Extremely Concerned Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHARMBOY69

Reaction score
So I am graduating next spring from undergrad and have already taken all the prerequisites and applied 10 schools.

Within 2 hours of my verification on PharmCas every single program was offering me interviews.

now I also applied to 13 physician assistant schools months ago and have only received 1 definite interview, 1 preliminary interview, 3 rejections, and nothing from others.

This has me very concerned because the Pharmacy Schools seem extremely desperate.

I want the Truth when i ask if I do a 3 year program [i am getting interview at MCW, MidWestern, Roseman] and pass Naplex can i get a $100,000 year starting job?? I don't care if its in retail pharmacy, can I use the PharmD for like advanced Regulatory Affairs Pharm Job?? Like I see where a Regulatory Affairs Level I makes like $50,000 but by level 4-5 they make 100K. Can I just skip those levels with a PharmD??

Or are there other jobs like can I start as the territory manager for Pharmaceutical Sales Rep and make 90-100K doing that??

I'm in this for the money. You will tell me hahaha oh go do other things go do finance or engineering or something else. I'm only good at science like chemistry, biochemistry. My brain cannot process things like computer science, or engineering etc. I'm really an idiot who just studied hard and got a 3.8 gpa and crushed bio, organic chem, physics etc. by studying my ass off. But like for example physics i pulled off B+ but didn't know what the **** i was doing i just studied 12 hours a day and memorized every formula.

So I much rather go for PA but because I'm an idiot I flunked my GRE terribly as I did my MCAT and DAT. So I applied for PA schools that don't require GRE and i did get an interview that has me excited but lets say it doesn;t go well. If my only option is Pharmacy [I also think i would get into podiatry my MCAT was 495 which i hear is good for that profession lmaoooo] then should I do it???

What other alternatives do I have though? Like I'm legitimately too dumb to be a plumber or electrician I'd probably electrocute myself to death lol. What other ways can i get into a 100K job and does PharmD make that a possibility? I am literally passionate about NOTHING just the money that is it. I think this or PA are the only careers i can work hard and make this type of money legally and have the capability to actually do the job. Even lawyer I cannot do since as you can see I am worse than an 8th grader at writing skills.

Please no snarky comments like an idiot like me should go work at fast food. I actually worked really hard to get a very good college gpa and it was a state school. I'm just admitting the truth about my brain power which is why my options are so limited. I know health care is a good field [at least other than pharmacy] I think I could be super happy as Physical Therapy Doc but again they all require GRE which I failed miserably I can't do good on tests.

Yet MCW and all these pharmacy schools are desperate for me. It feels great to be so wanted but i know there must be a huge catch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Well at least your honest about going into a career for the money and you are looking for the best ROI and there is no shame it that.

Even if you have to wait a year and redo GRE, DAT, MCAT, etc., you are still coming out ahead that committing to pharmacy which ANYBODY can get in the door. Pharmacy should be your plan Z. I know your peers might think you couldn't get anywhere and you had to take a 'gap' year but in 5 years you will like a genius.

Just remember that physicians are at 4% growth which is pretty low for medical professionals so IMO it is not much better than pharmacy. NP-PA is the path I would choose if I could do it over which is ironic cause it was my original path.

Curiosity. Have you taken any econ courses?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since you're in it for the money this actually isn't that hard to answer:

Can a pharmacist make a six figure salary? Sure. Most of our senior pharmacists on here make that much (coupled with spouses working it's more under the realm of $165k+). Are new grads going out the gate getting six figure dollars? If you are willing to crunch retail, work the odd hours in locations no one wants and live for OT payouts then sure. The majority however graduating are mesmerized with the debt vs. hours offered to work (ie not 40 hours but closer to 25 - 32 hours) with multiple applicants for one spot and salary not keeping up with inflation (even hourly rates dropping than in times past). If you felt the interviews were easy to get, what do you think that correlates to?

Regardless, you seemed to have answered your own question:

Within 2 hours of my verification on PharmCas every single program was offering me interviews.

This has me very concerned because the Pharmacy Schools seem extremely desperate.

I know health care is a good field [at least other than pharmacy]

...all these pharmacy schools are desperate for me. It feels great to be so wanted but i know there must be a huge catch.

My thought? Take one year to study and gather your thoughts and if the money tree in healthcare is still their then try again for the MCAT. The investment in waiting one year is far better than taking any acceptance now to anything less (in sole terms of money and income).

Members don't see this ad :)
Nurses are making bank right now. They are in high demand, the schooling is shorter and not as intense, and they can be very well paid. Some are earning $5000-10000 a WEEK for travel positions, which extrapolates to $250k+ a year in salary. That is if you don't mind giving up your work life balance.

Pharmacy schools accept 90% of applicants and the government projects there will be less pharmacist jobs 10 years from now than today. It was a dumb idea to go to pharmacy school 10 years ago. Going today would be insane.

