fall 2008 acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats, wearepsu! That is great news!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Got Dartmouth today via email...

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to only the health management and policy or health finance/management courses.

Waiting on :

UMich
Yale
U of Minnesota

Still ( yes,STILL) to apply to:

JHU
Columbia
Cornell
BU

I've been reading a lot of threads on the MPH programs here but havent heard a word on Minnesota which is surprising considering it was ranked# 2 by USNews. Minnesota is supposed to take a telephonic interview and they said they'd have that arranged for me soon but I still dont know whether they do that for all candidates or for the ones who have made a particular shortlist. I'd be grateful for any information !

I just got into Hopkins MHS program. found out via email

Congrats! Which MHS course did you get into? I'm applying to the MHS program in Health Finance and Management at JHU too.

How long did they take to process your application ? How soon did you get to know? Are you an international applicant?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you wont mind!

Congrats! Which MHS course did you get into? I'm applying to the MHS program in Health Finance and Management at JHU too.

How long did they take to process your application ? How soon did you get to know? Are you an international applicant?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you wont mind!

Thanks! No problem at all...

I applied to the MHS in Epi, and was accepted directly into their department (so Health Fiance and Management could have a different timetable).

I sent my application in at the end of october, I am not an international applicant.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

I was accepted into BU in late December for Fall 2008, but I applied pretty early (I finished my applications in late October)

applied to:
U of Mn epi
U of Mich epi
BU epi
EUROPUBHEALTH epi (quatitative studies)

accepted:
U of Minnesota!

waiting: other three

applied to:
U of Mn epi
U of Mich epi
BU epi
EUROPUBHEALTH epi (quatitative studies)

accepted:
U of Minnesota!

waiting: other three

Congratulations on Minnesota! It was the first application I sent but they are yet to schedule my telephonic interview. Any idea how that goes? Do you know anyone who applied for the MHA program?

Just an FYI, Minnesota may take a while. Call the major coordinators if you're getting antsy. The semester here doesn't start back again until next week, so they may be slow right now as we're still technically on break.

Also, I didn't have to do a phone interview (I started my program fall 2007) so that might just be for specific programs (??).

Accepted to Dartmouth today

Just an FYI, Minnesota may take a while. Call the major coordinators if you're getting antsy. The semester here doesn't start back again until next week, so they may be slow right now as we're still technically on break.

Also, I didn't have to do a phone interview (I started my program fall 2007) so that might just be for specific programs (??).

Thanks a lot for the information. I did contact one of the coordinators and she said that they would get in touch with me to setup the interview. I am surprised you didnt have one but I wonder if its only for the MHA people that they have interviews. Would you know any MHA students? UMN is one of my priority schools and I still dont know anybody in the course. I wonder if that makes a difference but it sure would help to know how the graduates fare.

Yes, I know someone in the MHA program. She seems to be doing well and will be graduating in May. We are provided a lot of opportunities and resources to get out in the community and do internships and field experiences so that'll help you when you're out in the job market.

At the beginning of the school year, you're able to request to be set up with a mentor (someone who is working in your area of interest), which I believe is extremely beneficial and has been a great help to me. Apparently we have the largest SPH mentoring program in the country. I am in the maternal and child health MPH program, but this program applies to all majors in the School of Public Health.

If you have further questions, feel free to send me a PM, as I don't want to derail this thread too much. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
snail mail yesterday (1/20). MPH applicant, current MD student. PM me if you need more info. Best of luck to all!

still waiting on:
harvard
umich (mpp)
princeton (mpp)
duke (mpp)

also accepted to hopkins mph. current m.d. student. Received a letter and their magazine in the mail, and an update on their application status page. Does anyone know when they will give us more info?

good luck everyone.

got accepted into Emory on friday!

still waiting on Berkely, UCLA, Harvard and a few others that i most likely won't go to since i got Emory.

Congrats, everyone! Very impressive acceptances across the board.

