Failed step 1 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaygupta20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I took step 1 in April and just got my score back with a 187. I'm very shocked and confused because I thought I had actually done well. I prepped for 6 months with First Aid, DIT, Uworld (2x), Kaplan, usmle Masterclass, and some brs. My nbme results are:
nbme 5-210
nbme 11-214
nbme 12-220
nbme 7-230
Uwsa1-220
uwsa2-235

I graduated with a 4.0 and never thought I would fail this exam, I am in utter shock and am feeling so discouraged. With all the prep I've done and practice scores like these I have no idea where I went wrong, and no clue what more to study. I'm probably going to watch pass videos and do pathoma. On my score profile it shows Genetics as my lowest, which is weird because I can't recall any of those questions. Can anyone give me advice on what else I can do, and when should I retake this exam. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah I've faxed in my form to get it reevaluated but they told me it takes 4-6 weeks, which I cannot waste just sitting around, so I've re-began the studying process :( .... I'm from AUA

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you feel the exam went after taking it? I know errors are hardly made but maybe you should ask for a recheck on your score...

Hi guys, so I took step 1 in April and just got my score back with a 187. I'm very shocked and confused because I thought I had actually done well. I prepped for 6 months with First Aid, DIT, Uworld (2x), Kaplan, usmle Masterclass, and some brs. My nbme results are:
nbme 5-210
nbme 11-215
nbme 12-220
nbme 7-230
Uwsa1-220
uwsa2-235

I graduated with a 4.0 and never thought I would fail this exam, I am in utter shock and am feeling so discouraged. With all the prep I've done and practice scores like these I have no idea where I went wrong, and no clue what more to study. I'm probably going to watch pass videos and do pathoma. On my score profile it shows Genetics as my lowest, which is weird because I can't recall any of those questions. Can anyone give me advice on what else I can do, and when should I retake this exam. Thank you.

For those NBMEs...is that the three digit score you saw on the top right hand corner, when you submitted your form?

I thought the test was tough but nothing more than uworld. I walked out knowing I had passed maybe not with a 240 but at least a pass. It's all so confusing. Yes I've asked for a recheck but chances are very slim that they did make a mistake and it takes 4-6 weeks for the new results to come in.

For those NBMEs...is that the three digit score you saw on the top right hand corner, when you submitted your form?

good question but I don't think that those scores would have anything with a "5" at the end.

ADDITION: Looking at NBME 11 specifically

troll post for sure...

- got your score back...today is Monday. scores come out on wednesdays...
- if you're telling the truth post up a screen shot of your score

otherwise,

tumblr_lm2wv1mFGr1qfc9t2.gif

no reason to add stress to others that're in the same range as yourself &/or that plan on using the same study materials

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if you had any glaring weaknesses and you exam ended up being loaded with the questions you didn't like (like from your NBME7 - pulmonary was low)... from just 1 NBME you posted... I don't know if that may have actually being the case.

But....If that's the case, I recommend you focus on those areas... and work on retaking it while your exam's being regraded - like you are currently doing!

I know it sucks, especially since your averages were pretty decent.. but keep your head-up - every now and then, people do end up getting anomaly in their score in one of their test - it could happen to any of us, but it just ended up on the real exam for you...

Good luck..and let us know what happens.

Sorry to hear that man.

This has to one of those extremely rare cases of something going (horribly) wrong with the exam/exam day.

If you're hitting 220+ that many times, failing shouldn't even be a real thought in ones mind. I'm really confused by the outcome. Ive never seen a 40+ point drop from NBMEs to the real exam.

I don't think PASS program is the solution though. Knowing FA well should lock you into the 210-220 range. Do it along with USMLE Rx to really get that down.

Also, you will probably need to aim higher this time around. As you may be stuck with that attempt (in case the score recheck doesn't go your way) consider taking some more time and locking up that 240.

Btw, I'm confused. You said you've graduated from AUA. Don't you take it after 2nd year there?

I took Nbme 5- 2 months before, Nbme 11- 1 month before, nbme 12- 2 weeks before, and nbme 7- 5 days before the actual test. I can get the regrade, ecfmg has received my fax just have to wait to hear back from them. My biggest weakness was definitely respiratory, but on my step 1 that ended up being my highest score, even higher than pharm and path which were constantly my highest. The three subjects I scored the lowest in were Genetics, General Principles of Health and Disease, and Repro/Endo (which is normally very good for me). I did notice a fairly larger number of endo physio questions especially with the arrows, an unfortunate number of them were on my test.

The last 3 weeks were spent purely on first aid, just going at it over and over again, I managed to squeeze it in 5.5 times and was pretty confident that I knew that book in and out, even as I restudy it now I don't think that I missed anything. I don't think I'm going to even attempt this test again until I'm scoring 240+ on nbmes now. The only other thing I can think of is if I got test anxiety and just didn't read the questions correctly but I'm pretty sure if that had happened I still would've been able to pass. I didn't say I graduated AUA, but that I went to that school, I finished 5th semester clinicals in February still hoping to make 2015 residency match.
I hope I haven't scared anyone with my "Freak-result" I may have just gotten a very hard exam, don't be let down by my score, just keep studying and I'm sure you'll all do great.

I took Nbme 5- 2 months before, Nbme 11- 1 month before, nbme 12- 2 weeks before, and nbme 7- 5 days before the actual test. I can get the regrade, ecfmg has received my fax just have to wait to hear back from them. My biggest weakness was definitely respiratory, but on my step 1 that ended up being my highest score, even higher than pharm and path which were constantly my highest. The three subjects I scored the lowest in were Genetics, General Principles of Health and Disease, and Repro/Endo (which is normally very good for me). I did notice a fairly larger number of endo physio questions especially with the arrows, an unfortunate number of them were on my test.

The last 3 weeks were spent purely on first aid, just going at it over and over again, I managed to squeeze it in 5.5 times and was pretty confident that I knew that book in and out, even as I restudy it now I don't think that I missed anything. I don't think I'm going to even attempt this test again until I'm scoring 240+ on nbmes now. The only other thing I can think of is if I got test anxiety and just didn't read the questions correctly but I'm pretty sure if that had happened I still would've been able to pass. I didn't say I graduated AUA, but that I went to that school, I finished 5th semester clinicals in February still hoping to make 2015 residency match.
I hope I haven't scared anyone with my "Freak-result" I may have just gotten a very hard exam, don't be let down by my score, just keep studying and I'm sure you'll all do great.

You have an absolutely fantastic attitude towards this whole situation. I only wish the best for you and that score appeal.

I didn't say I graduated AUA, but that I went to that school, I finished 5th semester clinicals in February still hoping to make 2015 residency

You said you graduated with a 4.0, and I figured high school/undergrad GPA is irrelevant and assumed you meant med school.

I had several friends go through the KMCIC/AUA, who did fine, they did take a bit longer though for the exam. I'm sure you'll get it done in the next shot.

You said you graduated with a 4.0, and I figured high school/undergrad GPA is irrelevant and assumed you meant med school.

I had several friends go through the KMCIC/AUA, who did fine, they did take a bit longer though for the exam. I'm sure you'll get it done in the next shot.
yes med school 4.0; Thanks!

Yeah I mean you had a very wide buffer between your most recent practice scores (especially NBME 7 which is well known as a pretty hard NBME) and a 188...enough so that test anxiety shouldn't have thrown you off so much. I mean, I would think you would at least be able to hit all the FA "gimmes" on Step 1 and still pass. With all your prep (including UWorld 2x)...this just seems really weird.

However, it seems like you did a lot of possibly extraneous prep too. Kaplan+UWorld+DIT+that USMLE Masterclass thing (which I think is another paid guided Step 1 prep). It's unfortunate that you spent so much time and money on prep for that result.

Were you taking those NBMEs under timed testing conditions? You weren't looking stuff up or anything were you?

Edit: haha anyway this is not exactly what I need before my score release Wednesday...

Doing FA 5.5 times in 3 weeks doesn't seem very productive. In other words, I'm not sure if cursory glances really help. Thats where "drilling" of facts/charts comes into play, particularly when attempting to fix ones weaknesses. (I mean it took Phloston 3 weeks just to go through it once each time.)

Doing FA 5.5 times in 3 weeks doesn't seem very productive. In other words, I'm not sure if cursory glances really help. Thats where "drilling" of facts/charts comes into play, particularly when attempting to fix ones weaknesses need. (I mean it took Phloston 3 weeks just to go through it once each time.)

Yeah, I agree with you. It kind of makes sense. It seems more and more people are reporting that FA isn't as relevant, but I'm thinking that they say that in the context of buzzwords or typical presentations and not necessarily the content itself. I don't think I've even completed a complete read-through of FA, but I use it often for reference if I'm ever confused on something. I hate reading it straight up, especially when you read one line from it but are expected to know that line in so much more detail e.g., cyclophosphamide --> hemorrhagic cystitis, but it doesn't really cover why or how mesna works to correct it, which makes for memorizing or recognizing it on the exam much more difficult.

Yeah I mean you had a very wide buffer between your most recent practice scores (especially NBME 7 which is well known as a pretty hard NBME) and a 188...enough so that test anxiety shouldn't have thrown you off so much. I mean, I would think you would at least be able to hit all the FA "gimmes" on Step 1 and still pass. With all your prep (including UWorld 2x)...this just seems really weird.

However, it seems like you did a lot of possibly extraneous prep too. Kaplan+UWorld+DIT+that USMLE Masterclass thing (which I think is another paid guided Step 1 prep). It's unfortunate that you spent so much time and money on prep for that result.

Were you taking those NBMEs under timed testing conditions? You weren't looking stuff up or anything were you?

Edit: haha anyway this is not exactly what I need before my score release Wednesday...

You see why I was worried...:(

You see why I was worried...:(

Yeah but there are a lot of specific details that should be filled in before anyone can evaluate what could have gone wrong. What was his UWorld avg? Was he doing them random timed? What was the Kaplan avg? NBME/UWSA testing conditions?

Another pitfall may have been the fact that he essentially did no questions for 3 weeks before the exam. That's almost an entire study period for some people. It's very easy to get out of test question answering mode.

I still don't think any of those are severe enough for a fail though...maybe a crappy score but failing is pretty extreme.

Yeah but there are a lot of specific details that should be filled in before anyone can evaluate what could have gone wrong. What was his UWorld avg? Was he doing them random timed? What was the Kaplan avg? NBME/UWSA testing conditions?

Another pitfall may have been the fact that he essentially did no questions for 3 weeks before the exam. That's almost an entire study period for some people. It's very easy to get out of test question answering mode.

I still don't think any of those are severe enough for a fail though...maybe a crappy score but failing is pretty extreme.

those feels when somebody with same scoring range doesn't make it....we all gonna make it brah...

hope you get that 250+

nbme 5-210
nbme 11-214
nbme 12-220
nbme 7-230
Uwsa1-220
uwsa2-235

I have to ask, did you have something similar happen with the MCAT such as a huge glaring difference between practice and the real thing?

OP, did you sleep well the night before the test? I was laser-focused while taking my NBME but I couldn't sleep the night before Step 1 because I was so nervous. It caused me to be pretty tired and zonked-out during my Step 1, and I couldnt focus very well at all. I'm scared it will cause a big difference between my NBME and my actual Step 1 result :scared:

I see this as bizarre based on youre prep, it is spot on actually. Only thing I would advise is a Kaplan live lectures class, and more time spent on broad based topics Pathoma and Goljan are key seems like. Big picture type of studying, which can help you answer the detailed questions asked. A good way to help you memorize First Aid is USMLE Rx question bank. Did you do the Kaplan Qbank? Please don't listen to the MCAT predicts your USMLE debate that is sure to pop up soon.

I see this as bizarre based on youre prep, it is spot on actually. Only thing I would advise is a Kaplan live lectures class, and more time spent on broad based topics Pathoma and Goljan are key seems like. Big picture type of studying, which can help you answer the detailed questions asked. A good way to help you memorize First Aid is USMLE Rx question bank. Did you do the Kaplan Qbank? Please don't listen to the MCAT predicts your USMLE debate that is sure to pop up soon.

There isn't any MCAT predicting USMLE debate popping up. The reason MLT2MT2DO asked that was to see if the OP has a history of test anxiety or has historically has done worse on real exams vs. practice tests.

He either didn't take the MCAT (like me) or didn't do so hot which is why he's an IMG. I have yet to hear that debate come up though as long as Ive been on these threads.

Yep. This.

