Fall '09: URM's, What med schools are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seeking4Better

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to start a thread on what schools URM's are applying to for fall '09. I asked the question earlier about osteopathic schools, now I am asking about all med schools!

Looking forward to everyone's answers! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I just wanted to start a thread on what schools URM's are applying to for fall '09. I asked the question earlier about osteopathic schools, now I am asking about all med schools!

Looking forward to everyone's answers! :)

Hey...so here is my list so far:

USC
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UC Davis
U Washington
Wash U
Penn
Pitt
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State
NYU
Columbia
Mt. Sinai
NYMC
Brown
Dartmouth
Albany Med
UT Houston
UTMB
UT San Antonio
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Meharry
Howard
UCLA/Drew
Georgetown
GWU
Harvard
Boston U
Vanderbilt
U Mich
MCW
VCU
UVA
U. Minnesota Twin Cities
U. Toledo
St. Louis
U. Cincinnati
Suny Upstate
Albert Einstein
....and a whole bunch more...obviously I am not applying to all of these schools...I am in the process of paring down my list

MUSC
Morehouse
Meharry
UNV
PCOM
GA-PCOM
LMU
DMU
CCOM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
UNECOM
Western COMP
PNWU
TOURO - NV,CA,NY,NJ
RVU ??
PCSOM ??
OU-COM
OSU- CHS
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
KCUMB
LECOM-Erie

I plan on applying to all RVU and PCSOM are iffy but I probably will apply. I probably will add more to the list, I'm shooting for a possible 30+ schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to:

Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
UCLA/Drew
UC Davis
USC
Western
University of Maryland
MSUCOM
Michigan State
UT Memphis

There are some others that I cannot think of at this point and time. Lord willing we will all be class of 2013! I pray all is blessed with everybody. Have a blessed Easter and remember the importance of this day. God bless.

I am applying to:

Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
UCLA/Drew
UC Davis
USC
Western
University of Maryland
MSUCOM
Michigan State
UT Memphis

There are some others that I cannot think of at this point and time. Lord willing we will all be class of 2013! I pray all is blessed with everybody. Have a blessed Easter and remember the importance of this day. God bless.

I'm praying to be class of 2014 lol, but when you think about it, its really not that far away.

I'am applying to my state schools (OH) and to Hopkins, Maryland, Harvard, Washington Univ, Michigan, Mayo, UVa, VCU, Howard (my aunt's medical school), Pitt, BU,and UWV. I am kind of staying in the midwest but not going as far as Chicago. My state has a bunch of schools (Case Western, NEOUCOM, Ohio State, U of Toledo/MCO, Wright State, Cincin, and Cleveland Clin). I am interested in research schools and have tended to look at larger schools with strong research areas.

i will be applying to...
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
NYMC
u. of maryland
drexel
texas tech-lubbock
u of san antonio
u of houston
texah tech-el paso
U of north texas D.O
texas A&M
ut southwestern
ut galveston
baylor
i will be adding more to the list as time goes on

I will be applying to :
Howard
Morehouse
Emory
Meharry
Columbia
Univ. of Maryland
Temple
Baylor
ut- houston
ut-galveston
ut-southwester
these are what I have so far but more to come...

I am applying to:

Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
UCLA/Drew
UC Davis
USC
Western
University of Maryland
MSUCOM
Michigan State
UT Memphis

If you're not from TN or one of the eight surrounding states don't waste you money on UT-Memphis.

SUNY-Downstate
Suny-Upstate
Suny-Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
NY Medical College
UMDNJ-NJ Med
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Tufts (My alma mater)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson Med
Tulane
Loma Linda
loyola
Uniformed services
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington
NYCOM
Touro-Harlem

SUNY-Downstate
Suny-Upstate
Suny-Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
NY Medical College
UMDNJ-NJ Med
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Tufts (My alma mater)
Boston University
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson Med
Tulane
Loma Linda
loyola
Uniformed services
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington

I don't see Wake Forest on anyone's list. Just curious why that is.

Members don't see this ad :)
From South Carolina dont want to live in the other Carolina LOL

Did you go to school in SC?

So far my list is...

MUSC
Univeristy of South Carolina
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
EVMS
Mercer
NYU

I had more, but I cant think of the right now.

Did you go to school in SC?

So far my list is...

MUSC
Univeristy of South Carolina
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
EVMS
Mercer
NYU

I had more, but I cant think of the right now.

I only went to a technical college in South Carolina, but I was born and raised in SC. I was originally planning on applying next year to about 15 DO schools but I am going to wait until the application cycle 2010. I will probably add:

Morehouse
Maharry
University of Vermont
OHSU
MUSC (maybe I'm not really sure yet, don't know if I want to stay in SC)
Baylor ( a BIG maybe)

Oh, you mean you don't want to live in the REAL Carolina! :)

HAHAHA.... NOPe !!!! I'm trying to disperse throughout the US...lol SO far I'm doing ok.

I think for my 13 FAP schools I'll do:

Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UCI
UPitt
UWash
WashU
Johns Hopkins
Baylor
UPenn
Harvard
Yale

That's what I'm shooting for atleast. Don't know much about UWash OOS admissions for URM's so that might have to go...then maybe I'd fit USC in there (really wanna be home in Cali if I can...4 years of east coast is enough).

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep UWash on the list then.

Anyone know about OOS URM admission rates at Baylor and/or UMich?

Those are the other two OOS schools I'm considering but not too sure about their OOS URM policies.

I know Baylors OOS is generally bad, but wasnt sure if this was different for URM's. I expect not, since there are lots of minorities running around in Texas -- not so much in Washington. No idea about UMich.

Anything?

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep UWash on the list then.

Anyone know about OOS URM admission rates at Baylor and/or UMich?

Those are the other two OOS schools I'm considering but not too sure about their OOS URM policies.

I know Baylors OOS is generally bad, but wasnt sure if this was different for URM's. I expect not, since there are lots of minorities running around in Texas -- not so much in Washington. No idea about UMich.

Anything?

If you get an MCAT score similar to your practice scores, you will almost definitely get an "automatic interview invite" from Michigan, regardless of race. Also, Michigan accepts a lot of OOS students in general (I think almost half the class is OOS, if I remember correctly), so you need not worry about the fact that you're not a Michigan resident.

In the latest MSAR, for Baylor, 3168 oos applied and they interviewed 345, 49 people less than in state. From the US News I saw, about the same amount of OOS and in state were accepted. UMich accepts a lot of OOS students. From their website:

"How many students from outside of Michigan do you take?
Our aim is that about half the class or more will be made up of non-Michigan residents."

Definitely applying to:
LECOM- bradenton
LECOM - eerie
Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Med
Florida State Univ
Umiami (currently graduating senior from here with BA in anthropology)
University of Florida
Howard
Morehouse
NYU (I did my freshman year here)
Florida Int'l University

I have 3.26gpa 3.0sci 28 mcat Florida resident. Black male. 3 years as a nurse. BA anthropology with minor in bio/chem. Any schools I am forgetting???

Oh and I am on alternate list at NOVA would EDP at nova be a good idea?

Definitely applying to:
LECOM- bradenton
LECOM - eerie
Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Med
Florida State Univ
Umiami (currently graduating senior from here with BA in anthropology)
University of Florida
Howard
Morehouse
NYU (I did my freshman year here)
Florida Int'l University

I have 3.26gpa 3.0sci 28 mcat Florida resident. Black male. 3 years as a nurse. BA anthropology with minor in bio/chem. Any schools I am forgetting???

Oh and I am on alternate list at NOVA would EDP at nova be a good idea?

You are wanting to stay in the Florida area??

yeah i wanna stay in florida. i wish I knew which schools were OOS friendly.

I wouldn't mind northeast. Is that where you're from? I'd much prefer sunny weather to snow. Atleast in clinical rotations I won't see too many cases of frostbite down here in miami.

I wouldn't mind northeast. Is that where you're from? I'd much prefer sunny weather to snow. Atleast in clinical rotations I won't see too many cases of frostbite down here in miami.

No I am from South Carolina, but I think that's where I want to settle is in Vermont or Maine.

No I am from South Carolina, but I think that's where I want to settle is in Vermont or Maine.

I think if I were to settle up there it would have to be after medical school. I'd much rather have the comfort of home during medical school instead of adjusting to a new environment while in school? How do the northeastern medical schools look at oos'ers like us?

I think if I were to settle up there it would have to be after medical school. I'd much rather have the comfort of home during medical school instead of adjusting to a new environment while in school? How do the northeastern medical schools look at oos'ers like us?