Hopefully I will be getting some responses in the next month or so, and I can figure out who my classmates will be. This waiting game is rough.

Emory Behavioral Sciences and Health Education--notified today!

still waiting on Columbia

Anyone still struggling getting their apps ready before the Feb 1st deadline most schools have?

For those that got admissions to hopkins: how long after your status stated that your application was sent to the committee for review did you hear back about admissions?
For those that are applying to columbia: How long after submitting did you get your password for tracking your documents? I sent mine a week ago but i did not receive anything from them yet.
thank you

i got my columbia info about 2 wks after i submitted to track my application

For those that are applying to columbia: How long after submitting did you get your password for tracking your documents? I sent mine a week ago but i did not receive anything from them yet.
thank you

Mine took a little over a week. They send you an application ID via e-mail.

For those that got admissions to hopkins: how long after your status stated that your application was sent to the committee for review did you hear back about admissions?
thank you

I turned in my app by the end of October, it was complete by the 12th of November, I got the acceptance last week.

Accepted to Dartmouth today!!!!!! It was posted on the application website.

Accepted to Dartmouth today!!!!!! It was posted on the application website.

congrats! r u going??how long did it take after your file was complete.

Yes I am going!!! I applied very early, I was complete Nov 28th. I dont think they met over the holidays and break.

MPH,

I believe the turnaround time for hopkins status page from being sent to committee to a decision was 2-3 weeks. I'm not positive on this however, it may have been closer to a month.

Good luck with your applications!

Thanx MPH, but its nice that they allow the flexibility to change if needed or wanted.

thank you everyone for the replies!

Accepted to BU today for MPH in epidemiology.

Anyone still struggling getting their apps ready before the Feb 1st deadline most schools have?

Yeah, me. I am still to send apps to schools to try and meet their Feb 1st deadline. Hows it going?

for those accepted to DARTMOUTH, is there a deposite required??if so, how much and how long until its due. thanks. ive searched the website but couldnt come up with an answer.
-davisdude

i applied to the dartmouth mph program back in december and received notice that i was rejected today. rejected! not even wait-listed or anything. plus i think people are still applying to the program since it has rolling admissions. i was really disappointed because everyone mentioned that they weren't that selective. my stats were 3.2 gpa and 1380 GRE, 2+ yrs of working as a health educator and at a free clinic, member of americorps, community volunteer with commendation from the mayor, etc. if anyone has any ideas on why i was rejected or knows who i can contact to find out why, feel free to PM me...otherwise, i'll be over here feeling inadequate :confused:

wow- with your stats and you were rejected! kinda has me worried now..
Maybe just call their admissions desk and ask to speak to someone about it?

wow bbas! congratulations! Do you mind sharing your GRE score and GPA? Also, did you have a lot of experience?? I am really hoping to get into BU but I am worried about not having enough experience....

I am very surprised that you were rejected from Dartmouth. Those are competitive stats for any public health school. Something must have gone wrong. You'd be surprised. Oftentimes youl see a school reject someone who they might think is overqualified, and is using their school as a "safety". I would atleast inquire with them, in a respectful manner, asking whether they could tell you what areas you could improve upon, in case of future application, so that they may be more likely to tell you what is up. That is very unfortunate.

Question, anyone who applied to Columbia and applied for fiinancial aid. Does your FAFSA application appear on the application tracking site? I submitted my Fafsa about 2 weeks ago, and it has yet to appear on the columbia tracking site. Thanks.

for those accepted to DARTMOUTH, is there a deposite required??if so, how much and how long until its due. thanks. ive searched the website but couldnt come up with an answer.
-davisdude

$250 before March, 1.
another $250 before April, 1.

i applied to the dartmouth mph program back in december and received notice that i was rejected today. rejected! not even wait-listed or anything. plus i think people are still applying to the program since it has rolling admissions. i was really disappointed because everyone mentioned that they weren't that selective. my stats were 3.2 gpa and 1380 GRE, 2+ yrs of working as a health educator and at a free clinic, member of americorps, community volunteer with commendation from the mayor, etc. if anyone has any ideas on why i was rejected or knows who i can contact to find out why, feel free to PM me...otherwise, i'll be over here feeling inadequate :confused:

Hey Bluehamster,

Don't feel inadequate or inferior or rejected- believe me, you shouldn't at all. It's more about a fit... you didn't fit what they wanted.. I know, that sounds ridiculous considering your outstanding credentials; but sometimes unfortunately those that are on the admissions committee are dumbphucks.
It's not you, it's what they are looking for. They're probably looking for someone they can mold into what they want or with less experience. In any case, it's about looking for a fit...

If this helps, my best friend - graduated summa cum laude, 1580 on the GRE-- got rejected from Hawaii, UT Austin, and UCLA
but was accepted at Harvard, Columbia... he was also rejected at Oxford twice but got in on his third try.

It's all about fit and who is on the selection- admissions committee...

Don't take it personal at all please.. you have nothing to feel inferior about. and besides, Dartmouth is not a great MPH program, in my opinion.

Head up buddy! Something far better will come along your way! :):thumbup:

Congrats to everyone that's gotten accepted so far!

I just got my acceptance letter today from Drexel and a merit scholarship! woo hoo! but yah, I'm still going to be +80,000 in debt even after the scholarship!

I got rejected from UNT this weekend. I've heard jealousy has many forms and UNT must be one of them! HAHA :laugh::hardy:

Don't feel inadequate...you'll probably get into a better school. I got rejected yesterday from BU and felt terrible. It wasn't even in my top choices! I've been published 3 times and one of my rec letters was from the director of the NIH. Guess I came up short somewhere for them, oh well.

For those of you who have heard from BU - how long ago did they tell you your application was complete? I submitted my application in early December and they emailed me a week ago and said it was complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee. I'm just wondering how long I can expect to wait for a decision. Thanks!

thanks for all the encouraging words guys, i think i will contact their admissions committee and see if they can tell me what they think i can improve.

For those of you who have heard from BU - how long ago did they tell you your application was complete? I submitted my application in early December and they emailed me a week ago and said it was complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee. I'm just wondering how long I can expect to wait for a decision. Thanks!

SOPHAS mailed my applications on Nov. 7 and I was notified by BU in late Nov. (11/27 I believe) that my application was complete. I was notified of a decision yesterday.

I think I applied to way too many programs, which I did with undergraduate schools, too. I'm terrible at narrowing down the schools I want and separating them from schools where I'm applying to, don't really want to go to, but am afraid I won't get into any other schools otherwise.

Anyways, so far, accepted to Emory and SUNY Albany. woohoo. both health policy and management programs. :hardy:

congrats to u guys. tt13 i would like to ask wat ur stats are.im an international student, i applied to 7 schools, but havent heard from any, still anxious. my gre 1050, verbal- 420, quant- 630. i applied to health policy and management to all the schools, emory inclusive, others being columbia, harvard, UCLA,hopkins,yale and boston.im getting really apprehensive, i hope i stand a chance being that i have an MBBS ALREADY

Got accepted into Emory. I choose GLOBAL HEALTH IN INFECTIOUS DISEASES.

hey sistamama, i don't want to post my stats up yet, since i'm still waiting for other schools that are reviewing my application right now.

i will let you know though that relative to the scores that you posted, my gre was quite a bit higher. as for my gpa, it wasn't anything stellar, but it was above the 'required' 3.0.

i guess i did apply somewhat early. most of my applications were done over thanksgiving break, emory included, and the remainder over winter break. i'm starting to hear back from the thanksgiving break ones (mostly SOPHAS-accepting school). i'm waiting on all the same schools that you listed except for hopkins, so don't worry just yet! =) there are others who haven't heard from those schools.

best.

its ok about your stats, my gpa was a lil over the required 3, thanks for the reply,still keeping my fingers crossed-positively.