Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madison575

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone-
I was planning on applying to MHA programs this summer for Fall 2012. I haven't seen any postings yet for people applying for this cycle so I thought I would get one started to discuss any issues or help each other out.

I know that personally I am a little worried about my application status and would love anyones advice about how to make my app stronger. I graduated in 2010 from a state university with majors in Business management and Psychology with a 3.5 gpa. I always enjoyed being around hospitals but I guess thought you had to be a doctor or a nurse to work in healthcare (and science is not my strong suit). I never thought of making a career out of healthcare MANAGEMENT until this past year so I feel that I am verryyyyy behind!! I literally have no healthcare experience so as of right now my application is a joke.

I will be taking the GRE in June and July (depending on my scores) and am about to begin volunteering at a large hospital in downtown Chicago. I have been looking for jobs in a doctors office, hospital, etc anything! but have had no luck as my no experience is once again biting me in the butt.

If anyone has any advice (good or bad!), encouragement, wants to share etc... feel free!! I'm excited to hear where everyone else is at in the process :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone-
I was planning on applying to MHA programs this summer for Fall 2012. I haven't seen any postings yet for people applying for this cycle so I thought I would get one started to discuss any issues or help each other out.

I know that personally I am a little worried about my application status and would love anyones advice about how to make my app stronger. I graduated in 2010 from a state university with majors in Business management and Psychology with a 3.5 gpa. I always enjoyed being around hospitals but I guess thought you had to be a doctor or a nurse to work in healthcare (and science is not my strong suit). I never thought of making a career out of healthcare MANAGEMENT until this past year so I feel that I am verryyyyy behind!! I literally have no healthcare experience so as of right now my application is a joke.

I will be taking the GRE in June and July (depending on my scores) and am about to begin volunteering at a large hospital in downtown Chicago. I have been looking for jobs in a doctors office, hospital, etc anything! but have had no luck as my no experience is once again biting me in the butt.

If anyone has any advice (good or bad!), encouragement, wants to share etc... feel free!! I'm excited to hear where everyone else is at in the process :)

NMH? Paid experience usually looks best, but I'd take a volunteer administrative internship over being a candy striper. Try finding administrators through linkedin, especially alumni from programs you are considering applying to.

Count me in. :soexcited:

MHA programs I'll be applying to: USC and Cornell.

Also, I'll be applying to MPH programs with a concentration in health management.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I am planning to apply to any programs in MI and IL, not sure which ones yet depending on what my application looks like at that time.

I'm running into the problem of not being able to get an entry level job in the healthcare industry. I have a background in retail customer service and working as administrative assistant in college. I've been applying to any jobs for the past 3 months but they all say that I do not have enough relative experience. It's frustrating because then how am I supposed to get experience if they won't give me an entry level job?! That's why I've decided to turn to volunteering. It is something I can do that will hopefully give me "healthcare" experience, at least enough to get an entry level job.

Does anyone have any advice how to bypass this system?

And is this something that is really important to an MHA application? Work experience? Would I be better off applying for an MBA program that has a focus on Healthcare since I have quite a bit more business (not necessarily healthcare) experience?

And is this something that is really important to an MHA application? Work experience? Would I be better off applying for an MBA program that has a focus on Healthcare since I have quite a bit more business (not necessarily healthcare) experience?

the only CAHME accredited MBA program in Michigan or Illinois is at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern.

Admission there would be definitely much tougher than at other MHA/MPH programs. 12% admission rate, average work experience of 3-7 years, average GMAT 714, etc.

Yeah exactly why I would prefer to not do the MBA... I feel like my chances are shot haha

Yeah exactly why I would prefer to not do the MBA... I feel like my chances are shot haha

There are many MHA programs that take students straight out of undergrad. You just have to be willing to cast a wider net.

good luck

if i were you, i would apply to schools at other states besides MI and IL. applying to Michigan for an MHSA or NU for an MBA degree is pretty "tuff" :O

Thanks for the advice and help everyone.
I am going to begin volunteering in 2 weeks and hopefully gain some additional experience/information on the process.

Hello!

I will be joining you guys in the application process too!

I'm from New Zealand, where GRE and GMAT is not used by universities. Which exam do US universities prefer their candidates to take?

Hello!

I will be joining you guys in the application process too!

I'm from New Zealand, where GRE and GMAT is not used by universities. Which exam do US universities prefer their candidates to take?

to where are you applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
An MHA at the likes of VCU, JHU, George Washington, and Cornell at the moment. I'm still researching and finding out which schools are the better ones.

i would suggest taking the GRE.

in general, all schools of public health accept the GRE, while only some schools accept the GMAT. GMAT would be a more appropriate exam if you were pursuing your MBA.

