posting...

Spenco Diabetic + for my callus patients/fat pad atrophy (thick enough to cut a hole under the IPK area, etc.)...

Tread Labs for a good, solid orthotic when patients are looking for longevity. For those who do not know... this company has a lifetime warranty on their orthotics, you can choose the arch height, and you can buy a replacement topcoat as it is just Velcro’d on. Neat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Powersteps. I tell them they can buy from the office if they want, but it's a little cheaper on Amazon. I only get a fraction from DME and OTC orthotics so I don't really care where they get it from as long as they get it.

If they have a fairly rectus foot, I tell them to get Powerstep original. Pes planus, go for the Maxx and then the occasional high arch/pes planus I tell them to get the Powerstep High. Seems to work for just about everybody. Been an attending since August and haven't had to do a single EPF or what have you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have a local store who carries Superfeet so I will usually recommend them unless I don’t want them to have the green superfeet then I print out appropriate powersteps on Amazon for them. Don’t sell anything out of the office. New Balance pressure relief insole (plastazote top cover) for OTC accommodative device

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
$1000 custom orthotics with gold flakes for additional healing capability.

• Haha
Powerstep for most.
If they have some metatarsalgia, Powerstep Pinnacle plus met pad
If they have a cavus foot with plantarflexed first ray, DonJoy Arch Rival

Reactions: 3 users
Been an attending since August and haven't had to do a single EPF or what have you.
Now you're not going to get your numbers and will never be part of the ABFAS.

I tell people to do Powersteps. They are all happy. I don't get anything for custom or OTC. Made me realize that in residency when I saw custom, it was a money maker. Custom are not worth the hassle in 99% of the people and the 1% that it is, I send them out.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't get anything for custom or OTC. Made me realize that in residency when I saw custom, it was a money maker.
I do a few customs for covered peds or Medicaid plans that will cover them per month. In 98% of people, I won’t let them pay $450 for customs but if their insurance will cover it, who am I to turn down a few hundos.

For anyone who asks if they need customs, I tell them for the vast majority of people OTC Powersteps will work just as well. However, if their insurance covers CMO’s, then they can if they want so they don’t have to pay out of pocket.

Spencer Total Support MAX are the best I've found. They'd definitely be my main line of arch supports, but the company that acquired Spenco (ImPlus) is not smart and won't sell them at a reasonable price for office resale ($28ea is best I've been offered... no way to profit on that when you account for stocking, tax, inventory, returns, etc). They are good quality, but that may slip soon also... as their sales/pricing sure has. I am selling out what I have and discontinuing them.

PowerStep are good... I use the ProTech as my main arch supports. A bit weak in support but a good all-around insole with a known name. I sell them for $50... can get them for 40% of that from many suppliers. Sell a lot... almost zero complaints.

PureStride are a good value option. I do those $30 and can again can get them 40% of that. They're a bit stiffer than PowerStep but decent quality... prob cheaper just because they're not a household name. I sell maybe a third as many as I do PowerSteps. I also have the pedi PureStride (3/4), but those rarely sell.

SuperFeet are one of the worst imo, I would not sell them over most of their peer arch supports. They have almost no forefoot cushion. They are too stiff for most ppl. Some like them, but they'd probably also like competitors better.

Sole are good and worth looking into. Their gray/red (active medium) are legit. Some running stores sell them... very similar to PowerStep ProTech. I may look into pricing on them once I clearance out my Spenco Total Support MAX. I don't want to carry more than 3 lines of adult arch supports... plus peds ones... plus accommodative DM prefabs). If anyone uses Sole and likes them, PM me supplier.... or lmk to save me time if their pricing is unreasonable like Spenco has become. 👍

Last edited:
SuperFeet are one of the worst imo, I would not sell them over most of their peer arch supports. They have almost no forefoot cushion. They are too stiff for most ppl. Some like them, but they'd probably also like competitors better.

Have you tested all 90 of their different color versions? One time I told a patient they should get the orange versions but they almost died because they actually needed the copper versions.

I tried Sole and Superfeet in residency when I picked up a free pair of each at a local convention. Was not impressed.

Powerstep has always been my go to, it meets my patients' needs. I've mentioned before about the Powerstep GROW program if you don't want to manage inventory and if you feel dirty selling things to patients. You fill out a product recommendation, patient goes online and buys whatever (10% discount), enters your personal doctor code, and you earn a commission. I have earned dozens of dollars in commission off of people buying their various flip flops and slippers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Powersteps is the only correct answer

• Haha
Then I will go with vionic orthotics. 👀
That is go to shoes for women. And men for casual. Asics Gt2000 is great for 90 percent of people. Have just started telling women to get vionic athletic shoes as well

Anything brooks GTS is awesome. Have switched to launch GTS but I think they have ghost and glycerin. And 40 percent off via sports ambassador is no brainwr.

Don’t get difference between GTS and normal models 🤔
More rigid medial support. Very noticeable. All about the midsole, brah.

I had a patient who had custom orthoses from a few docs with no relief. He told me that he resolved his problem himself and his feet feel great.

Of course I was curious to see what helped and he showed me his shoes and his “insole” was a Kotex Maxi pad. I was tempted to tell him it must also be great at absorbing sweat.

So my new go to is a box of Maxi Pads. That’s all I have to say. Period.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users