Failed step 1 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaygupta20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I took step 1 in April and just got my score back with a 187. I'm very shocked and confused because I thought I had actually done well. I prepped for 6 months with First Aid, DIT, Uworld (2x), Kaplan, usmle Masterclass, and some brs. My nbme results are:
nbme 5-210
nbme 11-214
nbme 12-220
nbme 7-230
Uwsa1-220
uwsa2-235

I graduated with a 4.0 and never thought I would fail this exam, I am in utter shock and am feeling so discouraged. With all the prep I've done and practice scores like these I have no idea where I went wrong, and no clue what more to study. I'm probably going to watch pass videos and do pathoma. On my score profile it shows Genetics as my lowest, which is weird because I can't recall any of those questions. Can anyone give me advice on what else I can do, and when should I retake this exam. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
there it is in my humble opinion. You did not do Kaplan Qbank. This is a must in my opinion, more important than any other Qbank. Much more important. Alot of people did not do the MCAT and did just fine on this step. Kaplan Qbank is great for this step, horrible for other steps (ok maybe average for step 2 ck because it helps you learn their notes) Step 1 this is essential man. I think that do what you did and add Kaplan Qbank.

Many, many, many people disagree with this advice

Reactions: 1 users
Many, many, many people disagree with this advice

you may be right I am assuming I am behind the times lol. It worked for our group but that was in the past. I still think Kaplan Qbank was a decent Qbank ONLY for step 1. Otherwise their Qbanks are pretty much junk in my opinion.

there it is in my humble opinion. You did not do Kaplan Qbank. This is a must in my opinion, more important than any other Qbank. Much more important. Alot of people did not do the MCAT and did just fine on this step. Kaplan Qbank is great for this step, horrible for other steps (ok maybe average for step 2 ck because it helps you learn their notes) Step 1 this is essential man. I think that do what you did and add Kaplan Qbank.

Arguably one of the best Step 1 troll posts to date (in recent times). :laugh:

(Jk, I realize UW may not have been as big/existent whenever you may have taken it.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

(Jk, I realize UW may not have been as big/existent whenever you may have taken it.)

I remember upperclassmen telling us to use Step Up and guaranteeing "over a 95". I would just look at them like wat.

Yup you're right. Kaplan Qbank is what was used. Trust me I am NO fan of Kaplan, but they did have certain concepts that were important that were tested. However, if you go and compare usmleworld vs kaplan for the other steps, kaplan should be nonexistent. They are extremely lazy, because they're rich. I think Qbank should be finished before the test though. Just my opinion.

Yeah that's what I will start on next week, it's just really hard to get back into all this studying after I thought it was all over, feeling a little discouraged but at the same time kind of motivated to crush this thing next time around (hopefully). I was always told Uworld never considered Kaplan before but I guess that's where I went wrong :/

Yeah that's what I will start on next week, it's just really hard to get back into all this studying after I thought it was all over, feeling a little discouraged but at the same time kind of motivated to crush this thing next time around (hopefully). I was always told Uworld never considered Kaplan before but I guess that's where I went wrong :/

I highly doubt this was the reason behind whatever went wrong.

My diagnosis is that it was just a freak accident. Carry on. Redouble efforts. Go again.

I highly doubt this was the reason behind whatever went wrong.

agreed but it can add a few points, the score is so close. I cannot believe that I am advocating Kraplan, but in this case for step 1 it was a bit useful, the Qbank that is. It can add a few points to your score. As far as the notes I think that they did build a solid foundation, however you should do questions pertinent to that subject that you studied that day, and believe me it will stick, as opposed to doing random questions daily.

Kaplan Qbank sucks and is for sure not more important that UW. In my opinion UW>>>>>>>USMLErx>>>kaplan.

I have heard many people say Kaplan is good for step 2 and third year, but I don't know that myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Kaplan Qbank sucks and is for sure not more important that UW. In my opinion UW>>>>>>>USMLErx>>>kaplan.

I have heard many people say Kaplan is good for step 2 and third year, but I don't know that myself.

times change I guess. But if you have time it wont hurt. USMLE World is king for step II and III.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear its worthless move on diligently, and sign up asap. Do all the nbme tests re consolidate your efforts.

Wow!! So sorry to hear that bud... hopefully you'll kick ass the next time!

Did anxiety get you during the exam? How did you feel coming out of it in relation to the NBMEs?

I have no intention on adding stress to anyone else, just trying to figure out what's going on with my score. I never said I got my score back today. Here is the proof that I'm not trolling. http://imgur.com/SAJuB4Y

I'd say look at the bright side. What kind of position would you have been in with a score of 188? Worse off, methinks.

As an IMG, it is worse to get a barely passing score than it is to have a retake and get a 240+ the 2nd time.

That 188 for an IMG is a dagger. Won't make minimum cutoffs to any programs, wont get interviews. With a 240, 2nd attempt, you'd still get interviews, just not programs who say "no attempts".

Recheck came back and showed the same score. Guess it's back to the drawing boards for me.
Dont feel so upset about this buddy. Well it took me 3months to actually accept my failure...
Same **** happened to me- I was scoring pretty good in UW/kaplan and passed my NBME's over 215+. Took my exam and thought it was a pretty fair exam. I felt good about it that at least I passed (~210) nothing wild like 240+.
Got my score--- a big fat 184....
Sorry I dont have any study advice for you- Im working on reviewing everything ALL OVER AGAIN.
Cant even say when will I be ready to take my 2nd attempt on this monster.. Im pretty frightened to even think about what if I fail the second time around... I know I wont let this happen but I guess NBME predictions werent accurate for me..I fall in the terrible bad luck category..
As an IMG..failing step 1 is a dead sentence...Every time I think about it I want to hurl. BUT we gotta get over our depression and move on... HOPEFULLY we can get 240+ the second time around!

Good luck with your studies!

dude maybe there was an error in rechecking the test..because don't they have to compare the results of everyone else? I don't get how this is possible?

The ONLY ONLY ONLY thing that makes sense here, (which still technically shouldn't make much of a difference) is the fact that one should go by their results on nbme 13 and 15 as they are the newer ones.

I don't understand this at all wow

Scared and Shocked -
I am in my last weeks of prep and IMG too....
My last NBME 13 was ~ 214 and UWSA2 ~ 221
I am doing UW and FA for my final review....
So what went wrong with this guy ? text anxiety or just a hard exam full of his weaknesses -? if that were the case, one would realize that the exam din't go as planned
Also, NBME's should help you realize ur weak areas - right..?
O....I am worried now :(

Scared and Shocked -
I am in my last weeks of prep and IMG too....
My last NBME 13 was ~ 214 and UWSA2 ~ 221
I am doing UW and FA for my final review....
So what went wrong with this guy ? text anxiety or just a hard exam full of his weaknesses -? if that were the case, one would realize that the exam din't go as planned
Also, NBME's should help you realize ur weak areas - right..?
O....I am worried now :(

my guess is that perhaps the op had reached his peak potential and took the exam at a slight decline? Nothing makes sense.

For you since you took nbme 13, I would say thats a vey good sign. Take nbme 15 as well since nbme 13 and 15 are the new nbmes. If you do well on that like nbme 13, then take a leap of faith and take the exam.

I will be taking nbme 15 this friday, and have my step scheduled for October 24th. Can only hope for the best.

So i realized I never updated my second attempt score but I ended up with a 220 which should hopefully help me out in the long run. I re did the same studying technique just went over more of the material, made sure I took my time while answering questions without rushing through the exam like I usually do. Good Luck to all of you taking the exam and I hope none of you end up in my position!

Reactions: 11 users
As I said, I know a bunch of people who went there for med school or are currently going there. You should talk to someone yourself who went to AUA, and they'll tell you the same things they told me. I believe the general consensus is that they only care about making money from US citizens, and don't teach you at all - so if you can't get into med school anywhere else then I guess you could go for AUA.

As I said, I know a bunch of people who went there for med school or are currently going there. You should talk to someone yourself who went to AUA, and they'll tell you the same things they told me. I believe the general consensus is that they only care about making money from US citizens, and don't teach you at all - so if you can't get into med school anywhere else then I guess you could go for AUA.

Thanks. But i wanna know what is the reason how they have lots of residencies placement in 2014, and the school official told me the USMLE passing rate is 95%.

Beside top 4 which Caribbean med school would you recommend?

Can you please tell me the reasons why this school is that bad, that you would never go there. Thanks.

Beside top 4 which Caribbean med school would you recommend?

if you're really that curious, i can give you the contact number of someone who's currently at AUA. He already completed his pre-med requirements at AUA, and he's half-way through 1st year.