Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It varied by programs, but for the most part it was staff from the admissions office.
-Yale had local (Chicago) Health Management alumni.
-Harvard had the SPH Admissions director.
-NYU Wagner had an assistant admissions director.
-UCLA had the Dean for Student Affairs from the SPH.

I did notice that the MAJORITY of attendees were not in business casual dress (I wasn't either), so dressing up a little would help you stand out. Is it going to be at UIC again?

That works. I'm very excited for it. Hopefully whoever the representatives are will have enough clout to pass on the word about me to the right people. It's interesting that you say that because I noticed that most people dressed up for the MBA fairs I've attached. I was thinking about wearing a full suit and tie, too much? I really want to make a good impression because every program in my top 5 will be there. And yes, it's at UIC again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All
Thanks for this wonderful forum and insightful discussions.:)

I am planning to apply for JHU-MHA, Harvard-MSc, UNC-MHA, UW-MHA and UMich-MHSA.

My revised GRE score will be available by mid-late November.

Need to know the following:-
1. minimum/average GRE score to get admission in above courses.
2. As JHU-MHA internship is usually paid...what is the avg. monthly stipend for the class of 2011/2012....or any general idea/specific information.
3. What about internships of other institutes....are they paid?

Thanks
MD

Hello all,

Just submitted my applications for Fall 2012 acceptances! Good luck to everyone else and stay warm. Winter is coming....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my invite for an interview with VCU MHA next month, pretty excited! Any one else going to be there? Is it true that they accept some students at the interview?

I'm interested in a MPH focusing on Community and Behavioral health sciences. I would like to focus on minority health disparities.

My Stats:

GPA: 3.69 from a reputable liberal arts college. Majored in Psychology and minored in Sociology. SOPHAS calculated my GPA breakdown in a favorable way with my lowest being a 3.6 and my highest a 4.0.

New GRE: not my best work... horrible at standardized test taking.

*recs. 1 from Professor/academic adviser, 1 from Professor/community based learning supervisor, and 1 from current boss, he is a Principal Investigator for the project Im working on. All solid recs.

Experience: *In year 2 of a clinical research position at large hospital.

* During my undergraduate years served as a Director of a community based learning program in a low-income city.

* internship at a non-profit child advocacy agency focusing on health care reform.

-- Solid Statement of Purpose

Schools applied to: BU,Columbia, GWU, University of Pittsburgh, University of Connecticut, Brown, Drexel, New York Medical College, NYU, Dartmouth

I know I probably went a little overboard on the number of schools I applied to... but I was anxious about my low GRE scores.

Accepted: University of Pittsburgh, New York Medical College, Drexel University, BU, NYU, Dartmouth

Still waiting on the others....

Last edited:
Because you spend more time on SDN than on your applications...

The final deadline to be considered for the dean's merit scholarship at USC is tomorrow! :luck:

so, submit all of ya apps by tomorrow!

hey everyone, i am currently in my second year of an MHSA program and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the application process, pre-reqs, programs, etc. I have some time (over break) and would like to help you out as much as possible -- many sdn students did the same for me last year.

Applied: JHU, NYU, GW, Washington, VCU, North Carolina, Georgetown, RUSH
Accepted: All but North Carolina
GPA: 3.5
Work experience: 2yrs (non-healthcare related)
Attending: Georgetown

I considered only MHSA/MHA programs or those with a heavy emphasis on health systems administration. As such, my understanding and knowledge of MPH programs is limited.

@ gatsby16

What made you choose Georgetown over the other schools you were accepted to?

@ gatsby16

What made you choose Georgetown over the other schools you were accepted to?

I chose it for three reasons:

1. it's 2yr curriculum included a residency and executive mentor program;
2. it's focus on quality and performance improvement and relationship with Georgetown University Hospital
3. and the leadership/networking opportunities for students

hey everyone, i am currently in my second year of an MHSA program and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the application process, pre-reqs, programs, etc. I have some time (over break) and would like to help you out as much as possible -- many sdn students did the same for me last year.

Applied: JHU, NYU, GW, Washington, VCU, North Carolina, Georgetown, RUSH
Accepted: All but North Carolina
GPA: 3.5
Work experience: 2yrs (non-healthcare related)
Attending: Georgetown

I considered only MHSA/MHA programs or those with a heavy emphasis on health systems administration. As such, my understanding and knowledge of MPH programs is limited.

Gatsby,

Not to steal your thunder, but I am also available to answer any questions.

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU Wagner, Hopkins, UCLA, Rush, UTHSC Houston
Accepted: All except Harvard and Yale
GPA: 3.74
Work experience: 3yrs direct patient care care, 3yrs indirect patient care
Attending: UCLA

Last edited:
HI all!