I can’t recommend PA or med school as these careers are extremely patient-centered. You’re being honest saying you’re “just in it for the money”, which is fine, but I don’t think you’d be successful in those PA or med without having some aspect of altruism motivate you. Just my n=1 opinion.

Have you ever worked in retail pharmacy yet? Most retail phamacy right now are desperate for tech/clerk. Apply & work there to see if you can survive in those environment first !

Well at least your honest about going into a career for the money and you are looking for the best ROI and there is no shame it that.

Even if you have to wait a year and redo GRE, DAT, MCAT, etc., you are still coming out ahead that committing to pharmacy which ANYBODY can get in the door. Pharmacy should be your plan Z. I know your peers might think you couldn't get anywhere and you had to take a 'gap' year but in 5 years you will like a genius.

Just remember that physicians are at 4% growth which is pretty low for medical professionals so IMO it is not much better than pharmacy. NP-PA is the path I would choose if I could do it over which is ironic cause it was my original path.

Curiosity. Have you taken any econ courses?
What do you mean by NP-PA? I know an NP is a Nurse Practitioner. Sorry if sounds like a stupid question.

Nurses are making bank right now. They are in high demand, the schooling is shorter and not as intense, and they can be very well paid. Some are earning $5000-10000 a WEEK for travel positions, which extrapolates to $250k+ a year in salary. That is if you don't mind giving up your work life balance.
This... Nurses are quitting current employment and making more money as a travel nurse at the same hospital.... LOL.. They are getting paid more than physicians to wipe and babysit for hourly shifts.

So I am graduating next spring from undergrad and have already taken all the prerequisites and applied 10 schools.

now I also applied to 13 physician assistant schools months ago and have only received 1 definite interview, 1 preliminary interview, 3 rejections, and nothing from others.

I want the Truth when i ask if I do a 3 year program [i am getting interview at MCW, MidWestern, Roseman] and pass Naplex can i get a $100,000 year starting job?? I don't care if its in retail pharmacy, can I use the PharmD for like advanced Regulatory Affairs Pharm Job?? Like I see where a Regulatory Affairs Level I makes like $50,000 but by level 4-5 they make 100K. Can I just skip those levels with a PharmD??

Or are there other jobs like can I start as the territory manager for Pharmaceutical Sales Rep and make 90-100K doing that??

I'm in this for the money. You will tell me hahaha oh go do other things go do finance or engineering or something else. I'm only good at science like chemistry, biochemistry. My brain cannot process things like computer science, or engineering etc. I'm really an idiot who just studied hard and got a 3.8 gpa and crushed bio, organic chem, physics etc. by studying my ass off. But like for example physics i pulled off B+ but didn't know what the **** i was doing i just studied 12 hours a day and memorized every formula.

So I much rather go for PA but because I'm an idiot I flunked my GRE terribly as I did my MCAT and DAT. So I applied for PA schools that don't require GRE and i did get an interview that has me excited but lets say it doesn;t go well. If my only option is Pharmacy [I also think i would get into podiatry my MCAT was 495 which i hear is good for that profession lmaoooo] then should I do it???

What other alternatives do I have though? Like I'm legitimately too dumb to be a plumber or electrician I'd probably electrocute myself to death lol. What other ways can i get into a 100K job and does PharmD make that a possibility? I am literally passionate about NOTHING just the money that is it. I think this or PA are the only careers i can work hard and make this type of money legally and have the capability to actually do the job. Even lawyer I cannot do since as you can see I am worse than an 8th grader at writing skills.

Please no snarky comments like an idiot like me should go work at fast food. I actually worked really hard to get a very good college gpa and it was a state school. I'm just admitting the truth about my brain power which is why my options are so limited. I know health care is a good field [at least other than pharmacy] I think I could be super happy as Physical Therapy Doc but again they all require GRE which I failed miserably I can't do good on tests.

Yet MCW and all these pharmacy schools are desperate for me. It feels great to be so wanted but i know there must be a huge catch.
" pass Naplex can i get a $100,000 year starting job?".

I would say no. Walgreens is offering $45 an hour in my area for floaters willing to drive 2+ hours a day with 32 hours guaranteed. So 74,880 assuming you never took a day off (wags starts you with 0 PTO for the year). 74,880 isn't too bad but you will have high loan repayments every month and that is the wage you might get today if you are lucky. Retail is dying. CVS is closing 900 stores over 3 years announced at the end of 2021. COVID19 has helped keep retail wages on life support but after the pandemic is over you will be hard pressed to find a $45 an hour job. Overall, I would check BLS and pick a more in demand major such as PA, RN --> NP,CRNA . But if you don't mind lowish wages and a tight market pharmacy could work for you!

Pharmacy is expanding. I've worked retail and closed door pharmacy. . Now I work part time (independent) with an hourly rate that translates to more than 100K per year if I choose to work 40 hours per week.