-waystinthyme

I'm ALWAYS so excited to see other students applying the same round as me for MHA programs. I'm going into my Senior at one of Chicago's top universities and I'm pursuing a B.S. in Health Systems Management as well as a B.A. in Spanish. I'm applying to BOTH MHA and MPH-Health Policy & Management programs, being that they're so comparable. My GPA currently sits at 3.2, but it'll be higher once I actually apply. My top choices are JHU, UMich, NYU, and Yale. But I'm also considering Rush, Cornell, and UNC. I'm going to be working hard this summer to get a head start on my application materials. Good luck to you!

I'm ALWAYS so excited to see other students applying the same round as me for MHA programs. I'm going into my Senior at one of Chicago's top universities and I'm pursuing a B.S. in Health Systems Management as well as a B.A. in Spanish. I'm applying to BOTH MHA and MPH-Health Policy & Management programs, being that they're so comparable. My GPA currently sits at 3.2, but it'll be higher once I actually apply. My top choices are JHU, UMich, NYU, and Yale. But I'm also considering Rush, Cornell, and UNC. I'm going to be working hard this summer to get a head start on my application materials. Good luck to you!

if you're looking to go into hospital administration, you may also want to consider VCU...they are a 'department' instead of a 'school of public health' but their healthcare management program is top-notch, and they provide a lot of opportunities for their students.

-waystinthyme

if you're looking to go into hospital administration, you may also want to consider VCU...they are a 'department' instead of a 'school of public health' but their healthcare management program is top-notch, and they provide a lot of opportunities for their students.

-waystinthyme

Admittedly, I haven't taken the time out to explore VCU, but it seems as though MANY people on these boards interested in hosp. admin. apply to their MHA program...I might consider it down the line, but I'm pretty happy with my list for now.

Hello all!

Thought I'd join this thread after following it for a while!

Im another New Zealander applying for MHA and MPH in health mangament for 2012 entry!

sitting gre this july..eek!

Good luck to everyone :)

Anybody considering the spring semester of 2012? Pls post your stats and the schools to which you are applying.

hey yeah I finish off this december so I'd like to start in spring, but then again the better schools only offer a fall start! But atm Im applying to BU MPH spring start. Do you recommend any other schools?

gpa ATM is roughly 3.7, but still got the rest of the year to go before its finalised

gre to be taken

Count me in! I'm scheduled to take the GRE in August, and currently I am completing an internship at a large hospital system in the Seattle area. I have another lined up for summer quarter through a non-profit focusing on health policy research. I've tried to focus on health policy internships, as that is the direction I plan on pursuing in graduate school.

Currently the list of schools I plan on applying to are UW, Johns Hopkins, and UMICH at the moment. Other than the two internships I have set up, I have zero health policy experience. I'm hoping these two, which should accumulate to 9 months by summers end, will suffice for application requirements.

I look forward to keeping in touch with all of you!

@ hbat009

Try Tulane, University of Pittsburgh and UT SPH. They are good schools too. Good Luck!

Thanks Shenya, - will look into that!

Also, I'm quite new to SOPHAS - just signed up, and have a quick question..

I'm just getting together my recommendations atm, but if I submit before August 15 when SHOPHAS close for the year, will it all be deleted when they reopen?

I'll be out of the country for my final semester when SOPHAS reopens on September, so just want to get everything sorted before I left!

Any ideas on if I can submit early or ask the recommenders to email in Sept?

Cheers,
Hannah

Sadly, yes they will be deleted..Even I have that problem because I am applying to Boston University and their spring application opens after SOPHAS closes so I have to ask my recommenders again.

But you can still apply to 7-8 schools that are still open(Tulane, Uni of Pittsburgh, UT SPH, Texas A&M etc) and think about other schools later.

Here is the e mail I got from SOPHAS about them closing in August 15th

SOPHAS will close on August 15 and will reopen on September 14. After September 14, applicants whose applications were completed and mailed to at least one school of public health in the previous cycle will have the option to carryover most application information to the new application cycle.

Information which will carry-over:
- Biographical and contact information
- Verified coursework (cannot be modified in new application cycle)
- Work & research experience and honors & awards
- Self-reported test scores
- Official test scores (cannot be modified in new application cycle)

Items which will not carry-over:
- CV/Resume
- Statement of purpose and objectives
- Unverified coursework
- School designations
- Recommendations*

*Applicants intending to use this reapplication process should advise their references that they will need to respond to a new reference request in the new application cycle. Recommendations DO NOT carry-over from cycle to cycle.