I'm about to submit my SOPHAS application; I know I'm very late :( can you guys give me your input regarding my status.. am i a good candidate?

GPA= 3.9
GRE=( bad) total 305, AWA=4.0
1.5 years work experience as registered nurse (work experience related to my goal in MPH)
good LOR
personal statement intertwined with my life history
international student(US undergrad) - I speak four languages
many voluntary work (mainly with autistic children)
one published work (undergrad research paper)

I'm planning to apply dual degree in MPH/MSN; MPH in CDE concentrating in Global health. I'm interested at Yale, Columbia and Emory.

Thanks for your inputs.

305 out of what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Good luck to everyone that applied this round!

I will be applying to MHA programs this Fall and am trying to gauge my chances.

GPA: 3.2
GMAT: 710 (was thinking about going the MBA route instead after a few years but decided against it)
Experience: 1.5 year non-healthcare work experience, 6 months with healthcare related non-profit (policy/advocacy), 2 years healthcare consulting by matriculation (provider operations - current position), hospital volunteering and other extracurriculars in addition to multiple jobs back in undergrad

My goal is to obtain an administrative fellowship at a large academic health system and then grow from there.

Any idea what my chances are at:
UMich MHSA
UNC MHA
Minnesota MHA
VCU MHA
Washington MHA
Rush MS-HSM
Alabama-Birmingham MSHA
Cornell MHA
and any others you would recommend? (I have a few more that I'm looking at but would like to apply to 10 schools or less)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Best of luck to you all throughout the application process. As of now, I'm applying for an area MHA degree. If accepted, I'll earn my JD in Health Law and MHA concurrently within four years. I'm a first year law student with prior medical experience. Any fellow JD/MHA applicants?

Last edited:
I have my JD. Where are you applying to?

Best of luck to you all throughout the application process. As of now, I'm applying for an area MHA degree. If accepted, I'll earn my JD in Health Law and MHA concurrently within four years. I'm a first year law student with prior medical experience. Any fellow JD/MHA applicants?

Just a quick update:

GPA: 3.28

GMAT: 710 (92nd percentile) AWA: 6.0 (92nd percentile)

Major: Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development
Minor: Political Science

Experience:
-2 summers as an NIH-funded research intern
-1 summer as an intern at strategic planning department of a major hospital
-3 years on executive board of fraternity

Applied (MHA): JHU, Minnesota, Missouri, Trinity, VCU
Accepted: Missouri
Waiting: JHU (interview scheduled), Minnesota (interview scheduled), Trinity, VCU (interview scheduled)

Last edited:
Is anybody interviewing with Georgetown on February 13?

Hello! Good luck to everyone that applied this round!

I will be applying to MHA programs this Fall and am trying to gauge my chances.

GPA: 3.2
GMAT: 710 (was thinking about going the MBA route instead after a few years but decided against it)
Experience: 1.5 year non-healthcare work experience, 6 months with healthcare related non-profit (policy/advocacy), 2 years healthcare consulting by matriculation (provider operations - current position), hospital volunteering and other extracurriculars in addition to multiple jobs back in undergrad

My goal is to obtain an administrative fellowship at a large academic health system and then grow from there.

Any idea what my chances are at:
UMich MHSA
UNC MHA
Minnesota MHA
VCU MHA
Washington MHA
Rush MS-HSM
Alabama-Birmingham MSHA
Cornell MHA
and any others you would recommend? (I have a few more that I'm looking at but would like to apply to 10 schools or less)

Thanks!

Bump

Why not apply to Hopkins which, depending on the residency location/scope, already has a built in "fellowship" into their program?

You should definitely be admitted to all the programs. Your numbers and experience in healthcare operations consulting would be an asset to any class.

Michigan tends to place very well when it comes to administrative fellowships.

Why not apply to Hopkins which, depending on the residency location/scope, already has a built in "fellowship" into their program?

You should definitely be admitted to all the programs. Your numbers and experience in healthcare operations consulting would be an asset to any class.

Michigan tends to place very well when it comes to administrative fellowships.

Thanks for the feedback. PM sent to not derail the 2012 applicants any further :smuggrin:

Has anyone already interviewed with Cornell? I'm told it's pretty straight forward, my interview is this Friday (yikes!).

Haven't heard anything back from them yet...when did you apply?

And, good luck! :thumbup:

Has anyone already interviewed with Cornell? I'm told it's pretty straight forward, my interview is this Friday (yikes!).

Haven't heard anything back from them yet...when did you apply?

And, good luck! :thumbup:

My application was completed on 1/25 and I was asked for an interview 3 days later! When did you submit your application? If you're concerned with the turn around I might suggest emailing Julie, the director of admissions. She's incredibly helpful and very timely with her responses.

My application was completed on 1/25 and I was asked for an interview 3 days later! When did you submit your application? If you're concerned with the turn around I might suggest emailing Julie, the director of admissions. She's incredibly helpful and very timely with her responses.

That's probably a good sign for ya! Mine was completed in December...hmm....let us know how it goes!

Hi everyone. I am so glad that I found this forum. I have been trying to find MHA information from another forum for a while without any luck.
I will be applying for an MHA program for fall 2013.
Which programs are the easiest to get accepted to? I am definitely applying to Texas State University and Texas A&M-Health Science Center (and Baylor's Healthcare MBA) because they are all in my home state. However, I do not want to restrict myself to these three schools.
What other top (CAHME) programs offer the highest acceptance rates? I am not very optimistic about applying to Cornell or Johns Hopkins but would like to apply to the best schools that I have an actual shot of getting accepted to.
Quick stats:
I am an unconventional student as I joined the Military out of HS.
3.9 undergrad gpa while working full time (November 15, 2012 conferral)
3 years Active Duty Veteran (Healthcare field - Hospital Corpsman)
5 years Navy Reserve Hospital Corpsman
5 years professional experience outside military-current employer (Not healthcare)
Goal: Healthcare Administrative Naval Officer
Extras- mostly just working full time while getting my BS, running marathons for St Jude Children's Hospital, volunteer national science fair judge, volunteer at my daughter's school.
Haven't taken the GMAT or GRE yet.
Cons: unknown (outside of the government sector) online undergrad institution-American Military University. Is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association.

Should probably add that my major now is Environmental Science with a concentration in Environmental Technology and Management. My original plan when I started my degree was to get an MPH in Environmental and Occupational Health, but I have decided I am more interested in business in a hospital setting.
I will also be getting (maybe if time permits before app deadline) various environmental science certifications and hazardous materials certifications if that is worth mentioning on an app.

So what schools do you think I have a realistic shot of being accepted to?

Oh, one more thing :). I am applying concurrently to the Navy's Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP). If accepted, the Navy pays me a salary to go to school. However, if I am not accepted to the HSCP then I will not be able to attend a a full time MHA program as I still have a family to provide for. Does anyone know which programs, among those that I should apply for, offer weekend and evening classes to cater to the working individual?

Thanks!

I have an interview with Cornell soon.

I interviewed with Cornell three weeks ago and was accepted that Friday (when the admissions committee meets). It was really straightforward. I basically was just asked about things on my application that stood out to the admissions committee.

Anyone visiting Cornell in March?

Had my interview with Cornell this morning. Very straight forward - Why Cornell? Why an MHA? What are your career goals? A lot of the questions came straight out of my resume/personal statement. It felt more like a conversation as oppossed to an interview. Seemed to go pretty well. I was told that I can expect a decision this thursday. :xf:

oh thanks for the reply 305 is for the combined (V+Q) revised GRE, out of 370..

Hey, I'm sure you were stronger on the quantitative section but uh.....its out of 340

Just got accepted at Johns Hopkins!

My career goal is to become a CEO of a hospital, and I am trying to decide what school to go to based off of that. I've been accepted to UNC and GW and am waiting to hear back from VCU and UW. If I got in to all of them, I think I would choose VCU over the others because I know VCU is focused on becoming an executive of a hospital, not dealing with as many policy classes. I'm not sure if not having as many policy classes is good for the CEO route. Not sure. UNC is respected more it seems like and could help me get a better job. Any thoughts?

Interviewed with Georgetown today, excellent program. Still waiting to hear back from Cornell :xf:

Anyone out there going to/been accepted to Rush Health Systems Management in Chicago??

Large, heavy envelope from USC just arrived in the mail. Too bad I'm not there to open it. I'll hear back in 24hours from the rents.:thumbup:

Sounds like you got in to me. What region are you doing your undergrad btw?

Accepted to USC as a Dean's Merit Scholar (Full tuition).

@ Wickel. Midwest region, brah. It's in between the west and east coasts just in case you have problems trying to locate it. :p

Accepted to USC as a Dean's Merit Scholar (Full tuition).

@ Wickel. Midwest region, brah. It's in between the west and east coasts just in case you have problems trying to locate it. :p

Congrats. My friend was accepted as a Dean's Merit Scholar as well. And I'm doing my undergrad in the midwest as well, no worries.

hey guys i have been following this for almost a year now. I have applied for MHA - fall 2012.
Since I am from India, I have phone interview with Texas A&M on March 5th.Please can anyone tell me what all to prepare for the interview...

Thank you

Congrats. My friend was accepted as a Dean's Merit Scholar as well. And I'm doing my undergrad in the midwest as well, no worries.

Actually, I have graduated already. Wait, didn't you tell me you are a Red Hawk?

Hi
Can any one give me insight about MHA program of University of Iowa and MHA/MBA program of Georgia State University?
Thanks