Well University of Vermont as I know is a private medical school even though its the only one in Vermont. I could be wrong but I dont think so LOL. And well they do accept OOSer's. University of New England in Maine is in the same boat as well, they tend to accept alot of OOSer's. Those are the only two schools I am interested in in the Northeastern part. But I am applying to NJ's DO school, but they do accept more INstaters than OOSer's. Well I think since I am a nomad lol, that settling up there while in medical school would benefit me more. I guess I believe in going to a medical school where I know I would want to settle in that area or state.

Well University of Vermont as I know is a private medical school even though its the only one in Vermont. I could be wrong but I dont think so LOL. And well they do accept OOSer's. University of New England in Maine is in the same boat as well, they tend to accept alot of OOSer's. Those are the only two schools I am interested in in the Northeastern part. But I am applying to NJ's DO school, but they do accept more INstaters than OOSer's. Well I think since I am a nomad lol, that settling up there while in medical school would benefit me more. I guess I believe in going to a medical school where I know I would want to settle in that area or state.

I fell ya. I'm trying to research all the schools in the US right now as i fill out my amcas/aacomas. Last time I applied to few schools and like an idiot i applied to many that had requirements that I didn't fulfill or to places that after I really looked into them I didn't want to go there. Just trying to be prepared this time. But every OOS school you apply to don't you kinda have to show some kind of time to the area? I mean I know you don't but I don't want them to think i'm just gonna go to their school and leave as soon as I graduate. The private schools won't care but the public ones will.

I fell ya. I'm trying to research all the schools in the US right now as i fill out my amcas/aacomas. Last time I applied to few schools and like an idiot i applied to many that had requirements that I didn't fulfill or to places that after I really looked into them I didn't want to go there. Just trying to be prepared this time. But every OOS school you apply to don't you kinda have to show some kind of time to the area? I mean I know you don't but I don't want them to think i'm just gonna go to their school and leave as soon as I graduate. The private schools won't care but the public ones will.

I am not sure about that. How many schools are you applying this cycle?? Did you apply early last cycle?? And are you considering DO schools as well??

I am not sure about that. How many schools are you applying this cycle?? Did you apply early last cycle?? And are you considering DO schools as well??

last year i was verified in november. I applied to 7 schools: 5DO and 2 MD (morehouse and howard) but i only sent in 1 secondary (to Nova Southeastern in florida) despite getting secondaries to 6/7 schools. this cycle i'm going to apply (for sure ) to

UMiami (where I just got bachelor's degree)
USF
FIU
UF
UCF
NOVA SOUTHEASTERN (where I am waitlisted currently)
LECOM - Bradenton
Drexel
LECOM - Eerie
MEHARRY
MOREHOUSE
HOWARD
USUHS

my sci gpa is about a 3.0 (2.999 something with a B- retake in orgo 2 and a B in orgo lab not factored in yet) and overall 3.2. I will add more schools as I go thru their websites and figure out where else would be a good fit.

HOw about you?

last year i was verified in november. I applied to 7 schools: 5DO and 2 MD (morehouse and howard) but i only sent in 1 secondary (to Nova Southeastern in florida) despite getting secondaries to 6/7 schools. this cycle i'm going to apply (for sure ) to

UMiami (where I just got bachelor's degree)
USF
FIU
UF
UCF
NOVA SOUTHEASTERN (where I am waitlisted currently)
LECOM - Bradenton
Drexel
LECOM - Eerie
MEHARRY
MOREHOUSE
HOWARD
USUHS

my sci gpa is about a 3.0 (2.999 something with a B- retake in orgo 2 and a B in orgo lab not factored in yet) and overall 3.2. I will add more schools as I go thru their websites and figure out where else would be a good fit.

Well I am not applying until summer 2010 for 2011. But I am basically only applying to DO schools but I am planning on applying to Morehouse and Maharry and maybe University of Vermont ( I am still on the fence about this one).

UNECOM
PCOM-GA
NSUCOM
DMUCOM
DCOM
KCOM
KCUMB
PNWUCOM
RVUCOM
OSUCOM
OUCOM
AZCOM
TOURCO CA
MSUCOM
PSCOM

I think that's about all the schools I am going to apply to. But I still have two years to decide on my final list. Hopefully next year I can get to some open houses so I can get a feel for different schools. Good luck on this cycle.

Well I am not applying until summer 2010 for 2011. But I am basically only applying to DO schools but I am planning on applying to Morehouse and Maharry and maybe University of Vermont ( I am still on the fence about this one).