Thank you!

SOPHAS Staff

Good Luck!

I would go with number 2, the history prof, just make sure that when you ask her to write you a LOR, that she will write you a STRONG one.

I'm also applying to public health programs for Fall 2012. I graduated from college in 2010 with a degree in biology and will have been teaching high school biology through the nonprofit Teach For America for 2 years by the time I enter grad school. I'm scheduled to take the GRE this July and will be teaching HIV/AIDS education abroad through a nonprofit this summer. I know I want to apply to Epi programs, but here are some thoughts and concerns I've been having:

I've heard many mixed reviews about how useful and how much room for growth there is with an MPH degree. I've researched different MPH programs and I know that the types of classes, research, and field work that typically is associated with MPH programs is exactly what I want to pursue in grad school. However, I'm just concerned about what comes after grad school. I know there's different sectors of public health you can work in, and I'm sure I can find something I really enjoy for a little while, but I want to ensure that there is room for growth -- both professionally and financially. Even though I'm choosing to pursue public health because I'm passionate about it, I don't want to leave the education profession to spend money on grad school and then make the same amount I made as a teacher. For this reason, I'm thinking I would probably want to pursue a PhD in addition to an MPH, but as far as I know, there is only 1 school to which you can apply directly to their PhD program without an MPH (UNC).

I live in LA and I'm very interested in the MPH program at UCLA, but again, I'm worried that it's going to be a big financial burden (even with in-state tuition) without a clear sign that I'm going to be able to pay back loans after I graduate from the program. Another option is to apply to PhD programs after I complete an MPH, but I'm still concerned about the financial burden.

I really want to go through with the application process, but I'm feeling uneasy... could anyone who has gone through this process comment on the financial and practical aspects of apply to and utilizing the MPH and/or PhD degree in Epi?

I'm also applying to public health programs for Fall 2012. I graduated from college in 2010 with a degree in biology and will have been teaching high school biology through the nonprofit Teach For America for 2 years by the time I enter grad school. I'm scheduled to take the GRE this July and will be teaching HIV/AIDS education abroad through a nonprofit this summer. I know I want to apply to Epi programs, but here are some thoughts and concerns I've been having:

I've heard many mixed reviews about how useful and how much room for growth there is with an MPH degree. I've researched different MPH programs and I know that the types of classes, research, and field work that typically is associated with MPH programs is exactly what I want to pursue in grad school. However, I'm just concerned about what comes after grad school. I know there's different sectors of public health you can work in, and I'm sure I can find something I really enjoy for a little while, but I want to ensure that there is room for growth -- both professionally and financially. Even though I'm choosing to pursue public health because I'm passionate about it, I don't want to leave the education profession to spend money on grad school and then make the same amount I made as a teacher. For this reason, I'm thinking I would probably want to pursue a PhD in addition to an MPH, but as far as I know, there is only 1 school to which you can apply directly to their PhD program without an MPH (UNC).

I live in LA and I'm very interested in the MPH program at UCLA, but again, I'm worried that it's going to be a big financial burden (even with in-state tuition) without a clear sign that I'm going to be able to pay back loans after I graduate from the program. Another option is to apply to PhD programs after I complete an MPH, but I'm still concerned about the financial burden.

I really want to go through with the application process, but I'm feeling uneasy... could anyone who has gone through this process comment on the financial and practical aspects of apply to and utilizing the MPH and/or PhD degree in Epi?

Quite frankly, I don't know the answer to your question. This is actually an MHA thread. Perhaps, you could start an MPH thread and someone could answer your questions?

VM

Last edited:
Hi Madison575,
If you are in Chicago, I would suggest looking at craigslist for research assistant postings for Rush. They often have a number of RA positions open for public health studies. A lot of it is data collection and going out to data collection sites, but it gets you in the door. I realize it is more MPH related than MHA but chances are you will get better experience and perhaps more opportunities for more administrative experiences.

Also, if you have any interest in Chicago schools, then you are already set up at Rush. I applied to UIC as a safety school of sorts and I didn't expect to go there but I found this amazing fellowship opportunity at Rush that was too good to pass up, so I will work there part-time and go to UIC. It is worth looking into.