There are tons of those threads, if not here then elsewhere. MCAT predicting USMLE performance. I agree with it based solely on test taking anxiety related issues as mentioned here, but not medical knowledge concerns. It sounds like medical knowledge is solid, then again I do not know how the testing system goes there. Also I hate the concept of NBME predicting USMLE scores. They are a MUST prior to taking the test, as these are very similar questions. However I hate when they are used on predictions.

There isn't any MCAT predicting USMLE debate popping up. The reason MLT2MT2DO asked that was to see if the OP has a history of test anxiety or has historically has done worse on real exams vs. practice tests.

Yeah, my suggestion was going to be an SSRI if this was the case. I've debated this myself as I've had mini panic attacks early in my medical school career when high stakes testing came up in school, but eventually have found other outlets for my anxiety.

I did not have to take the MCATs' because I went to AUA directly after high school, spent 4 years there and am now in this place. I don't have anxiety issues, and as far as I can remember I was pretty calm during the test, I know on my 6th block I began to feel a bit drowsy and may have just rushed some questions. Could just be a factor of everything :-/ I did half of usmle rx and realized it was straight out of first aid so didn't finish it and I plan on doing kaplan Q bank this time around.

I did not have to take the MCATs' because I went to AUA directly after high school, spent 4 years there and am now in this place. I don't have anxiety issues, and as far as I can remember I was pretty calm during the test, I know on my 6th block I began to feel a bit drowsy and may have just rushed some questions. Could just be a factor of everything :-/ I did half of usmle rx and realized it was straight out of first aid so didn't finish it and I plan on doing kaplan Q bank this time around.

Now you're just confusing everyone...I guess the big question is how removed are you from your basic science courses at AUA? (when was the last time you took a pre-clinical course) Also, filling in other details such as your NBME/UWSA testing conditions and UWorld block percentages could help in identifying other possible weak spots.

How were your percentages on USMLErx...if they aren't at least high 70s low 80s that was pointing you towards probably not knowing FA well enough

Now you're just confusing everyone...I guess the big question is how removed are you from your basic science courses at AUA? (when was the last time you took a pre-clinical course) Also, filling in other details such as your NBME/UWSA testing conditions and UWorld block percentages could help in identifying other possible weak spots.

Summary:
1. He 'graduated' with a 4.0.
2. Said he didn't graduate from AUA.
3 He said it was a 4.0 in medical school.
4. He spent 4 years in AUA. (I think they do a 2 yr-premed system + 2 yr preclinical + 1/2 yr Step 1 + 2 yrs rotations. That's how it makes sense.)

He was not removed from pre-clinicals. They get a semester to study for Step 1 specifically. Many turn this into a year long prep though. (I know because I have friends who went through the program and just passed Step 1.)

Summary:
4. He spent 4 years in AUA. (I think they do a 2 yr-premed system + 2 yr preclinical + 1/2 yr Step 1 + 2 yrs rotations. That's how it makes sense.)

He was not removed from pre-clinicals. They get a semester to study for Step 1 specifically. Many turn this into a year long prep though. (I know because I have friends who went through the program and just passed Step 1.)

"How removed are you from pre-clinicals?" means "How distant/seperated are you from pre-clinicals?"

"How removed are you from pre-clinicals?" means "How distant/seperated are you from pre-clinicals?"

Oh, in that case...it would be one semester (which is dedicated solely to Step 1 prep anyways). So, I don't know if you really even consider it being removed from preclinicals at all. Similar to AMGs, just a much longer prep period.

Summary:

this.

All my nbmes were on timed mode along with UWSA 1&2. My average Uworld was about a 63%(subscription's expired now so I can't be certain)

All my nbmes were on timed mode along with UWSA 1&2. My average Uworld was about a 63%(subscription's expired now so I can't be certain)

63%?! That's pretty good.

I was only in the low 50s, and came out with a 217. Your situation really is an anomaly man. No way to explain it based on your stats/numbers or prep method.

there it is in my humble opinion. You did not do Kaplan Qbank. This is a must in my opinion, more important than any other Qbank. Much more important. Alot of people did not do the MCAT and did just fine on this step. Kaplan Qbank is great for this step, horrible for other steps (ok maybe average for step 2 ck because it helps you learn their notes) Step 1 this is essential man. I think that do what you did and add Kaplan Qbank.