UNECOM
PCOM-GA
NSUCOM
DMUCOM
DCOM
KCOM
KCUMB
PNWUCOM
RVUCOM
OSUCOM
OUCOM
AZCOM
TOURCO CA
MSUCOM
PSCOM

I think that's about all the schools I am going to apply to. But I still have two years to decide on my final list. Hopefully next year I can get to some open houses so I can get a feel for different schools. Good luck on this cycle.

that's cool you're getting an early jump on things thinking about it two years ahead. You still in college?

that's cool you're getting an early jump on things thinking about it two years ahead. You still in college?

Yea I am still in school, but definately not a traditional young buckie.LOL I was originally planning on applying next cycle, but thought I would be better if I applied after I graduated instead of going through the process while still in school. I am trying to minimize the stress level as much as possible lol.

Yea I am still in school, but definately not a traditional young buckie.LOL I was originally planning on applying next cycle, but thought I would be better if I applied after I graduated instead of going through the process while still in school. I am trying to minimize the stress level as much as possible lol.

That's cool. Another factor I should've considered last year was stress. Have you noticed that we're the only two posting on this thread now for like the last 10 posts lol. :laugh:

That's cool. Another factor I should've considered last year was stress. Have you noticed that we're the only two posting on this thread now for like the last 10 posts lol. :laugh:

LOL yes I have noticed that. Its seems that there really isn't that many URMs applying compared to others. This forum is never really jumping like the other ones. But I come anyhoo.LOL Well I hope you get in this year or this cycle coming.

I am here guys! I am applying this june. I have been watching but haven't posted. I am really praying that I get into Howard! That is my dream school.

I am here guys! I am applying this june. I have been watching but haven't posted. I am really praying that I get into Howard! That is my dream school.

Well from what I have been told applying early is the key. So I wish you the best in this cycle. Keep us posted.

im applying to:
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
NYU
NYMC
Drexel
Howard
Albany
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai
Univ. Of Rochester
UMDNJ
Columbia

Don't forget to apply to UCSF. We don't get enough minority applicants. Those of us that are at UCSF are pretty close. If you don't mind living away from home for a few years, then please apply!

Well I'm a little early too like Punkmedgirl,

Hopefully I'll be applying in 2009 for matriculation in 2010. Haven't taken my MCATs yet, so not sure how competitive I am yet but so far:

Meharry
Howard
Morehouse
Baylor (might be a reach)
Vanderbilt (ditto)
Wake Forest
Emory (did grad there but don't like that they emphasize specialty)
UMiami
UMiami Boca Raton (Really like what I've read about this program so far)
GA state schools

I'm sure the list will grow or change (depending on the outcome of my mcats :scared:)

Well I'm a little early too like Punkmedgirl,

Hopefully I'll be applying in 2009 for matriculation in 2010. Haven't taken my MCATs yet, so not sure how competitive I am yet but so far:

Meharry
Howard
Morehouse
Baylor (might be a reach)
Vanderbilt (ditto)
Wake Forest
Emory (did grad there but don't like that they emphasize specialty)
UMiami
UMiami Boca Raton (Really like what I've read about this program so far)
GA state schools

I'm sure the list will grow or change (depending on the outcome of my mcats :scared:)

Yea I am giving myself a year to study for the MCAT. I am going to take it sometime at the end of the year and if I have to retake then I will have enough to time study and retake before the application cycle starts.

I think i'm adding URochester to list as a reach school. my 3.2 gpa is well below the 3.7 avg but I like the idea of blind interviews.

I think i'm adding URochester to list as a reach school. my 3.2 gpa is well below the 3.7 avg but I like the idea of blind interviews.

That's good. You still haven't heard anything from NSU??

Hello everyone! I'm new to SDN as well as this forum. Here is a list of schools I have so far:

Case Western Reserve University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Harvard University
Howard University
Michigan State University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Wayne State University
Yale University

Some other schools I considered adding are University of Virginia, USC, and Washington University in St.Louis (although the stats look a bit intimidating). Please let me know if you all have any suggestions. I am particularly interested in schools with good reputations, good financial aid packages (merit/URM), and access to diverse populations in the hospitals.

Wassup everybody! How is everybody doing?

No new from NSU yet. I think the only reason I got an interview was b/c of the letter of rejection for another person they accidentally addressed and sent to me.

Do new schools (FIU and UCF are starting up this year) usually take all 4.0 45 students or do they do like other schools and try to find a diverse class? I would imagine a new medical school wants to do w/e it takes to pass their first class and have some high gpa/mcat cut off that they wouldn't list on their info.