Jaya

What kind of relevant experience are universities looking for in MHA applicants? I've interned in the finance and operations side for a few months, and I'm looking at some current part time openings at my local hospital and there are some hospital orderly and admin officer positions available. Which would be the better position to go for in regards to strengthening my application?

Assuming you have no other healthcare related activities on your resume, I would choose the part time job at the local hospital. :thumbup:

What kind of relevant experience are universities looking for in MHA applicants? I've interned in the finance and operations side for a few months, and I'm looking at some current part time openings at my local hospital and there are some hospital orderly and admin officer positions available. Which would be the better position to go for in regards to strengthening my application?

Last edited:
hey champs,

how much does an AWA score matter in my application?
i scored in the 93 percentile in the verbal section but got a 3.5 in the writing section. :banana:

o_0

VM

Last edited:
From what I've heard they don't put much importance on the writing section. I just got done with the GRE and scored a 670 in Quant which was a little lower than I wanted :mad:. Hope i'm still decently competitive with the rest of my app.

From what I've heard they don't put much importance on the writing section. I just got done with the GRE and scored a 670 in Quant which was a little lower than I wanted :mad:. Hope i'm still decently competitive with the rest of my app.

What's your composite score?

If ~1200, you're fine.

Last edited:
composite was 1220. Not many of the schools give much info on average GRE scores. I'm looking to apply to Yale, Ohio State, Xavier, South Carolina, and Boston U's programs to start out. What programs you lookin at veggie?

Your GRE score is jolly good.

For some reason my signature doesn't work, which shows where I'm applying to...

Anyways, I'm applying to USC and Columbia (MPH: Health Management Track). I was gonna apply to Yale as well but decided not to.

Last edited:
Very nice. Hoping to get everything in my application submitted by early October. Any idea how long it takes most schools to make a decision. It would be nice to know I'm in a few schools before the semester ends

Same. I want to submit everything by early October.

I think from late Feb to late March?

Anyone wana double check?

hay guys i m a dentist from i have 3.82 GPA ...85 in toefl ibt and 1 year of dental experience and 1 yr of experience in public health dentistry...
but i have low GRE score 970 :scared:

plz guys tell me where i stand :confused:

thanks in advance

DIS: Your work experience will def be looked upon very favorably. I would def try to get that GRE score up over 1,000 though. If you look at many of the sites that is their competitive minimum.

Same. I want to submit everything by early October.

I think from late Feb to late March?

Anyone wana double check?

I applied to Columbia's HP&M program in right before their deadline and got accepted the 2nd week of February, although many people did not hear back until much later.

DIS: Your work experience will def be looked upon very favorably. I would def try to get that GRE score up over 1,000 though. If you look at many of the sites that is their competitive minimum.

Thanks for replying Mystikal

Question to everyone! Is it okay to go to an MHA program that is NOT CAHME accredited but is accredited by others "CSUN is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and the Health Administration program is a certified member of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration."

I really would like to attend their program since it's close to where I live already and their classes are evening so I could work in the area and attend class...any suggestions?

Question to everyone! Is it okay to go to an MHA program that is NOT CAHME accredited but is accredited by others "CSUN is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and the Health Administration program is a certified member of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration."

I really would like to attend their program since it's close to where I live already and their classes are evening so I could work in the area and attend class...any suggestions?

It depends on your career goals and career placements by CSUN. Personally, I would not attend a school that is not CAHME accredited because I want to pursue an administrative fellowship after graduation, which required me to receive an MHA degree that is CAHME accredited.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, my main issue is that while I won't be graduating until spring and taking another 30 units to do so, my GPA probably won't be up to a 3.0 per last 60 units due to my grades this last academic year :-/ would schools you think accept a letter of explanation for my grades?

Thank you for the reply, my main issue is that while I won't be graduating until spring and taking another 30 units to do so, my GPA probably won't be up to a 3.0 per last 60 units due to my grades this last academic year :-/ would schools you think accept a letter of explanation for my grades?

You can explain the situation in your SOP? Did you pwn the GRE?

Have not taken the GRE yet, still studying for it. I'm still weighing between applying for Fall 2012 or working for a year and applying for 2013, but I'm definitely leaning towards 2012.

I'd be able to explain it for sure, long story short a family member who I was very close to was ill for a while then we found out it was cancer and he passed away shortly into the Spring semester. So I sort of stopped caring about school and am still trying to get out of the funk, of course I'd word it in a much better way on my SOP but that's the gist of it.

EDIT: Do you have to do a fellowship for MHA? I know CSUN helps with residency which I know you need to do...

Last edited: