Failed the NAVLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meg009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

So due to a very emotional and difficult year I failed the NAVLE twice. The second time was only by 11 points. I am completely crushed by this as I found out I am unable to practice in the states (from the research I've done so far) without passing it. I am dreading going home (I go to the university of glasgow vet school...Avma accredited) as I'm low on money and I don't want to be working in retail or something while I wait to take the exam again. I'm feeling so down and hopeless because I've gone through so much and can't seem to succeed anymore. Does anyone know what I can do after graduating? Please help...I'm so close to graduating but I'm losing hope. If anyone knows of any states that give temp licenses please let me know. I'm very down about this.

Thanks
Megan, final year vet student

Members don't see this ad.

You may be able to work as a vet tech while you're waiting to re-take the exam. That way you'd still be in the field and learning. There are probably also animal shelters that would love to have you aboard their team. Or if you're in an area with lots of research you may be able to assist in labs or with the care of lab animals. While you may not be able to legally work as a vet, you still can work as an assistant or tech.

Do you have a counselor at your school? It sounds like you've had a rough time and it might be helpful to talk to someone. My vet school had a counselor and she was a valuable resource to the school community. It's more common than you think for vet students to visit counselors - I believe around 35% of students at my school visited the counselor (at least that's the stat I remember). Vet school is hard on its own and when life presents you with personal problems it becomes a new level of difficult. A counselor can help you work through whatever you may be dealing with.

Take care of yourself and keep your chin up! SDN is here for you if you need to chat :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Megan,
I can feel that. I hope you will feel little better to hear that I failed three times. I am too going through very bad and feel really hopeless. I realise I failed because of my bad prepration protocol. I heard if you do vet prep, zuku and read NVMS small animal you should pass next attempt. So don't worry you have an options.
I am here with my concern too, can any one hlep me please!I am in the verge of a decision making.
I have been unsuccessful with my NAVLE attempt for the last three times. Now as per the NAVLE retake policy for Florida board i cannot take the date in Decemeber but only in April 2015. But as you know there is an option by appearing the exam through Newyork board and then transfering the score to Florida. As they accepts the score of 4th and continous exam takes from another board.
Can any one suggest me whether I am taking a wise decision here. I mean is there is any hidden problem associated with violating the policy of NBVME? I mean I need to get to work as a vet as soon as possible and waiting till April 2015 is too much for me. I know that I cannot practice in some of the states like Texas by taking a date in Dcemeber 2014 and passing the exam.
Your suggestions are most awaiting as If I can take the date for Dcemeber I need to do that before this month end.
Look forward to hear from you.
Many thanks
Wildvet

I had to take the NAVLE 3 times to pass it. The first time I took it I admit I didn't study the correct way. I did about 60% of Vetprep and nothing else, and failed the exam by 3 points. Since I barely failed it I was confident I would pass it in April. I didn't have access to vetprep like I did before so I just read the merck manual...and boy did nothing stick in my brain. I took the NAVLE again and this time only failed by 2 points! But I did fail, and this put me back. I had to let go of an amazing internship I had matched into and had to really concentrate. I decided not to take the exam lightly and I would study hard core and was determined to pass it. I studied for the following 4 months. My school got me a subscription to VetPrep again. I would wake up at 7am and study from8am-5pm every single day. I started off by doing questions. When I reached 50% I switched to spending my time reading power pages and listening to power lectures for about 4 hours of the day and the rest of the time reviewing old questions that I had already answered. When I got to 2months before the exam, I started doing more questions and fitting in 2-4 practice exams per week. VetPrep should be 100% complete about 2 weeks before the exam, and spend time reviewing the material. I used to look up a lot of the topics online and read up. Clinicians Brief is also a good site to get certain diseases down. There is a list of all diseases and topics for every species that you MUST know in order to do well on the NAVLE....this list is on the NAVLE website (clinical diagnoses list). I went through every species and disease on the list and made notes to study for the exam. ...this really helped! The month before the exam, I finally started looking for a job somewhere as an intern/technician that would help me apply what I was learning to clinical cases.
I took the exam a 3rd time and it was a piece of cake! I really found it quite easy and i think it's because I was finally really really prepared for it. A lot of the questions were very similar to VetPrep. I got my score and ACED the exam! I was very happy. I think anyone should be able to with dedicated studying. However, if you feel you have test anxiety (I have 0), then I would recommend considering help (whether therapy or medication) to help you.
I'm sure if I didn't pass after all that work I put in, I would have picked another career...maybe something in the fashion industry.
Good luck to those that have failed multiple times! I know how stressful it is and how much it can hurt your self esteem. But give it your all, because that should be more than enough to pass! Also, let your school know what youre going through and find some help

Have you looked into the VIN NAVLE prep courses? One of my classmates used them to prep for the NAVLE and enjoyed them, though I think their true design is for those who have failed the NAVLE and need to refresh on main species topics. I think the course is $75 and each week covers a different species and basically hits the main NAVLE topics in those species.