My advice: find the cheapest pharmacy school i.e. you won't have too much debt. Prior authorization pharmacists make as good, and you get to work from home although the hours are not the best (5:00 a.m. Eastern from one ad I saw last month). A friend of mine quit Wag and got hired as a prior authorization pharmacist and he is liking it. It's a change of pace, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

With that kind of academic record, NAPLEX and MPJE should be a breeze for you! All the best.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
This... Nurses are quitting current employment and making more money as a travel nurse at the same hospital.... LOL.. They are getting paid more than physicians to wipe and babysit for hourly shifts.
What an incredibly disrespectful thing to say about one of the most stressful, difficult, and important professions in healthcare

Reactions: 3 users
What an incredibly disrespectful thing to say about one of the most stressful, difficult, and important professions in healthcare
You got that...That boy is clueless...Nursing wore out my Mom..had my Aunt in a Combat zone...My Grandmother practical nurse (baby deliveries and sick bed in a small town) MD ran down my uncle..and ME? RPh well paid high speed drudgery..

Members don't see this ad :)

I would consider optometry as well. Pharmacy is in decline. See it yourself: Pharmacists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CVS is closing 900 stores starting in a few months. RiteAid announced closing of many stores today. Amazon will use Pill Pack to further automate the dispensing process. I think today if you went to pharmacy school and finish in 6 years that would be 2027. Right now starting pay is $45 at Walgreens. So I would say starting pay for a pharmacist may be $35-$40 an hour. So while that is still decent income of $70,000 a year you must keep in mind the debt load as well.

As you deduced PA is a much more in demand and higher paying job.

Pharmacy is one of the worst investments anyone can make.

Nursing is one of the best. My friend is a nurse practitioner but went back to floor nursing because they make more. If you are a male then you will be even more in demand.

It is true, pharmacy schools are extremely desperate and literally taking everyone who applies (only exception is if you have something glaringly wrong, like a previous conviction for murder, etc.)

PA, is by far, the better, more stable career choice at this point. Will this change in the future as NP's are becoming more preferable to PA's? Maybe, but of the 2, PA will probably still be preferable to PharmD.

You flunking the GRE is concerning....did you have a bad day, or or are you a bad test taker? To have such a high GPA, and then do so horribly on the GRE, makes me wonder if your school is guilty of grade inflation. Although, your self-proclaimed lack of writing skills may be at fault here. Neither pharmacy school, nor PA school is "easy." Certainly easier than a lot of other things in life, but you do have to be great a memorization and regurgitating on tests.

As other's have suggested, given what you've said, your individual best best is probably NP (nurse practitioner....like a PA, but less educated and with more responsibility and power.) If you already have a bachelor's, you could get an accelerated BSN in 1 year. Now ideally, you would then get some experience actually working as a nurse, but reality wise, you could move directly into a NP program.

I would consider optometry as well.

Optometry is very oversaturated, 2nd only to pharmacy. Which I guess makes it a better choice than pharmacy.....but the reasons to avoid pharmacy are the same for optometry.

You should do the HSCP program for pharmacy in the military. Portion of school paid for and come out making close to 6 figures guaranteed.

Good luck with that. My best friend was a Navy medical officer recruiter. They take 1-2 pharmacists per year, if any.
Yes I agree that spots are limited but life is really good as a pharmacist in the navy. You can promote to O-4 and O-5 and make wayy over 120k/year with a relatively easy job.

Pharmacy is expanding. I've worked retail and closed door pharmacy. . Now I work part time (independent) with an hourly rate that translates to more than 100K per year if I choose to work 40 hours per week.

My advice: find the cheapest pharmacy school i.e. you won't have too much debt. Prior authorization pharmacists make as good, and you get to work from home although the hours are not the best (5:00 a.m. Eastern from one ad I saw last month). A friend of mine quit Wag and got hired as a prior authorization pharmacist and he is liking it. It's a change of pace, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

With that kind of academic record, NAPLEX and MPJE should be a breeze for you! All the best.
expanding? It literally is contracting with a negative job growth predicted over the next 5 years.

Good luck with that. My best friend was a Navy medical officer recruiter. They take 1-2 pharmacists per year, if any.
are you sure they only take 1-2 per year? My school alone had three accepted in a two year time period (in addition to one into the air force)

Just like any service, the needs change. However, historically the number is very low.
for what it is worth, this was 2003-04. Although one person was discharged from officer trainer school.

I have been in the profession for 36 years, AND never worked in retail. Pharmacy has afforded me a VERY comfortable lifestyle, allowing me to live in a nice house, put two kids through college with no loans (number 3 is going next). My honest answer would be different for every decade:
20 yrs ago- definitely go, enjoy a rewarding career with financial and professional satisfaction
10 yrs ago- well, maybe go, plan to be extremely flexible with location and job type
10 yrs to the present- definitely don't go, try any other professional school
I am very sorry to say this, always loved the profession AND am happy to get out in 5 years

Reactions: 3 users